Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

That works, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
More information on the story of the voodoo should be helpful for the book.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

BenRGamer posted:

That works, thanks.

Ok, fixed the link in the post, thanks for letting me know. Also, enjoy the smooth rhythms of the Dixieland Drug Store.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Part 5: Do the Hippy-Hippy-Snake!

Ok, off to see Magentia!

And thank god she’s not a vital character, because this is where things get a little silly.

“Welcome, Seeker. You must be the one Dr. John called me about.”
“I guess so. My name is….”
“Wait! Gabriel Knight.”
“You’re too quick for me.”
“Actually, Dr. John told me. You have come to the right place, Mr. Knight. Tell me how I can help.”
“Dr. John tells me you’re a Voodoo practitioner of some kind.”
“Yes. I am a Voodooienne – a Voodoo priestess.”

Also, she’s very hippy-dippy. Interrogation has her drop a few pieces of information regarding animal masks that used to be worn in older times, but not really anymore because of “bad karma”. She’ll also talk at length about her snake, Grimwald, who she named after one of her spirit guides…an Egyptian priestess. :what:
Seeing a shed snake skin in Grimwald’s cage, Gabriel asks for one of her scales (ostensibly to compare to the one we found at the lake), but Magentia declines out of a fear that Gabriel could use it for gris gris against her. She talks about a couple of different kinds of gris-gris when asked, and they’re kind of fascinating in a weird way, but we need that scale. So we ask Magentia how she handles Grimwald. In response, she offers to dance with her.

Yeah, that just happened. However, while she’s distracted, Gabriel can sneak over to the cage and steal the snakeskin there. Huzzah!...except that Grimwald’s scales are brown, so they don’t match the one from the lake. Our work here complete, I think there’s a mask somewhere we should try to get.

Yep, the Dixieland Drug Store. However, just after Gabriel arrives, another customer does as well.

“Bonjour, Monsieur Walker.”
“Bienvenu, Madame Cazanoux. Comment ca va? How you be feeling today?”
“Well, I’ll tell you, Mr. Walker, I’m certain someone’s buried a Sleep Not Bag somewhere near my steps. I haven’t slept a wink in weeks.”
“Ah, don’t that beat all? Gonna need some Easy Night Candles then?”
“Do you think that would help? I do hope you’re right. I said three rosaries this morning for Our Lady’s intervention.”
“Rosaries are good, sure enough, but you burn those candles, too, and you’re gonna whip any old no sleep gris-gris, I tell you for sure.”
“Very well, Mr. Walker. Put them on my account, and send them around to my house. Oh, and there’s another thing! I didn’t catch her at it, but I know Mrs. LeFevre put Stomach Ache Powder in my tea at the last meeting of the Creole Grande Dames. I’ve been in misery!”
“You put nine pin heads up in a little box, add a pinch of graveyard dust, and put it under her front porch step. That’ll turn the trick back on Mrs. LeFevre, and she’ll be the one with the bellyache. I have the pins and the dust right here if you want them.”
“If the Blessed Virgin will grant me her protection, I’ll be safe from these practitioners of evil!”
“Oui, Madame, though it don’t hurt to be proactive none, neither, does it?”
“Naturellement, Monsieur. Merci beaucoup.”
“Mais non, Madame. It is nothing. Au revoir.”
“Au revoir, Monsieur Walker.”

I really love this scene just as a reminder that all kinds of people buy into this kind of thing. And also, the old lady is now a conversation topic if we re-interrogate Willy, but he refuses to talk about his customers. He offers us the crocodile mask near the door….for $100. Unfortunately, Willy won’t accept gift certificates from St. George’s, so we’re outta luck there.

Well, I think it’s about time to visit Malia Gedde and see what she has to say.

Nice house. Unfortunately, her butler won’t let Gabriel see her without good cause. Hrm. (Fun fact, her butler is also played by Tim Curry, but he actually gets to use his actual accent there.) Well, the next place I happen to know we need to go is back to Jackson Square Park…and one of the most ball-breakingly frustrating puzzles in the game.

The artist in the corner there is the key. We have to repeatedly talk to him, and eventually ask to watch him sketch the nearby cathedral.

Eventually, his drawing is torn loose by the wind and flies away…

And he can’t reach it inside the fence.

So we have to move down to the SW corner of the park. First we need to get a hot dog from the vendor...and pay for it using the gift certificate. Hell, he won’t even offer to serve Gabriel until we offer him the certificate.

