Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
At least nobody has made the completely cliched point that it's ok: the Walking Dead isn't really about zombies because man is the real monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Al! posted:

At least nobody has made the completely cliched point that it's ok: the Walking Dead isn't really about zombies because man is the real monster.

It's about the challenges of raising a child as a single father. :colbert:

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

RStar posted:

I have no issues with people liking the game. I just didn't like the narrative. I tried it on 360, then got it on the PC and I just can't get into it. I can see why others liked it though.

Multiple GOTY awards though? I think the name attached to the game had a little to do with that, yea.

Well yea, I didn't like the story. That's like getting mad at someone for quitting on a TV series after a few episodes because they didn't like them. They're still entitled to their opinion on the show are they not?

You're allowed not to like it, sure, but the game definitely isn't just using sudden zombies to create tension and structure the entire plot around so your minimal experience with it makes your argument entirely wrong-headed. People love TWD for the dynamics between the characters, not because it has zombies in it.

As for the suggestion that it only got such a response because it was a licenced property, well, no. TWD had a slow-burn word of mouth popularity that peaked after all 5 episodes were released. Not much to do with the name.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

And also the name attached to it is barely relevant as proven by the TV show being total garbage, not to mention the OTHER Walking Dead game. It'd stand well enough on its own if it wasn't called that - it's a good zombie story by any measure, though obviously it isn't magically going to appeal to you if you despise zombies.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
This is a good game. I liked this game. I think I like it more than Episode 1 of TWD but tonally it is completely different.

RStar
Aug 18, 2013

Hakkesshu posted:

And also the name attached to it is barely relevant as proven by the TV show being total garbage, not to mention the OTHER Walking Dead game. It'd stand well enough on its own if it wasn't called that - it's a good zombie story by any measure, though obviously it isn't magically going to appeal to you if you despise zombies.

Its one of the highest watched shows on television, and you're right, it is garbage. So doesn't the prove the exact opposite of what you're trying to say here?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The TV show isn't popular because of the comics though, it's popular because there isn't any other mainstream zombie TV show and people eat that poo poo up regardless of quality. 90% of the people who watch that poo poo haven't heard of the comics.

RStar
Aug 18, 2013

Steve2911 posted:

The TV show isn't popular because of the comics though, it's popular because there isn't any other mainstream zombie TV show and people eat that poo poo up regardless of quality. 90% of the people who watch that poo poo haven't heard of the comics.

Yea, that's true. But I think the game got a lot of buzz because of the show. That's not taking anything away from the game, although I don't think it merited game of the year awards.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.
It also ignores that the comic and the other video game aren't arbitrarily successful. And the show isn't /that/ bad, it's loving weird to act like millions of people are deceived into enjoying something cause 'zombies' when nobody even talks about them in regards to why they do. Zombies were TWD's Meth in BB, it's there, but it has nothing to do with the appeal.

As far as this, the major problem is being 1/5th of a game released the day before Pokemon, and most people I know had to decide between the two. They'll play it, but a lot of people won't play it right away. But it's very much gonna get carry over from twd.

And it deserved every accolade it got, I'm sorry you didn't like it, but you're in the unfortunate position of being the inevitable statistical outlier. But TWD wasn't about zombies, they were the setting more than the plot.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Stormageddon posted:

I didn't, but seeing 90+% choose going to see Toad, even though it look like the guy was committing suicide in the mirror was great.

Honestly, I couldn't tell what the hell was supposed to be happening in his mirror.

RStar posted:

I never got into TWD. Tried but I only got to the farm and thought "I don't care about these people." I found the characters boring. I found the over the top tension annoying.

That being said I love this game so far. This is way better story telling where its not always "Look out! A ZOMBIE!". Can't wait for the next episode.

If you played through episode 2 of Walking Dead and thought the story telling didn't go beyond "look out a zombie!" then I have no idea what to say. I mean, opinions are subjective and all but sometimes you're just plain wrong.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 12, 2013

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I failed on the very first "mash Q" QTE, pressed "reload from checkpoint", bam, camera is at the hallway, music is playing, nothing happens, need to reload from the very start. I restarted 4 times already because this QTE is loving bullshit, still stuck and I want to murder everyone in this game already.

