Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Harveygod posted:

"I have the talking pillow."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Was Low Winter Sun any good? I remember it got brought up in a lot of the previous threads

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I really like all 3 of the main actors (Mark Strong, James Ransone and Lennie James), but I just couldn't get into the show. I wanted to like it but lost interest half way through.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Capntastic posted:

Was Low Winter Sun any good? I remember it got brought up in a lot of the previous threads

I saw the first few episodes and just found the whole thing unbearably dull (can't even be arsed to remember what it was about). It's on Netflix streaming if you want to give it a try.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I would describe Low Winter Sun as a warning to other TV networks that just throwing pedigrees (Respected actors, directors, writers) at a show will not make it good. You have to want to make a good show, not just an award winning show. There was a lack of passion behind the scenes and you could really feel that watching it.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
You know, there was always that part of me that wanted "Ozymandias" to be the ending to the series, and I think I know why. It's because "Granite State" has Walt and Jesse do things that undercut a lot of the power of Ozymandias.

First is Jesse's attempted escape. The scene in Ozymandias when he sees the photo of Brock and Andrea seemed to imply that he knew he had to cook or they'd be killed. But when he gets caught he's like "You might as well kill me now, because there's no way you can make me keep cooking for you" apparently forgetting all about the leverage. You could argue that his plan was to escape and warn Brock and Andrea before the Nazis got to them, but then you'd think if he got caught he'd try begging and pleading for their lives instead of telling the Nazis to gently caress off.

Second is Walt calling Flynn. Now, I get it. Walt's deluded, obviously. Always thinking he can just convince his family to love him and understand that he did it all for them. But the phone call in Ozymandias wasn't just heard by the police. Flynn heard it too. He had to have. And Walt surely had to have known that. I loved the phone call scene so much because it was Walt severing his connection with his family. Him trying to go back on it made no sense to me.

Both were really emotionally powerful moments, but after a year's gone by and I look back on the series, those things just felt inorganic.

Edit: I also choose to ignore Vince Gilligan when he says that Walt genuinely thought that Jesse had willingly partnered up with Neo-Nazis and what he said to Jack wasn't part of a plan to make sure Jesse would be able to flee before the cops showed up.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 12, 2014

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I loved the phone call scene so much because it was Walt severing his connection with his family. Him trying to go back on it made no sense to me.

Walt was a weak man before months of isolation, that actually didn't surprise me one bit.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
A lot of time passed between the Ozymandias phonecall and the one to Flynn in Granite State. The former was fueled by Walt's need to escape, the latter about trying to make everything he did worth it; what consumed him in his time alone was processing what he had done and why. Granite State, being the penultimate episode, was structured solely to provide Walt with the motivation to finally admit to himself, and then act upon, his true motivations: baggage from getting hosed over years earlier (power), and making sure his family is financially secure* (the other form of power). He wouldn't begin to figure out how to more realistically accomplish the financial goal until he fully embraced his need for revenge a few minutes later, upon watching that TV interview. And if you listen to Walt's words during the Flynn call, he makes a big deal about trying to justify all the things that he did to Flynn as always about supporting his family, and clearly the poo poo that went down in Ozymandias was a part of that. At the moment of that call, he was attempting his only option. And it was pathetic, and he knew it, because it was razor thin and full of caveats that he kept having to explain.

*His familial concerns are actually very up for debate, especially considering how he ultimately achieved them. I'd argue that at the very least, giving his old colleagues hell ranks higher in him, but that's an entire other conversation from how organic/fitting the Flynn phonecall was. Note that his actions upon recognizing his financial motivations was a lovely plan that involved him barely doing any work. But when he accepted his need for vengeance, he truly acted.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Second is Walt calling Flynn. Now, I get it. Walt's deluded, obviously. Always thinking he can just convince his family to love him and understand that he did it all for them. But the phone call in Ozymandias wasn't just heard by the police. Flynn heard it too. He had to have.

I don't think anyone except Walt, Skyler, and the cops heard the conversation between Skyler and Walt after he kidnapped Holly. Is that what you're referring to? It's not like they had him on speaker phone.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Last Chance posted:

I don't think anyone except Walt, Skyler, and the cops heard the conversation between Skyler and Walt after he kidnapped Holly. Is that what you're referring to? It's not like they had him on speaker phone.