I don’t think Gabriel understands the value of money. Anyway, the next step is to give our hot dog to the dancing kid next to the vendor.

In exchange for our $20 hot dog, Gabriel persuades the kid to retrieve the Cathedral drawing, which we return to the artist.

So what was all this for? Well, this artist is quite good. Good enough to reconstruct an image from a fragmented whole. So we give him all the drawings we have from the crime scenes, and he tells Gabriel that he’ll have it reconstructed for us tomorrow.

And with that, we’ll wrap it up for now, and next time we’ll have a nice chat with the mysterious Malia Gedde…

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Oct 14, 2013

EphemeralToast
May 30, 2013
What the hell was that hot dog puzzle. :psyduck: There was badness there, very bad.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

EphemeralToast posted:

What the hell was that hot dog puzzle. :psyduck: There was badness there, very bad.

Yeah, it's hard simply because you have no clue what the hell you need to do to get the hot dog, you have no indication that you need to give the hot dog to the kid...I mean, everything after that is gravy, but those steps are drat near impossible to figure out.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Yeah, it's hard simply because you have no clue what the hell you need to do to get the hot dog, you have no indication that you need to give the hot dog to the kid...I mean, everything after that is gravy, but those steps are drat near impossible to figure out.

I'm pretty sure if you talk to the kid he asks Gabriel for money or food. Also if you look at him, the narration indicates he's trying to get a hot dog specifically. Figuring out the hot dog vendor wants a gift certificate is harder but the game does tell you he's engrossed in a novel when you look at the vendor.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I too absolutely adore the sequence with the old lady. It's also a pretty true-to-life depiction of the lion's share of "real life" usage of Creole Voodoo--that is to say bored housewives and old ladies trying to spite each other and get their own special luck for things like lotto numbers and gossip. Even going back to the pages of Zora Neale Hurston, you find that a lot of the stuff inside the US is either that, or the "secret society" type dealings that the Laveau stuff starts going into. The Haitian Houngan-based societies are far more elaborately structured about the religion, and if you make the wrong person upset, a lot more scary.

Grimwald, meanwhile, is made up. I like to think it's hippie dippie girl's otherkin or something.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

EphemeralToast posted:

Part of it is that Lucky Dogs are kind of a thing in New Orleans, so I think Jensen felt compelled to include them. They're even (under a different name) in A Confederacy of Dunces. They're sort of a prevalent vendor. I'm just a visitor to NOLA every now and again, so I'm sure someone who lives there could tell you more.

I've had them: they're... uh... well, they're not bad, really, but not good. It's not like an NYC dirty water dog, but when you've been drinking a bunch, they're nice.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
I am learning a lot about NOLA.

And yeah, "Grimwald" is a Germanic name, so Magentia is completely full of it.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So my MacBook has utterly bricked for the moment, I can feel the drives spinning, but the monitor won't come on and no startup chime...so might not be an update for awhile. :(

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009

Ensign_Ricky posted:

So my MacBook has utterly bricked for the moment, I can feel the drives spinning, but the monitor won't come on and no startup chime...so might not be an update for awhile. :(

Confirmed, the LP curse is in fact voodoo. We need to gris-gris the servers STAT.

In the meantime, here is the Tim Curry butler scene (skip to 8:09) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cft7piNK6WA. :allears: Oh man, if gets any futher into Clue: the movie territory.....

Also that video made me understand why you muted the narrator.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

Oh dear. Well, I hope your computer starts working again soon.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
I seem to recall there used to be a "Gabriel Knight Tour of New Orleans" website where some dude went around to all the locations on the map and saw what matched up. I guess it's gone now.Too bad, although it might have been spoilery.

Also dont worry about it, the last guy who lpd this game took like 2 years.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

grandalt posted:

Oh dear. Well, I hope your computer starts working again soon.

Well, I can always do it on my tower if I have to, but fingers crossed.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Update: Yeah, laptop's toast as near as I can tell ( :sigh: ), so replaying on my tower until I get back to where we were. Should have a new post in a day or two.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Part 6: Bring Fresh Cash?? Dafuq?

Ok, where the gently caress were we? Oh yeah, we wanted to get to know Malia Gedde. And if you though the hot dog puzzle was BULLSHIT, you ain’t seen nothing yet!!

So, first, we need to hit the police station, and you can see that the thermostat is apparently being worked on.

