Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«10 »
WEREWAIF
Mar 24, 2008

I heard it through the grape vine,
that Jesus Christ's blood became wine

Fantasy basketball is the only fantasy sport that isn't terrible. Knowledge of the NBA actually helps you succeed. The time to choose is now. Become what you were born to be.

Please use this thread for these things:

• Discussing the creation of an SAS NBA fantasy league
  • General fantasy basketball question and answers
  • Fantasy tips and tricks
  • Fantasy gags, spoofs, tricks, pranks, and ribs, to delight your auction draft partners

WEREWAIF fucked around with this message at Oct 6, 2013 around 22:59

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WEREWAIF
Mar 24, 2008

I heard it through the grape vine,
that Jesus Christ's blood became wine

Question 1: Does anyone know how to change ESPN fantasy settings so that someone like EvanTH can't cheat to win by simply playing more players per week?

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

WEREWAIF posted:

Question 1: Does anyone know how to change ESPN fantasy settings so that someone like EvanTH can't cheat to win by simply playing more players per week?
There's an option to lock rosters at beginning of week or something akin to that (so you set it for the entirety of the upcoming week, so you don't get the silly streaming poo poo)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Chris de Sperg posted:

There's an option to lock rosters at beginning of week or something akin to that (so you set it for the entirety of the upcoming week, so you don't get the silly streaming poo poo)

gently caress you, I'll stream 7 extra players a week if I feel like it

attackmole
Dec 15, 2007

If you lock it at the beginning of the week, then depending on how many roster moves you have you can still try to set your roster to maximize games/stream to take advantage of it. I'd say being able to make changes daily is actually better since everyone can rotate their guys in and and out rather than being hosed if Lebron James has a four-game week on the other team.

The Asian Oprah
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

WEREWAIF posted:

[ASK] ASK me about winning a league with inferior players by using my add/drop to sub out waiver wire players on 3-4 day breaks for similarly inferior players who were putting in 2-3 games in that same span.

[TELL] it was okay.

[ASK] ASK Werewaif why his pretty good teams always get injured and collapse right around playoff time

[EDIT]: Hot Fantasy Tips: Here's some Hot Tips: Heat Tips:

Kevin Durant is a better fantasy player than LeBron especially without any Westbrook.

Dwane Y. Wade doesn't bother playing professional basketball for the first half of the year anymore so you should trade for him midway through the season when he looks like garbage.

The Asian Oprah fucked around with this message at Oct 7, 2013 around 00:30

erezaka
Feb 14, 2012

The Asian Oprah posted:

Kevin Durant is a better fantasy player than LeBron especially without any Westbrook.

Wow you must be in a league where points rebounds and assists are not the only 3 categories that matter. Fantasy Fail

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

There is no future. There is no past. Do you see? Time is simultaneous, an intricately structured jewel that humans insist on viewing one edge at a time, when the whole design is visible in every facet.

Is anyone else not using yahoo this year because of the invasive bullshit they're trying to pull? Or did the nba make every fantasy site do that?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

Is anyone else not using yahoo this year because of the invasive bullshit they're trying to pull? Or did the nba make every fantasy site do that?

What did they do?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

There is no future. There is no past. Do you see? Time is simultaneous, an intricately structured jewel that humans insist on viewing one edge at a time, when the whole design is visible in every facet.

I can't pull it up right now because it's blocked at work but basically to create a team you have to opt into this thing that signs you up to a mailing list (maybe more than one) and also pulls any and all information from your profile.

It's like those Facebook apps that you have to give access to all your personal information, your friends list, and your friends' friends list.

H-Tail
Dec 18, 2005

"I'm not a crybaby"

I would like to place on record my keenness to join a league again this season, and note I am one of those guys who gets obsessed and micromanages their team until the last day.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008

Anybody know if the reverse fantasy league is going on this year? Where elections and missed free throws are good and thing like trip dubs are bad? I've always wanted to try it

ShaneB
Oct 21, 2002

I want to start a fantasy basketball league this year that's newbie friendly and supports lots of online poo poo talking and stuff. Facebook group integration would be awesome. What's the best site for fantasy NBA?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

I'M HUMAN GARBAGE

erezaka posted:

Wow you must be in a league where points rebounds and assists are not the only 3 categories that matter. Fantasy Fail

Every year people load up on points/assists/rebounds players while I load up on steals/blocks/rebounds with a bunch of grinders. I 6-4 people every single week by punting TO/Fouls and rolling the dice on FG%/FT%/3PTM/Points. It works without a hitch until I hit the finals and they all inexplicably poo poo the bed year in and year out.

mid
Aug 2, 2002

Bang.

ShaneB posted:

I want to start a fantasy basketball league this year that's newbie friendly and supports lots of online poo poo talking and stuff. Facebook group integration would be awesome. What's the best site for fantasy NBA?

I personally like Yahoo the best for fantasy sports in general, but ESPN has a pretty good basketball site. Plus, you can customize it by implementing a "Chatroll" chatroom there where you can sign in through your Facebook page and smack talk one another.

