Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Okay, so things to hopefully move the page over:

- Jane Jensen is remaking Gabriel Knight 1 for Activision. With an all new voice cast from the same team that did VA for Moebius.
- Gabriel Knight 3, god-drat, right?
- Bad CGI in FMV is actually moderately good for the time. It's just aged extremely poorly.

Oh, and after GK1, Jane Jensen wants to continue the Gabriel Knight series. We'll see how it shakes down. Also, I really need to make a Gray Matter LP at some point.

EDIT: Paging Xander77 to Operations, next page is go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

JamieTheD posted:

Okay, so things to hopefully move the page over:

- Jane Jensen is remaking Gabriel Knight 1 for Activision. With an all new voice cast from the same team that did VA for Moebius.
- Bad CGI in FMV is actually moderately good for the time. It's just aged extremely poorly.

Oh, and after GK1, Jane Jensen wants to continue the Gabriel Knight series. We'll see how it shakes down. Also, I really need to make a Gray Matter LP at some point.

EDIT: Paging Xander77 to Operations, next page is go!

So she's pulling an Al Lowe with GK? Interesting.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

JamieTheD posted:

Richard Cobbett, for one, is unimpressed:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/08/26/gabriel-knight-20th-anniversary

Then again, I can't think of a single adventure game remake that really wowed him.

Here's a remark I decided to take out of the actual LP update, as a bit irrelevant (but of course I must express every brilliant bit of commentary that crosses my mind in some form) - Cobbett is trying to make "people say that Lucasarts games were like movies, and Sierra's were like television" a thing. First of all, I'm pretty sure he's the only one to ever say that (stop trying to make fetch happen).

But second of all, Sierra had a much bigger budget, were far more innovative, (conversely) had a much bigger sequel fetish and were a lot more open to experimenting with the format, massive flops and all. Sierra is definitely the Hollywood equivalent in that relationship.

Update coming up, provided I can manage it before I have to head out.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Remaking the other gabriel knight games would be a good thing. We might get a plot that makes sense for 3 if that happens.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

ABANDONED HOMEWORLD FOR SALE, CHEAP!!!
Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.

JamieTheD posted:

Do Curries Dream of Cat-Hair Moustaches?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

For some unknown reason the dorms internet is super-slow during the evening. Hope that all the videos finally manage to upload overnight, and the update will take place in the morning.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Update Twenty-Four - The Grand Finale

This update is video heavy. Recommended watching? Everything, obviously :). But seriously, you want to watch the opera and confrontation videos, at the very least.

All the music in this update is courtesy of Sierrahelp, for which I'm duly grateful.

First of all - the aria starts up:

Did you watch the video in which Grace talks to Georg? You've probably ignored the "melon melon" crowd noise and vague instrument bleatings. A bit harder to ignore when it's the only thing you hear in the opera up until now. The aria is a welcome change.

Trying to go anywhere will have Grace bitching about not being dressed for the occasion, so we surrender to the inevitable and go get changed.

She gets dressed just in time to welcome Commissar Leber.

He came armed, just as the invitation shpezified. For *some* reason he's much more willing to cooperate with Grace than with Gabe.

We can't head into the auditorium, since extras are expensive that would disrupt the performance. Only one thing left to do then.

Grace gets ready to operate the projector when the moment comes. It's all terribly exciting:

Good thing she grabbed the opera glasses, because how else would she know whether Von Glower is in the lodge?

He is. As is the girl he hooked Gabe up with.

Grace ties the doors together. That's not quite inconspicuous enough, so she arranges the knot neatly and covers it up.

Surprise perspective shift!

Gabe is pacing back and forth in werewolfy rage. The door won't open, but Gabe really needs to get out there and mess things up.

Gabe can't just pry open the vent, but the Shattenjagger dagger doubles a screwdriver.

One way leads outside.

The other...

Leads to Gabe demonstrating his exceptional agility once more. Oh, and the basement.