Gabriel, being Gabriel, decides to gently caress with it because why not? The cops, being lazy, do nothing to stop us.

Yeah, let’s crank that mother! Ok, next step is to chat with Mosely.

Notice that because of the heat, he’s taken off his coat now. Now we need to ask him for a cup of joe.

“Coffee? You want coffee?”
“Should that surprise you?”
”Nah, you’ve always been a caffeine addict. It’s just that the stuff we got here hardly qualifies.”
”So, I’m desperate.”
“It’s your stomach. I’ll get you some when we’re done talkin’.”
“That long?”
“All right! I’ll go now!’

Aaand off he goes. So, being Mosely’s friend we do the logical thing and steal his loving badge.

Our hero, ladies and gentlemen! However, with the badge in hand, we can now persuade Tim Curry the butler to let us in to speak to Malia.

And here’s where things get sexy. Because what woman wouldn’t want a little Curry?:rimshot: At any rate, most of the interrogation scene goes nowhere, Malia dodging or avoiding every question until you hit the last option….”FLIRT WITH HER”:

“Excuse me, but…your eyes are really distracting. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a color quite like that brownish-gold. It’s so deep and rich. Man, if I could bottle that, I’d make a fortune.”

(Smoooooth.)

“Thank you, Detective. That’s an…interesting observation, though probably not relevant to your case.”
“A good detective never knows what might be relevant, Ms. Gedde.”
“Then you must be truly exceptional at your job. But I think this has gone on long enough. You’re not really a detective, are you?”
“Who, me? Well I am on this case, Ms. Gedde.”
“I saw you at the lake yesterday. I thought you must be with the police since you were there, but you don’t act like a police officer. Besides, I’m rather certain that the other man said his name was Mosely.”

(Bus-ted!)

“All right, you caught me. I’m not with the police. My name is Gabriel Knight. I’m a writer working with Detective Mosely on a book.”
“Well, Mr. Knight, now that we’ve established who you are, perhaps you can tell me the real reason you’re here?”
“Well, I *am* researching the book and thought you might have seen or heard something at the lake…”
“I don’t like liars, Mr. Knight.”

And with that she has Tim Curry throw Gabriel’s rear end out. And with that, I realize that I forgot to do something important back at Magentia Moonbeam’s house. Namely, that I should’ve shown her the copy we made of the Voodoo code we found on the side of Marie Laveau’s tomb. Yeah, that’s on me.

“Do these symbols mean anything to you?”
“Ah! The Voodoo code! It is very secret, yes? I studied it with my mentor, the great Queen Tabitha.”
“Really? Great! Can you tell me what it says?”
“Hmm. Let me see. Well, some of it is nonsense, I’m afraid. Whoever wrote this wasn’t very good.”
“That’s all right. Just tell me what it says.”
“It starts with a ‘D’ and ‘J’. Then…okay, this part makes sense. It says ‘conclave tonight bring’…then there’s more nonsense. ‘F’, ‘W’, ‘E’, ’T’, ’K’, ’A’, ’S’, ’H’.”

Magentia thinks whoever wrote it meant to say “fresh cash”, but that’s because she suuuuucks at this. So to conclude our day, we return to St. Georges. Grace has no messages, and Gabriel asks her to research Mme. Cazanoux. Why? Well I guess he had a hunch, but it’s one that will pay off later, never fear.

“Madame Cazanoux? Is she ‘related to the murders’ the same way your ‘friend’, Malia Gedde, was?”
“Grace! Cazanoux’s at least seventy!”
“As if that makes a difference to you. Okay, I’ll see what I can find.”

And with that, Grace and Gabriel close out the day, as I close out this update. Next time, INTRIGUING DEVELOPMENTS IN THE VOODOO MURDERS CASE!!!

Actually, not really. But don’t tell Mosely that.

EphemeralToast
May 30, 2013

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Well, I can see that YOUR imagination is considerable.

Oh yeaaahhhhhh :pervert: oh wait it wasn't a compliment :eng99:

You know, I actually don't think the thermostat puzzle is too terrible. They do draw your attention to it with the repair dude, and a thermostat only has two things you can do with it--make it hotter or colder. And we've already established that Gabriel is an unrepentant thief and liar. So it isn't too much of a stretch to fiddle with the thermostat and then see what things we can steal as a result.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

EphemeralToast posted:

You know, I actually don't think the thermostat puzzle is too terrible. They do draw your attention to it with the repair dude, and a thermostat only has two things you can do with it--make it hotter or colder. And we've already established that Gabriel is an unrepentant thief and liar. So it isn't too much of a stretch to fiddle with the thermostat and then see what things we can steal as a result.

