Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I don't know about you folks, but this is where I lost it:

and here:

Clowns are loving scary as hell!

Their big brother is nothing but pure awesome. I don't think I've seen a better 9th grader in any anime, ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

Dan7el posted:

I don't know about you folks, but this is where I lost it:

and here:

Clowns are loving scary as hell!

Their big brother is nothing but pure awesome. I don't think I've seen a better 9th grader in any anime, ever.

That entire scene was brilliant, I saw most of it coming but it still got me.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

And the older brother has clearly left his body. Probably to somewhere with an internet connection.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I was half dead from laughter after the first 10 minutes... but then I got to relax watching Renge make a new friend :3:. Renge really is the most adorable little anime girl ever. Her deadpan face just makes everything perfect.

On a more serious note, I'm still surprised at how much she actually acts like a little girl. I feel like little anime kids are either inhumanly adorable without any other notable features, or vicious psychopaths.

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

This show just gets cuter by the minute and I expect to lose all masculinity by the time this finishes.
Also, I think this is the first time I've seen a watermelon not get smashed in an anime.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Widdiful posted:

This show just gets cuter by the minute and I expect to lose all masculinity by the time this finishes.
Also, I think this is the first time I've seen a watermelon not get smashed in an anime.

Perhaps that watermelon leaned the secrets of its master, the pumpkin.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Gol-durn outta-towners in this episode! :bahgawd:

Actually it was not as funny as episode 2 or 3, but really sweet, and it caught a few moments that I really recognized (Renge blowing a bit of her hair that got in her face and letter writing, which I did when I moved across the country for a year in first grade.)

Renge's unchanging half-lidded expression really shone, too.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's cool how much the show changes depending on which of the characters is the main one for that episode. This episode felt the most like the first one, in that it was boring in a kind of amazing way. It's probably not a coincidence that both centered on Renge.

Widdiful posted:

If your definition of manliness doesn't include crying because you can't see your new friend I think you need a new dictionary :colbert:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

This kind of Renge-centric episode almost felt like the Yotsuba to! anime we're never getting. Enjoy everything!

The totally unintentional one-upping from Hotaru was great. "Oh, no, I've never ridden the Shinkansen. I came here by airplane."

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

nielsm posted:

This kind of Renge-centric episode almost felt like the Yotsuba to! anime we're never getting. Enjoy everything!

As different as Renge and Yotsuba are, you're right in that both handle kid characters in a very natural way. If hell freezes over and we do get a Yotsuba anime, this team at Silver Link would be the ones to handle it.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I like most of this show, but I think I love the hanging around not doing much of anything while beautiful nature scenery abounds best. It reminds me of camping.

I think I'll go camping this weekend. My life doesn't have enough doing of nothing.

Roflfox
Jan 29, 2008

Your one and only, scorching laser light
Even though you could see the self photo of Renge and Honoka being used at the end coming a mile away it was still maximum levels of heartwarming. :3:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

The entire episode fits the metaphor of the salted watermelon. Each segment featured a character getting pretty salty, which honestly was just fine and not that entertaining, but it made the ending (the reveal of the unintentional selfie) super heartwarmingly sweet.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Welp, that was weapons-grade adorable.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
This episode was great. It's easy to get carried away with being jaded and cynical all the time, but this episode felt like a reminder that it wasn't always like that. There was a time when you could be curious, outgoing, and playful without any sort of pretense except for the sake of having fun with the people you enjoy being around. This episode felt like being a kid again and all the innocence and pure fun that comes along with it. Love it, 11/10, AOTY 2013 (okay, maybe not, but definitely the sweetest SoL of the year)

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
Ep 4 was :3: as all heck. One of the things that make this series stand out to me is that the characters aren't really single-note or from stock templates, so the gags don't lean too hard on simply pointing out a character's personality and letting that be the joke, they're more about the actual situation. Even some series that i really enjoyed in the past have a 'shy one', 'boyish girl', 'adorable innocent one' etc. and just bounce them off one another, it's cool to see a series tend towards a different approach.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I think this show is exactly what Kinmoza tried to be, but never quite accomplished despite a fantastic first episode.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
This is such a goddamn nice show. It feels reassuring that there's a place in the world where people are allowed to work on things like it.

They keep upping the ante with the voice actress squad. This episode added Fukuen Misato and Takagaki Ayahi to the roster, both veterans at this point. Not that I managed to recognize either of them, strangely enough.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I had read some chapters of this in what feels like ages ago, and while I liked what I saw I think the anime is selling it even more. This last episode was just fantastic.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
This show is so relaxing, scary clown episode aside.
Especially with the music being so reminiscent of FF9.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Another amazingly chill/hilarious episode. The obligatory beach episode couldn't have been any better.

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

Suguru and Hotaru remain the best characters, but not by far.
This is going fantastically so far, all the characters play each other off so well.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Komari is the punching bag of the universe and also her younger sister.

