Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

This was fun and I loved the ending twist. I wonder if it is an all season thing, or just an initial arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS

King Burgundy posted:

This was fun and I loved the ending twist. I wonder if it is an all season thing, or just an initial arc.

That's what I was wondering too. The episode was fantastic. Strong start - hoping it doesn't fizzle out.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

thrakkorzog posted:

It's still kind of weird that the network that is apparently designed to appeal mostly to teenage girls has some of the the best genre shows out there.

Genre shows that are heavily designed to appeal to teenage/twen girls and women, which also happen to be good shows though.

I mean, the target audience for these ads should be pretty clear:

Decius fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Oct 10, 2013

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I do think its kind of funny how Mark Pellegrino expects Stephen to accept that his father (who can teleport) is dead just because he got into a car that blew up a second later.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

I do think its kind of funny how Mark Pellegrino expects Stephen to accept that his father (who can teleport) is dead just because he got into a car that blew up a second later.

Yeah, that's such an obvious way to fake your death as a teleporter that his dad is probably still surprised it worked.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

He's a teleporter, why was he getting into a car anyway?

Wolvorine
Nov 15, 2011

I am not drawing that.

Kwyndig posted:

It would have worked in the original series (I skipped the 90's Nick series), they had to have a few seconds to concentrate in that. Hell, it's been a long time, but IIRC I'd swear a villain used that against them at least once to stop them from teleporting. Well that, and they needed the sparkly-buckled belts to teleport (a focusing device, I think they explained it as). As it was, yeah that moment just stunned me.

And dammit, I really liked the original show as a kid. I want to like this (drastically re-imagined) show too.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Kwyndig posted:

I would have thought they would have ADR'd some more dialogue about finding his charred "body" afterwards or something. It does seem an obvious issue which should have been brought up in the pilot though, and not in a later episode.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
I didn't realize that this series wasn't a re-imagining of the 90s revival, but a retelling of the original UK series. This makes me like it even more, especially since all I remember about the 90s revival was that everyone washed up on shore and an alien space ship. The 90s version made them feel more alien, while this one has the nitty/gritty realism.

Good call on the producers.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Echoing the interest / praise for this show based on the pilot. The only thing that kinda bothered me was how the ragtag rebels had access to the magic supercomputer. Hopefully it will be explained later because it just seems strange. Though I guess every show needs their tech wizard that can hack all the interwebs and do everything through technology.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
His mother is definitely* going to turn out to be a mole working for the bad guys! :twentyfour:

Enjoyed it more than I expected, the twist at the end was a good enough hook for me to be interested in the next few episodes despite the pretty awful lack of acting talent on the show for the most part.

*Not guaranteed.

Wolvorine
Nov 15, 2011

I am not drawing that.

courtney_beth posted:

I didn't realize that this series wasn't a re-imagining of the 90s revival, but a retelling of the original UK series. This makes me like it even more, especially since all I remember about the 90s revival was that everyone washed up on shore and an alien space ship. The 90s version made them feel more alien, while this one has the nitty/gritty realism.

Good call on the producers.

Actually, it's not even remotely that, either. It's a completely new re-imagining of the core idea. Although while it's weird to see him look like a slide projector with a few wires and cables glued to it, I like that they still have a T.I.M. The original series was very much a 60's-coming-into-70's overcoming-through-peace kind of thing. There were only like 4, maybe 5 Tomorrow People around at any given time, and sometimes as low as 3 (as far as who was actually on the show, cast members did, from time-to-time leave the show or take hiatus by being shipped off to the Space U.N. whatever it was called).

I was amused, however, that the 2 lead males are John and Steven though. Those were the names of the first two lead males in the original series. Strange to think that that sort of callback to a show from the 70's from the UK would find it's way into a 2013 show.

I don't like the TP effect they're using though. It's too... violent and kinetic and flashy.

(Edit: And I don't care how old it makes me, I wish they'd have used the original theme, because it was boss. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOwX5NDJlj4)

Wolvorine fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 10, 2013

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
It seems a bit quick for him to be mastering his powers in episode one. He's just casually teleporting all over the place already.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Aatrek posted:

It seems a bit quick for him to be mastering his powers in episode one. He's just casually teleporting all over the place already.