Ok, to be fair, the pain in the rear end part is figuring out that you need to do it in the first place. I must've wasted soooo much time on my original playthrough trying to show the butler every single inventory item I had to get him to let me in before I started just wandering N'awlins in an effort to find something to do and eventually stumbled onto the solution. Still, pain in the rear end.

EphemeralToast
May 30, 2013

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Ok, to be fair, the pain in the rear end part is figuring out that you need to do it in the first place. I must've wasted soooo much time on my original playthrough trying to show the butler every single inventory item I had to get him to let me in before I started just wandering N'awlins in an effort to find something to do and eventually stumbled onto the solution. Still, pain in the rear end.

Yeah, I agree that it's frustrating not to know what item is going to make Tim Curry let Tim Curry into the house in the first place.

Dear god, did I actually just try to justify a puzzle in a Sierra game? :psyduck: madness

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

EphemeralToast posted:

Dear god, did I actually just try to justify a puzzle in a Sierra game? :psyduck: madness

To be fair, it's at least a really loving good Sierra game.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Part 7: Fun With Phones!

So Day 3 of Gabriel’s increasingly weird week begins with Grace telling Gabe that she’s got a few listings for the name Cazanoux, and then expresses disbelief that Gabriel is intent on continuing his pursuit of Malia Gedde.

“You underestimate the Knight family’s ‘Tragic Poet-Samurai’ appeal.”

I don’t think that’s an actual thing, Gabriel. Also, your family is German, so shouldn’t Grace’s family have “Tragic Poet-Samurai Appeal”? Anyway, Grace also has messages! First one’s from Mosely, who wants Gabriel to join him in interrogating a suspect. Next…

“That man from Germany called again. Wolfgang Ritter? Now he’s claiming to be a relative of yours. I took down his number. If you change your mind and want to give him a call back, just ask me for it.”

Naturally, we get the number: 4-909-324-3333. How the hell do people in Europe remember all these goddamned numbers? And finally we’ll check today’s paper because there’s always something interesting to find.

Um, spoke too soon?

Actually, this part is very interesting, and we’ll need to check out that lecture later.

“Lighten up!”
Ok, seriously Gabriel, this horoscope writer is better than the possessed fortune machine in PHANTASMAGORIA!, you may want to take their advice a little more seriously. Anyway, on to Gabriel’s personal workspace:

And as you might expect, it’s kind of a shithole. So first, I think we better knuckle under and pay some international calling charges and find out who this Wolfgang fellow is.

So I ended up recording the conversation for you all because, well, it’s too hard to transcribe the whole drat thing. Basically, Wolfgang introduces himself as Gabriel’s great-uncle, and says that Gabriel must leave New Orleans immediately because he is “in great danger”, and should come to his ancestral home of Schloss Ritter, in Rittersburg West Germany (The game is set before the Wall fell I guess). Gabriel tells him even if he wanted to go to Europe, he doesn’t have the money, but Wolfgang at least secures a promise from Gabriel that he’ll read a journal that Wolfgang is sending, then call him back.
That being done, our next task in here is to track down the correct Cazanoux!

So we’ve got 4 different entries. Well, no way around it, gotta check ‘em all! Luckily, we hit paydirt on the 3rd entry, as a little dog starts yapping in the background, and the Mme Cazanoux we met earlier was carrying a dog. However, this phonebook sucks because if you didn’t notice there are no loving addresses. So what are we to do? Well, the hint is actually right there in the phone book, let’s look at that page again:

Yep, it’s big as life right there, the solution is to call the vet on the old dame. And the lady there is thick as a loving brick too. Seriously, watch that video and try not to facepalm. Well, that done, we have a drawing to pick up. To the park!

Oh, here’s an updated map of the French Quarter. And yes, the puppy face is the Cazanoux home. :3:

So the artist is creeped out by the completed drawing, it can’t be that bad, can it?

On the other hand, it could look like something out of the Simon Necronomicon. :stare: Just checking out the rest of the park…

And things get weird, because then that lady starts dancing like a loon. After she sits down, in a matter of seconds she shouts out “Come on boys, Hoopla!” and start dancing again. Riiight. Well, I guess we should see Mosely first.

