Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

'Eh, I get to watch Black afterwards. It's not like I take this super seriously or anything, and hopefully some of my ramblings are amusing.

No, they're just stupid as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

HKR posted:

Don't ever worry about the police in a toku show. The last series had a police officer for a main character and they were hardly present.

To be fair, that was because Rinko was a bad character. The ones with cops that aren't tend to have them matter more.

But hell, forget the police in Wizard, the real waste was Section Zero or whatever it was called.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 15, 2013

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

We're never going back to the days of Ichijo, Hikawa or dang like even Hojo (who was actually a decent guy I always thought, just sort of pushed in all the wrong directions).

The cops in Toku are always sort of ancillary (barring Dekaranger), at best they're like, secondary allies but most of the time they just show up to ping bullets off of the monsters before being vaporized. And it's largely because like, you wouldn't task the cops with fighting monsters, it's not their role. Unless the cops are specifically tasked to deal with monsters they typically seem to know better to just stay out of it and leave it to them... Unless it's like, loving Signalman, but Signalman is awesome and I wouldn't tell him what he couldn't do.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Yeah if you leave them out, fine, I understand that, especially if you don't seem to have much of a plan for them.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Rei_ posted:

We're never going back to the days of Ichijo, Hikawa or dang like even Hojo (who was actually a decent guy I always thought, just sort of pushed in all the wrong directions).

Hojo was one of my favorite part of Agito, which is probably my favorite Rider show. He's one of the few characters in Rider that I can think of off-hand that's morally grey, barring the cast of Faiz (since that made some efforts to tell a morally grey story all round and treated the monsters as characters) and has understandable even if not agreeable reasons for all the dickish stuff he pulls. The fact that he mellows out a bit as the show goes on and starts treating Hikawa with a bit of respect later on despite their fundamental disagreements also works in his favor.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Rider Kick Cake

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
*smacks table angrily* WHERE ARE THE COPS TO FIGHT AGAINST THIS CGI DEER MONSTER WITH THEIR GUNS BULLSHIT gently caress YOU URO-BOTCH-I

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Well Yggdrasil has their own forces for fighting inbess beasts, it's just Riders and not like, Zect.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Parmesan Basil posted:

*smacks table angrily* WHERE ARE THE COPS TO FIGHT AGAINST THIS CGI DEER MONSTER WITH THEIR GUNS BULLSHIT gently caress YOU URO-BOTCH-I

That's not why I was asking where the cops were for. I was asking that because some random dumbass repeatedly showed off he had mysterious armor to everyone he possibly could, but no one questioned him on it. I ALSO said that it didn't REALLY matter, because it's strongly implied that the Company that owns the town want this to continue the way it is.

Why would I complain about the cops not attacking the monster of this episode? Dude wasn't even around long enough for any of them to ARRIVE assuming they have any.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yggdrassil just had that dude with the camera monitoring them instead of cops though. He appeared several times to monitor Gaim and seems to just want to watch what happens for the moment.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

There's another Gaim Interview out, this time interviewing Urobochi.

edit: Aaand your preview for episode three is here

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 20, 2013

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx6F_fCzHAg
"Banana!?"

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
That is incredibly goofy and I'm loving it :allears:

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The mainline toys for Gaim are pretty hype.

Arms Change 01 Gaim ORANGE ARMS
Arms Change 02 Baron BANANA ARMS

Ryugen should be out next week, followed by Zangetsu... And then I think Ichigo and Pine are out in a two-pack of just the armor, no figure.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 21, 2013

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"Chief, today, I'm a new man!"

I wasn't sure about Kouta at first, but he's growing on me quick. He's such a goddamn kid. :) Got tired of Fourze and skipped Wizard, but I'm definitely keeping up with this.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Episode 03

I look forward to hearing everyones questionable opinions about women and dancing.

Not really.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
"To trample your foes, and take all they hold dear. That is the true taste of victory."

I am loving Kaito.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Rei_ posted:

Episode 03

I look forward to hearing everyones questionable opinions about women and dancing.

Not really.

I get the dancing bit, but when were women a thing in this thread? Or are you anticipating that because of the sister's weird "get a real job" bit? I got what it meant thematically, but the metaphor sort of breaks down if you think of the teams as competing entertainers rather than gamblers or whatever.

