Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Starting Wednesday Oct 9th is the newest show from the CW, The Tomorrow People!

Wait, no... The Tomorrow People!

Still not right. Hold on, I think I got this. The Tomorrow People!

There we go!

As you can see, this idea has been done a couple of times before all sharing a similar premise. The first version ran from 73 to 79 in England. The second version ran from 92 to 95 and was a British/American co-production and is probably the more well known version of the show seeing as it aired in America on Nickelodeon.

Basic premise is that the show deals with the next stage of human evolution where these Homo Superior/Tomorrow People begin appearing. They look like normal people except they have extraordinary powers, such as teleportation, telepathy and telekinesis. The series stars the standard CW cast of pretty 20-somethings with the lead of Stephen Jameson played by Robbie Amell and genre staple Mark Pellegrino as the villainous geneticist Jedikiah Price.

Early reviews state that the pilot takes its cues from other CW shows like The Vampire Diaries and Nikita in that it takes off running and doesn't stop. Although quality-wise they've been a mixed bag.

If you're wondering about the thread title, I got it from this fairly goofy video:

Deadpool posted:

Wednesdays on CW are all about family this fall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS8YrtwlaFk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
I was obsessed with the Nickelodeon version of this series, and look forward to see what the new one's like. I've cleared my Wednesday for this and Revolution. I'm hoping to get hooked, but we'll see. Thanks for creating the OP!

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah, I'll definitely be watching this. I too loved the Nick version when I was a kid, and I even managed to order the DVDs from a site in the UK for about $30. I went so far as to change the region on an old DVD-ROM drive so I could watch it again. I haven't heard if Roger Price is involved at all in the new series, but it'd be nice to see what he thinks of it. I just hope it doesn't end up lovely or ending on some cliffhanger and get cancelled.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I thought the trailer for this looked really good. CW has a pretty good track record with genre stuff lately. I think it and Arrow will make a good two hour block.

X-O fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 9, 2013

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
Echoing the sentiments already expressed -- loved the 90s Nickelodeon series and intrigued to see how technology/better budget changes the show over 20 years.

It seems like the CW is starting to expand its shows to appeal more to males, so partnering it with Arrow will be a good lead in.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One Nut Wonder posted:

Yeah, I'll definitely be watching this. I too loved the Nick version when I was a kid, and I even managed to order the DVDs from a site in the UK for about $30. I went so far as to change the region on an old DVD-ROM drive so I could watch it again. I haven't heard if Roger Price is involved at all in the new series, but it'd be nice to see what he thinks of it. I just hope it doesn't end up lovely or ending on some cliffhanger and get cancelled.

Price is listed as an Executive Producer but who knows how much he's actually involved.

Fun Tomorrow People fact, David Bowie's use of the term "Homo Superior" in Oh! You Pretty Things is actually because of The Tomorrow People. Turns out he and Price (who created the original series) met once when Bowie was doing a TV spot. Price explained the concept of a show he was working on and Bowie liked the phrase Homo Superior so much that he wrote it into a song.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

One thing I do miss from both the previous ones, even before it's started, is that they made a point to have a couple of different accents in their cast, due to the whole global phenomenon/people of tomorrow thing.

I'll be keeping an eye on this. I loved the hell out of the 90's version when I was a kid.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
This show looks alright, but "Luke Mitchell" in the main cast used to be on an Australian soap opera and he is one of the worst actors I have ever seen. Stilted does not even begin to describe it. Still I might give it a look, shows like this are a good direction for the CW to go in. And Peyton List is in it, that will go a long way to this being enjoyable.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

They look like normal people except they have extraordinary powers, such as teleportation, telepathy and telekinesis.

Now is this just a coincidental short list, or are they actually limited to tele-/mental powers like that?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Now is this just a coincidental short list, or are they actually limited to tele-/mental powers like that?

They have some more, in promotional material one character stops time so there might be ones that are a little more outlandish.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

They have some more, in promotional material one character stops time so there might be ones that are a little more outlandish.

That still falls under the umbrella of kinda esoteric mentalist type stuff, I think he was asking "are we gonna see anyone juggle engine blocks or leap tall buildings in a single bound".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, I was curious whether those just happened to be the 3 you listed and they also have Human Torches and Colossuses, or if it actually is restricted to that kind of stuff (presumably for plot reasons.)

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I don't know about this show but I have an hour to kill before American Horror Story airs so why not.

Just seems like it'll be yet even more teen angst.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Show's starting.

Edit: He's really into self bondage.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

No way this is gonna follow that episode of Arrow. But I won't hold that against it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So super gangs?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teleportation fight has already sold me.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Awkward!

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Deadpool posted:

Teleportation fight

I can't watch this right now but I still think I need to change my pants.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I wasn't expecting there to be bad guys with powers too.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I wasn't expecting there to be bad guys with powers too.

Did he call them Altereds? Like maybe regular humans that got powers through drugs or something?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Deadpool posted:

Did he call them Altereds? Like maybe regular humans that got powers through drugs or something?

I heard Ultras.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aphrodite posted:

I heard Ultras.

That's probably right. I didn't hear it well.

Also this show doesn't seem to be wasting any time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So no psychic crashed space ship? :v:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I wonder if it's Ultra as in MK.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Aphrodite posted:

I wonder if it's Ultra as in MK.

If it isn't then that's a wasted opportunity right there.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

It's not bad so far, I will accept this knock off Xmen television series. Oh wow they have all sets of powers. That's kind of bad rear end.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its funny how Robbie looks like a lot like Stephen sometimes.

Edit: Huh, that's a weird thing to keep.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Well, this show is almost literally just X-Men.

Neat, I guess.
Hoping they don't get too excessive with the high school drama.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Whoa, that's a neat twist.

Deakul posted:

Not really. They all have the same powers.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
:stare:

I can see failure sucks for an Ultra

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

That's a drat fine hook there with them not being able to kill.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Deadpool posted:

Whoa, that's a neat twist.

The unable to kill thing? Its something from the older series.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Mark Pelligrino makes everything automatically awesome.

Deakul posted:

Neat, I guess.
Hoping they don't get too excessive with the high school drama.

Or Heroes. Or Alphas. But hopefully more like the latter.

Also I think everyone in this thread is somehow ahead of me by a few minutes.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The unable to kill thing? Its something from the older series.

Never watched the old series. So it's a twist for me.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Me either although as a evolutionary trait that's a really really lovely one.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Deadpool posted:

Never watched the old series. So it's a twist for me.

Be glad we're skipping the huge sparkly belt buckles.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Kind of okay with Sparkly belt buckles everything looks better with them.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

"I'm gonna jump off a building, can you video it and we'll put it on youtube?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dude, those are all things people who need to be on drugs say.

• Locked thread