Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
AUGH MAN I CAN'T EVEN HANDLE THIS DOUBLE SINGULARITY OF LPs!

This is gonna be so awesome to see you guys take these games on.

Also, I would like to request if you can put on subtitles for the English dialogue as well, cuz yanno, even for uncut versions or for those of us who are hard of hearing. Enjoying it so far! This game is already awesome for many MANY things and it is honestly one of the greatest if not the best entertaining open sandbox GTA-style game of this day and age.

I love the casting in this too, the guy who voiced Naz is one of my absolute favourite actors despite what little role he gets in this. Fun fact, Raymond is voiced by the guy who played Ryu in Street Fighter: The Movie, whereas Wei is voiced by the guy who played Liu Kang in Mortal Kombat: The Movie.
...I almost wonder if that was a coincidence or not.

As for why you have dudes called "Winston" in Hong Kong or so, lemme quote from another Sleeping Dogs thread that's going on from a pretty informative person.

Delacroix posted:

For countries like singapore or malayasia, it's common for people to have 'christian' or english names simply because it's easier for foreigners (like me! :sweatdrop:) to pronounce over their given name. I imagine it's a matter of convenience in hong kong too.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

The moment I heard those old-timey voices, I knew I would love this LP. I really enjoy your commentary and since I played through this entire game, I really wanna see your reactions to all this.

So how many of you actually welled up with tears the moment you first saw Columbia? I did. God it just looks so beautiful and that soft piano just crystallises it nicely. I really love the music in this game.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

:eng101: Robin Shou aka Liu Kang from Mortal Kombat actually voices Conroy instead of Wei. Wei is played by Will Yun Lee (who, as it turns out, played Iori in that lovely King of Fighters film).
Ohhhh right that was it thanks...wow it's kinda weird we have three guys in this game who are all "famous" for playing main chars in movies based on videogames. Not that I mind, I think it's awesome, it's real cool to see these guys still keep on in the acting business. :D

Edit: The Britishness in those voices is extra clear in that whole dialogue and it is just delightful :allears: I totally understood what they meant.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 18, 2013

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

poochiepoo posted:

Does this also happen with the phone booth environment kill?
Nope, just breaking parking meters.

I'd also like to point out that some missions actually DO have radio music pre-programmed into them specifically for just the right moment, such as that chase scene you guys had. Which I love and is a super-awesome idea.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Fun fact, the Possession Vigor's whispering is actually quoting lines from Romeo and Juliet backwards.

I definitely loved the radio dialogue and the blatant twisting of words as well as the selectiveness, such as "MALICIOUSLY MURDERED CIVILIANS" and such, that's definitely a very subversive note of a rather...dictatorial or perhaps autocratical society where they do not speak truth but rather THEIR truths. Something happened, but the circumstances they change to their favour, and that's just the news reports when some bad poo poo happens like well, you causing havoc.

It's just one of many really neat touches that this game has.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

The karaoke section still remains the greatest part of the entire game.

Seriously, Sleeping Dogs is probably the best sandbox game out there. It's just...everything in that game is built to please so much. I'm pretty sure also that they even had the actor himself go INTO a karaoke club and just record him singing the stuff on its own. Which is awesome.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

ThornBrain posted:

I hear some suspicious LEG BREAKING in the distance!
:syoon:

I've been waiting for this pain. Seriously is it not the absolute best move in this entire game?

Also Wei has the absolute best fast-talk I've ever seen, that guy is amazingly smooth and he gets even smoother later on.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 11, 2013

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Speedball posted:

It is some of the best fast-talking I've ever seen in the genre. Cool as ice, Wei is.

That leg-cracker move…drat. I don't know if a martial arts teacher would teach you that unless he intended you to go out and cripple people for real. That's no sparring move.
I think the only martial art I can think of that would teach you that move is Krav Maga. Every other martial art is all about self-defence and protecting others, whereas Krav Maga is like "I will loving kill you before you even blink."

Seriously though Leg Break is the best move in the entire game, and soon you can get a fantastic follow-up to that move which works on stunned opponents for an instant K.O! By that point the only problem you'll have are against Grapplers who of course are ungrapplable.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

This was the part of the game that starts making me really distrust Pendrew.

I really do not like Pendrew. I wasn't sure of him before but now I really do not trust him. I haven't even played through this game halfway so I gotta wonder what this all leads to.
Also, any playthrough of this game by anyone is amazing, so when YOU guys play it, it's loving incredible.