There's only one way out of the basement Gabe will agree to take. The only way from here is into the actor's room. Oh, and have you spotted the one item you need to get in this scene? The one item without which you are walking dead?

It's the duct tape. The all too visible and highly obvious duct tape. Granted, Grace had to pick up the coil of rope from the same spot, but still.

Gabe makes his way into the lead actors room.

He starts to put on makeup, but reconsiders

And grabs the Englebert outfit first.

He hears that the previous opera act is over, so, all too intuitively, he uses the makeup to smudge up the mirror before hiding.

The lead actor comes in, finds absolutely nothing suspicious about this, clears out a corner of the mirror and starts applying his makeup.

Until Gabe sneaks up and duct tapes him. There's a new Englebert in town.

By the way, did you notice that our time at the opera is divided into three acts? Act three starts now:

Cue the opera.

(Would you believe that tindeck doesn't have an "opera" genre? Disgraceful.)

The opera is pretty much the centerpiece of the game, and a lot of work was obviously put into making it seem genuine(ish). Watch it / check out the lyrics (if any of the people reading this speak German, feel free to offer a transcription / translation of your own)

(It's also a 9 minute cutscene, and one errant mouseclick skips it entirely. Great for taking caps, as you'd imagine)

The evil Baron is about to marry the virtuous whatshername, and everyone are having a good time...

until Gabe emerges on stage as a spectacularly incompetent minstrel.

He's feeling a bit werewolfy down at the moment.

Von Glower isn't too comfy either.

The minstrels beat down Gabe. It's a rather powerful and uncomfortable sequence, even if you're convinced Gabe actually deserves a sound trashing.

(It's a nine minute video, so I'm abridging a bit. Assume there's a lot more singing and closeups of everyone looking nauseous in between)

The Baron accuses Englebert of being the werewolf.

The music reaches a crescendo, Grace turns on the projector, the chandelier... does its thing...

Everyone notices something is wrong.

Von Glower tries to leave, but the door is locked tied.

Everything is ready for Englebert's Gabe's transformation. Von Glower is trying to stop himself from wolfing out as well. And...

We get a wolf composed in the best CGI the 90's could afford. It's fantastic. Note how much better the opera wolf mask looks by comparison.

Von Glower doesn't transform on the spot. He leaps off the balcony and lopes down to the basement. Gabe!Wolf chases after him.

Time for the final werewolf showdown in the nondescript basement of an opera house. Huh.

This is the music that is supposed to be playing during this sequence. It's no "Wolfcam" (from the same soundtrack), but it does the job. Unfortunately, the music actually playing during the sequence (which you can listen to in the final confrontation video) is a lot more reedy and unimpressive.

This is what we get if we hit the "smell" button. Can you figure out what's going on?

This is the endgame puzzle. It's frustrating, but fair. What you need to know is: Wolf!Gabe is the blue triangle. Von Glower is the red square. We alternate between smelling to see the map and moving in the odd and unfamiliar first person view. Wolf!Gabe can close each of the doors via the convenient latches as he passes through. Our goal is to chase Von Glower down to the furnace room in the lower right corner - without letting him escape on stage / through the vent. We also don't won't him to get stuck in a dead end with Gabe between him and freedom - for some reason the Alpha wolf is perfectly happy to take down the Beta in this instance.

With all that info, obtained by repetitive trial and error in the days before gamefaqs, can you see how the solution works?

Finally, Leber, Grace and Gabe all corner Von Glower in the furnace room. Sadly, Leber will be a lot happier to shoot Gabe than he would Von Glower (which is probably something we should have planned for).

Wolf!Gabe subtly suggests that Grace should open the furnace door.

Now it's just a matter of waiting for a moment before Von Glower leaps for Grace's throat... and slamming right into him.

Grace stops Leber from shooting the fleeing Gabe!Wolf (after he already misses the first shot)

And they both head back to watch Von Glower burning merrily away.

"The stuff that gay werewolves are made of".
"Huh?"

We conclude this episode the game overlooking one of Ludwig's castles.

