Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
futureproof
Jul 19, 2006

Victory for the monkey beast!
I like how Bigby's true form is actually a giant wolf and the more classic werewolf looks we've seen so far have been half transformations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.

marnold posted:

Some what off topic question, as people seem to be making GBS threads all over the comics here - which I thought were more or less consistently brilliant for as long as I read them. How is fables now? I stopped at The Good Prince trade. Havent really read much comics since in general. I heard the latest cubs tale was good. But yeah... should I pick it up again? I think the next trade is War and Pieces.

I enjoyed them, too. Didn't quit for any particular reason, around the time Mr. Dark came around, but nothing rubbed me the wrong way. People comparing dude to OSC blows my mind, since Willingham keeps to himself with his lovely opinions and is bad at conveying anything resembling I/P, and OSC loudly gives to groups seeking to ruin lives, rants about how Obama youth is gonna take him away, and very clearly lets his politics leak through. I've no problem with people who can't get past Willingham with Fables, but there's a lot more to it than him. I hear it's mostly downhill from there though in terms of quality.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
He's less Scott Card and more Claremont, but replace sexy sexy mind control with weird right-wingery. To be fair, there are few creators as dedicated to ejecting their poo poo everywhere at high velocity than Scott Card.

The more Fables goes on, just like the more Claremont wrote X-books, the more noticeable the bits that make you take pause become. Also he acts like poo poo to fans, but the number of people who actually interact with him on that level is a fraction of a fraction of the readership. Also if you liked Stephanie Brown he is right below Didio in the fucker-meter, but again that's a fraction of a fraction.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.
Yeah, he's in the "If his politics bleed through, I'll avoid the work", like Doug Tennaple(I had a friend mention boycott of TWAU whose a huge Adventure Time fan, and I think he's come around to reasonable), not the "Pay to see another movie and sneak into Ender's Game"

To put it as I will suggest from now on in the months of this topic coming up: The Wolf Among Us is more good than Bill Willingham is bad.

Stormageddon fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 14, 2013

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

So this game looks to be just as good if not better than TWD and I seriously can't wait for the next episode. How long was it between TWD episodes? I didn't play that until it was already all released.

Also since I haven't seen it mentioned in the thread yet and I don't think many people would catch on to it, I thought I'd write a bit about the tarot cards found on Crane's desk.

The Strength card isn't about physical strength, but about inner strength, courage, and control. The card shows an image of a girl taming a huge beast without fear. It's a pretty perfect match to Bigby's character. The Tower card shows a tower or castle being struck by lightning and crumbling. It symbolizes a fall, whether it be a fall from power or a fall from grace, or just a general stroke of really bad luck. This is not a card you want to see drawn. The Ten of Swords is another Really Bad Card. It's also called Ruin. It shows a dude getting straight up stabbed in the back with ten swords. This card symbolizes just getting hosed up beyond all belief.

Most cards in the tarot deck have dual meanings, or have ways of being read as a good sign or a bad sign. Most people are afraid of the Death card, for example, but that card actually symbolizes a rebirth, a new beginning. The Tower and Ruin cards, though? Those cards are always bad. Those are the ones you should be afraid of.

Seeing Bigby draw those cards makes me really, really worried. :ohdear:

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Stormageddon posted:

I enjoyed them, too. Didn't quit for any particular reason, around the time Mr. Dark came around, but nothing rubbed me the wrong way. People comparing dude to OSC blows my mind, since Willingham keeps to himself with his lovely opinions and is bad at conveying anything resembling I/P, and OSC loudly gives to groups seeking to ruin lives, rants about how Obama youth is gonna take him away, and very clearly lets his politics leak through. I've no problem with people who can't get past Willingham with Fables, but there's a lot more to it than him. I hear it's mostly downhill from there though in terms of quality.
It doesn't matter if his I/P allegory is hamfisted, it's the fact that it's so thinly veiled. Haven is Willingham jerking off onto the page.

Stormageddon posted:

To put it as I will suggest from now on in the months of this topic coming up: The Wolf Among Us is more good than Bill Willingham is bad.
Telltale steers clear of the bullshit just like they avoided Robert Kirkman's misogyny when they made the Walking Dead.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Technically The Tower can also be read as being able to withstand oncoming misfortune. It can also represent the necessity to change directions of habit and thought, which totally applies to Bigby not only in this case but in general.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
It's funny that they tied two specific Book of Fables sections to whether or not our Wolf tore off Grendel's Arm. Of all the instances Bigby can be cruel, it's kind of silly they only let you read about his bad side if you use stupid outright violence in the last big fight of the chapter.

