Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

I totally agree. I think some people are looking at the finale like it exists in a vacuum and didn't come right after two of the most soul crushing episodes of the series. If you feel like everything worked out the way Walt wanted it to in the end then I would direct your attention to the second to last episode in which Flynn tells Walt to gently caress off and die. The look on Walt's face during that conversation says it all, he's finally realizing that money or no money his family was destroyed by what he's done.

Oh god, this is a fantastic point. I remember thinking after Ozymandius "I'm okay waiting a week for the next episode". Granite State wasn't that bad in comparison, but as a drama, Breaking Bad gets loving heavy. The finale was a cherry on top. It was also exceptionally well-written, acted, and done, just like Breaking Bad should be. It was exactly what the show needed. Time will tell, but I loved the finale, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Maybe Metástasis will be like the US version of The Office, wherein the first episode is identical but it diverges pretty quickly from there on out. And given the way that Spanish-language telenovelas usually go, it will last like 16 years.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Apollodorus posted:

And given the way that Spanish-language telenovelas usually go, it will last like 16 years.

We wished Breaking Bad would last longer, and the jerk kind of genie overheard us. :(

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
Will danny trejo reprise his role in metastasis?

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

tbp posted:

Breaking Bad is almost supernatural, someone said this in a previous thread. Especially the last season had a very strong theme of God and the Devil hanging over it, that things take place because of the internal will of the characters manifesting themselves rather than those characters reacting to things that occur naturally.

That was me.

I mean, it's not really hard to see the last episode as Walt either finally admitting he's a rotten sinner and seeing that if he admits it for once, maybe just maybe he could reverse some small part of the pointless and stupid evil he wrapped himself up in. I mean the episode starts out with Walt praying to something, and then suddenly it all falls into place.

Now, some people (that lady at the New Yorker) could claim this is too neat. But remember, this is a show with ghastly premonitions, slightly supernatural moments of chirality between characters (that's really what's going on with Walt assuming his victim's traits, he's not assuming them but mirroring them), and the twins themselves.

Obviously it's not the X-Files, but the "neatness" of divine (or infernal, depending on your viewpoint) will that propels Walter toward his death is reflected throughout the entire series.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Nope, he's equivalent(because there probably aren't many Neo Nazi white supremacists in Mexico) of Uncle Jack now.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Danny Trejo should play Gus or Gomie or Todd, like how all the actors changed roles between The Corner and The Wire.

overtone
Jul 26, 2001
t(o_ot)

WickedHate posted:

The trailer looks alright. Metastasis sounds like a sci fi film, though.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/metastasis

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Danny Trejo should play Gus or Gomie or Todd, like how all the actors changed roles between The Corner and The Wire.

Danny Trejo and Cheech Marin play Skinny Pete and Badger

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

I know what it means. That doesn't stop it from sounding any less SyFy original movie.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

WickedHate posted:

I know what it means. That doesn't stop it from sounding any less SyFy original movie.
Mega Shark Vs. Metastasis :unsmigghh:

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
The thing that I think I love most about the show was their use of comedians on the show. My parents got me into Mr. Show when I was younger so I was lost it when I saw that Bob Odenkirk was gonna be on the show, back when they first started showing the promos for season 2. Watching his career revive over the years has been a real treat for me. They also got some good acting from Bill Burr and Lavell Crawford. I wish Kuby had more screen time.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

Xealot posted:

It's mostly surprising to me that the visual style of it is so bad. You'd assume the rights to remake Breaking Bad would be 1) fairly expensive, and 2) attractive to talented artists. I can't speak to how Latin American TV is made, but when I first heard about this, I assumed it'd come out looking like Sin Nombre or like an Iñárritu film or something. Not a goddamn telenovela.

If Vince was making Classic Coke, then this is Mr. Pib. :pwn:

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Interstitial Abs posted:

If Vince was making Classic Coke, then this is Mr. Pib. :pwn:

I don't want to live in a world without Classic Coke :(

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Why are they even remaking it? It shits me when America remakes foreign series because Americans can't bear (or networks think they can't bear) to watch something that's not 100% what they're comfortable and familiar with. It's just as bad the other way around.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

freebooter posted:

Why are they even remaking it? It shits me when America remakes foreign series because Americans can't bear (or networks think they can't bear) to watch something that's not 100% what they're comfortable and familiar with. It's just as bad the other way around.

There's validity in remaking it, in that it would be cool to watch the show take some of the other directions which were strongly considered such as
  • Jesse dying
  • Cowboy flashbacks
  • The suitcase full of blood
  • Walt's torture machine
  • The cousins as season-long villains
  • Gus's past
  • Skyler's suicide
  • Flynn trying meth
  • And many more!

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

When the twins are crawling to that chapel in season 3, they put a drawing of Heisenberg on the wall. How did they know what Heisenberg looked like before they even got his identity from the old wheelchair guy?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Burt Buckle posted:

When the twins are crawling to that chapel in season 3, they put a drawing of Heisenberg on the wall. How did they know what Heisenberg looked like before they even got his identity from the old wheelchair guy?