I thought so too, until he decided to side with the enemy. He's been established as a legitimate threat to the rebels. Could be very interesting but I'll need to see a few episodes.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
I grew up on the 70's series. The pilot here is following "Slaves of Jedikiah" somewhat. Definitely needs more belt buckles though. I also found myself hoping they'd refer to their teleporting as "Jaunting"

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Well, this convinced me that Amellsdays will be amelltastic.

As someone who watched no prior version of the Tomorrow People, I like this show. Teleportation as a super power is seriously underused, you can have so much non-combat fun with it, and teleport spam battles are awesome (see Naruto).

So, has he joined his evil uncle for real, or just as a front to protect his mother and brother, seeking a way out? Will his brother develop psychic powers as well?

And is the basic premise of the "rebels" faulty? They seek their paradise were the normals cannot follow. Isn't this admitting that they cannot live in peace with the non-psychics?

Talon Karrde
Oct 18, 2004
It felt like a TV version of the movie Jumper. I wanted to see a silver haired Samuel Jackson

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

TheChad posted:

I thought so too, until he decided to side with the enemy. He's been established as a legitimate threat to the rebels. Could be very interesting but I'll need to see a few episodes.
I dunno, I had the twist spoiled for me and I was a little disappointed when I saw how it actually went down. I imagined that he would wholeheartedly jump on board because he decided the organization was right, which would have been an interesting take. Instead he did a sort of wishy-washy 'oh I guess they can give me better answers for now' thing and it seems like he's basically gonna be an inside man for the rebels, rather than honestly working against them. We'll see where they end up going with it though.

Oh, and I wasn't the biggest fan of the way they established the organization as evil. Agent screwed up? Guess we'll execute him for causing a problem that we've already fixed.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
I expected this to be terrible, and watched it just because I had an hour to kill between Arrow and American Horror Story.

..uh, I was definitely surprised. It was fairly good. Somewhat cheesy, I guess- but good.

I'm hoping the teleportation fights are going to be as awesome as they seem to be so far.

Wolvorine
Nov 15, 2011

I am not drawing that.

Phummus posted:

I grew up on the 70's series. The pilot here is following "Slaves of Jedikiah" somewhat. Definitely needs more belt buckles though. I also found myself hoping they'd refer to their teleporting as "Jaunting"
Thank god I'm not the only one. :) Yeah I kind of missed the 'jaunting', and I actually assumed John was the leader, the oldest, and the first break out for a good half of the friggin' episode.

And yes, it appears that it will indeed be Amell of a good time. (my personal favorite of the bunch)

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Talon Karrde posted:

It felt like a TV version of the movie Jumper. I wanted to see a silver haired Samuel Jackson

That movie was a piece of poo poo and an insult to the original book (which was actually pretty good).

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Am I right to think that John was Mark Pelligrino's son or did I totally misread the "John, you've come home?" line.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rarity posted:

Am I right to think that John was Mark Pelligrino's son or did I totally misread the "John, you've come home?" line.

Yeah, I was kind of wondering that too. Or it could be that John used to be one of the Ultra Tomorrow People.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, I was kind of wondering that too. Or it could be that John used to be one of the Ultra Tomorrow People.

John specifically said "Again" when they were talking about being captured earlier in the episode which every other character seemed to ignore as something they already knew about.

hellbastard
Apr 4, 2006

Wolvorine posted:

(Edit: And I don't care how old it makes me, I wish they'd have used the original theme, because it was boss. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOwX5NDJlj4)

Came here to post this.

High five fellow homo superior.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I watched the 90's show, but don't remember much. This is off to a decent start. Can't wait for the brother bad guy to start teleporting and say "SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKER!"

e: The superior song is clearly the 90's one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ5yEKWzkLw

Come at me :corsair:

PaganGoatPants fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 11, 2013

Wolvorine
Nov 15, 2011

I am not drawing that.

hellbastard posted:

Came here to post this.

High five fellow homo superior.

:respek:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Echoing the interest / praise for this show based on the pilot. The only thing that kinda bothered me was how the ragtag rebels had access to the magic supercomputer. Hopefully it will be explained later because it just seems strange. Though I guess every show needs their tech wizard that can hack all the interwebs and do everything through technology.

Yeah, TIM didn't feel at all like he belongs in this show's world, at least not as it was established in the pilot. He only seemed to be there as a concession to the source material.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

misguided rage posted:

Oh, and I wasn't the biggest fan of the way they established the organization as evil. Agent screwed up? Guess we'll execute him for causing a problem that we've already fixed.

