Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Max
Nov 30, 2002

Robawesome posted:

Walt will have been found dead in town, her story of him appearing with the information is totally plausible. The "reasons" would be wanting to divulge the location of his B-I-L's body before he dies, I don't know why all of this is so hard for you to buy.

He also specifically tells her to mention that he had bacon and eggs at the Denny's, to prove that she did at least talk to him and hadn't just been sitting on the information the whole time. The cops would have found that out once they discovered his car in the parking lot and questioned the waitress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Chobdab posted:

No he told her to state that his reason for breaking in was that he wanted eggs and bacon on his birthday (from her like always). Denny's would make no sense in the context.

What? I can't tell if this is a joke, but that's not what he meant. He says "Tell them I wanted bacon and eggs on my birthday. They'll know what that means."

He knows that they know he had bacon and eggs for free because he said it was his birthday when he was at Denny's earlier. That would prove that he was actually there and talked to her THAT DAY.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

OK, so I guess I misread that scene (and missremembered what he said). I thought he was making an allusion to something only and the cops would know, which is SOP for most major criminal investigations.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

CatchrNdRy posted:

Interactions I wished would have happened:

-Jesse and Flynn. I don't know what situation that could have realistically occurred, but Walt's real son and his surrogate should have a moment.

This is the one thing I really wish had happened at some point. It would have made for a really great scene, I think.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

CatchrNdRy posted:

I can't think of an organic way for this to play out though. Maybe while Jesse was staying with Hank, but they specifically kept Flynn away from that household.

I also would have liked Jesse to have a "friendlier" dinner with Hank and Marie to contrast his awkward dinner with Walt and Skyler.

On the podcasts, Vince has mentioned that while he appreciates everything being organic, he knows that sometimes one has to be in-organic to serve the story, so they wouldn't have shied away from a scene like that for those reasons. I agree though, it would have been hard to justify a scene like that, unless they did some sort of epilogue after Walt died. It still would have been a great scene.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

BrBa posted:

When Jesse was pouring gasoline in Walt's house, I though that Flynn would be in the house and Jesse would have an "Oh God, what am I doing?" moment. That would've been neat I think.

That was probably the closest we could have gotten.

That DICK! posted:

is sooooo annoying to me. It's like the guy a few pages back who thought the bacon and eggs line was supposed to be a lead to Denny's and was a total dick to people who were reading the scene right. The finale is loaded with dialogue that is supposed to be up to you to interpret.

That was me, and I'm sorry for being obstinate over that point. I was under the impression that he was trying to give Skylar some info to prove that he actually had visited her that day and that she wasn't just sitting on vital information to use as leverage later. I was wrong.

Max fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 8, 2013

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Probably because it was a personal letter and not meant to be made public. Still, that is some serious praise.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Also because there's no actual proof that Hopkins wrote it. It's basically on the same level as those "RE: FWD: BRAD PITT ON WHY HE LOVES HIS WIFE (SEND THIS TO SOMEONE YOU LOVE!)" e-mails your grandma send you.

He confirmed it was sent by him.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Parity warning posted:

It definitely means something and seems to be something of an all-seeing eye. It comes into Walt's possession as a result of the plane crash he indirectly caused; it shows up when certain events are coming back to him with the cousins about to kill him; his actions affect Skyler and his family life in general. No matter how many lies he tells, Walt can't hide from or escape what he is and has done and the eye is a reminder.

Beyond that, Walt tends to hold on to some memento of people that have died either directly or indirectly due to his actions. The eye is a perfect artifact of the plane crash that he could keep.

Edit: Or at least, the deaths that he felt bad about. I don't think he ever gave a poo poo about the two dealers he ran over.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Walt talking about the plane crash at the school always makes me cringe (in a good way!)

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Alan_Shore posted:

Well it was a while ago that I saw it, but yeah I remember after that scene he doesn't talk to her for a while, and then goes up behind her to give her a hug and she just doesn't respond until he says he'll get the treatment. So you can infer that she's been cold to him since that talk didn't go her way.

And yes of course, ultimately everything is Walt's fault.