Honestly though, I do love this tutorial idea a lot, it's like CSI-meets-Mass Effect's gunplay and I found it really rad in how it sets itself up.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 10, 2014

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Air is lava! posted:

That oven certainly wasn't interactable in the toned down German version of the game. I wonder why.
...wait really?

...wow. Just...wow. I don't even know what to say to that, good OR bad. Not that it's even a problem when we have so many other ways to kill in this game. :heysexy:

bunnyofdoom posted:

Fun fact: IN Ottawa, next to the semi-famous club Zaphod Beeblebrox and the best dive bar in the city (The Dom!) there is indeed an all night ice cream stand.
I believe there are some in Turkey too, I saw a video of some sweet ice cream stands down at Istanbul, that's so awesome. Ice cream is perfect for every meal of the day after all.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

The subtitles for dialogue are for the hard of hearing. The subtitles on the videophones are for the stupid. Thanks for putting those on by the way, really appreciate it even if I know the game well enough by now.

Now I'm super curious as to what enemy is super-weak to crows. Speaking of which, here's a video for why crows are awesome. When you're intelligent enough to have fun for no discernible reason, you know you've got it made as a species.

Also, the music that plays as her theme is one of my favourite themes of gaming recently.

Edit: \/ oh my god that's so adorable!

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 21, 2014

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

If you don't like Elizabeth by this point in the game, then you have no heart.

If you don't like Elizabeth by the next big area of the game, then you have no soul.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

I can't wait until we meet Peggy, as well as a friend of ours from the States who is super-cool.

Also this first mission with Roland Ho is loving fun, I LOVED this mission and how crazy it got fast. ...but holy gently caress there was no way you could have done that last part, game what the hell :stare:

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 1, 2014

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

...nothing...makes me more happy.

Than the fact you chose that loving costume for that loving scene after the wedding.

This is perfect now :allears:

Also that chandelier has a weird hitbox anyway, it never seems to be quite exact on when you use it correctly. Also the Chinese cleaver is loving sick to use, it's so brutal!

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

ThornBrain posted:

Wei Shen: Winston

Look at what I forgot to upload for two months.
Firstly I actually really love that race against Hotshot just because gently caress you he is such an rear end in a top hat. Also I love the song that played during that part, My Drum Machine by Lorn I think.

Secondly, what the gently caress how did you do that with the bike valet, that was amazing. :allears: Mrs. Chu does not gently caress around and it was this that made me love her as one badass mama.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

ThornBrain posted:

Slate? SLAAAAAAATE!
Elizabeth's line about the puppy is, in my opinion, the perfect summarisation of her personality. It's naively innocent yet at the same time very independent and surprisingly fitting for how short-sighted the people of Columbia are for basically wanting the same sort of entitlement in one sentence.

It speaks a lot about both her as someone realising the unfairness of this world, and the people around her as people far too naive to comprehend greater turns of events. Maybe I'm just reading too much but I just really loved that line in particular. Also yeah Hall of Heroes is the most goddamn uncomfortable place to be in at first but the ludicrousness actually works for me here as being more of a nightmarishly warped vision of the world overexaggerated to the point of well, a nightmare would be.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

ThornBrain posted:

Wei Shen: Doctor

That screencap ended up being more perfect for that than I expected.
I am disappointed none of you said "Wei's Anatomy"...but I do agree we'd have a lot less crying and a lot less "the more I watch this show the more unlikeable they become" syndrome.

So, do you ever like, need a taxi really badly and you JUST see one before it drives the gently caress off away from you, but when you never need one they're like loving everywhere?
Or is that just me?

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

You really should have got Uncle Po a J. Jiggler (tm) Jersey so he gets super rad Face and recover in like no time.

I like Jackie, he's kind of a dumb poo poo but a well-meaning dumb poo poo, he doesn't deserve a lot of the crap that gets dumped on him and in the end he's just your best friend who'll do anything to help you while also failing at it.
He reminds me a lot of Larry Butz from Phoenix Wright. A loveable failure that means way too well but never gets quite that far. And to be fair, he DID manage to punch that one guy out right before you went and faced Yung so he CAN punk a bitch. Just that poo poo got really bad for him :( dammit.

