Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Loucks posted:

Rehashing an old movie that didn't really have any loose ends as a miniseries instead of coming up with something new and creative. They've had a few misses, but for the most part the Coen's past work has been fantastic. I just don't see a Fargo miniseries as anything but a lazy cash grab.

I'd be delighted to be proven wrong though.
It's an original story and characters, though, right?. They're the just using the movie's milieu and small-town Minnesota setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The show had me from the pilot. My sister had been telling me that I had to watch it for a few years. I blitzed the first three seasons just in time to watch Season 4 live.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Perfidus posted:

What on earth is this from?
It was at the end of the finale, after the credits. Did your DVR cut that part off?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Walt wasn't that paranoid. The guy who got drunk and explained to Hank how Gale couldn't be Heisenberg is totally the same guy who'd leave that book lying around. Walt went through periods where he thought he was untouchable, especially after he killed Gus.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I'm pretty sure that Gus as an general under Pinochet was just a fan theory. I don't know if they ever gave out details about Gus's past in the podcasts, but I think all we know from the show was that Gus was had connections in Chile that were important enough that Don Eladio didn't want to outright kill him.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

There were toys in the house when Walt came over, so it either was an elaborate lie (I think that's a bit much, but I know people have said that), or his family exists but just never appeared on-screen and were out both times that he had Walt and Jesse over for dinner. Or Gus was divorced, and the toys were there from visitation. Yeah, maybe his situation kinda mirrored Walt's in that respect.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Oct 18, 2013

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

tbp posted:

He's from Chile, they call him "Generalissimo",
Wasn't he just called that once in the series by someone who hated him? I don't think it was meant literally, I took it as a mocking ironic nickname.

tbp posted:

the timelines match up.
I think he's a little young.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

:stare:

Guys, they called him Generalmisso
It's not like he's regularly called that by underlings from Chile as a gesture of respect. He called that once by Hector, so I never saw any reason to take it so literally. Especially since there was never any reveal concerning a military background.

Yes, Gus has connections with an important person or people back in Chile, whether in the political, military, business or organized crime spheres. That's the extent of what we know. But I doubt that he was actually a general under Pinochet.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

He doesn't say that he was a general under Pinochet, as you said, he just said that they were purposefully vague about his past and what he might've being doing during those years.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

DNova posted:

^ ^ I like the theory but I just don't see it being anything more than an advertisement awkwardly shoehorned in.

Am I in the twilight zone?

It's a full minute of product placement that does nothing for the story. It's awkward and horrible and if you liked it you are a bad person and you should feel bad.
Then it was really bad as an advertisement, at least for me, because there was nothing in the scene that made me remember what the cars were after it was done.

DNova posted:

Not really, because it's not in your face.
At least I remember it was an Aztec. I have no idea what Walt and Jr. were revving in that scene. To me they were just generic expensive sports cars. I don't remember any effort on their part to make me remember what cars those were. So I didn't interpret it as product placement.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 21, 2013

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

beep by grandpa posted:

The former sounds interesting tho, so what's everyone's most memorable moment of discomfort of the show?

For me it was definitely the Walt Jr. tequila scene at Walt's remission(?) party. Maybe cause I'm a big brother of a much younger sibling that poo poo had me basically squirming on my couch BEGGING for that scene to be over, I wanted to punch Walt in the face so bad. Hank trying to intervene but not overstep his boundaries made it extra awkward and tense. Sometimes I hate how effective this show's writing and acting is :shobon:
That scene in Season 5A with Walt and Skyler in the bed. The one that was even more uncomfortable before they decided to cut it down.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

It made it so that simply gathering evidence and taking it to the DEA, like he was originally doing, was going to backfire. So he had to back off a little and find a different tactic. Which he found when he happened upon Jesse.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I think some people overly hyper-focus on that drat hand-job scene.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Chobdab posted:

I was talking more about shoving it in his face with the "Salad is good for you" speech. They were still married so I don't call that broken off but maybe your definition is less specific.
If you're separated, I don't consider it at all unethical to sleep with somebody else. I think divorce just settles all the legal stuff, and that's all. So I didn't have any ethical qualms with IFT.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I bet they were living in Jesse's house.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I bet one of them's the hand-job scene.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Surely, Mike flew to Texas to break into her home. Madrigal was an integral part of their Fring investigation, and it's not like they're local cops anyway, they're federal agents.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

SpitztheGreat posted:

Ok, this is a really dangerous place for me to be, but I'm a newbie to the show and I wanted to post my thoughts so far:

I'm halfway through Season 2 and I'm wondering, does the show get significantly better?