However, I get a feeling Blue Beard is very much involved seeing as our now twice murderer is only targeting women at this point. They aren't his wives in a traditional sense, but if he's involved in the prostitution racket that Faith was in and has a high enough position in Fabletown politics - well, he may have a very old world ownership of a sort over at least one them with the power his connections and "business enterprises" the Book of Fables implies he deals in.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 14, 2013

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Crabtree posted:

However, I get a feeling Blue Beard is very much involved seeing as our now twice murderer is only targeting women at this point. They aren't his wives in a traditional sense, but if he's involved in the prostitution racket that Faith was in and has a high enough position in Fabletown politics - well, he may have a very old world ownership of a sort over at least one them with the power his connections and "business enterprises" the Book of Fables implies he deals in.
That and the preview image for episode 4 has Bigby staring Bluebeard down across a desk. He's might not be the Sydney Greenstreet of the story, but he has a finger in the pie for sure.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
On having fingers in the pie Wonder when Jack is showing up.

Professor Cthulhu
Jul 14, 2007

I got my Associate degree at Miskatonic Community College.
I thought it was weird that Bluebeard came up as an option at all. I'm going to continue making baseless accusations against him every chance I get.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
iirc Wasn't Bluebeard completely incompetent in the comic? But was still a suspect of every crime?

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Stormageddon posted:

Getting rid of The Adversary kind of ruined the series for a while, it removed the major source of narrative tension that kept the story moving along. That said, it's gotten better recently.

Any speculation as to the release dates of later episodes? Are we talking a couple months apart, or longer?

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Professor Cthulhu posted:

I thought it was weird that Bluebeard came up as an option at all. I'm going to continue making baseless accusations against him every chance I get.
Doesn't Bigby have a hard-on for bringing Bluebeard down?

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Telltale steers clear of the bullshit just like they avoided Robert Kirkman's misogyny when they made the Walking Dead.

I've only read a few walking dead/invincible issues a long time ago, but how is Kirkman misogynistic? I've never heard that before.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Insect Court posted:

Getting rid of The Adversary kind of ruined the series for a while, it removed the major source of narrative tension that kept the story moving along. That said, it's gotten better recently.

Any speculation as to the release dates of later episodes? Are we talking a couple months apart, or longer?

Re: recent comics

I really liked the somewhat recent story where a baseball game in Flycatcher's kingdom turns violent. That one even had a slight liberal tinge what with Flycatcher desperately trying to avoid the death penalty.

Re: episode releases

I think the longest time between two Telltale episodes was around a month and a half, with Walking Dead. It's safe to assume that the next episode will be out in November, but Telltale usually doesn't announce their release dates until the same week an episode is out.

TJO
Aug 14, 2006

I had a funny feeling in my gut.

Mr. Maltose posted:

He's less Scott Card and more Claremont, but replace sexy sexy mind control with weird right-wingery...

The more Fables goes on, just like the more Claremont wrote X-books, the more noticeable the bits that make you take pause become.

Oh god really? I started reading because the game was so good but even the early issues are doing my nut a bit. The fifth page, first long bit of speech, has Snow White having a go at the welfare state and whatever the dude is trying to do with Goldilocks is just bad.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

TJO posted:

Oh god really? I started reading because the game was so good but even the early issues are doing my nut a bit. The fifth page, first long bit of speech, has Snow White having a go at the welfare state and whatever the dude is trying to do with Goldilocks is just bad.

Ain't it weird how episode one paints her as this woman that cares about the vast amounts of disenfranchised Fables who are boned by the system? And, of course, leftists only care about the power the cause can give them :ssh:.

Professor Cthulhu
Jul 14, 2007

I got my Associate degree at Miskatonic Community College.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Doesn't Bigby have a hard-on for bringing Bluebeard down?

I never read the comic. If that's true then that would make sense.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

O__O posted:

I've only read a few walking dead/invincible issues a long time ago, but how is Kirkman misogynistic? I've never heard that before.
None of his leaders are women and he backs this up with ~~~science~~~. Like, women are physically less strong than women and are therefore incapable of leadership because leadership in this world involves not just manual labor, but strength that stretches the limits of human capabilities (tell that to the Governor).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I've not gotten far in the comics at all, but I leafed through a later volume in a bookshop today and noticed that ALL the pages had weird borders on the left and right side of the page. Is that just a thing that they consistently do after a certain point? What's the point, other than to reduce the content on the page by 25% or so?

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

None of his leaders are women and he backs this up with ~~~science~~~. Like, women are physically less strong than women and are therefore incapable of leadership because leadership in this world involves not just manual labor, but strength that stretches the limits of human capabilities (tell that to the Governor).

I hardly think that's a sexist bias of Kirkman's or anything. That's most likely how society would go if we were reduced to (essentially) tribes. Almost all of the leaders in the comics are the loudest bullies or the most threatening (including Rick). I imagine in such a hosed up future people would revert to automatically following the biggest, strongest alpha male (which they practically still do to this day). I really think that's more a case of trying to pin something horrible on an author's subtext that isn't really there.

stev fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Oct 14, 2013

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

-snip-

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Steve2911 posted:

I've not gotten far in the comics at all, but I leafed through a later volume in a bookshop today and noticed that ALL the pages had weird borders on the left and right side of the page. Is that just a thing that they consistently do after a certain point? What's the point, other than to reduce the content on the page by 25% or so?