Gabe assures us that he's ready for any future tests, because he's done so well on this one. Grace agrees to stay forever by his side, because *duh*, even though he totally doesn't deserve it. Roll credits.

Stay tuned for ways to die and interesting side notes.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 6, 2014

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
And so ends a Gabriel Knight game. A bit odd that the rules are broken with Von Glower killing Gab in the maze puzzle.

Integral Catculus
Jul 21, 2007

hopelessly devoted

Xander77 posted:

Gabe assures us that he's ready for any future tests, because he's done so well on this one.

I've always interpreted those lines to mean that the authorities have been putting Gabriel through batteries of medical tests in the hope of figuring out the mechanism behind lycanthropy. Am I alone in this?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Integral Catculus posted:

I've always interpreted those lines to mean that the authorities have been putting Gabriel through batteries of medical tests in the hope of figuring out the mechanism behind lycanthropy. Am I alone in this?

I'm pretty sure you are - I believe this is intended to be a callback to Wolfgang's line from the first game, where he stated that every Shattenjäger takes on three significant cases in his lifetime and then dies. That's why I always figured the series would be exactly three games long.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Update updated with an epic gif of the final wolfo-a-lupo smashdown.

Probably just you.

Nidoking posted:

I'm pretty sure you are - I believe this is intended to be a callback to Wolfgang's line from the first game, where he stated that every Shattenjäger takes on three significant cases in his lifetime and then dies. That's why I always figured the series would be exactly three games long.
You'll have to quote the part where he says that, because I don't remember that happening.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Xander77 posted:

You'll have to quote the part where he says that, because I don't remember that happening.

Okay, going through the LP, I can't find any such reference. I could swear it was somewhere, but it's not in the first game (at least, the parts shown in the LP) or in the book. Maybe one of the journals in the second game or something. I swear I didn't make it up, but I can't point to where else it would have come from.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Getch'er fresh fanfic here:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

That's what I thought at first when I was a kid but I later thought back on it and realized it was a ridiculous thought. v:shobon:v

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

ABANDONED HOMEWORLD FOR SALE, CHEAP!!!
Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.
Xander, are you going to do GK3?

Cat
hair
moustache

Integral Catculus
Jul 21, 2007

hopelessly devoted

Nidoking posted:

Okay, going through the LP, I can't find any such reference.

I remembered it as Wolfgang saying that technically every Schattenjäger is just an initiate until he finishes his third case, and so he himself had never fully attained his birthright. I couldn't find the appropriate lines earlier in the LP, either, but this excerpt from Jane Jensen's Reddit AMA a couple years back would suggest that you were closer to the mark:

JaneJensen posted:

JosephAustin posted:

Hey Jane! Hope I'm not overwhelmingly quick to the punch. I don't mean to start off with a question about GK, but it's been killing me for years. Near the end of Gabriel Knight 1, Wolfgang tells Gabriel that he had 3 tasks to complete, but was not done with them. That is the last we ever heard of Schattenjagers having such a requirement, unless I misinterpreted something. Can you shed any light on that, or is that going to be a surprise at some point?

The original plan was that GK3 was his 'third task' and that in GK4, because he'd done all that was "fated", the stars are long longer watching over him and he can't do anything right. But we'll see if I stick with that plan.

However, I'm not convinced that Gabriel & Grace's conversation makes any more sense as a callback to Wolfgang than as a reference to Gabe being some doctors' pincushion. One more major case -- followed by death -- doesn't strike me as something that's going to "get easier!" And as for Gabe being subjected to medical tests post-opera being "a ridiculous thought": Leber saw a wolf go into a furnace and then a man burning inside of it, and the death of a nobleman and the involvement of his least-favorite freelance investigator wouldn't necessarily inspire him or the German government to ask fewer questions. Of course, we never really learned how the world at large viewed the aftermath of GK1, either, so maybe part of the Schattenjäger's destiny is for everything he does to get quietly swept under the rug. Hopefully we can all at least agree that there was some howlerrific writing in that ending cutscene!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Steak Flavored Gum posted:

Xander, are you going to do GK3?
Nope. It is a part of my ethos as the abandoned LP savior to finish the current installment, then ride of into the sunset in search of the next LP in need of rescue.