“YOU! Give me back my badge. NOW, Knight!!”
“Sure, thanks for letting me ‘borrow’ it.”

Gabriel Knight, Class Act. Anyway, Mosely is interrogating an informant who goes by the name Crash. Crash might know something, but he’s too busy trying not to pee himself out of terror to reveal it. Eventually, Mosely just sends him back to the lockup out of frustration and comments that they’ll have to let him go in 24 hours.

And with that, we’ll stop for the night, and next time we’ll see just how loving low Gabriel will stoop to talk to Mme Cazanoux. Hint: It’s probably about as low as you expect.

EphemeralToast
May 30, 2013

Ensign_Ricky posted:

next time we’ll see just how loving low Gabriel will stoop to talk to Mme Cazanoux. Hint: It’s probably about as low as you expect.

Hooray! Time for doggie dance lessons! :neckbeard:

I think when you get a phone call from some dude claiming to be your long-lost great-uncle telling you that you're the last descendant of Simon Belmont or whatever, you probably want to listen to him. Either you're a video game character and you need whatever evil-slaying family macguffin he's got for you, or he's old and crazy and probably going to die soon and leave you the family fortune. Either way, pay attention.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

EphemeralToast posted:

Hooray! Time for doggie dance lessons! :neckbeard:

I think when you get a phone call from some dude claiming to be your long-lost great-uncle telling you that you're the last descendant of Simon Belmont or whatever, you probably want to listen to him. Either you're a video game character and you need whatever evil-slaying family macguffin he's got for you, or he's old and crazy and probably going to die soon and leave you the family fortune. Either way, pay attention.

Sorta, but the beautiful thing about the writing in this game is that Southern Tim Curry here has never properly tangled with anything a Belmont style family would deal with, and so he deals with it as Southern Tim Curry would anything else that requires effort and money. I will say this: As much as it sometimes gets bullshit, Gabriel Knight is possibly the best written Sierra adventure game, and one of the best written adventure games of the time period.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Part 8: Casa Des Cazanoux

So, we need to talk to the old bat. I suppose we could just go to her house, right?

Oh yeah, any of those options would work, wouldn’t they?? Well, might as well take the direct route and admit that Gabriel’s writing about Voodoo…

And there’s our hint as to how to get in, and we’re very lucky that Cazanoux is nearly blind. Because now we have to go to Church.

Welcome to beautiful St. Louis Cathedral, or more specifically, The Cathedral-Basilica of Saint Louis, King of France, a very real landmark in NOLA, and is in fact the oldest Catholic cathedral in regular use in the USA. And, the designers did a loving fantastic job in rendering it too:

Well, for shits and giggles, first let’s visit the confessionals. Just because.

Oh yeah, we gotta hear this.

“I’ve had a lot of women, Father.”
“A lot? More than ten?”
“Yes, Father.”
“More than twenty?”
“Yes, Father.”
“…More than…forty??”
“Yes, Father.”
“…Son, I don’t think this is a matter for a priest. I think you need a good therapist.”
:sigh: Yes, Father.”

Ok, that was pretty awesome. Ok, on to the main event.

That door on the far right? That’s our target. Why, you ask?

Oh, it just happens to be where they keep all the clerical garb. Yeah. We’re stealing a priest’s clothes.

“I can’t resist black.”

OUR HERO!!! Big hand of applause ladies and gentlemen!! Oh, and we can check out the mirror for one other hint:

“I love my hair.”
Indicating that we need to go back to St. Georges and get a jar of hair gel from Gabriel’s bathroom. Back to Casa des Cazanoux!

So once there, we put on the priest outfit…

“All right, but this is private.”

And that being done, we now slick back Gabriel’s hair…

“The things I do for my art…”

And Voila! But there’s still something missing, although it’s not in our control. Do you want to guess what it is? Take a minute to think about it, then check the following spoiler:

IRISH-CAJUN TIM CURRY!!!
Oh yes, Gabriel adopts an Irish accent that would make the Lucky Charms Leprechaun blush in shame. The Leprechaun from Leprechaun In The Hood thinks he should tone it down. But enough of that, let’s Interrogate the old bat!

