Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
The most jarring of the Aged Heads was Aaron Paul in the season 1 flashback in Ozymandias. Breaks my immersion every god drat watch.

grilldos fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

CaptainHollywood posted:

The only finale I see topping/matching it is Game of Thrones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmNU8blUwms

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
A lot of time passed between the Ozymandias phonecall and the one to Flynn in Granite State. The former was fueled by Walt's need to escape, the latter about trying to make everything he did worth it; what consumed him in his time alone was processing what he had done and why. Granite State, being the penultimate episode, was structured solely to provide Walt with the motivation to finally admit to himself, and then act upon, his true motivations: baggage from getting hosed over years earlier (power), and making sure his family is financially secure* (the other form of power). He wouldn't begin to figure out how to more realistically accomplish the financial goal until he fully embraced his need for revenge a few minutes later, upon watching that TV interview. And if you listen to Walt's words during the Flynn call, he makes a big deal about trying to justify all the things that he did to Flynn as always about supporting his family, and clearly the poo poo that went down in Ozymandias was a part of that. At the moment of that call, he was attempting his only option. And it was pathetic, and he knew it, because it was razor thin and full of caveats that he kept having to explain.

*His familial concerns are actually very up for debate, especially considering how he ultimately achieved them. I'd argue that at the very least, giving his old colleagues hell ranks higher in him, but that's an entire other conversation from how organic/fitting the Flynn phonecall was. Note that his actions upon recognizing his financial motivations was a lovely plan that involved him barely doing any work. But when he accepted his need for vengeance, he truly acted.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/yb/id910055905?ls=1&mt=8

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Timeless Appeal posted:

A defining moment of Breaking Bad for me will always be that Skyler doesn't find out by actually seeing Walt deal drugs or finding meth, but just because it's a reasonable conclusion to come to when she put together all the facts available to her.

The show's got a lot of moments like this and is a big reason why it's as good as it was, but this is definitely one of the most pivotal. When I explain to people why I like Breaking Bad as much as I do, I describe it as full of characters with realistic and explainable motivations surrounded by heightened levels of luck and hyperbole. In other words, great character development with a grounded dash of Mexican magical realism.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Jesse's parents employed the classic brand of wishy-washy parenting where they'd be loud and emotionally overbearing but unable to see the discipline through to the end, ultimately turning all of their huff and puff into static noise that only makes the problem they're trying to solve worse. There's also a specific line from the dad in the realm of "we have to lay down the law and be consistent about it this time" in regards to Jesse. Jesse's weed experience with his brother affords him the opportunity to be a better parent to his brother than his parents are, to see the other side of the coin, and gain some powerful insight about who he is, why he's that way, what his potential is, etc.

The themes of seeing it through, strong punishment, and ineffectual lecturing are juxtaposed in that episode against Walt, who zones out when his doctor is explaining treatment options and side effects, gets bitched at in a role-reversal by his son for not acting differently due to the cancer diagnosis, and punishes a douchebag for a minor transgression by blowing up the guy's car.

Figuring out your job/role/talents and doing it effectively is a big theme for the whole show and season 1 specifically, the very next episode being the aforementioned Gray Matter where Jesse's recent experience with his brother/parents drive him to accept what he thinks his place in life is and try and cook meth The Right Way with Badger.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Jesse was probably very encouraged to not do a thing (drugs, gently caress up, be "bad") instead of being encouraged to do what he's good at (drawing, a general natural work ethic, street smarts). I bet his parents had no idea he was even good at drawing, or ignored it because it wasn't academic. That's why his drawings were kept in a box instead of on display. The differences between his and his brother's rooms is very telling.

I'm a relatively new parent, and one of the biggest pieces of advice I get from who I consider good people to listen to is "find out what your kid's talent is and that they enjoy doing and fan the flame". Jesse's parents didn't do that. It seems all they did was cycle through getting on his rear end and then relenting.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
The point of the crossword thing is that Walt has been manipulating Skyler, a woman he could recognize immediately as someone of respectable intelligence, since before they even properly met. It's a "cute story" that's indicative of a myriad of problems that will affect their marriage strongly years later.

The fact she's a waitress is just as important too given how and why the Gretchen relationship failed.

grilldos fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
My wife has always said that she missed the earlier seasons for the way they balanced really great comedy against the intense drama. It helped her deal with all the darkness and violence. The comedy becoming more and more subtle over time fits in with the themes of the show.

• Locked thread