They heard about him from that one Narcorrido song, Negro Y Azul

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life

Burt Buckle posted:

What I still don't get is how that drawing ended up in Hank's evidence collection.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Capntastic posted:

They heard about him from that one Narcorrido song, Negro Y Azul

Metastasis will replace Negro Y Azul with an American rap ballad titled "Black and Blue." It sounds exactly like Black and Yellow, but longer.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

There's validity in remaking it, in that it would be cool to watch the show take some of the other directions which were strongly considered such as
  • Jesse dying
  • Cowboy flashbacks
  • The suitcase full of blood
  • Walt's torture machine
  • The cousins as season-long villains
  • Gus's past
  • Skyler's suicide
  • Flynn trying meth
  • And many more!

I think the torture machine and Jesse dying in season 1 were scrapped pretty early. Though there's been conflicting stories on the latter - sometimes the story goes that Gilligan decided against it when he saw how good Aaron Paul was in the early episodes, while others claim the writers' strike was what saved Jesse.

I've said this before, but what makes Breaking Bad remarkable is how much of a collaborative effort it was. Gilligan was never an authoritarian, OCD rear end in a top hat other show runners (most notably Chase and Weiner) were, he always was open to other ideas and interpretations. He's even joked about how many of his ideas (like the aforementioned torture machine) were so awful in retrospect.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

cletepurcel posted:

I think the torture machine and Jesse dying in season 1 were scrapped pretty early. Though there's been conflicting stories on the latter - sometimes the story goes that Gilligan decided against it when he saw how good Aaron Paul was in the early episodes, while others claim the writers' strike was what saved Jesse.

I've said this before, but what makes Breaking Bad remarkable is how much of a collaborative effort it was. Gilligan was never an authoritarian, OCD rear end in a top hat other show runners (most notably Chase and Weiner) were, he always was open to other ideas and interpretations. He's even joked about how many of his ideas (like the aforementioned torture machine) were so awful in retrospect.

Oh, the torture machine and Flynn trying meth are absolutely terrible ideas. I still want to see them brought to film as a comedy "there but for the grace of God go I" viewing experience.

The Torture Machine is especially hilarious, because it's supposed to be Walt's means of avoiding killing someone. "I'm squeamish about murdering this man, so I'll just create an elaborate suicide machine while brutally torturing the man every day until he kills himself, and that will certainly be easier for me."

I'm not sure that those stories are conflicting. Couldn't it just be that Gilligan saw that Aaron Paul was a good actor, and so scrapped the death when he was thinking about it over the course of the writer's strike?

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 8, 2013

NadaTooma
Aug 24, 2004

The good thing is that everyone around you has more critical failures in combat, the bad thing is - so do you!
I don't know what the hell is wrong with you people. This is an opportunity! I'm going to use Metastasis to finally teach myself Spanish. :ese:

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Is there somewhere I can read about the torture machine? This is the first I've heard of it.

E: NM found it

Drugs fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 8, 2013

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

The Job Creators posted:

Is there somewhere I can read about the torture machine? This is the first I've heard of it.

Gilligan talked about it on the last podcast. It would have come after Jesse's death at the hands of Tuco (or his story standin at that point) who originally was going to be a character closer to Gus on the badass scale. In response Walt was going to capture the dude, rig up a tripwire that would be attached to a gun that would shoot him, and continually torture him to try and get the guy to trip the wire and kill himself. Eventually, Walt Jr would stumble onto the guy and try to save him, but when the tortured guy figured out it was Walt's son he would activate the tripwire, killing both of them.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

spacing in vienna posted:

With Walter White now being Walter Blanco, they can't keep the Walt Whitman initials as a way of Hank finding out. I'd be curious how they tweak that; is there a famous Mexican poet with initials WB?

I hope that this remake isn't some fully faithful direct translation of the series. Breaking Bad already exists and I don't think it can be topped so soon. I'd rather see the creators spin the premise and characters off in a new direction. Similar to how The Office's pilot was basically a shot-for-shot remake, then became something wholly unto its own.

edit: did I seriously miss someone make the exact same comparison?

Mameluke fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 8, 2013

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

cletepurcel posted:

Gilligan talked about it on the last podcast. It would have come after Jesse's death at the hands of Tuco (or his story standin at that point) who originally was going to be a character closer to Gus on the badass scale. In response Walt was going to capture the dude, rig up a tripwire that would be attached to a gun that would shoot him, and continually torture him to try and get the guy to trip the wire and kill himself. Eventually, Walt Jr would stumble onto the guy and try to save him, but when the tortured guy figured out it was Walt's son he would activate the tripwire, killing both of them.

Haha that's terrible. What's the deal with the blood suitcase and cowboy flashbacks? I never heard of those.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

freebooter posted:

Haha that's terrible. What's the deal with the blood suitcase and cowboy flashbacks? I never heard of those.

Writer Tom Schauz posted:

We kept having these long discussions about Walt carrying a suitcase through the desert. There was blood dripping out of it. What was inside?
At one point it was Gus’s heart. At another point Baby Holly, for some reason, was in there.
He had to bring Gus’s heart to some Big Cartel guy and they were going to DNA test it. That was just a bad idea.