The train station dinner scene was very familiar- once I was eating at a Chinese restaurant in Manhattan with my sister and a friend, and they ordered the spicy hot pot. Then neglected to take the peppers out of the broth, and both kept a brave face as everything they ate got hotter, and hotter, and hotter…

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I really loved how how Suguru didn't give a drat about anything on the beach trip, but cared enough about getting home that he made it in time for the last train.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
We're you guys watching the same episode? Cause this was loving awful. It's like all the terrible moe poo poo that the show was avoiding so far was just being stored up for this week. At best it's bland, at worst it's pedo-bait.

My gut tells me that this episode was handled by an outside studio that wasn't given good enough instruction about what kind of show this is so they just made it into some general anime thing. That's basically the only reason I'm watching next week.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
Good episode. Wanna fight about it?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I did actually groan when they got to the swimsuits. Once they got away from the beach though things improved quite a bit.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Who the hell thinks a kid is lost when they're buying a bunch of drinks from a vending machine.

And that brother just doesn't care about the world anymore (except for his sisters I guess).

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
I guess she really is easy to carry. Heh.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

We're you guys watching the same episode? Cause this was loving awful. It's like all the terrible moe poo poo that the show was avoiding so far was just being stored up for this week. At best it's bland, at worst it's pedo-bait.

My gut tells me that this episode was handled by an outside studio that wasn't given good enough instruction about what kind of show this is so they just made it into some general anime thing. That's basically the only reason I'm watching next week.

Pedo-bait? You might as well call the rest of the show pedo-bait then, if that's your definition. Just because they're in swimsuits doesn't make it shameless fanservice.

e:VV If we're talking about that scene specifically, then I'd agree with you. It probably would have been funnier if we never actually saw her swimsuit and instead Natsumi strolls in, explodes with laughter, and stumbles out.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 5, 2013

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
Yeah, maybe i've been ground down by the rock bottom standards of anime but it was pretty light, at least compared to some animeseses, though the scene at the end with Komari felt pretty light on humour compared to its (probably intended) appeal as a fanservice moment. I wouldn't call it pedo-bait neccesarily but that particular scene just straight up felt tacked on and not aimed at me. I'm considering eating my hat over the things i praised this anime for in my last post though.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Wallrod posted:

Yeah, maybe i've been ground down by the rock bottom standards of anime but it was pretty light, at least compared to some animeseses, though the scene at the end with Komari felt pretty light on humour compared to its (probably intended) appeal as a fanservice moment. I wouldn't call it pedo-bait neccesarily but that particular scene just straight up felt tacked on and not aimed at me. I'm considering eating my hat over the things i praised this anime for in my last post though.

The humor, for me at least, was her utter mortification at being seen in a school issued swimsuit that is probably 3+ years old. Her mother probably won't buy her a new one because that one still fits. :laugh:

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Most of this episode was Komari being hilariously tiny(and portable) and Hotaru being huge to rub it in her face. Plus the usual sideshows of irresponsible teacher and the brother unable to care about anything anymore.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The humor, for me at least, was her utter mortification at being seen in a school issued swimsuit that is probably 3+ years old. Her mother probably won't buy her a new one because that one still fits. :laugh:

Some of the things are funny, but the issue is how they're framed. Long panning shots over middle-schoolers in swimsuits are kind of creepy even if they aren't zoomed in directly on their chests and whatnot (which, at the least, didn't happen here).

Otherwise the show's pretty charming and hilarious, and it's really unfortunate that it's resorting to stuff like that. That kind of thing and the fake-feeling (to me at least) "my sempaiiii" thing Hotaru has going on are really the two things I dislike about this show.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Roland Jones posted:

That kind of thing and the fake-feeling (to me at least) "my sempaiiii" thing Hotaru has going on are really the two things I dislike about this show.

I actually found this really funny when it came up before, largely because she was so confused about it. Like, it was a cliche joke but it was done in a weirdly solid way. And now we get this episode where it feels so flat and boring. It's part of why I hated it.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I should add that i still have good expectations for the next episode, and this is still pretty great compared to most things in its genre. Hell, azumanga daioh, which kicked off an industry staple, had some similarly questionable moments in retrospect, where the subject is visited in a comedic but excuse-like manner, it's just kind of disappointing to see some negative standards being met, voluntarily or not. I can only really think of two moments that i'd have to ignore for this to be a 100% 'clean' episode, and that depends on whether your framing is 'anime is for pedos get out' or you're in it for the laffs.

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 6, 2013

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I count a beach episode where everyone gets to keep their swimsuits on as a win these days.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Yeah it's a beach episode where the focus is mostly on the hijinks and beach stuff, rather than bodies and outfits. That's a win enough.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

To be fair the synopsis in the Fall Anime thread did give a vague warning about this show. Not really surprised the show decided to go "5th grader? eh, gently caress it, lets just animate it like this for the otaku :10bux:".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
For comparison's sake, this and the following chapter are most of what this episode drew from. Hotaru got drawn a bit bustier, and the bit at the very end seems to be anime original, unless it was an omake bit that isn't scanlated yet.

• Locked thread