Anyway, the rumors that Urobuchi was going to spring some big twist in episode 3 made some of my friends a bit disappointed, because none of the developments were all that unexpected. Personally I'm just glad that the show's premise is starting to ramp up. And I totally loved that Baron more or less shrugged off the mysterious girl's mysterious warning. He should be a fan sort-of-antagonist.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

/m/ got really weird about the sisters whole 'Please don't pay for your rent with what's essentially gambling payouts', but it's literally 4chan.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I can see what his sister was trying to get at, but man it makes her seem like kind of an rear end in a top hat.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Seemed like partly a cultural sentiment to me. Although you could compare it to Peter Parker using his powers to go wrestle pretty well, except presumably without his sister eating a bullet.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

My goodness, you could cut through that smugness with a knife. :allears:

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Dexie posted:

I can see what his sister was trying to get at, but man it makes her seem like kind of an rear end in a top hat.

Yeah, it was unfortunately worded. It must have sounded a bit too familiar for anyone who's ever attempted to make a living off of anything that isn't a typical 9-to-5 job.

Justin_Brett posted:

Seemed like partly a cultural sentiment to me. Although you could compare it to Peter Parker using his powers to go wrestle pretty well, except presumably without his sister eating a bullet.

...yet.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Mai's speech about Kouta doing stuff selflessly for other people was really weird too, considering he was really doing everything selfishly (as his sister points out) for himself. Episode 3 was pretty bad. Bad dancing, Kaito turning out to be a repetitious one-note character, and a potentially interesting Rider vs. Rider fight derailed by a bike race with no outcome and a weak fight against Inves that does nothing but show us the new Rider's finisher. Completely boring.

Was episode 2 a fluke, or maybe just even numbered episodes are going to be the good ones?

EDIT: The Gaim actors seem to be good at dancing in the Kyoryuger EDs. Why is the dancing in the show so terrible in comparison?

Potsticker fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Oct 22, 2013

Rei_
May 16, 2004

There's a bunch of different things going on. Mai is making an assumption about Kouta, which doesn't seem WRONG but is rather sort of naive, I guess? He also seems to be enjoying everyone's dependence on him. Kouta's actually pretty selfish, he's enjoying his time as a superhero, beating up like, tiny toy monsters as a stage performance rather than helping anyone. He's literally Spiderman right now using his new power to feel good about himself and earn some quick cash. Mai's whole existence seems to revolve around street dancing, though. Gaku Sono continues to be a pretty fantastic actor, I mean, for someone staring at a CGI Banana, he seems downright heartbroken that his time as basically a street entertainer has come to an end.

The suit actor playing Gaim is fantastic, Seiji Takiwa has been doing the Main Rider since like, Agito? Maybe he missed one or two but he's the primary Heisei Rider suit guy and I've always loved the amount of energy he has. Gaim has this sort of nervous energy about him right now that I really like watching, especially when Baron's coming at him. His fighting style is also really choppy and bewildered, even when he's fighting one sided, he's really just sort of swinging like an idiot, and I'm really excited to see him improve as the show goes on.

Speaking of Baron, we're starting to see some dynamics arise in how the different Riders relate to eachother. While this is sort of a no-brainer, it's something Rider vs Rider series always sort of stumble over so I like that they're not just setting up 'HEY, RIDER WAR' but there's actually people talking to eachother for several episodes so we can see how they feel about different things and how this puts them in opposition to one another. Ryugen for instance is someone who's incredibly loyal and subservient, but from magazine spoilers we're going to see that childlike hero worship tested probably in multiple directions. I like that we're seeing a bit more of the non-Rider Dance Teams, like RAIDO WILDO(?!?) and Team Invitto (and supposedly THAT dude is Gridon.)

Also, when Kaito is cutting that deck of cards he's playing with, the card that's showing when he splits the deck is Banana. I thought that was kinda cute.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Oct 22, 2013

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

It's absolutely cultural sentiment, since Japan has basically conditioned its nation to be workaholics and if you aren't doing a proper job that helps society you are practically worse than garbage in some people's eyes. That said, I kind of had to roll my eyes and assume she was pulling some 'with great power comes great responsibility' bit, as it's pretty much the only way she doesn't come off as kind of spiteful in that scene.

Though I don't really think Kouta is doing it for entirely selfish reasons. He absolutely does want to help his friends and his team, and he was all about giving his sister the proceeds from the Inves battles in order to help pay for rent and/or maybe let them eat out once in a while. If he's selfish about anything, it's the emotional satisfaction from being Gaim, which I think is kind of understandable. He is going to learn to be less showboaty with time, but considering things haven't quite gotten to the point where that's an issue (plus the fact that we are literally only on Episode 3) I'm not especially worried. If he's still acting this way by the time Movie War rolls around, we may have a problem.

Edit: Also, the Spider-Man parallels fall a little flat when you remember that Peter was keeping all the cash for himself, was absolutely secretive about his identity, and refused to help stop a burglary, whereas Kouta has already fended off two monster attacks, has been donating time/money to his friends/sister, and been very upfront about his new powers. It's not quite the same scenario where he needs a punch to the gut like Peter did to become a hero.