Yeah that was a very hamfisted way of showing several show rules. I'm not going to worry about it as many pilots suck in comparison to the actual show.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
This title sounds familiar. Did the Nickelodeon show have a story arc involving a... glass cylinder with a wasp in it? And they would put a person in that cylinder and watch them swat at the wasp until it stung them?
Man, I have the faintest memory of this show. I think you could keep people from teleporting by putting a colander covered in circuitry on their heads?

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I remember something about it raining rice?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The 90s version was kind of weird in that there weren't quite as many "Tomorrow People" altogether. Also whenever they would gain their powers they would automatically teleport to some South Pacific island where there was a crashed psychic alien spaceship.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo

PaganGoatPants posted:

e: The superior song is clearly the 90's one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ5yEKWzkLw

Oh God, Naomie Harris. Years later, watching 28 Days Later with some friends, she got chased by a bunch of zombies and I kept saying "Teleport, Amy, teleport."

I'm still a huge dork.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Here. Have an awesome sizzle reel with a poo poo ton of :siren:SPOILERS:siren:.

Beware. I warned you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGeyVOxNbcI

Apparently this covers the first eight episodes of the series. So yeah, in true CW fashion this show is going to accelerate it's storytelling because there's a ton of stuff in this reel.

X-O fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 12, 2013

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Looks like it's worth sticking with the show to see if it turns into something really worthwhile, although to be honest I don't find the whole double agent angle all that interesting. I think it would be more interesting if the main guy had chosen to completely side with Jedekiah, rather than hedging his bets like he seems to be from that trailer . Looks like a good amount of action and plot all the same so the it should be an entertaining watch. I don't think the actors are particularly good, though they are mostly passable aside from the John character who is painfully bad.

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

This title sounds familiar. Did the Nickelodeon show have a story arc involving a... glass cylinder with a wasp in it? And they would put a person in that cylinder and watch them swat at the wasp until it stung them?
Man, I have the faintest memory of this show. I think you could keep people from teleporting by putting a colander covered in circuitry on their heads?

Aatrek posted:

I remember something about it raining rice?

This was from the episode "The Culex Experiment." Someone invented a machine that could clone organic material, demonstrating it with the rice. Then some psycho doctor who calls herself Dr. Culex used it to clone some sort of super mosquito that basically puts people in a coma and eventually kills them. Dr. Culex wanted to use the mosquitoes in some sort of world domination plan. The episode is a little better than the synopsis sounds.

Then there's the one with a crazy Kentucky Colonel type who wants to use a weather machine to destroy competing corn crops so his corn crops will be the only ones left. He basically wants his Corn Crinkles to be the number one cereal. That one was a little out there.

Overall I'm optimistic about this show. I'm a sucker for anything with Men-in-black types. I like to think of Ultra as some sort of Tomorrow People section 31.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Wandle Cax posted:

Looks like it's worth sticking with the show to see if it turns into something really worthwhile, although to be honest I don't find the whole double agent angle all that interesting. I think it would be more interesting if the main guy had chosen to completely side with Jedekiah, rather than hedging his bets like he seems to be from that trailer . Looks like a good amount of action and plot all the same so the it should be an entertaining watch. I don't think the actors are particularly good, though they are mostly passable aside from the John character who is painfully bad.

I know the double agent thing is nothing new, but it is entirely believable. He wants to protect his mother and brother, he does not to deliver the other Tomorrow People to his evil uncle and he wants to find out more about his father. Being a double agent is his best bet.

That was a pretty good trailer, seems like it will be quite interesting and fast-paced. Do we know how many episode there are in the first season?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I've just watched the first episode and that was an awful lot better than I was expecting. It had it's creaky pilot moments, but not too many. And while I thought the "can't kill people because of evolution" thing was just fundamentally idiotic given that they clearly express aggressive tendencies I'll overlook that because this is essentially Jumper the TV series. And god do I love Jumper.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 15, 2013

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I'll overlook that because this is essentially Jumper the TV series. And god do I love Jumper.

Just don't ever read the book, it will totally ruin the movie. That movie was poo poo in comparison. The book was really, really good though. Gould also wrote Wild Side which is also worth reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

New episode tonight: "In Too Deep"
Ultra tries to probe Stephen's brain so he looks to his fellow Tomorrow People for help. Meanwhile, Ultra tracks down the identity of a new break-out who uses his powers to commit crimes and John tries to convince Stephen to spy on Ultra.

• Locked thread