I think a big thing to consider is that we're all watching the situation without any emotional attachments, so we're going to think very logically. But we're talking about someone who has been married to this man for a long time now, and is probably VERY conflicted about what she wants vs. what he wants. Like, I would find it really unbelievable if Skylar had just accepted it right then and there. Also, we probably had different reads of how she was treating him when he hugged her, but I read her saying nothing as just being depressed and too overwhelmed to think of anything to say at that moment.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

PootieTang posted:

Maybe I'm misremebering, but there was a scene where, on Walt's 50th birthday his present is a lazy handjob while she trades stocks or something? I mean she doesn't even look at him.

That to me was the scene that cemented my initial view of their relationship. It's probably why people hated Skylar so much too.

I mean the whole kharmic 'success at crime but pushing away his family' thing would have worked a lot better if he had a close relationship with his wife that was ruined. As it stands he had a very distant unloving relationship, and then she starts treating him even worse when all she knows at that point is 'My husband has just been diagnosed with cancer and wants to die' this doesn't rekindle her love for him, as in 'I didn't realize how much I did love him until I found out he was dying' instead it just becomes super confrontational with her emotionally blackmailing him and being cold at pretty much every opportunity. Even when she thinks he's cheating on her, the reaction is way too cruel and brutal. You'd think that a couple who's been married for so long she'd be understanding that, given their relationship prior to the diagnosis (lazy birthday handjob while trading stocks) she might think 'maybe how distant I've been plus the fact he's going to loving die drove him to another woman' nope! It's straight to confrontational holier than thou I WILL MAKE YOU PAY FOR WHAT YOU DID TO ME WALT shenanigans.

I mean it makes sense considering the arc of rising criminal power and crumbling family life, but if you just look at the family plot on its own it's just terribly written and Skylar's character comes off as really unsympathetic and inconsistent.

As far as the handjob thing goes, he could have just asked for more instead of just blithely accepting it. By the end of the first episode it's more than apparent that she's up for it.

As far as how she's responding to his cancer diagnosis, I think you are still approaching it from an emotionally detached position, where people should only respond in certain ways. It may be because my Grandfather did exactly what Walt wanted to do, and my whole family pretty much reacted the way Skyler did right up until the end. When your emotions are all tangled up in something like that, you just aren't going to be reacting logically.

I think her treating Walt badly and doing whatever she could to change his mind is consistent with someone who has held a long marriage and is very suddenly staring down the barrel of a future where the father of her son and unborn daughter is unilaterally deciding to check out and leaving her on her own, instead of fighting to stay with the family. It can be incredibly frustrating when you find out that your partner isn't willing to fight as hard as you think you might to keep everyone together, and I think her actions are consistent with that.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Lycus posted:

I think some people overly hyper-focus on that drat hand-job scene.

I mean, yeah, I thought it was just to show that they had a pretty boring sex life. I don't see what else you could get from that.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

In most cases, a separation is required before a divorce if there aren't immediate grounds for it (that you want to tell the court about.)

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I remember this discussion when it first came up. These particular nazi's are very much concerned with their perceived reputation within the group. And keep in mind, Walt wasn't yelling at the whole group. If he was, they probably wouldn't have bothered. Walt was specifically saying that Jack was the one working with a rat. Walt accused him of this in front of all Jack's subordinates. Jack absolutely couldn't just let that slide.

If Walt had said that to Jack in private conversation, Jack would have just laughed it off or shot him right then and there.

VVVVVV
Aside from Jesse and Walt Jr. meeting, the only other scene I would have liked to happen is some moment where Walt actually encounters someone that uses his product. I know that could be really cliche and hokey, but I imagine Vince and Co. would have been able to handle a scene like that.

Max fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 24, 2013

Max
Nov 30, 2002

fleshweasel posted:

Romanticizes, maybe. It's the means through which a resentful underdog type of guy gets the power to be a really bad guy. I wouldn't argue with her because it's her choice and doesn't affect me but I think the show has been pretty up-front about the bad things their meth brings into the world.

I would argue that the show is upfront about how Meth affects the lives of people that are involved in production and distribution, but we never REALLY got a good look at the people actually using the product.