Anybody else is this bad with QTEs had gamebreaking bugs in their experience?

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.

raditts posted:

Honestly, I couldn't tell what the hell was supposed to be happening in his mirror.

I saw a pool of blood and the knife, figured he'd just sliced his arms, but he was moving iirc. It's odd because I was like "Oh poo poo, gotta get over there" before the phone rang. That Toad scene went from sinister to heartwarming, too. Was it just me or did others feel like there was child abuse going on? Turned out to be the opposite, thank gently caress, and the Toads really are the best thing so far. TJ is so fuckin :kimchi:

raditts posted:

If you played through episode 2 of Walking Dead and thought the story telling didn't go beyond "look out a zombie!" then I have no idea what to say. I mean, opinions are subjective and all but sometimes you're just plain wrong.

Seriously, episode II was pretty much no zombies, and probably one of the most intense experiences in my life of gaming. They even managed to make me care about Larry, just a little tiny bit, about the size of that chunk of jaw over there.

Stormageddon fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 12, 2013

Torix
Nov 9, 2005

RStar posted:

Multiple GOTY awards though? I think the name attached to the game had a little to do with that, yea.

Haha. There are mountains of movie and TV show tie in games and they're almost all universally garbage, because they are badly written, designed, rushed cash grabs. TWD succeeded because it did what it did well - some real effort was put into making it enjoyable beyond the name. Hell, everything Telltale ever does is based on an existing outside property and the quality of the games have varied widely despite that.

I'm certain that TWD could have been its own made-up IP and still enjoyed the same amount of success.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Heliotic posted:

It's about the challenges of raising a child as a single father. :colbert:

Of course, the Zombies were just an analogy for alimony. :kamina:

Riff
Oct 2, 2005

Just finished the first episode, really enjoyed it.

A couple of things I noticed
1) I gave faith all of the money I had, I'm guessing someone took a picture of that and will use it as blackmail later.
2) Beauty is actually a Lamia which means she occasionally goes crazy and kills people, so potentially she's the killer.
3) I noticed a ginger kid with freckles in the hall way, then I saw him again outside ichabod's office and it seems as though he was driving the taxi you take with Snow near the end... another possible killer.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So after being blown away by the story and writing I went and checked MobyGames for any previous work that Pierre Shorette, the lead writer, had done.

Turns out this is pretty much his first time writing for any game. All I can find are game tester credits before this.

Man talk about hitting it out of the park on your first shot.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Stormageddon posted:

I didn't, but seeing 90+% choose going to see Toad, even though it look like the guy was committing suicide in the mirror was great.

I simply assumed from what we saw in the mirror that he was a goner and could wait.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

theblackw0lf posted:

So after being blown away by the story and writing I went and checked MobyGames for any previous work that Pierre Shorette, the lead writer, had done.

Turns out this is pretty much his first time writing for any game. All I can find are game tester credits before this.

Man talk about hitting it out of the park on your first shot.

Well, the important part is that he's just the lead writer. As in, there's more than one. That's important, because all too often you see one guy taking it on all by themselves, whereas when you go for a collaborative approach, you often end up with something a lot better.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Xoidanor posted:

I simply assumed from what we saw in the mirror that he was a goner and could wait.

Letting the prince live, if he originally didn't would have had too major of an effect on the plot. Mr. Toad living probably would not.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Crappy Jack posted:

Well, the important part is that he's just the lead writer. As in, there's more than one. That's important, because all too often you see one guy taking it on all by themselves, whereas when you go for a collaborative approach, you often end up with something a lot better.

Well for the first episode he was the only writer.

Not sure if they have any other writers lined up. I imagine it will be similar to TWD where he'll take on the majority of the episodes, like Sean Vanaaman did for Walking Dead.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Al! posted:

No, I'm pretty sure the zombies are the monsters

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Xoidanor posted:

This was my feeling as well, and from the look at the statistics, I think a very large majority came to that conclusion.

