Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
More a cuteness episode than a funny one this week, despite being Renge centric. Not bad though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Baby Renge! :allears:

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

My god, Renge's song was terrifying.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Widdiful posted:

yes it was

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
In this episode, Renge's origin story. I'm starting to think that that family's parents are a myth.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

In this episode, Renge's origin story. I'm starting to think that that family's parents are a myth.

Sure sounds like -Monogatari. After 2 1-cour seasons, an OVA, and 3/4 of a another 2-cour season, the first of these mythical "parents" have finally shown up on screen.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 10, 2013

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Widdiful posted:

At least it wasn't set to "Traumerei."

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Now I have diabetes. Thanks a lot, NNB. :argh:

Also Komari needs to get away from Hotaru before she gets turned into a life-size plushie. :stare:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

This anime is amazing. Renge owns.

E:

ViggyNash posted:

Sure sounds like -Monogatari. After 2 1-cour seasons, an OVA, and 3/4 of a another 2-cour season, the first of these mythical "parents" have finally shown up on screen.

3/4 through? You seem to have forgotten her in Tsubasa Tiger.

Namtab fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 11, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Namtab posted:

E:

3/4 through? You seem to have forgotten her in Tsubasa Tiger.

True, but that's still after 26 episodes and an OVA.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Two episodes left, and apparently it's already covered 4 of the 6 manga volumes out. That means we're unlikely to see a second season for another two years at current publishing rate. :(

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
Someone needs to get Baby Renge with kitty punch mark as an avatar.

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

I say it every time but drat, Hotaru steals the show again.
This marks the first time in years that I've seen a 300 joke.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I was waiting for a snow episode and man it was basically the best.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Y'know, Sparta doesn't only exist in the context of 300 jokes.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Hotaru is really neurotic, isn't she?

As someone who once broke an elbow skiing though, I found that part of the episode a bit scarier than I should have. :ohdear:

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

Blhue posted:

Y'know, Sparta doesn't only exist in the context of 300 jokes.

I know, but it was obviously referencing 300, considering what was happening and how popular the jokes were.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

StandardVC10 posted:

As someone who once broke an elbow skiing though, I found that part of the episode a bit scarier than I should have. :ohdear:

I'm pretty sure that when someone is stuck on a ski hill the accepted protocol isn't skiing directly at them at full speed.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
There was a 300 joke in Noucome too. Maybe it's just the season for it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Snow is awesome :3:

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

The last two episodes have definitely cemented this image as the truth for me personally.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Making a kamakura that size takes hours of backbreaking labour. Immersion ruined.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Brett824 posted:

The last two episodes have definitely cemented this image as the truth for me personally.

But which of those four is the best of 2013 (It's GJ-bu)

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Nope, Yuyushiki.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
None of the above.

Miss Monochrome, Anime of 2013.

Always autotune Yui Horie.

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009
So, was 12 the last episode?

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
Yup. The BDs pre-orders are selling well though, so hopefully they'll pull out some OVAs or something. I don't think there's a lot of manga to take material from, though.

I hope there's some way of perfectly looping that funky moment because goddamn.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
Aw, that was sweet. It kind of felt like a call back to the first episode, with them just hanging out and Renge still feeling a bit insecure about living in the country. I still think the first few episodes were the strongest and it was just kinda cute fluff after that, but I enjoyed keeping up with it.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This episode had piggy-back rides and is therefore the best.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

AF posted:

Aw, that was sweet. It kind of felt like a call back to the first episode, with them just hanging out and Renge still feeling a bit insecure about living in the country. I still think the first few episodes were the strongest and it was just kinda cute fluff after that, but I enjoyed keeping up with it.

It definitely was, the last shot of the cherry tree budding was the tree the cast visited the first episode. The tone was closer as well, with those long segments of scenery set to music. I got kind of impatient during the first episode, but now that I'm more in tune with the show's wavelength it's actually very calming.

Suguru was used wonderfully this episode. He is best cow.

Except for a bit of hiccup in episode 5, I thought the show was very good all the way through. The best segments were the more meandering and chilled out ones, essentially everything involving Renge, but the show is stronger for having the older characters and their slightly more complex problems and busier segments (think Yotsuba). Renge kind of became a thing this season so I think that any OVAs and such will probably be mostly her.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

According to this, it seems like there'll be OAD out on the 23rd of July, 2014.

I have to admit, I laughed way too much at the pay-off for Renge wondering in the first episode whether or not she actually is living in the country.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Dec 24, 2013

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think out of all the shows I watched this year if this wasn't my favourite, it is at least the one I'm going to miss watching most.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Non Non Biyori is significantly better than Yuyushiki because it doesn't bore me out of my skull.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That section in the middle with just scenery and music was so chill I almost froze to death.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Brett824 posted:

On one hand, thanks to this image I got around to watching GJ-bu which I liked a lot. On the other hand, wow Kinsomething Mosaic sucked and I wish I hadn't bothered.

Overall good year for boring anime though.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I didn't even realise all 4 of those came out this year. Kiniro Mosaic wasn't so hot looking back but it's been a pretty good year for Dumb Boring Anime About Nothing Seriously They're Just Talking. I think Yuyushiki was the only one that made me actually laugh out loud a few times, which is pretty rare for anime.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

On the other hand, wow Kinsomething Mosaic sucked and I wish I hadn't bothered.

Kinmoza was the weakest of this years sol anims, but the first and last eps are art, and there's a fair few funny gags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
A friend just linked me to http://nyanpass.com/ for when I need a dose of Renge's nyanpassu.

• Locked thread