Last Chance posted:

A scene like the one where Walt wanders through a meth den and literally comes face to face with meth heads staring at him before he finds Jesse?

Are you talking about Jesse's multiple day party? I remembered that, but I don't remember people using the blue meth in that scene (though many were obviously high off it.) Walt Jr. certain had that sort of comical experience with Hank early on in the show.

Edit: Nope! You're talking about something else entirely. I've obviously forgotten a lot of the earlier seasons.

Max fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 24, 2013

Max
Nov 30, 2002

fuckpot posted:

I thought that too but then I also thought about the $9-10 million she is receiving (well Flynn is receiving but it may as well be her too) in 10 months time. Question is whether Flynn will accept it, though.

I imagine he would. Walt was smart in realizing that anything he tried to give Flynn directly would be rejected out of hand after the conversation he had with him on the phone. As long as he never finds out where the money from the trust came from, I'm sure he would gladly take it (and probably use it for something good.)

It also seemed like Marie was opening the lines of communication up again with that "alright, truce" line she says into the answering machine. So there might be some help from her as well.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

hiddenmovement posted:

Marie was comic relief, but the marriage between Hank and her is also used to create contrast between them and the Whites. Hank and Marie have problems, but they are honest and open with each other and are able to work through the rough patches. They rely and depend on each other when times are difficult for one of them and come out better people on the other side, like a good marriage should. Yet over in the White corner we have secrets, lies, and literally wanting to die.

That's a good way to look at it. I always saw the big moment that set Hank and Walt apart was when Hank decided to tell the truth about assaulting Jesse, and how much support Marie gave him.

That actually made Hank's treatment of her after he was shot by the cousins really hard to take. I got that he was going through some hard stuff, but he really comes off as an uncaring jerk towards her during that time. He gets better though.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

PootieTang posted:

I took that as Hank was trying to push her away, since he views himself at that point as fundamentally broken he didn't want Marie taking pity on him and being burdened with looking after a cripple. He at that point is very self-hating, and the fact that Marie still loved him messed him up because he couldn't love himself and therefore couldn't imagine how Marie could still feel that way, ergo he feels that Marie is just staying with him out of obligation and his attempts to drive her away are in a hosed up way an attempt to spare her by making her hate him as much as he hates himself and 'realize' that he's a broken man and isn't worthy of her time. The fact she does stick with him and supports him so much is what in my view lead to the biggest character shift in Hank, from that point on he seems to become even more confident than before, but with a greater appreciation for the people around him (especially Marie) which also leads (in my view at least) to his closer relationship with Walt. He ends up with a greater understanding of how the people around you can support you, and the importance of supporting them in return.

Which underlies the whole loving marriage concept even more in comparison to Walt and Skyler, since once Walt gets to his lowest point he pulls away from his family and attempts to empower himself. Hank's arc is one of learning to rely on others, with Marie being a supportive figure rather than confrontational. In the end Hank and Marie's marriage only becomes stronger through the adversity, while Walt and Skyler devolve into a petty escalating civil war when faced with the same.

Oh no doubt, I don't want to trivialize what Hank was going through. Crippling depression has a way of destroying relationships with your loved ones, and I thought that was very accurately portrayed. And I'm glad that they work it out, in the end.

PootieTang posted:

And when you consider how macho Hank acts in season one it was also an important indicator that he did have a soft side and wasn't a complete DEA thug.

I never doubted for a second that Marie and Hank genuinely loved each other. Walt and Skyler however... I never got the impression that they were actually in love. They just seemed married out of convenience or out of obligation. But that ones debatable.

I think they were. That flashback that showed them looking at their home for the first time seemed to at least indicate that they were in love at one point in their life. Though they were definitely in a rut by the start of the show.

Max fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 29, 2013

Max
Nov 30, 2002

The Duck of Death posted:

It was in the first episode actually.

Agree, though, with the rest of your post. Ozymandias was something else. I haven't seen anything on TV that compares to that at all.