I'm hoping Giant Bomb does a breakdown of each episode with Telltale again, it gave a lot of insights into how they were doing things. I imagine for that particular decision they're going to mention that they should have picked a different image to show the player when they check up on Lawrence.

Garbanian
Sep 18, 2011

GUUUUUURRRRLLLLL
I'm just glad I'm not the only one who is loving this.
I don't care if the choices I make don't actually matter or do matter or anything.
I feel morally obligated to do certain actions, and i'm allowed to make those actions as part of the story, and it flows.
I'm the kind of person who will go through the game again to make different choices and still not be able to cause I feel terrible making different choices.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Playing "Recognize the Walking Dead character" in this episode was quite fun. Some were easy to pin down and others were quite a surprise (Beauty being the same VA as Clementine, for example)

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Would anyone mind reading off about how long they spent with Episode 1? I want to savor it a bit but if it's uncharacteristically 5 hours long or something then that'd be nice.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Cavauro posted:

Would anyone mind reading off about how long they spent with Episode 1? I want to savor it a bit but if it's uncharacteristically 5 hours long or something then that'd be nice.

The episode took me 2 hours to beat.

Professor Cthulhu
Jul 14, 2007

I got my Associate degree at Miskatonic Community College.
I never read this comic or played TWD games, but I just played the first chapter of this and I loved it.

I tried to be a nice guy most of the time, but when I got the prompt to rip off Grendle's arm I did it just because of how insane it seemed. I don't even regret it because it was awesome. After that I tried to pay for the whiskey, but I'd given all my money to Faith at the beginning.:smith:

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
About 2 hours, worth playing over, things stick out. Also watching how the other choices play out.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Wow this was actually really really good. I can't believe that I let myself get attached to the Snow White character only to have her get killed in the FIRST loving EPISODE. drat you TellTale we could have been a team!

I also am surprised so many of you guys chose to go see toad instead of dealing with the guy that had a pool of fresh blood on the ground next to him. Does this mean you guys didn't get the incredible scene where Bigby arrives after the encounter is already over and has to piece together what happened?

Loving the art direction and use of color as other's have mentioned. The music is also top notch.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Talorat posted:

Wow this was actually really really good. I can't believe that I let myself get attached to the Snow White character only to have her get killed in the FIRST loving EPISODE. drat you TellTale we could have been a team!

I also am surprised so many of you guys chose to go see toad instead of dealing with the guy that had a pool of fresh blood on the ground next to him. Does this mean you guys didn't get the incredible scene where Bigby arrives after the encounter is already over and has to piece together what happened?

Loving the art direction and use of color as other's have mentioned. The music is also top notch.

The difference in the second visit to Toad's is only that you get a brief glimpse of one of the tweedles through the hole in the wall if you go there first. Otherwise it plays out the same as if you went there after visiting Lawrence.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
This is excellent. I especially love the music, it takes noir-type game music to the next level.

Also, every single comic book game should have art and rendering like this. No loving exceptions. I'm looking at you...basically every other comic book game in the age of 3d games.

edit: should I consider playing this episode through again and making different choices to see what would happen, or would that just gently caress everything up?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 12, 2013

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
If you go to Toad: You solve the assault mystery with Toad, then you go to Lawrence's, you show up to him with a hole in his head, get him water, and then he just says "Faith"

So, my ladyfriend played it and said it was very heavy on the violence towards women thing, and it really was. Within the first 10 minutes you save a hooker being assaulted, then everything that happens with the beheadings, the incest hinting, the covering her up with Donkey Skin. But she isn't comfortable calling it 'sexist', because after Walking Dead, she feels this is all very intentional and expects that violence to play a thematic element, especially with Bigby's major theme being controlling his anger and the fear he strikes in others. We both have a feeling episode II is gonna start dealing with some major poo poo, so...man. I can't wait

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Riff posted:

Just finished the first episode, really enjoyed it.