Not that it's "bad" by any means, but I've heard nothing but glowing reviews about the show and so far I'm a little underwhelmed. I'm coming at it as a guy who loves Mad Men, and everyone who has watched both says that Breaking Bad is "much" better. But I'm just not seeing it. The show is good, and at times really good, but I find myself waiting for that "Ah HA!" moment. This is especially true with Bryan Cranston, the dude constantly beat out John Hamm for best actor, and yet I haven't had that moment with him yet where I'm blown away.

Anyways, I'm sticking with it. I get a feeling this is one of those shows that lingers and then season 3 happens and it blows wide open. I'm going to be really careful about what I read in this thread, I'm sure it's full of spoilers, but I'd be curious to get people's thoughts. I know that when people are trying to get into Mad Men and they've watched four of five episodes I tell them to be patient, that it gets amazing if they stick with it. I guess I just feel that after a season and a half I should have had that mind blowing moment already.
People often think that the show does get better as it goes along, but I think most of the people that loved it pretty much loved from those first couple seasons. If it's not amazing for you yet, you're probably not a person who will ever find it amazing. You probably won't like it more than Mad Men, I guess that's just more your kind of show, but you might still enjoy it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Vokehead posted:

Does Jesse actually have any money left over from the beginning of S5b?
I can't imagine that Jesse has a dollar left to his name anymore.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

No, Jesse's not going to be able to sell his house. The authorities are looking for him.

Apollodorus posted:

Yeah, that was never made explicit but I can imagine a lot of the details of his involvement came out.
I believe Lydia said they were looking for him when Todd told her that they were holding him.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 1, 2013

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

No, he's in Alaska, but he's making a decent living selling finely-crafted wooden boxes.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

Nobody's looking for Jesse.
Lydia said they're looking for Jesse.

Marie surely told them that Hank and Gomez were working with him when they disappeared. They most definitely would want to question him about that.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 5, 2013

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I guess it depends on whether or not Flynn thinks that the Schwartzes would actually help Walt with something like that, if that's more believable than whatever story that the Schwartzes come up with (I know that a lot of viewers don't buy that they would actually do it). He won't know about the laser pointer hitmen, of course.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

They were looking for Jesse when they didn't have Walt. They have Walt, they have the Nazis, and they have the bodies of Hank and Gomez. Why would they spend additional man-hours tracking down someone who is most likely dead from their point of view? Remember they don't realize the extent of Walt and Jesse's partnership because Marie didn't know and the confession is gone.
I'm not talking about Walt and Jesse's partnership. They would absolutely want to at least question him concerning Hank and Gomez's deaths, if not suspect him of being involved. He was with them. It's unbelievable to me that they wouldn't. It's not like finding the bodies means the investigation is over.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 6, 2013

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

2house2fly posted:

That's true, what would make the investigation over would be finding the same weapons that were used to kill Hank and Gomez at the Nazi compound.
No, because the extent of Jesse's involvement would still be unknown. If there's a chance that he's involved in the murders, why wouldn't they want to bring him in?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Even looking at it cynically, I think it's reasonable to figure they'd prioritize finding someone who should be suspected of being involved in murdering two of their comrades.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

BlackJosh posted:

Why would Jesse be a suspect? Marie is the only one to tie Jesse to Hank and Gomie and she would have known how closely Jesse and Hank were working together and that he was on the major outs with Walt, who is the one presumed to have killed Hank and Gomie or at least ordered their deaths (remember the phone call?). Marie didn't know where Hank was or that he was with Jesse when he was killed, so I just can't see how the DEA would think that Jesse would have been involved in his murder. I think finding the bodies DOES mean the investigations over. Dead hank, dead gomie, Walt was working with the nazis who killed Hank and Gomie at what they presume were Walt's orders at the time because of the phone call he gave Skylar at the end of Ozymandius. The Nazis are dead, Walt is dead. Case closed.
Marie knows that Jesse was with Hank and Gomez when they disappeared. Yes, I think that's enough to make him a suspect. Throw in Jesse and Hank's known antagonistic history for added fuel.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

hiddenmovement posted:

I think Walt actually did get more out of a kick giving Fs to high school students then working in a lab. Remember he can't work with Gale in season 3 because Gale is an equal (or close to) and Walt NEEDS to feel intellectually superior. So out Gale, in Jessie. Every time he worked in a lab or similar environment before that (like Grey Matter) it was out Walt in __.