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

ShaneB posted:

While I've never been a league manager for one, I've been in a couple of leagues with ESPN and it's been fun. The main page has a discussion area, and while the layout isn't flashy and mindblowing, it gets the job done.

The Asian Oprah
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Inudeku posted:

Anybody know if the reverse fantasy league is going on this year? Where elections and missed free throws are good and thing like trip dubs are bad? I've always wanted to try it

I'll probably start one in the next few weeks while I'm laid up. Main concept is it'll be +points for minutes played and missed shots -points for positive stats.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

I'M HUMAN GARBAGE

WEREWAIF posted:

Yahoo has position caps on games. You should definitely put those in place if ESPN can do it.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

I'm on a 10-team, standard cat, head to head league with my workmates and this is how my draft looked like:

Kevin Love
Paul George
Jrue Holiday
Monta Ellis
Nikola Vucevic
Joakim Noah
Thaddeus Young
Goran Dragic
Tobias Harris
Evan Turner
Jonas Valanciunas
JR Smith
Tristan Thompson
Marcus Thornton
Aaron Afflalo
Reggie Jackson (actually dropped Jarrett Jack for him)

Looks like I have a surplus in rebounds, points, steals, 3 pointers and may have problems with blocks, turnovers and percentages.

Any player you think I should move?

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008

Noah. Move him. He will get hurt and miss games. His plantar faccitis is a concern. Plus he's always hurt. Capitalize on his amazing play and try to move him early on

Also maybe Monta.

The Asian Oprah
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Nooo Monta is a huge plus, especially if your league doesn't count FG%. Tied for second in the league in steals last year and that's one of the most expensive categories to buy into. Hes a flawed player but great on a fantasy team.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Yeah I think Monta's FG% is going to go up since he won't be jacking shots anymore. One hopes.

I just offered Noah for Anthony Davis. I'm thinking the guy would bite.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008

Monta was 4th in steals, with Conley, Rubio and Paul ahead of him.

7 other players were between .1 and .3 steals from him, 10 if you go to .4

Maybe it's just my league, I do 11cat, but monta isn't anything special but can easily. Look better than he is, especially in h2h.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Why in the world do you move Noah? He only misses huge number of games that one time he busted his thumb, otherwise he's one of the best fantasy Centers in the league.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008

He has the worst basketball injury ever : plantar faccitis. That poo poo doesn't really go away. At one point last year he said it was extremely painful to play with. He is also on a team that gets run to death and is a defensive anchor. He will crumble and is by no means a healthy individual as is. He's missed a hefty sum of games.

He also risks the end of the season rests. His team is probably going to win the east which makes me like him even less.

Plus he's hosed me over twice. gently caress you, Noah!

a shameful boehner
Oct 25, 2007

Inudeku posted:

He has the worst basketball injury ever : plantar faccitis. That poo poo doesn't really go away. At one point last year he said it was extremely painful to play with. He is also on a team that gets run to death and is a defensive anchor. He will crumble and is by no means a healthy individual as is. He's missed a hefty sum of games.

He also risks the end of the season rests. His team is probably going to win the east which makes me like him even less.

This is Tae you're talking about here. Anything relating to Chicago sports is usually wildly overcritical or undergenerous.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008

I understand that, haha. I completely agree with him on the calling of Noah one of the best fantasy centers. But unless your team is stacked, he will do nothing but hurt your chances at winning your league.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Inudeku posted:

Thibs will never rest Noah, he hasn't done it in like 2 seasons when they had the best record, why would he start now? If he wants to play, he'll play.

For what I'm assume is a 6th rounder, Noah is probably a top 3 center because of his assist average. I'll take that for 64 games a year.

edit: If he sits out for injury, Taj Gibson is like the best handicuff in the league whenever he starts.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008

Tae posted:

Thibs will never rest Noah, he hasn't done it in like 2 seasons when they had the best record, why would he start now? If he wants to play, he'll play.

For what I'm assume is a 6th rounder, Noah is probably a top 3 center because of his assist average. I'll take that for 64 games a year.

Because of his injury. It's a very serious thing. I have a mild form of it and doctors have told me I'll be stretching and wearing a brace for life unless I have double foot surgery. And mine doesn't even come close to comparing to his.

He got rested last year for it, even during the playoffs. I'm willing to bet it flares up a few times and he misses around 5 to 10 games for it.

Do not get me wrong, he is absolutely amazing and a great fantasy option, HOWEVER, I'd trade him early to max your return because he is very unreliable.

Also, no way is Noah a 6th rounder. Especially now. He is easily top 20.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Inudeku posted:

Because of his injury. It's a very serious thing. I have a mild form of it and doctors have told me I'll be stretching and wearing a brace for life unless I have double foot surgery. And mine doesn't even come close to comparing to his.

Athletes have the best drugs and doctors, and are also psychopaths to play through pain. Tons of players play through it, the bigger issue are his ankles.