And she is a loony one. Over the course of the interrogation, we learn that evil people can send snakes to attack people in their dreams…so she doesn’t sleep anymore. There are one or two interesting tidbits though…

“What can you tell me about St. John’s Eve?”
“St. John’s Eve! Mais oui! I used to love the St. John’s Eve mass at St. Louis Cathedral! Of course, it is also a night of great wickedness…worse than All Hallow’s Eve! They will corrupt anything, Father!”

She also intimates that she knows something about cabrit sans cor’ but refuses to say anything about it unless we know what it means. Also, she seems to more about Marie Laveau, but won't tell us, presumably not until we can tell her what cabrit sans cor' means. Cockteasing bitch.

Well that’s all we can do with her for now, so join us next time as Gabriel Goes To School!

WendyO
Dec 2, 2007

Ensign_Ricky posted:

On the other hand, it could look like something out of the Simon Necronomicon. :stare: Just checking out the rest of the park…

Looks like a veve. It's more of a haitian vodou thing, but basically like setting out a welcome mat for the loa by tracing it on the ground in corn meal.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

WendyO posted:

Looks like a veve. It's more of a haitian vodou thing, but basically like setting out a welcome mat for the loa by tracing it on the ground in corn meal.

Dude, spoilers.

EphemeralToast
May 30, 2013
Southern Lucky Charms Tim Curry vs. Batshit Racist Lady Poirot. I'm not sure how this LP can get any better.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

EphemeralToast posted:

Southern Lucky Charms Tim Curry vs. Batshit Racist Lady Poirot. I'm not sure how this LP can get any better.

You forgot Reggae Worf. This game reached perfection.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gabriel Knight is pretty much the best game Sierra ever made, yes.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Part 9: Lesson Time!

So at this point, we kind of really need to know what the gently caress cabrit sans cor’ means; Not only because we’re not getting anywhere with Cazanoux without it, and also in my original playthrough it was driving me loving batty. So if she won’t tell us, Dr. John won’t tell us, and Willy at the Voodoo store won’t tell us….I guess that means it’s lecture time!

So here we are at the University, and I’m not going to transcribe the entire thing, but I do HIGHLY recommend that you watch the video because it’s really quite fascinating.
To sum up: Voodoo/Voudoun involves the worship of spirits called Loa who can be drat near anything from ancestors to the Virgin Mary. Some of them include Papa Nebo or Gede “the lord of death” (Gee I wonder if there’s any connection???), and Ogoun Badagris “The lord of destruction”. Voudoun temples are called hounfours, with a matriarchal priestess called the mamaloa. The hounfour has a ritual circle called a veve (glares at WendyO), which differs from tribe to tribe, as each veve indicates the tribes’ Loa.

:ughh:Did I mention that Magentia loving sucks at her “job”??

At any rate, Gabriel falls asleep during the lecture and has a dream about the sekey madoule, and is woken up by the end of the lecture. That being done, we better talk to this egghead Arcade Gannon Professor Hartridge.

“Are you a student?”
“No. My name is Knight. Gabriel Knight.”
(It actually just occurred to me that he always introduces himself in James Bond fashion. Come to think of it, why the gently caress hasn’t Tim Curry been a Bond villain yet???)
“Well, you have walked into my private office, Mr. Knight. I hope you have something worthwhile to do here. If you figure it out, let me know.”
“Your lecture was terrific.”
“Oh, you think so? You were snoring so loud, I didn’t think you’d heard it.”

Burned. But yeah, that one’s on you, Gabriel. Anyway, interrogating Hartridge finally answers the question that’s been haunting us for awhile now:

“Do you have any idea what cabrit sans cor’ means?”
Cabrit sans cor’? Yes, I do. It’s a Haitian term, I believe. It’s French, and literally translates as ‘goat without horns’.”
“As in a female goat?”
“No. As in a human sacrifice. Sacrifices in Voudoun are usually of the animal variety…chickens, bulls, goats…but if the gods demand a ‘goat without horns’, it means a human being.”

