Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

hiddenmovement posted:

Am I the only one that wants to see a telemovie with Badger and Skinny Pete on the hunt for Heisenbergs buried treasure?

Only if it ends with the ghost of Combo telling them, "The treasure you seek has been within you all along, yo!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

Plus the fact that this is not the first time that Walt has said the line. He said it to Mike once before, regarding his plan to shoot Gus with the .38 snubnose (and got subsequently punched in the face for it). It's an ambiguous scene any way you slice it, but I look at it as Walter betting it all on his luck one last time, and since the final desperate gamble is an attempt to set things right rather than cause further death and pain, god/fate/the universe/whatever hears his plea and grants it.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

A whole mess of Breaking Bad characters in 8-bit form:

They even remembered to put a pizza on the roof! Nicely done.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

Elman posted:

Whatever happened to the Cartel and that "Negro y azul" mariachi song from season 2? It was about how the cartel wanted to kill Walt because he was taking over their business, but as far as I remember it was never a thing: the cousins came to avenge Tuco, they weren't sent by anyone and the cartel never really cared about Walt.

Was it a dropped plot point or they just thought it'd be funny to have that song in an episode? (It was :v:)

I thought that if Gus hadn't dealt a major blow to the cartel via his carefully constructed revenge plot, they would have been in a position to kill Walt, one way or another. Gus put in the time and planning, Walt got to reap the benefits. I doubt there's any way he could have built his "empire" without Gus first clearing the way for him (but then again, Walt always was luckier than everyone else...)

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

I am the one with knockers.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

He killed a whole room full of people and terrorized a couple of pretty decent overall people and poisoned Lydia. He set things right and caused further death and pain, in my opinion. Specifically by using death and pain.

Well, that's a good point. Obviously, so much damage had been done at that point that there was no fixing it without further ugliness. But it was the best he could have done at that time, given the past few years and probably how much spiritual rot he had undergone. Without the plot of "Felina", Walt would have died alone in a cabin or in jail, Jesse would spend the rest of his (short) life in drug-making slavery, and Skyler, Flynn and Holly would have absolute gently caress-all.

It's a neat mirror of the beginning of the series, come to think of it. A basically good guy makes a couple of nasty choices, and we're off to the races. By the end, a basically bad guy tries to do (in a harsh way) a couple of good things, and who knows?

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

Burt Buckle posted:

I started rewatching Breaking Bad from the beginning a few weeks ago. Walter White was an egomaniac dickhead from the get-go. There was a little bit of transformation, but that guy was always Heisenberg deep down I think.

I said gently caress you, Bogdan! AND YOUR EYEBROWS! WIPE DOWN THIS!

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

hiddenmovement posted:

This is a dreadful discussion. Can we talk about anything else?

You know, the show strained credulity from time to time, but I realized today the most unbelievable part was when they showed Brock and Jesse having fun playing Sonic 2006.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

Redundant posted:

Since people are talking about the Walt saving Jesse part, it always kinda bugged me that Walt (a man they fully intended to kill in literally seconds) accusing the Nazis of being partners with "a rat" bothered them enough that they dragged him all the way out of his pit just to "prove him wrong". They know they're right and they know Walt was going to be dead soon, why do people who arranged a hit on 10 men in 10 different prisons within 2 minutes of each other feel the need to prove themselves to a dead man?

I know what you mean, but I'm inclined to give this one a pass because there had been several occasions before where someone had managed to come up with the one perfect thing to say. Like Gus' famous, "What does a man do?", which convinces Walt to come cook for him. Or when Walt looks at Jesse and says, "Coward". Or when Skyler tells Walt that Bogdan questioned his masculinity-- after which the acquisition of the car wash has to happen. A lot of the events and dialogue in the show were about finding someone's Achilles' heel. What can you say or do that will hit a person's hidden sore point, that will cause them to act irrationally and in the best interests of someone else's plan?

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

crazysim posted:

Maybe that's not a really good look but it is a look.