A couple of things I noticed
3) I noticed a ginger kid with freckles in the hall way, then I saw him again outside ichabod's office and it seems as though he was driving the taxi you take with Snow near the end... another possible killer.

I noticed this too, and thought it had to be too much of a coincidence to not mean anything.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Man, Telltale took that Walking Dead money and really tightened up the technical side of things. Every single one of their games have bad FPS, dodgy cursors, dodgy menus and awkward cuts/timing of dialogue, but this was so much more polished in every respect.

As for the game itself I gently caress'n loved it. I've read the first 10 chapters of the comics so far (started when the game was announced) but I feel like it did a really good job of being a jumping on point for people who've never heard of it. I'm somewhat surprised it doesn't even have Fables in the title, that's some confidence right there.

I chose the Woodsman at the end and I regret it now. I'd already had a good chance to talk with him, I just felt like he was the bigger priority instinctively even though I doubt there's much more he can tell me at this point. I'm surprised so many people went with Toad (I did) when the other option was far more related to the case at hand.

(Chapter 1 of the comic) I also have a feeling Faith isn't really dead, seeing as how we know Snow isn't.

And I was quite surprised at the tits in the background of the 'next time' preview, I don't think Telltale's ever gone nearly that far before.

Bluedust
Jan 7, 2009

by Ralp
Just finished. I liked it a lot, never heard of Fables before and it's a cool concept. The only thing that really bothers me is the horrible dynamic shadows.

e:

Dr. Video Games 0029 posted:

They provided the illusion that most of my choices mattered, and now I know that most of them don't. They do nothing to balance this dissonance; in fact they continue to bank on it. I think this sucks. I may be alone in the wide uncaring universe in this regard, but I do feel it, and it matters to me that most of my choices don't matter in TTG games where once I was led to believe that they did. It's like realizing that wrestling is fake and magic is showmanship.

I can appreciate the story and the graphics and blah blah blah. What I cannot get around is the fact that they're still trying to convince me that most of my choices matter. Not all of them do. Only a few. And I'd rather deliberate on those few choices - not necessarily to make the "right" choice, mind - than spend every moment of every choice thinking "what I do right here matters. This is going to come up later. Which one do I want the most?"

drat you're a baby.

Bluedust fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 13, 2013

Thomsen
Jan 8, 2012
I liked this one, its pretty looking, and I like Telltale's style of game. I keep expecting Sawyer from Lost's voice to come out of the main character's mouth.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I was really psyched for this and a new Telltale series in general, then I found out that Fables is massively Zionist and that Bill Willingham is a colossal prick. Then I heard that Fables relies on some pretty disgusting stereotypes outside of the obvious racism of portraying The Adversary as a relentless and evil colonizer. I'm not sure if I could ever get into something like this. Then again, Telltale is a company which has already taken something I just can't get into made by someone I find distasteful -- The Walking Dead -- and produced a game series that was touching and heartbreaking.

Al! posted:

That explains how problematic the TV show is, at least. At least the parts other than people who keep choosing to follow these plainly unstable and violent sociopaths for no other reason than to propel the plot forward.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I was really psyched for this and a new Telltale series in general, then I found out that Fables is massively Zionist and that Bill Willingham is a colossal prick. Then I heard that Fables relies on some pretty disgusting stereotypes outside of the obvious racism of portraying The Adversary as a relentless and evil colonizer. I'm not sure if I could ever get into something like this. Then again, Telltale is a company which has already taken something I just can't get into made by someone I find distasteful -- The Walking Dead -- and produced a game series that was touching and heartbreaking.
Yeah, I heard this from a friend before I started, but I'm relatively okay with that, and I'll be interested to see how it works into the game. Hell, I'm an American, if I didn't tolerate their existence to some degree I'd never be able to vote for anyone ever.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 13, 2013

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The key is that this game takes place before any of the horrible Bill bullshit became apparent, so there's no need to address it in the narrative. And thank gently caress for that because these books get odious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
The story is very insular, making all the crummy politics completely out of the picture. So far, this is about a small community, and none of the gross allegorical stuff has been included.

• Locked thread