:stare: Okay, we’re officially into creepy loving territory now, and I’d kind of like to know how the old bat is aware of human loving sacrifice. Also, now accepting bets that the Loa involved in the Voodoo Murders is Kali, meaning that the killers have betrayed Shiva. But wait, there’s more! We can show Hartridge the completed pattern…

“Can you tell me anything about this pattern?”
“Wow. Interesting…VERY interesting! Mind if I copy this?”
“Be my guest.”
“Here you go. You know, this is a fascinating veve! You must tell me all about its origin!”
“Uh, actually, I was hoping YOU’D tell me. Can you figure out anything about it from the symbols?”
“Well, some. That’s why I wanted a copy: I want to research the design myself. Each of the symbols in the veve represent something…a Loa, a place…Where did you get this?”
“Have you heard of the Voodoo Murders?”
“No! You’re kidding! Really?! Then the Voodoo IS authentic! The newspapers are wrong…boy, are they wrong!”
“You think this…veve…is authentic then?”
“Authentic? Mr. Knight, that’s like asking if the Mona Lisa is a painting! Tell you what…I’ll look into these symbols myself and see what I can learn about the sect that made this. I’ll give you a call when I have more information.”

And with that, we have two mysteries solved. Back to Cazanoux! Now she tells us more about what she knows, specifically that Marie Laveau was apparently the fall gal for the real Voodoo Queen of New Orleans…who is apparently still in power, and has been for over 200 years now. Could be that she’s still just talking crazy, but you never know….
Cazanoux also shows Gabriel a bracelet handed down through her family that is supposed to mark the wearer as permitted entrance to the Voodoo Queen’s secret hounfour, and asks him to bless it for her. Which leads to….this:

“Bless this bracelet of a snake, even though its vibes aren’t great. Let it do nobody harm, when they wear it on their arm. Voodoo spirits go away, don’t come back another day. And now, let us pray.”

:stare: I’d like to believe Tim Curry came up with that on his own. Now that we have the bracelet in our hot little hands, we can’t steal it…but remember way back when at Lake Pontchartrain, when we got some clay from the riverbank? Gabriel quickly makes an impression of the bracelet in the clay and continues with his….blessing:

“Bless, oh, bless, this circlet of silver! Take the curse, oh, take it…Wilbur!”
( :stare: :doh: )
“*sniff* A lovely blessing, mon pere!”
( :what: )
“Yes, I think it made a lasting impression. Here you go!”

Oh lordy, loo. Anyway, we’ll wrap it up for now, and next time, we’ll see what we need to do to get a replica of the drat thing made.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Wow, discussion sure died down in the wake of my forced hiatus...:(

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Sorry, I really don't have anything to say that's not redundant in this LP. I love the game completely though, if it's any consolation.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Tim Curry is absolutely horrible in this. He's not doing a Cajun accent, or an impression of a Cajun accent or a parody - it's an impression of a parody of someone doing a Cajun accent. It's all over the top, smarmy in the weirdest way and just... ugh.

The guy in GK2 is actually far better at doing the voice. If only he stopped eating his own face all the time.

EphemeralToast
May 30, 2013

Xander77 posted:

Tim Curry is absolutely delightful in this. He's not doing a Cajun accent, or an impression of a Cajun accent or a parody - it's an impression of a parody of someone doing a Cajun accent. It's all over the top, smarmy in the best possible way and just... perfect.

Fixed! :v:

I actually don't think he even sounds Cajun at all, just generic Southern.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Tim Curry hamming it up is always a good thing, pal. :colbert:

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

Sorry, just a bit distracted. Its a bit fun hearing Tim Curry try so many accents at once.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
FYI, the game is set in 1993, the Berlin Wall fell in 1989. Could be he's using West Germany as just a direction, or maybe the game was written when people were still thinking about Germany in terms of east and west.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Xander77 posted:

The guy in GK2 is actually far better at doing the voice. If only he stopped eating his own face all the time.

Oddly, I played GK2 first and then only got the floppy version of GK1, so for me the definitive Gabriel Knight voice really is the second guy.

"That's me. Gabriel Knight."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Dude, spoilers.

Is it spoiler if a poster recognizes a thing before the game acknowledges what it is? I think it's more like a testament to its accuracy.

Verbose posted:

FYI, the game is set in 1993, the Berlin Wall fell in 1989. Could be he's using West Germany as just a direction, or maybe the game was written when people were still thinking about Germany in terms of east and west.
Well, the West-East divide is very much alive even today.

neongrey posted:

Oddly, I played GK2 first and then only got the floppy version of GK1, so for me the definitive Gabriel Knight voice really is the second guy.

"That's me. Gabriel Knight."
Hm, I always found Dean Erikson to be too un-charismatic for the role. Compared to Tim Curry's endearing enthusiasm, Erikson always felt half-asleep to me. Then again, I actually think the GK1 narrator was a really nice touch, so maybe I'm just a bad judge of voice acting.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Nov 7, 2013

• Locked thread