...I did not know there was such a screen for that...part, oh my god that is loving brilliant :allears: also all the music is actual licensed, except all of the music on Softly which is all original music by the game's composers.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

ares5566 posted:

There actually is a tournament arc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ymwd6sObC8

It's pretty hilarious.
...oh my loving god I need to download this :stare: this is like loving Enter the Dragon and I loving love this poo poo.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

ThornBrain posted:

Without spoiling anything, Travis told me today that he recorded through to the end of the story for Sleeping Dogs, so we have just a handful of parts left now. But he's also doing the DLC, so we still have plenty of ridiculous forthcoming.
Oh thank GOD we can all enjoy the madness, I wanna buy the DLCs too after seeing that trailer :allears:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

ThornBrain posted:

I recently got my own copy of Sleeping Dogs. Have some Bathos.
That cop did not give a gently caress, literally. :downs: He knew not to get involved in that poo poo, like "long as no one bumps into me or pulls out a gun, not my problem!"

Also goddammit you made me love King as the best loving character you ever spun out now. THis really was your best drat video it has all the perfect elements of StrawhatNO, can you make this your subscribe channel trailer?

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 11, 2014

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

ThornBrain posted:

Wei Shen: Feng Shui Expert

Alternately - Wei Shen: Feng Shui Disaster or Feng Shui Bastard

Two more parts, and we'll be done with the story. Then it's on to the DLC.
This is the best loving mission :allears: Old Salty Crab is one of my absolute favourite characters and he's such a jolly old soul. He's like a drunk mall santa who kinda weirds you out cuz he keeps eyeing your rear end, but you like him so much that you just let him anyway.
This was a hilarious mission to do, I even have a save file kept just before this to replay it again. Also, did anyone notice how you got HUGE points on your Triad score for MISCHIEF?!
Like "oh yeah sure you burned a guy's face off in an incinerator but CHECK OUT WEI SHEN HE JUST REPROGRAMMED SOME DUDE'S CLOCK THE WRONG TIME :lol:"

By the way Yoshi's recording on Punch-Out looked super-good! Can't wait to see the LP!

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Speedball posted:

So looking at Sleeping Dogs on the Playstation Store, holy CRAP there is a hell of a lot of DLC.

They went DLC-INSANE with this game.

Which are the ones I can skip, the Horse Armor?
There's quite a few but there's only three BIG ones that add missions which I can't wait for you guys to do.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

I am really glad you showed off the special environmental kills at that last stage because I forgot to use a few of them.

...god this is one bittersweet ending, I mean I love this game and all but it pretty much ends like any drat good cop movie does. I mean, sure the story is a little clichéd on that front with the whole cop vs. gangster, the limits of one's force and the losses we must take and such.

But god drat is it fun as hell to play this. And I'm so glad I got into this game to enjoy that experience along with you guys.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

ThornBrain posted:

I'm thinking of dropping the subtitled version and instead having Travis re-send me the raws, then I'll just upload those. Anyone especially against this idea?
Any reason why? Does he have to replay the game for the subtitled version or something? Or are you gonna put subtitles yourself on the raws? Just so I know the reasoning behind it.

I had no idea you could Bronco the Firemen actually, I thought they were immune to that or something.

EDIT: \/ ahhh well...if it's easier for you guys sure because I dunno anyone else here who wants the subtitled version THAT MUCH, and I already played the game so I know what's all gonna happen, I'm just really watching for your commentary more than anything. Sooooo I don't mind at this point.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 12, 2014

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So this is Evil Dead meets Big Trouble In Little China and I really did like this LP just for going crazy.

Also I need to look up this Dragon's Crown game, that sounds loving mental.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Chimera-gui posted:

You mean Hsien-Ko/Lei-Lei?
Yes literally chinese zombies, and the game calls them by their name "Jiangshi".

They kill living creatures to absorb their chi or life force, hopping around because their limbs are so stiff within rigor mortis that they can't really bend them to be able to run or move properly. Funnily enough, one of the ways to repel a jiangshi is by them hearing the call of a rooster to indicate morning.

Which is exactly what happens when facing Stalchilds on Hyrule Field in Ocarina of Time so...I know "morning rises" and all that but it's something I thought was a neat note.

As for the recent BioShock vid, man Elizabeth REALLY loving shined out here in that first battle holy poo poo. This dame just keeps on helping as the best ally ever :allears: also that was some really loving lovely timing from the game to start blaring Jeremiah gently caress's announcements right over that rift's...sounds.
Luckily I got to hear it more clearly from the left channel so...yeah I never got to hear that properly enough so...that's interesting.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 24, 2014

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Wei Shen: Ex-Cop

That...was pretty loving awesome, thank you so much for that guys. It was pretty :krad: and I loved every second of it. You only made the game so much better to enjoy overall and I didn't even think it possible, but you did.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

I like the way Elizabeth's views transgress towards supporting the Vox during this and not in an obvious way, and theeeeen it starts to slide back again in the next vid for certain reasons. I do however wanna ask the StrawhatNO, which version of Tainted Love do you prefer? Soft Cell or Marilyn Manson?

