Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

^^^^Well, gently caress.

Slowbeef posted:

The weird thing is he actually messaged baldurk.

Ah, that's right, because the average person has no idea baldurk and anyone else involved with Let's Plays could possibly be a different person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.

Lazyfire posted:

Ah, that's right, because the average person has no idea baldurk and anyone else involved with Let's Plays could possibly be a different person.

I have honest to god received emails that only make sense if the person thinks I wrote every single LP on the archive.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Strange Quark posted:

You might want to take that with a grain of salt.

Okay yeah, more googling says that some sketchy internet detective work went on to dig that up. Only linked it because I'm a moron who thought "CNN? Must be legit!"

For content, Yogscast are pretty cool I suppose.

Beartaco fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 11, 2013

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

baldurk posted:

I have honest to god received emails that only make sense if the person thinks I wrote every single LP on the archive.

Obviously this "Something Awful" person is a LPer on the scale of Pewdiepie or DarkSydePhil

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Law posted:

Okay yeah, more googling says that some sketchy internet detective work went on to dig that up.

Even if it is legit, while skeevy, it may be legal in his state. 16 is the age of consent in quite a few places even in the US.

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Obviously this "Something Awful" person is a LPer on the scale of Pewdiepie or DarkSydePhil

I'm still trying to figure out who this "Internet" guy is. I think he's related to Mr. Microsoft.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 11, 2013

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Jsor posted:

Even if it is legit, while skeevy, it may be legal in his state. 16 is the age of consent in quite a few places even in the US.

There is still usually a specific part that says the older person has to be within 5 years or so of the consenting party.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Out of curiosity, how's this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZH91l_o_Pk

I've watched a few of his Close Combat videos and he seems pretty good. Maybe it's the lack of similar videos, but he seems to play well, doesn't use a face-cam, sounds enthusiastic about the game. I haven't watched too many Youtube LPs for comparison, though, so maybe he's actually not as good as I think.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

baldurk posted:

The LP Archive is a strange and wonderful place where I can see stuff I missed and people can assume that everything is the collected works of a single person with some form of multiple personality disorder.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

So, Jesse Cox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRsyfuchSC8
http://www.youtube.com/user/OMFGcata

I like Jesse because he fucks up a lot, and has fun doing it.

Jesse was actually Retsupuraed at one point, having made a very repetitive, unfunny video of I Wanna Be The Guy. However, I think this is kind of an unfair look at him. That video portrayed him as obnoxious, uncreative and more than a little dumb - and I agree with the third point - but he's not a scumbag. Jesse has no "persona," not really, since most of his videos are just him being himself. He doesn't use scarecams (anymore), he doesn't beg for subscribers, and he doesn't really demand anything from his fans. Jesse's just an earnest, inherently funny person to watch, and his blind playthroughs of new games are pretty good.

Jesse does have a few weak points - he tends to jump early onto new releases, but he gets through them fairly quickly and cuts out things that viewers might not want to see. He has a compulsion to collect/observe absolutely everything in a game, and this can often hang him up and make videos last longer than they should (his Deus Ex playthrough is INSUFFERABLE because of this). However, his on-the-spot reactions to unpredictable things are often hilarious and make up for his poor sense of quality control.

But then, I am known for my terrible taste in media, so maybe I'm just talking out of my rear end.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Law posted:

For content, Yogscast are pretty cool I suppose.
Aren't they all goons though?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Slowbeef's internet best friend TotalBiscuit did/does a Terraria series with Jesse. From that I learned that Jesse relies on complete randomness to be funny, which really doesn't work for me personally.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

John Liver posted:

Jesse does have a few weak points - he tends to jump early onto new releases, but he gets through them fairly quickly and cuts out things that viewers might not want to see. He has a compulsion to collect/observe absolutely everything in a game, and this can often hang him up and make videos last longer than they should

I'd actually disagree about the new releases thing. Sometimes he does, but other times he's explicitly not hurried to play popular games because he wants to finish up other series. I get the impression it really depends on how excited he is to play the game. That said, even though I occasionally watch a video from him the collection thing you mentioned really kills my long term interest. I can't watch 65 parts of what should be a 30 part LP. (But if I'm going to watch part of a blind LP I'd still pick him over a lot of other people)

unfair fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 11, 2013

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Do many of these people make a living from doing LPs? Or is it only possible if you're one of the super popular ones like PDP?