Pretty sure Marie reacts to "You'll never see Hank again!"

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

DStecks posted:

Pretty sure Marie reacts to "You'll never see Hank again!"

I thought she and Flynn were waiting on the couch and Skyler had to relay that news afterwards?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

thexerox123 posted:

I thought she and Flynn were waiting on the couch and Skyler had to relay that news afterwards?

No I vividly remember her making an over-the-top face that I couldn't help but chuckle at (see also: Skyler's face after she realizes she's probably going to die because she gave all that money to Ted).

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

DStecks posted:

No I vividly remember her making an over-the-top face that I couldn't help but chuckle at (see also: Skyler's face after she realizes she's probably going to die because she gave all that money to Ted).

Just brought it up on Netflix. Marie can't hear what Walt is saying, but gathers what's going on from Skyler's side of the conversation (she asks Walt where Hank is) and her subsequent reaction.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

thexerox123 posted:

Just brought it up on Netflix. Marie can't hear what Walt is saying, but gathers what's going on from Skyler's side of the conversation (she asks Walt where Hank is) and her subsequent reaction.

Ah, OK.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Last Chance posted:

He doesn't have to hear the phone call, but unless Skyler said "By the way Flynn, your dad actually wasn't threatening me, he just said that to exonerate me. Don't tell your Aunt! Or anyone!" then the story that Flynn would know is the story his dad said and that his mom is giving the jury.
Also:

quote:

Junior: You want to send money.
Walt: Yes. Good. Good, good. So you'll talk to Louis, right?
Junior: You killed Uncle Hank! You killed him!
Walt: Wait, no. Wait, son, please.
Junior: What you did to Mom, you rear end in a top hat.
Walt: Listen to me, you've got to listen to me.
Junior: Just shut up. Just stop it, stop it. I don't want anything from you. I don't give a poo poo.
Walt: You need this money, your mother. Your mother needs this money.
Junior: You killed Uncle Hank. You killed him.
Walt: It can't all be for nothing! Please. Please.
Junior: No, no, what you did. Shut up. Shut up. Will you just, just leave us alone. You rear end in a top hat! Why are you still alive? Why don't you just, just die already, just die.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

He doesn't have to hear the phone call, but unless Skyler said "By the way Flynn, your dad actually wasn't threatening me, he just said that to exonerate me. Don't tell your Aunt! Or anyone!" then the story that Flynn would know is the story his dad said and that his mom is giving the jury.
Also:

Fair enough, but I still don't understand why it's out of the question that Walt, near death, wouldn't try to get at least some of the money from the barrel to his family and at the very least, speak with Junior once more. I don't buy the premise that he was "severing ties" with his family during the conversation with Skyler. He was trying to exonerate Skyler, yes, but Walt's not the type to sever ties with any unfinished business, especially if the "business" involves his family.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

gently caress, that scene was hard to watch.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO6TeCBTwBI

liquorlanche
Sep 10, 2014

Last Chance posted:

Fair enough, but I still don't understand why it's out of the question that Walt, near death, wouldn't try to get at least some of the money from the barrel to his family and at the very least, speak with Junior once more. I don't buy the premise that he was "severing ties" with his family during the conversation with Skyler. He was trying to exonerate Skyler, yes, but Walt's not the type to sever ties with any unfinished business, especially if the "business" involves his family.

Fallacies, man...

FALLACIES! FALLACIES! FALLACIES YEA, FALLACIES!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Don't know where else to ask this so figured I'd take a shot here -

Anyone who got the 2013 Breaking Bad complete series barrel know when the Ultraviolet codes expire? I have a new in box one I'm thinking of selling but don't want to open it to find out if they're still good.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Medullah posted:

Don't know where else to ask this so figured I'd take a shot here -

Anyone who got the 2013 Breaking Bad complete series barrel know when the Ultraviolet codes expire? I have a new in box one I'm thinking of selling but don't want to open it to find out if they're still good.

good through the end of 2016

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Awesome, thanks.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