Bleargh, I'm not sure you'd want more of a look than that. If we had to spend any longer than one episode with Lord and Lady Spooge in their poo poo-covered hovel, I think people's gag reflexes would start forcing them to change the channel.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

Interstitial Abs posted:

Vince Gilligan is twirling his mustache in Belize, bidding his time, knowing full well that in a decade he will drop "Born to a Monster: the Holly White Story" on us, and crush whatever tiny sliver of hope we had left.

It's OK. She's in good hands.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

Stay Out of FYAD posted:

Wrong. There wasn't nearly enough of the School's Principle.

"Educate children"?

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

drat this is some creepy music. It reminds me a lot of the soundtracks that Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross have made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqqSQfYk5BY

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

Mr. Unlucky posted:

If he accepts their charity he is not a man, simple as that. I understand why a lot of you would have trouble understanding this concept considering this website is mostly comprised of children pretending to be men, but try to think of it from a different perspective please. He was beaten down by life for decades and didn't fight back once the entire time, then he is supposed to just accept his pat on the head and lay down quietly and die? That's not what a man does, it's what some pet little bitch does. It's loving pathetic on every level and he had an entire lifetime's worth of rage to spend doing this right so why would he accept some charity from those stuck up assholes who are partly responsible for his lot in life to begin with? That is insult to injury, the poo poo cherry on top of the poo poo sundae. Oh but he should have been safe and boring instead then we could've had a great show about a pathetic guy dying a pathetic death, that's much more sensible.

Look everyone, Tuco has come back from the grave to post with us!

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

BreakAtmo posted:

Or possibly Gus, with entirely understandable brain damage.

What does a man do? He does not act like a pet little bitch, nor does he eat the poo poo cherry atop the poo poo sundae. I hope I have adequately voiced my concerns to you, now eat poo poo.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

So is Todd evil? Is he just kind of simple and doesn't really understand the impact of what he's happening? Is he just a super Nazi, bred in meth tanks in order to slaughter on command? What the gently caress is the deal with Todd and...and why did Andrea have to die? Andrea didn't even do anything at all...

I thought about this for a while, and I think he's creepy for the same reason that Anton Chigurh from "No Country for Old Men" is creepy: he's a guy with no sense of humor whatsoever. It sounds weird, but I really think it checks out. They both have no imagination, no sympathy, no ability to do anything but function. It trips our psychopath sensors, big time. If Todd were some normal kid, his attraction to Lydia wouldn't strike us as odd. But it does-- everyone talks about how weird and disconcerting it is. Or his last words to Andrea. Of course it's personal! It's personal as all poo poo! But the utter absurdity of his statement doesn't even register to him.

Cosmik Slop fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 13, 2013

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

loving hell. Still?

When all life as we know it has ceased, there will still be a pair of amoebae arguing over the Middle East, and another pair arguing about Skyler.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

Redundant posted:

Who would win in a fight, Mike or Hank? Hanks younger and has the weight advantage but Mikes experienced and unflappable. Just too close to call in my opinion.

Hm. If it's a mano-a-mano, no-holds-barred type brawl, I'd say Hank would take it, assuming Mike doesn't have some secret Shaolin training we don't know about. But if you handed Mike and Hank a dossier telling each one to kill the other, then I think Mike would prevail. He's cunning as all hell, and Hank only (arguably) beat the twins because of a tip-off, as well as some dumb luck when he got the hollow point.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

Never bring a gun to a severed head on an exploding turtle fight.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

Redundant posted:

I guess my question was more, why did it happen in the manner that it did? It was all so deliberate. Picking that bar knowing that it's a poo poo hole, trying to get Gomie to go along with it, stashing the gun then casually instigating a fight.

My two cents: Hank's pride and masculinity had taken a huge wallop after his time in El Paso. He was the dumb jock who didn't speak Spanish, didn't know the territory, and got freaked out by the savagery of the cartels. He came back shaken, feeling like a wimp. Starting a pointless bar fight was his attempt to feel like a big, tough bruiser once more. He may have tried to act like it was a DEA bust, but really it was just a guy wanting to knock some heads together.

