Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Doesn't BB show Badger and Saul meeting for the first time? Doesn't that preclude Badger from a Saul prequel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Do people not own RV's in South America? Wouldn't driving a bus around arouse suspicion?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Well, I'm not too surprised. Most TV series outside of the US and UK have pretty low production value.

I'm still really interested in the show because it's a peek into differing culture in different parts of the world, the stuff about the RV/bus for example.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 8, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Walt is praying to either God or Heisenberg, and both answers are completely viable.

I hadn't considered the car, and that could work too... it's just that there's more thematic significance with him talking to God or Heisenberg.

The fact that it's unclear is actually the most interesting thing about it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Timeless Appeal posted:

The idea that he's talking to Heisenberg is pretty at odds with everything else going on. A lot of the finale is about Walt abandoning the notion of Heisenberg. He's no longer disassociating himself from his actions. He's recognizing who he is, what he's done, and why he's done it.
No, it's not.

You could interpret that as Walt accepting that Heisenberg was himself all along.

When he says to Skyler "I did it for me" it's both Walt and Heisenberg talking to her at the same time.

But that's the halfway point of the episode. I think at the beginning he's still got the two personas separated in his head.

The final episode is us observing the two states of Walter finally collapsing into one.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 8, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I think Walt talking to the car is the weakest interpretation because cars have never been a character in the show. Cars have symbolized things going on inside people's heads, but never been a character of their own.

overtone posted:

On the podcast, Vince kind of implied Walt was talking to the devil. Then he got coy and laughed it off. So it was probably just the car.

That DICK! posted:

I mean poo poo, don't they even talk about this on the podcast, about Walt's "devil's luck?" To me the scene wasn't Walt praying to a god, but a higher power. Whether or not he made it home was completely up to fate, at any point in his journey he could have been stopped by police and it would be game over.

You could reasonably interpret that Walt was either praying to God or the show's symbol for The Devil (Heisenberg). He could be praying to either of two opposite supernatural forces for help, and either interpretation could make sense. Isn't that amazing? Isn't that more interesting than just saying that there's one clear answer to who he was calling out to there?

edit: VVV I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm playing off your "devil's luck" quote

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 8, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Walt is praying to Vishnu

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I think the premise is strong enough that they don't need to ever bother with cramming Breaking Bad characters in there as a crutch.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Oct 9, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The way Mike was introduced into the show was pretty clumsy (He works for Saul? Wait no, now he works for Gus? Wait, he was always working for Gus?), but I'm not even mad about it because we got Mike.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I'd like to show some extra appreciation for "Live Free or Die"

Mike is recuperating after being shot during the raid on Don Eladio's. He is feeding chickens. Some of the chickens are being greedy and keeping the other chickens from eating. Mike is talking to them, scolding them for being greedy and telling them that "if Wendel doesn't eat, nobody eats." It didn't mean anything that the time, but during the rest of the half season Mike is fighting to take care of his men. It's a very tiny peek of foreshadowing at his character's direction.

Also, this scene and the one after, where Walt, Jesse and Mike meet in the desert is under the yellow filter. Previously, the yellow filter was always used when it was scary Mexicans doing scary Mexican drug dealer stuff and at the time I kind of felt like it was casual racism, but here it's all the white people with the yellow filter, signifying that these are now the "scary people."

edit: Mike is about to shoot Walt for killing Gus, and Jesse jumps in the line of fire, declaring that if Mike wants to kill Walt, he has to kill him too. Mike spent a lot of time in the previous season bonding with Jesse, and the plan was to sway Jesse's loyalty to Gus and Mike. Instead, Mike is unable to kill Walt because he can't kill Jesse. Irony!

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 10, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I think yellow filter happened at least once in America

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
You know, if they said "gently caress continuity" and decided to put badger and other characters in the prequel, you would not hear a single protest from me.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4vogf1Ebzo

RJ Mitte on Dr Drew with his mom, talking about how he was bullied WAITWHATTHEISTHATHERREALNAME

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
So with all the prayer debate and analysis we had about the finale, I thought I'd point out that Gravity is a pretty interesting movie you guys might want to see along the same lines. There are several forms of "prayer" in the film, and it emphasizes the need to reach out in communication, whether or not someone is there on the other end.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It's not offered till I say it's offered

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yeah, what's up after that? Spooge's death, Tortuga, Combo, Jane? Might not be your mom's cup of tea

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
http://io9.com/whats-the-most-overr...dium=socialflow

Hey guys, what's the most overrated show of all time?

hellofelipe posted:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
http://instagram.com/p/gB0pmlOIGt/

What does pink represent on the show

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

thetimebefore posted:

A little bit more on how Better Call Saul is shaping up-

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/breaking-bad-spinoff-bring-back-walter-white-article-1.1847159

A multiple decade timeline definitely sounds interesting.

Hmm. If it's skipping around, it suggests to me a very loose, non-sequential, self-contained-episode sort of format

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Any time I get some dust in my eye and I need to flush it out, I can just pull up Netflix, and get to the "You're never going to see Hank again" part of the phone call and instantly cry on command.

• Locked thread