Yeah, there are very few film/tv experiences that I can remember where I was relieved that the episode had ended (in a good way.) Like "I don't think I can take much more of this."

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Timeless Appeal posted:

Nobody's looking for Jesse. Remember the Fring case? It is pretty irrefutable that Heisenberg was still around, but nobody wanted the case to go on longer than it had to besides Hank. They have Walt, they have the Nazis, and Skyler will probably do some jail time or serve probation. It's the end of the story. In the language of the show, nobody gives a poo poo about a possible second cook.

They may assume that he's dead, honestly. The last time anyone saw him that could have talked to the DEA was Marie, and he fell off the face of the earth the same time Hank did.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Your Gay Uncle posted:

They also know Walt was in New Hampshire, so someone besides him had to be cooking blue meth while he was gone. Unless they think his plan was to cook blue meth in hiding, drive up to a random bar in New Hampshire, call the DEA, then drive back to ABQ.

Since they found Walt in the meth production facility, they'll just assume the Nazi's were the one's cooking it. I don't think there will be any indication that Jesse was specifically there.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I guess I'm looking at it with a lot of cynicism. I remember when the DEA director zeroed out the budget to tail Mike because it wasn't getting them anywhere, and they had bigger fish to fry.

The media narrative surrounding this whole thing will be that THE meth kingpin was found dead in a super lab with dead Nazis, and the DEA agents bodies were finally recovered. No one will really care enough about Jesse to mount a large search, much less budget for it.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

2house2fly posted:

Yeah, same. My perspective is kind of skewed by The Wire I guess, where what's important isn't catching bad guys but closing cases.

I'm with you. I'm certain his name is flagged, at the very least, but I seriously doubt they would devote resources to actively looking for him.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

passionate dongs posted:

Small clip of Aaron Paul and Bryan Cranston reading the finale script together for the first time. It's part of the two hour documentary that's coming out with the collector's edition box. I don't really care to get the collector's edition but I do want to see the documentary (despite Aaron and Bryan seeming a little hammy in the clip).

Describing the M80 sweeping back and forth as Satan's windshield wiper is perfect.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

hiddenmovement posted:

The big mistake of every character that comes across Walt is they all think of him as pre-season 1 Walter. Meek, quiet, easy to manage. They all think they can sort of just quietly manage the situation and it'll all go away. Skylar thinks this, Gus thinks this, the only person who figures out what needs to be done is Mike but he gets put in terrible positions where he never really has the freedom to just put a bullet in his head (except that last scene near the river where he finally has that option and doesnt do it).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Mike was finally in a position to possibly do it but Walt had already taken the gun out of the bag, which meant that he wouldn't have been able to actually kill Walt even if he wanted to.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Exploder posted:

I'm re-watching this show, again, and every time I do, I find new things to be amused by. I've watched the first 3 seasons 6 or 7 times, but it's still as good as the first time, especially because I haven't seen it in over a year. I remember having the discussion after season 3 that there was no way they could top Half and Full Measures. Boy, in retrospect, I was so wrong. I can name five episodes off the top of my head better than Half Measures: Ozymandias, Crawl Space, Face Off, Confessions, and Dead Freight. And that is just off the top of my head.

Ozymandias will remain the absolute pinnacle of the series, in my mind. After killing Hank right at the beginning, I seriously thought no one was safe. Like, I was absolutely ready for them to kill Jesse right there and then before Todd stepped in.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Ravel posted:

It was a bad decision by Gus, Gale's product was perfectly sufficient and didn't involve all the baggage Walt brought (the cartel, Heisenberg investigation, and Walts destructiveness).

Considering Gus' cautious and meticulous characterisation it's a minor plot hole, but it can be explained by Gus wanting to possess the best meth product in the world, and as part of his eventual plan to sabotage the cartel and be the sole large meth distributor in the South West. Also Gus was never really as cautious as he was made out to be in season 2. I doubt season 2 Gus would personally host that little intervention between Jesse and the two street level dealers, no matter what Walt said.