I haven't checked the latest rankings, but I would not pick Noah in the first 20 picks. Too many superstars.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008

Tae posted:

Athletes have the best drugs and doctors, and are also psychopaths to play through pain. Tons of players play through it, the bigger issue are his ankles.

I haven't checked the latest rankings, but I would not pick Noah in the first 20 picks. Too many superstars.

Didn't thibs say he's going to limit Noah this year? Because 2 of the past 3 years he's been sidelined for it.

How the hell would a C who steals, blocks, and assists while also shooting respectable free throws for a center, rank 72(6th round, and 12 team league). That's goddamn Steve Nash / Mcgee territory in most mock drafts.

Dude is a great trade fodder because he is a 2nd to 3rd round pick who
will gently caress you during playoffs. Period. Almost 3 years running now. He is a fantastic player and borderline fantasy superstar but dude is a huge risk

I can promise you Noah will not last 3 rounds in a 12 team league. Ever.

TheFallenEvincar
Jan 1, 2010

I light up trees like everyday is Christmas.

hahaha, one of the people in my league just blundered into live-drafting a non-functional mostly-center team somehow (I really don't know what he was thinking).

I wonder about the feasibility of trying to take a league's centers hostage in exchange for good trades, though I guess people might just starve you out and force you to waive them.
Being a generous fellow I'm trying to offer him George Hill straight up for Pekovic.

old dog child
May 21, 2008

are perry'd jokes still funny or did I just waste 10 bucks?

How do you guys feel about categories versus points? My friend is commissioning our league and asked me but I really have no idea. We have been using custom points scoring for a while, so this seems like an interesting change.

attackmole
Dec 15, 2007

Just drafted for my H2H 9-category league. I went super-big at the start and then tried to fill out with three point shooters. Completely the opposite of what I did last year. Might be a horrible failure but it should be funny to watch.

1. (8) Anthony Davis (NO - PF,C)
2. (21) Pau Gasol (LAL - PF,C)
3. (36) Larry Sanders (Mil - PF,C)
4. (49) Roy Hibbert (Ind - C)
5. (64) Kyle Lowry (Tor - PG)
6. (77) Andre Drummond (Det - PF,C)
7. (92) Danny Green (SA - SG,SF)
8. (105) Kyle Korver (Atl - SG,SF)
9. (120) Marcus Thornton (Sac - SG)
10. (133) Jarrett Jack (Cle - PG,SG)
11. (148) Thabo Sefolosha (OKC - SG,SF)
12. (161) Matt Barnes (LAC - SF)
13. (176) Luke Ridnour (Mil - PG,SG)

attackmole fucked around with this message at Oct 16, 2013 around 04:37

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Need a name idea for a public league.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Linter is Coming

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

attackmole posted:

Just drafted for my H2H 9-category league. I went super-big at the start and then tried to fill out with three point shooters. Completely the opposite of what I did last year. Might be a horrible failure but it should be funny to watch.

1. (8) Anthony Davis (NO - PF,C)
2. (21) Pau Gasol (LAL - PF,C)
3. (36) Larry Sanders (Mil - PF,C)
4. (49) Roy Hibbert (Ind - C)
5. (64) Kyle Lowry (Tor - PG)
6. (77) Andre Drummond (Det - PF,C)
7. (92) Danny Green (SA - SG,SF)
8. (105) Kyle Korver (Atl - SG,SF)
9. (120) Marcus Thornton (Sac - SG)
10. (133) Jarrett Jack (Cle - PG,SG)
11. (148) Thabo Sefolosha (OKC - SG,SF)
12. (161) Matt Barnes (LAC - SF)
13. (176) Luke Ridnour (Mil - PG,SG)

I might try to get another starting PG if I were you, Lowry's not known for being the picture of health.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Need a name idea for a public league.

Offseason with hakeem

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Inudeku posted:

Offseason with hakeem

I went with Blatche Sabbath, but that's not bad. I also would have accepted "20 lbs of Muscle".

Here's my team. Alternate positions in brackets. I picked 3rd:

PG Ty Lawson, Rajon Rondo (G), Isaiah Thomas

SG James Harden (SF), Jamal Crawford (PG)

SF Paul Pierce, Harrison Barnes, Danilo Galinari (F)

PF Tim Duncan (C), David Lee(C), Luis Scola (C)

C Zach Randolph (PF), Andre Drummond (PF)

I feel like I really cleaned up, outside of not having a superstar SG.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at Oct 16, 2013 around 23:57

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I went with Blatche Sabbath, but that's not bad. I also would have accepted "20 lbs of Muscle".

Here's my team. Alternate positions in brackets. I picked 3rd:

PG Ty Lawson, Rajon Rondo (G), Isaiah Thomas

SG James Harden (SF), Jamal Crawford (PG)

SF Paul Pierce, Harrison Barnes, Danilo Galinari (F)

PF Tim Duncan (C), David Lee(C), Luis Scola (C)

C Zach Randolph (PF), Andre Drummond (PF)

I feel like I really cleaned up, outside of not having a superstar SG.

You have the best SG in the league?

«10 »