Seriously though, I don't have enough strong feelings one way or the other about GK3 to justify the effort.

My next LP is probably going to be either The Witcher or Jade Empire.

Or... maybe, juuuust maybe... here's a little something I got from the creator of my favorite recent adventure game:

(how do I resize these into avatars without making them look like poo poo, anyways?)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Bonus update - ways to die.

I kinda wanted to just link a video for this one... but apparently no one made a death compilation for GK2?

Here's the one I ever so expertly crafted.

Your first chance to die happens rather late into the chapter - in the actors room. Dawdle long enough, or try to exit after the intermission starts will have the actor blunder in and shout an overacted "hilfe!"

Which leads to this, for some reason.

Trying to sneak up on the actor without smudging the mirror will lead to Gabe belatedly realizing this is a poor idea after he is spotted.

Just adorable.

Trying to subdue the actor without duct tape will lead to another call for help. At least the "try again" button deposits us right outside the room.

Von Glower first tries to move for the open grate. If we don't block his path within a minute or so, Gabe will automatically smell his escape, and Leber will be along to shoot him within seconds.

Cornering Von Glower results in a fight sequence that could only be equaled by a five year old smashing two wolf puppets together, while making doggie noises. Gabe gets the worst of the exchange.

You can jump Von Glower or Leber for essentially the same shooting sequence.

Grace can also try to wrestler Leber's gun away, which doesn't work out that well. I think Leber has like half a dozen different takes on the same "glance around the room for any additional wolves hiding in the corner, then point your gun at the wolf corpse" sequence.

Last but not least - your main repeated cause of death is probably going to involve missing your leap against Von Glower (you have to jump him the moment he jumps, not before or after). Gabe... presumably throws himself into the furnace? Nasty.

Well, that was Gabriel Knight 2, the Beast Within. Thanks to Ensign Ricky for LPing it so far, and hope you've enjoyed it.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Sep 13, 2014

Integral Catculus
Jul 21, 2007

hopelessly devoted
Thanks for saving the LP, Xander! I would've sworn it was the official act of a deputized reader. Now, who wants to step up and do GK3?!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

does Ensign Ricky plan to come back to do GK3? That's the only one I have any experience with

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Nidoking posted:

Okay, going through the LP, I can't find any such reference. I could swear it was somewhere, but it's not in the first game (at least, the parts shown in the LP) or in the book. Maybe one of the journals in the second game or something. I swear I didn't make it up, but I can't point to where else it would have come from.
Jane posted a thing in anticipation of the restored edition of Gabriel Knight 1 / teasing a possible sequel:
http://www.postudios.com/blog/?p=5337

The "three quests" are mentioned right in the opening lines, so I suppose that was always a part of the Shattenjagger myth as far as the author was concerned, even if it was never explicated in the games themselves.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I think I figured it out! I had the official hint book for the second game, and there was a lot of bonus material in it. That's probably where I read about the three quests. I might still have it around, but I don't remember seeing it when I was unpacking my endless boxes of books.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Nidoking posted:

I think I figured it out! I had the official hint book for the second game, and there was a lot of bonus material in it. That's probably where I read about the three quests. I might still have it around, but I don't remember seeing it when I was unpacking my endless boxes of books.

do you mean this one?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

mateo360 posted:

do you mean this one?

Maybe... it doesn't look familiar, and I think that's a different size than the one I had. I looked for it a bit yesterday and couldn't find it, but that doesn't mean it's not still buried somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I don't remember if this was mentioned in the LP, but Ludwig's castles served as the baseline for the Disney logo, as well as the castles in several early Disney films.

Can't help but hope that the second game is LP'd by someone with some interest in architecture / Bavarian history / opera / that fucker Wagner. It deserves that much, at the very least.

• Locked thread