Making a living from YouTube is just the weirdest thing to me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Slowbeef posted:

Do custom thumbnails actually... do anything for anyone? I don't ever really regard them when I go to watch videos - I usually find what I'm looking for via search and the title.

I personally think they make a video series look neat and professional, for example Chip and Ironicus videos look pretty great with their per-series thumbnails and title cards.

But if it's the stereotypical scarecam shot superimposed over a screen from the game and goofy-rear end font in primary colours then yeah, it does nothing for me.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

John Liver posted:

Jesse was actually Retsupuraed at one point, having made a very repetitive, unfunny video of I Wanna Be The Guy. However, I think this is kind of an unfair look at him. That video portrayed him as obnoxious, uncreative and more than a little dumb - and I agree with the third point - but he's not a scumbag.

For the record, I don't think Jesse's video was intended to paint him as a scumbag.

We actually talked awhile after the fact - he thought our video was funny, but didn't like the fact that a few RP people went after him (like fans of ours flooding his video with comments). So I apologized for that, and it's one of the reasons we've mentioned a few times that we don't want people harassing other channels, videos, etc. (Also part of the reason we don't do standard Retsupurae videos as frequently as we used to.)

At any rate, he's a nice guy, and I didn't find anything so outrageously bad about him save for that Yakov Smirnov joke. (that's a joke btw) When I did the video, I'd had no idea who it was, or if he was popular or anything - it was kind of a funny idea that materialized in my head and went where it did.

Lazyfire posted:

Slowbeef's internet best friend TotalBiscuit did/does a Terraria series with Jesse. From that I learned that Jesse relies on complete randomness to be funny, which really doesn't work for me personally.

They do a bunch together, including Biscuit's podcast. I think they're friends in real life to some degree.

Cox's stuff probably wouldn't fly here, though I've been wrong about that before. He's what I'd call "high energy," and mostly relies on his personality to carry the video. I like more of a "highlight-the-game" type of LP. That said, he doesn't scream in your ear 24/7 or regurgitate nonsense catchphrases. I watched him play Dead Space 3 with Dodger, and that seemed like a fun "fuckaround" style of LP. Again, not really my thing, but I can see why people dig it.

If you want to see for yourself, his channel is inexplicably named omfgcata as in http://www.youtube.com/user/omfgcata

Help Im Alive posted:

Do many of these people make a living from doing LPs? Or is it only possible if you're one of the super popular ones like PDP?

Well, as I understand it, PDP is in a league of his own. No one (meaning LPers or video game shows) even comes close to touching his numbers.

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 11, 2013

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I think you'd need a minimum of 500k-1mil views per month to live off it, so it's really a very small percentage of people who do. (Although SocialBlade claims Jesse is #728 in views, and he's at 5mil per month, so that small percentage is probably a couple thousand people).

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

unfair posted:

I think you'd need a minimum of 500k-1mil views per month to live off it, so it's really a very small percentage of people who do. (Although SocialBlade claims Jesse is #728 in views, and he's at 5mil per month, so that small percentage is probably a couple thousand people).

Two Best Freinds Play allegedly quit their jobs to live off of their Lets Play dollars and they've only got some 370,000 subscribers. I think. I'm not sure if they're some special case or if who you partner with really matters when you take into account living off of lets play.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Two Best Freinds Play allegedly quit their jobs to live off of their Lets Play dollars and they've only got some 370,000 subscribers. I think. I'm not sure if they're some special case or if who you partner with really matters when you take into account living off of lets play.

Views are what matter for money though - subscribers are mostly irrelevant (though normally channels get around 10-20% of their subscribers watching each video, the rest comes from search traffic and viral factors)

Edit: Yeah it looks like they're at 5.7 million views per month right now.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
So I have a bit of a pretty uncommon perspective on the whole networks and youtube money bullshit.

In my teens, well before I joined SA and had any semblance of "taste" when it came to making or watching video game videos, I was making lovely Call of Duty videos and was approached pretty much the week Machinima launched their Directors program. I was one of the first few they rolled up. The general idea was that I would send them videos regularly for their channel and I'd get paid a cut of the ad rev from it, this later evolved to Network Partnerships once YouTube launched that with a chance for "everyone" to get one and from that point I was making enough to call it a living. That is to say, if I wasn't 17-18 and living with my parents, I could maintain rent and amenities pretty comfortably. I made and vaguely maintain friendships with some guys who are doing ridiculously well now and surprisingly a couple of them are really down to earth and nothing like their YouTube personas. A couple of years ago I left Machinima when all of the shady aspects of their contract started to get kicked up publically.

