Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

BlackJosh posted:

People talk a lot about the show's place in TV history, but how about Walter? Where is Walter White/Heisenberg in the pantheon of great TV characters? He's gotta be number #1, right?

Not really. There have been characters who were more evil, more clever, cooler looking, bigger cultural impact, whatever. Walter White was basically a pushover for the first 1/3rd of the show.

His transformation was great to watch and we all loved (hated) Walt, but I'd still pick Tony Soprano as a character I enjoyed watching more than Walter White. Hell, there were times in the show that I was more interested in Gus Fring than I was Walt.

freebooter posted:

Oh, and I still haven't figured out how I feel about the finale, but I do think: the flashforwards in season five were a mistake. The first one was shocking and cool at the time, because it revealed that Walt's empire had fallen apart and he was on the run. In retrospect that wasn't a good move. Without showing that, the possibilities for the show's ending were limitless - but since they did show that, we knew that the show was ultimately going to end in a certain way. I would have preferred not to.

It was still an absolutely amazing piece of television and I enjoyed season five a lot. I just think those two flashforwards were a bad move.

Vince Gilligan addressed this with an answer I felt was satisfying: the very first episode of Breaking Bad we find out that Walt has cancer. From the first episode of the series we know that Walt is going to die, so the ending wasn't necessarily "limitless." What we didn't know was what were the circumstances going to be around his death, and there was no way to figure that out from the flashforward at the start of season 5. All we knew was the poo poo finally hit the fan for Walt, so the fun was seeing how did he lose control.

Bubba Smith fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Oct 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread