Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Yeah, this game really does sell itself, but you're doin' a good job on it, so relax! I think part of what sells it is Grace's relationship with Gabriel. That, and the drat good VA from most of the parties involved...

:allears: Michael Dorn :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

EphemeralToast posted:

Hooray! Time for doggie dance lessons! :neckbeard:

I think when you get a phone call from some dude claiming to be your long-lost great-uncle telling you that you're the last descendant of Simon Belmont or whatever, you probably want to listen to him. Either you're a video game character and you need whatever evil-slaying family macguffin he's got for you, or he's old and crazy and probably going to die soon and leave you the family fortune. Either way, pay attention.

Sorta, but the beautiful thing about the writing in this game is that Southern Tim Curry here has never properly tangled with anything a Belmont style family would deal with, and so he deals with it as Southern Tim Curry would anything else that requires effort and money. I will say this: As much as it sometimes gets bullshit, Gabriel Knight is possibly the best written Sierra adventure game, and one of the best written adventure games of the time period.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Hrm, voodoo cult, creepy guy looking in, the case has been closed... Why do I get the distinct feeling poor Gabe is gonna be in for some Fun in the Dwarf-Fortress sense pretty soon?

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

And this is why I love the old sprite adventure games, especially some of the later stuff... Cutscenes had to be relatively brief and punchy, and Gabriel Knight's artist/team did a lot of good work in this game.

The useful word for this game, art direction wise? Chiaroscuro. Basically, I'm saying the game's artist(s) really knew their stuff.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Good god. Dean Erickson was... both Eric and... the Waiter in Frasier. Admittedly, for four episodes, but hey, my opinion of the man went up. Slightly.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Keep in mind, with many of these CD based adventures, they usually earmarked an entire disc for extras of various kinds, or that one reaaally FMV heavy bit... And sometimes, five of the CDs were full up, and the sixth... Ending credits and some little post game bollocks, 34MB used. Also, they often made one CD the install one. Never got the original GK2, but 3/4 makes perfect sense to me with 6 discs.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Ghostwoods posted:

I'm hoping we get to drop that chandelier on his head.

That would be suitably operatic. But of course, the important questions have to be answered first:

1) Is it silver?
2) Does it have convenient pointy bits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Okay, so things to hopefully move the page over:

- Jane Jensen is remaking Gabriel Knight 1 for Activision. With an all new voice cast from the same team that did VA for Moebius.
- Gabriel Knight 3, god-drat, right?
- Bad CGI in FMV is actually moderately good for the time. It's just aged extremely poorly.

Oh, and after GK1, Jane Jensen wants to continue the Gabriel Knight series. We'll see how it shakes down. Also, I really need to make a Gray Matter LP at some point.

EDIT: Paging Xander77 to Operations, next page is go!

• Locked thread