Eh, he replaced Gale with Jesse because he needed to bribe Jesse into not pressing charges against Hank. I don't think it necessarily went deeper than that. He didn't seem to have any problem with Gale before he needed to make that deal.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 7, 2013

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

By magic, people aren't referring to Walt's process, they're referring to how it gives meth-heads super-highs and makes them go wild for it. That part's not a real thing.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 7, 2013

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Redundant posted:

It's not like Walt has some magic process or secret ingredient, if he did Gale would have spotted it quickly and never needed Walt again. Think of it like race car driving; I could get a car around the track, Gale can get it around much faster than me and Walt could get it around just a bit quicker than Gale. That doesn't mean that any of us are ready to fly a jet. Making meth and doing research science (probably using tools and methods that Walt has never used before) are very different things.
Well, accept it or not, that's the concept that's vital to the show. Walt is uniquely good at making super-meth, and there's no real world science to explain how he does it. It's based on in-universe magi-science.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Chronicles posted:

An interesting thing about that scene, I believe it was cut from some airings (for time or content). Because I first watched the show as a marathon of season 1 just before season 2 aired and never saw that scene until I rewatched on DVD. Don't know if it affected my feelings toward Skyler, but I definitely never hated her.
A couple of scenes were cut for time in later airings. That scene, and the one where Walt is embarrassed when the jerk student sees him working at the car wash. Though the hand-job scene never had me making all these judgements about the Skyler's character. It just read as "they have a dull sex life" to me.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Was that in the netflix version? I had no idea what the hell you were talking about but google seems to suggest it was censored out of a lot of cuts, not just certain TV re-airings?
Not censored. Just cut for time to fit into a standard timeslot. But Netflix has the full length version up now.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Nov 8, 2013

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I guess I never felt "The Vibe".

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I don't think "bitchface" is a real thing, so just saying someone has "bitchface" doesn't explain anything to me.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I definitely don't think disliking Skyler = misogynist, but if your reasons for disliking Skyler revolve around bad handjobs, bitchy vibes and nagging, it just makes people suspicious.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

PootieTang posted:

Can people who do like Skylar stop inserting the word 'bitch' into everything that people who disagree with them say? I get it, you need to make the other person look bad so that you can pull the morally/politically superior card, but it's not good form.
It's not inserted by anyone. Some people who come into the thread to talk about why they dislike Skyler do use the word. Those are the sorts of people that are suspicious.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I'm sure Flynn is perfectly able to put his pants on when he's in bedroom with his bed to sit back on and plenty of space, the dressing room just made it awkward.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

PootieTang posted:

Then why did you insert it into the vibe quote? I'm pretty sure at no point in talking about the bad vibes did I ever use the gendered insult 'bitch' to describe it, or Skylar.

I mean, would you take a phrase I used when describing a black character and just slide the word 'friend of the family' into it to make me look racist if we were having a discussion about The Wire? I mean I'm sure someone else in the world has used that comment to talk about a black character so hey, why not attribute that to me? I find that quite suspicious. (get it, because you keep using that word over and over again because if you repeat it enough times people will find 'those people' suspicious.)
Because I was being flippant when recalling recent conversations, sorry. I was thinking of bitchfaces from that day.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

hiddenmovement posted:

Edit: Another point, if Walt went in there with the intention of killing everyone and suiciding, why not just build a bomb? A dirty great fertilizer bomb in the back of the car. Unless he had a convoluted plan to break Jessie loose all along....
Maybe, I just assumed it was TV cool factor. Gilligan: "I already did a bomb, so how about a remote control machine gun?" Of course, I think they also wrote the scene of him buying a machine gun long before they knew what was going to happen in the finale, so when they got to that point, they had to work a machine gun in there somehow.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

And putting the kids in danger. And for somehow being responsible for Hank being attacked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

And that he wasn't very large in size.

• Locked thread