I think the original plan was bring on Walt for 3 months and teach Gale how to make it, and then Walt stops due to dying from cancer or something else. He didn't expect Walt to push Gale out of the operation like he did.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

D1Sergo posted:

Then tell us where would YOU like the story of Walter White to end? :allears:

Jesse, sitting in his office and now manager of Alaska's newest laser tag center, is startled when his door bursts open. Standing in the doorway is the half rotted corpse of Walter White, who groans "Jesse, we have to do one more cook." Gale pokes his head in from behind and waves hello, because it turns out Jesse really did miss shooting him in the face.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

To one of the best shows on television. Watching the finale live was an emotional rush that won't likely be matched any time soon.

Seriously, those final three episodes were god-tier television, especially watching it live. There was nothing like having that firefight cut to black and having to wait a week for Ozymandias to hit.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Brightman posted:

Ozymandias was sorta nuts, the total lack of pulled punches was almost physically painful. There were just so many major consequences that had been hanging in the air for so long throughout the series all falling down in one episode. Watching reruns of it still gives me goosebumps like crazy.

It was amazing how you kept thinking "how could this get worse" and then the show answered it over and over again until there was nothing left. Seriously, Walt standing over his family with a knife and the cops have just been called and I'm thinking "well, that's it, you gotta run" and then they pull the rug out from under you and Walt steals Holly.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

DNova posted:

No, Brock is just picking up on the vibe I think.

Brock had previously seen Jesse tell Walter to gently caress off as well, so he's probably thinking about that.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Brightman posted:

I think it's pretty clear the initial plan was to gain the recipe through Gale and wait for Walt to die from his cancer.

At this point Walt had already killed three of Gus's men, I don't think there was a clean way out of it at that point. Maybe Gus would've been content with letting Walt die of his cancer and then Jesse could be the cook, but it seemed more likely that Gus wanted to speed that up and was waiting for Jesse to turn and then he'd have Walt killed at the earliest convenience.

I think this was the plan after Walt turned on him. Before that, he was just going to keep it going as long as possible. Gus wouldn't have really given Walt so much leeway in dealing with Jesse and the drug dealers otherwise. Everyone thought Walt was living on borrowed time when he was first brought in to Gus' operation. That he beat the cancer was unexpected and Gus just went with it, since he was doing a very good job.

After killing Gale, I'm certain Gus was going to get rid of him at his earliest convenience, and there was nothing Walt could have done to convince him otherwise.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I think the really genius and insidious moment of that scene at the house with his son was that in the back of my mind, I thought that Vince really did have the guts to kill Walt Jr, and when that knife got held up in the air, I really, really thought it was possible that he might bite it right there. Like, they had already taken out Hank and shat all over everything else, so why not just go all the way.

But then they pull the rug out from under you and Walt steals his daughter.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

That can easily happen since the show creator isn't always going to be hanging around on set, and the directing of the actors is left up to the director and the actors themselves.

Max fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 2, 2015

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I really loved how they had Walt own up to his selfishness in the final episode. It was really cathartic to hear him say "I did it for me."

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Walt was definitely going over to Gale when he got picked up. I actually don't know if Walt could have pulled the trigger if he had made it to the apartment, honestly, but getting Jesse to do it was a necessity at that point, otherwise he was 100% going to die.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

mycot posted:

It is, but it's also hosed up, which is why it gives me less tonal dissonance than other fan theories. Speaking of tonally off optimism, I noticed that till the very end people hoped that Walt would cash in that rain check for go-karts. :(

It's actually in the OP FAQ.

I know there's like a million rejected Breaking Bad writing ideas, but I thought the ones in this article were interesting. There's the interesting point that the writers just couldn't bring themselves to have Walt kill cops directly, as bad as he is.This one in particular feels like it could have happened so easily, but Jesus it would have been depressing.

If you listen to the podcasts that the editor of the show put together, Vince revealed in the final episode that his original plan for Jesse and Walt Jr. was to have Jesse get killed by someone, have Walt capture and torture that person, and have the season end on Walt Jr. finding that person on his own and get killed by him as he releases him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yes, that is correct. Eventually in the second season they have a good operation going after Jesse meets the ATM couple. Then things go bad again.

• Locked thread