Unrelated, Kaito is hardcore.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 22, 2013

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Kaito confirmed for Jareth.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Liar Lyre posted:

Rider Kick Cake

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

All I could think off was "Kaito, that's not how you use a lance :negative:"

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Really like how fast everything is escalating from just dancing and Pokemon to something getting out of control and bigger.

I like he's confused about his powers. He just kinda has them and......? There are no real bad guys, well that they know of, yet.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President
I like that it feels like a way less lovely Ryuki.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Speaking of Ryuki, is that dude Bandou at the juice bar the same guy who played Kitaoka's assistant, um...Goro? He looks like the same guy at least.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Twelve by Pies posted:

Speaking of Ryuki, is that dude Bandou at the juice bar the same guy who played Kitaoka's assistant, um...Goro? He looks like the same guy at least.

Yup. He was one of the rotating TheBees in Kabuto too. Toei is very happy to recycle actors that aren't in lead roles.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

AzraelNewtype posted:

Yup. He was one of the rotating TheBees in Kabuto too. Toei is very happy to recycle actors that aren't in lead roles.

Wait, Fruit Bar man is creepy glasses dude from Kabuto? poo poo maybe he'll finally get to be actually relevant to the plot this series!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Rei_ posted:

/m/ got really weird about the sisters whole 'Please don't pay for your rent with what's essentially gambling payouts', but it's literally 4chan.

I'm not really sure what's weird about it. Then again, my first reaction to the scene was: "what an uppity oval office", so I'm part of the problem if there is one. I'd understand it completely if she had said she didn't want him spending it because something like that could be a passing trend and they should save it just in case things change or called him out on how arrogant he was acting, but saying that working is something people do to make other people happier and not to support themselves just seems really dumb to me. No-one works dead beat jobs because they enjoy them or are working to improve society. Someone could lie and tell themselves they are I guess, but I highly doubt even such a person wouldn't know the truth deep down and squashing her brother's happiness and fortune by saying it just seems like an act of jealousy to me. Also, it's not really gambling. Comparing him to a baseball player or other sports personality is much more appropriate. Even if she was concerned about making other people happy - isn't entertaining people a job that gives people happiness?

I get what they were going for, but they really went about it the wrong way and just made the sister come off as a complete bitch. Hopefully it's just a one time thing, but I doubt it given the melodramatic tone a lot of the interpersonal interactions in the show are taking.

RBX posted:

Really like how fast everything is escalating from just dancing and Pokemon to something getting out of control and bigger.

This actually kind of weirded me out a little this episode when the DJ dude was talking about how Team Gaim is moving up the dance rankings due to winning inves battles. What's the point of having them dance if their ranking is improved solely by how they do in inves battles? I know Urobuchi has stated that the dance thing is to show characters growing up by fazing it out over time - but pushing the dancing and battles together just doesn't seem to be doing anything except highlighting flaws in the show's own logic to me.

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 23, 2013

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I do have to chime in. I could understand what they might have been trying to say with the sister, but Dear Christ not the way she said it.

Basically what she said was Entertainment Is Not A Real Job. I don't think I need to go into why that's insulting and dumb, but I will share one thing. I was watching this with fellow goon Seer, who happens to be a video game programmer. He got a pretty good laugh at her nonsense. I really kinda hope that was a translation error across the board otherwise the sister is the least likable character of the show so far.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Personally I'd be focusing more on the fact he's basically using a superpower-granting belt to feed his own ego and get attention. Even if he were in a more regular career that's not healthy behavior.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

tsob posted:

I'm not really sure what's weird about it. Then again, my first reaction to the scene was: "what an uppity oval office", so I'm part of the problem ...

I get what they were going for, but they really went about it the wrong way and just made the sister come off as a complete bitch.

You are the problem.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

HKR posted:

You are the problem.

So can you explain what the problem is (as opposed to just saying it's a problem and then not illustrating why given that two people have done just that now between you and Rei_) so that I may be able to get past it, because right now I think it's just bad writing on the part of the team muddling the point they were trying to get across and making a character look worse than they intended her to.

tsob fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I don't know more than a few assorted words of Japanese, so I have no idea what the sister's original dialog was, but just going off of the subs, she comes off as a huge condescending bitch to her brother. "Oh, you're earning your money by street dancing and holographic pokemon battling? Forget it, you're not making the world a better place, so your money is no good here."

I paid my rent for a couple years being a grocery bagger and cart pusher, Would she refuse my money since working at a supermarket isn't making the world a better place and making all the customers so happy?

• Locked thread