I hardly think that's a sexist bias of Kirkman's or anything. That's most likely how society would go if we were reduced to (essentially) tribes. Almost all of the leaders in the comics are the loudest bullies or the most threatening (including Rick). I imagine in such a hosed up future people would revert to automatically following the biggest, strongest alpha male (which they practically still do to this day). I really think that's more a case of trying to pin something horrible on an author's subtext that isn't really there.

Cut it out with this :biotruths:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Al! posted:

Cut it out with this :biotruths:

People are stupid. People are even more stupid if you take away their technology, security and social structures. That's all I'm saying.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Steve2911 posted:

People are stupid. People are even more stupid if you take away their technology, security and social structures. That's all I'm saying.

Zombies are fictional, as is a complete societal breakdown. In such a hosed up future, anything can happen, because it's fictional. There's only so much the "but it's totally realistic" argument goes when you're reading a thing about dead bodies that eat people.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face
Would TWD be nearly as appealing if it didn't try to be as realistic as possible in a fictional scenario?

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Got a link to him saying this stuff?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It'd probably more appealing because it could take the effort it spends being a shitpile and put it into something like quality and good characters.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

Mr. Maltose posted:

It'd probably more appealing because it could take the effort it spends being a shitpile and put it into something like quality and good characters.

So less-realistic characters are more quality and better characters?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mr. Maltose posted:

So the series would be significantly better if one of the leaders (all horrible people) were female?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0029 posted:

Would TWD be nearly as appealing if it didn't try to be as realistic as possible in a fictional scenario?

That depends on your definition of realism. It would be "realistic" for Clem to spend the entire game curled up in the fetal position and crying before getting immediately devoured by zombies because she has no survival skills. There were any number of ways they could have done something stupid with the character of Lee being a black man living in the South, but they didn't do any of that either. At some point, story always takes precedence over realism, because reality often makes for boring stories.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 14, 2013

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

So less-realistic characters are more quality and better characters?

No. Less "What Kirkman thinks is realistic" is better quality.

Steve2911 posted:

So the series would be significantly better if one of the leaders (all horrible people) were female?

Yes, totally, thank you for the complete summation of all my complaints. If only one of those bad guys had an X chromosome, I'd be fine with The Walking Dead.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

That depends on your definition of realism. It would be "realistic" for Clem to spend the entire game curled up in the fetal position and crying before getting immediately devoured by zombies because she has no survival skills. There were any number of ways they could have done something stupid with the character of Lee being a black man living in the South, but they didn't do any of that either.

I didn't know that Clem and Lee acted out of character. In what fashions, specifically, did these two characters act non-realistically?

Mr. Maltose posted:

No. Less "What Kirkman thinks is realistic" is better quality.
Is there evidence that Kirkman's interpretation of reality in a fictional scenario is inaccurate and/or bigoted?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
You ever read a Kirkman comic?

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

Mr. Maltose posted:

You ever read a Kirkman comic?

Admittedly, no.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

I didn't know that Clem and Lee acted out of character. In what fashions, specifically, did these two characters act non-realistically?

Exactly. They were written as characters who effectively served a role in the plot. Clem is not a "realistic" child in the narrative, the traits that she has are traits that better fit the story, she's relatively calm and capable and trusting and even dependable.

In the EXACT SAME WAY that it would be no challenge at all for Kirkman to write more capable female characters and yet still have it fit the setting. Saying it wouldn't be realistic for people to flock to a female leader because everybody would flock to tough alpha male types is flawed in the exact same way that Clem flies in the face that it wouldn't be realistic for a young girl to be a dependable ally and strong character in a zombie apocalypse scenario.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Crappy Jack posted:

more capable female characters
Andrea's easily in the top 3 most capable characters throughout the series. Michonne too, but less so.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Crappy Jack posted:

Exactly. They were written as characters who effectively served a role in the plot. Clem is not a "realistic" child in the narrative, the traits that she has are traits that better fit the story, she's relatively calm and capable and trusting and even dependable.

In the EXACT SAME WAY that it would be no challenge at all for Kirkman to write more capable female characters and yet still have it fit the setting. Saying it wouldn't be realistic for people to flock to a female leader because everybody would flock to tough alpha male types is flawed in the exact same way that Clem flies in the face that it wouldn't be realistic for a young girl to be a dependable ally and strong character in a zombie apocalypse scenario.

Exactly. And people who have only been exposed to TWD through the game or even from the TV show are getting the narrative with many of Kirkman's flaws smoothed out and filled in. The TV show proceeds to create its own shitheap, but it's a different and distinct pile.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Edit: Sorry, not getting involved.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 14, 2013

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

Clem is not a "realistic" child in the narrative, the traits that she has are traits that better fit the story, she's relatively calm and capable and trusting and even dependable.

What evidence is there that Clem is not realistic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

What evidence is there that Clem is not realistic?

Every nine year old on the planet?

• Locked thread