RJ Mitte did an AMA on Reddit

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2no6hf/im_actor_rj_mitte_aka_walt_flynn_junior_from/

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

The complete series on Blu-Ray (special barrel pack and regular) is the deal of the day on Amazon today. $86 for all 5 seasons, or $120 for the barrel. Not bad.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/Br...m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/yb/id910055905?ls=1&mt=8

malleusmalefic
Jan 1, 2014
Almost finished my rewatch and I still love it. Season five is a lot sloppier than I remember though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

LloydDobler posted:

The complete series on Blu-Ray (special barrel pack and regular) is the deal of the day on Amazon today. $86 for all 5 seasons, or $120 for the barrel. Not bad.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/Br...m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

What's the difference between the "2014 barrel" and the original?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

malleusmalefic posted:

Almost finished my rewatch and I still love it. Season five is a lot sloppier than I remember though.

I thought the first half dozen or so episodes were caricaturish.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
They kind of counterbalance just how thrilling the back half is, then.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Mameluke posted:

They kind of counterbalance just how thrilling the back half is, then.

In a way, yeah. That first group of episodes wasn't bad, I just thought that, for a show that mostly did a fantastic job of keeping things believable and resorting to Dexteritis (whereby intelligent protagonists suddenly turn stupid) in order to move the plot along, for me, they stretched the realism of the story. Admittedly, as I marathoned the show over a four week or so span, some of that may have been a bit of letdown or juxtaposition from the conclusion of the Season 4 Front storyline, which was for the most part significantly more subtle and down to earth than the more 'blow it all up in your face' events of S5. The last half of that season is just balls out, though. Balls out.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Medullah posted:

What's the difference between the "2014 barrel" and the original?

Bumping my own question...anyone know?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

The only differences I can see in the amazon descriptions and reviews is the new one is autographed by Bryan Cranston and Vince Gilligan and includes a "Better Call Saul" flash drive.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Habibi posted:

In a way, yeah. That first group of episodes wasn't bad, I just thought that, for a show that mostly did a fantastic job of keeping things believable and resorting to Dexteritis (whereby intelligent protagonists suddenly turn stupid)
A defining moment of Breaking Bad for me will always be that Skyler doesn't find out by actually seeing Walt deal drugs or finding meth, but just because it's a reasonable conclusion to come to when she put together all the facts available to her.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

The only differences I can see in the amazon descriptions and reviews is the new one is autographed by Bryan Cranston and Vince Gilligan and includes a "Better Call Saul" flash drive.

the autograph is only on the very limited edition gold one that sells for 600 dollars

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Timeless Appeal posted:

A defining moment of Breaking Bad for me will always be that Skyler doesn't find out by actually seeing Walt deal drugs or finding meth, but just because it's a reasonable conclusion to come to when she put together all the facts available to her.

The show's got a lot of moments like this and is a big reason why it's as good as it was, but this is definitely one of the most pivotal. When I explain to people why I like Breaking Bad as much as I do, I describe it as full of characters with realistic and explainable motivations surrounded by heightened levels of luck and hyperbole. In other words, great character development with a grounded dash of Mexican magical realism.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I like that she doesn't figure out he's cooking meth, she just figures out that he is almost certainly selling drugs. Missing a detail like that makes it feel more real.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Aye Doc posted:

the autograph is only on the very limited edition gold one that sells for 600 dollars

Oh, the barrel product page confused me. I thought it was describing what I was looking at, not an alternative product.

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Bad-...king+bad+barrel

Smashlampjaw
Aug 16, 2008
Okay so I just finished this show, and I've got one question. When Walt used the Lilly Flower stuff to posion Brock to get Jesse back on his side instead of Gus, and Walt sees Brock a couple of times and Brock shys away from him, did Brock know that Walt posioned him?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Smashlampjaw posted:

Okay so I just finished this show, and I've got one question. When Walt used the Lilly Flower stuff to posion Brock to get Jesse back on his side instead of Gus, and Walt sees Brock a couple of times and Brock shys away from him, did Brock know that Walt posioned him?

No, Brock is just picking up on the vibe I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DNova posted:

No, Brock is just picking up on the vibe I think.

Children, like animals, can sense evil.

• Locked thread