Entertainment Weekly posted:

In a series of flashbacks that takes place about 100 years ago — and would feel somewhat structurally similar to season 2′s floating-eyeball pool scenes — we follow the tale of a New Mexico cowboy. “It was going to have all these weird tangential relationships with a different cast scattered throughout the season in these three- to four-minute teasers, and it would all somehow in the end come together in the main story,” says Gould. “Walt would have a showdown at the same spot where this other character had died at the end of those.”

Cowboy flashback could have been cool in a Tales of the Black Freighter way.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

I feel having a literal Western flashback would have cheapened the show's great modern Western element. Still, probably would have worked better than the plane crash.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

The show was perfect as is and the only thing I'd change would be to have explicit gay sex scenes with Gus the way that there was with Omar or the black guy from the shield

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

The show was perfect as is and the only thing I'd change would be to have explicit gay sex scenes with Gus the way that there was with Omar or the black guy from the shield

That would have been an unacceptable level of sincere passion for Gustavo Fring, robot druglord. I liked that Gus made only one single decision that was driven by anything other than cold profit-based pragmatism, and that he died because of it.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

That would have been an unacceptable level of sincere passion for Gustavo Fring, robot druglord. I liked that Gus made only one single decision that was driven by anything other than cold profit-based pragmatism, and that he died because of it.
To be honest, I've sort of taken to the idea that for how calculated and cold Fring was, he pretty much did everything so he could eventually have his revenge on Eladio.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Timeless Appeal posted:

Gray Matter-it's "gray" as in the color not the surname. Lesson for life (In the US): "Gray" is the color and sometimes a surname, "Grey" is always a surname.

Nope. Gray and grey are both correct spellings for the color.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

cletepurcel posted:

I feel having a literal Western flashback would have cheapened the show's great modern Western element. Still, probably would have worked better than the plane crash.

Are people not fans of the plane crash? It's definitely an unrealistic event but I thought it worked fine in context, and that the episode lead-ins were appropriately surreal and disturbing. It was a fine if blunt way of getting across the message that whatever Walt's self delusions, producing gobs of meth really does effect the world outside of him in a profoundly horrible way (shocking!).

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

Fuligin posted:

Are people not fans of the plane crash? It's definitely an unrealistic event but I thought it worked fine in context, and that the episode lead-ins were appropriately surreal and disturbing. It was a fine if blunt way of getting across the message that whatever Walt's self delusions, producing gobs of meth really does effect the world outside of him in a profoundly horrible way (shocking!).

It's generally unpopular, but to be honest I'm not sure how I feel. To me, it was the moment where I really realized that you're not supposed to root for Walt, particularly when I read Gilligan's interview on how he wanted to "rain down judgment" on Walt.

I think in the larger context of the series, it doesn't quite work because most of the darkness of Walt's journey comes via his direct actions, and natural consequences from those actions. The butterfly-effect stuff kind of undermines it. When I think of the end of season 2, I think of Jane, Walt's first real cold-blooded killing, not the plane crash it caused. On the other hand, it works well as the first time it's made clear the difference between Jesse and Walt - Jesse recognizes he's the "bad guy" but Walt just rationalizes and rationalizes.

On the other hand, the plane crash creates yet another window for Walt to stop cooking meth - he made a good chunk of change off the first Gus deal and went on a guilt trip after the crash, but didn't start to cook again until he found out Jesse was, and then Gus showed him the superlab and won him over with the "A man provides" thing. I like that Walt had four (by my count) major opportunities where he could have made a clean break from the drug business but didn't, because he just loved doing it.

Also his speech in the gym is hilarious.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I thought the plane crash was a bit silly but I LOVED the black and white flashforwards. From reading along with a message board thread as I watched, I feel like a lot of people's problems were that the flashforwards gave the impression that some big cartel gunfight or meth lab explosion was going to go down at Walt's house, and the plane crash came really out of left field.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

Fuligin posted:

"God this show is just the same thing over and over again." :rolleyes:

Insane plane crash that is nine parts metaphor/artistic freedom, one part realism.

"God, this show needs to chill out." :rolleyes:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

What's really strange is that going over the whole series, it almost has a Charles Dickens style narrative. Dickens was a huge coincidence person. Like all of his novels contained just coincidences, and Breaking Bad has tons of them as well. Just kind of interesting.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
Interactions I wished would have happened:

-Jesse and Flynn. I don't know what situation that could have realistically occured, but Walt's real son and his surrogate should have a moment.

-Skinny Pete/Badger and Huell/Kuby. They can talk about whatever for all I care. Smoke a joint, eat some pizza.

-The Twins vs Uncle Jack's Nazis

-Todd as Gus's main henchman, masquerading as an assistant manager at Los Pollos. I wonder if Gus would have him.

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
The only way to satisfactorily settle the Breaking Bad vs The Wire argument would be with a Mike vs Omar duel.

• Locked thread