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

slycooper20 posted:

As much as I would laugh to hear an old timey cover of a Beastie Boys song, it's the Beach Boys.
Momma don' crack down onto her ba-BACK
I don' know what you don't know ja-JACK
Better run home 'fore you get the sa-SACK
Intergalactic PLANETARY

And then you have these three Irish guys in barbershop outfits just steppin' off at the town square, with the Luteces beatboxing in the background.

...someone please draw this

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

MelvinBison posted:

Everyone knows the best barbershop quartet is Limp Bizkit.
Scuse me I think you mean the Limp Briskets coming atcha live from Little Minnesota just east of Comstock Drive!

On the note of the video, I have NEVER ever found Return To Sender so holy poo poo I cannot believe this thing looks awesome :stare: also this segment I on the one hand really love for the story but also I really hate for the gameplay because that first part with the Handyman was the loving worst.

Truthfully though, in terms of pure design and audio, I love the ghost part because the audio is pretty loving messed up to hear.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 20, 2014

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

You know, you joked about Washington and Franklin having a fight at the bop?

That actually happened.

quote:

In 1787, two days before they signed off on the Constitution, the 55 delegates to the Constitutional Convention partied at a tavern. According to the bill preserved from the evening, they drank 54 bottles of Madeira, 60 bottles of claret, eight of whiskey, 22 of porter, eight of hard cider, 12 of beer and seven bowls of alcoholic punch.
The innkeeper also added a 2% fee for damages made to the pub during the night, all of which added up to a whopping huge £90 of their tab. poo poo that was pricey for back then.

And yeah this...this whole segment just got really really disturbing for me, but I understood it running through it and was kinda glad to have something a lot more Bioshock-y.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Well I'm super-glad to see the end of the game, now I can't wait to see Burial At Sea since I never played at. I really shoulda used more crows in my playing through this game, those are drat useful.

Though to be honest I really hate that last part of the game since...ahhh I guess I've just been spoiled on final bosses so much that it was SLIGHTLY bit of a letdown and also super-annoying.
Even though you DO get the best loving "weapon" in the whole game for this :haw:

Did you notice the uh stone reliefs around the "siphon" when you first entered the inner sanctum? Interesting predictions one might say. I'm one of those people who genuinely loved the ending and was just absolutely blown away by it. I really liked it, but I also see why people DON'T like it, because to me this game seems to try to do too much in a story, and it gets kinda confused on itself.

It's still a great concept I love, but we could have dropped one or two threads and made the whole thing a lot more streamlined in general.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Robert Denby posted:

The 'coin always landing on heads' thing might be a reference to the opening of "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead" where the former character has the same thing happen to him and realizes something is wrong with reality.
.....shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit NOW I understand the coin thing fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck :stare:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

I have to say, lot of dumbass enemies here wearing boxes on their heads.

I guess you could say they're the Box Populi :v:

also WHAAAAAAAAT

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT
:stonk:

Holy gently caress she is just becoming the mighty ERASER jesus gently caress this is really messed up! But thanks for the explanation at the end of that vid I actually kinda wasn't sure about what happened until that horrifying explanation. How the gently caress can it follow up from that, I mean WHO are we playing as!?

Edit: \/\/ Yeah please because holy gently caress I really wanna know what poo poo comes next. How do you top THAT in mindfuckery?!

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

As much as I love timelines crossing over each other I think the only thing I really loved from episode 2

was getting to meet Suchong. That was the loving best and I am so glad we got to see that played before us, gently caress that rear end in a top hat. gently caress him to hell. :)

I'm rather torn on the part with Daisy though, on the one hand I kinda liked how she was just the other side of the coin to Fink but now that I know this backstory...well...a part of me's GLAD that she wasn't as bad as we suspected in the end but on the other hand...it feels kind of retconish and that don't sit right with me.
I dunno I'm mixed on that, I don't hate it or like it. The torture scene was inventive though, got me pretty nervous and hurting.
As for the entirety of BioShock making a loop of itself...well...I feel like all they did was add another layer to everything but nothing's actually changed frankly.
Things happened in BioShock 1 because they were planned. Now I find out that things happened because someone ELSE planned it so...what's changed at all? Only the players really.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 18, 2014

• Locked thread