Cosmik Slop fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 15, 2013

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

You massively misread that scene.

Enlighten me.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

There's something I've never quite been able to put my finger on: why did Walter insist, with such momentous consequences, on Jesse being his partner in the superlab, rather than Gale? My guesses:

1) Walter sensed from the outset that Gale was his replacement, rather than his partner. Walt saw Jesse as somewhat talented, but ultimately under his thumb in a way that Gale would not be. (Of course, Jesse wound up as Walt's equal when it came to meth, but by then Gus had been blown to smithereens so no problem there).

2) Walt just didn't like Gale. Understandable. The guy's a dork. Not everyone's cup of tea.

3) Walt needed that twinge of illicit criminality. Gale was a mild-mannered chemist; Jesse had that outlaw, gangbanger, go-to-hell side to his personality. For all Walt's claims of professionalism, level-headedness, he liked going slumming. Jesse was his link to that world.

Or maybe it's just loyalty. The show really rides on that weird chemistry (ha ha) between Jesse and Walt. Without Jesse, Walt don't cook. Simple as that.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

That DICK! posted:

Walt's a pretty good liar when he needs to be, look at how he tricked Jesse into thinking Gus poisoned Brock. Or how well he strings Marie and Hank along. Basically the only people he really sucks at lying to are Skyler and Walt Jr.

Walt's a pretty good liar (ie the poo poo he can come up with on the fly sounds, at the least, plausible) but more than that, he is a committed liar. Committed as all hell. He can look you dead in the eye and feed you a line of utter bullshit and never think twice about it. Which means that even though Skyler et al. can tell he's full of poo poo, they can never quite prove it. Which is why it was so uncomfortable when she called the cops on Walt. Skyler knew Walt was dangerous. Walt knew Walt was dangerous. The whole drat audience knew Walt was dangerous. But there was nothing she could really point to and say, "See, he's a menace!"

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

Yeah, my timeline about who knew what and when gets muddled. Been a while since I watched last. I still think my point stands, though.

E: Walt's "fugue state" might have been a better example.

Cosmik Slop fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 12, 2013

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

Exploder posted:

I can name five episodes off the top of my head better than Half Measures: Ozymandias, Crawl Space, Face Off, Confessions, and Dead Freight. And that is just off the top of my head.

No matter how jaded, judgmental, detached, or critical I feel, I will still get chills from the end of "Crawl Space". They staged that scene to absolute, stomach-churning perfection. "IT'S HAPPENING AGAIN!"

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I do think it was often a silly show. (I mean Saul alone.) It's part of what I liked about the show that it knew how to use levity in the right places. It's just that sometimes I feel like it got silly in a way that was out of tone with the rest of the scene in a distracting way. The Two Face moment is honestly the most egregious of the lot though and largely because it comes after such a super dramatic episode.

Yeah, but the teddy bear! Foreshadowing, yo! (Or maybe that should be "foreshadowing, bitch!")

Actually I think I get what you mean. There are points in the show that really make you stop and reconsider your opinion. For me, it was having that Narco Corrido band do a cheesy home movie (of an admittedly kick-rear end song) with all those cheap effects, all as a plot recap. I really had to stop and think about that. It was either pure brilliance or a total swing and a miss. (My verdict was brilliance).

On a side note, anyone else notice the name of the clothing store in the pilot? "Family 1st". Clever little show, this.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

That's such a moronic conjecture. So what, Jesse loses his nerve, and instead fires.... a warning shot? Missing Gale's head by a couple inches? Why the gently caress would he pull the trigger if he weren't aiming at Gale?

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

First Season Hank is very different from Rest Of The Show Hank.

First Season Everyone is pretty much different from Rest of the Show Everyone, for that matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Is there a thread for Better Call Saul yet? Because gently caress yes watch this poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGsC_LO3oFY

Junior Brown rules. Better Call Saul is going to rule.

This looks good. It's got that surreal, slightly creepy feel that the Breaking Bad set-pieces had.

• Locked thread