It took me a solid week of skype calls, emails, complaints and "threats" to get out of my contract. They would not let me go until I basically lied to them and told them I breeched their contract (I think I said I signed a contract with a new network, which I had been planning to do, I just had to sign it and fax it, but hadn't gone through with yet). Eventually after basically pleading for an hour to get out on the last day of the week, they let me out. I moved to IGN who were cool but paid lovely. After leaving IGN I realized "YouTube money" was a loving waste of time so I just partnered up with a very open and creator friendly network called Curse who have their contracts 100% available online and fully transparent. I now don't even concern my self with my old poo poo, nor my "current" partnership.

I joined SA a few months ago and the site quickly made me realize the error in my ways. That said, I wouldn't go back and change it. Earning £600-1000 a month as an 18 year old? gently caress yeah. That was when YouTube was at it's peak for relatively fresh gaming content and it wasn't the homogenized pile of poo poo that it is now.

Hi, I'm Sundowner and I'm an ex-YouTube Star(not really).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sundowner posted:

So I have a bit of a pretty uncommon perspective on the whole networks and youtube money bullshit.

In my teens, well before I joined SA and had any semblance of "taste" when it came to making or watching video game videos, I was making lovely Call of Duty videos and was approached pretty much the week Machinima launched their Directors program. I was one of the first few they rolled up. The general idea was that I would send them videos regularly for their channel and I'd get paid a cut of the ad rev from it, this later evolved to Network Partnerships once YouTube launched that with a chance for "everyone" to get one and from that point I was making enough to call it a living. That is to say, if I wasn't 17-18 and living with my parents, I could maintain rent and amenities pretty comfortably. I made and vaguely maintain friendships with some guys who are doing ridiculously well now and surprisingly a couple of them are really down to earth and nothing like their YouTube personas. A couple of years ago I left Machinima when all of the shady aspects of their contract started to get kicked up publically.

It took me a solid week of skype calls, emails, complaints and "threats" to get out of my contract. They would not let me go until I basically lied to them and told them I breeched their contract (I think I said I signed a contract with a new network, which I had been planning to do, I just had to sign it and fax it, but hadn't gone through with yet). Eventually after basically pleading for an hour to get out on the last day of the week, they let me out. I moved to IGN who were cool but paid lovely. After leaving IGN I realized "YouTube money" was a loving waste of time so I just partnered up with a very open and creator friendly network called Curse who have their contracts 100% available online and fully transparent. I now don't even concern my self with my old poo poo, nor my "current" partnership.

I joined SA a few months ago and the site quickly made me realize the error in my ways. That said, I wouldn't go back and change it. Earning £600-1000 a month as an 18 year old? gently caress yeah. That was when YouTube was at it's peak for relatively fresh gaming content and it wasn't the homogenized pile of poo poo that it is now.

Hi, I'm Sundowner and I'm an ex-YouTube Star(not really).

I know of Curse as the folks who run the minecraft forums and seem to do a bunch of stuff for MMOs too.

I'm pleased to hear they're an agreeable lot, I was initially a bit offput when they took over minecraft's community side.

Fascinating story, anyway, though I'm not sure what put you off doing it? That's fairly good money, was it just you got sick of the amount of crap that gets uploaded to youtube or something? If you don't mind me asking, that is.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Help Im Alive posted:

PDP has made something like a million dollars off YouTube. From what I understand, people with smaller subscriber and view counts can make a reasonable living off YouTube, but if you are working a mid tier desk job you are probably making more than the average full time YouTube person and you get benefits that they would have to pay for (in the US anyways. Thanks, Obama etc.).

WoodysGamerTag is one of those high level guys who quit his job in IT to do games full time. He's probably best known outside of the Call of Duty community for Livestreaming his family watching Netflix. Within the Call of Duty community where he started he's best known for "Mailbag Mondays" where he gives increasingly terrible advice to people with real problems. It isn't a joke, he thinks he is helping.

The more interesting thing is that every now and again you get people who just get so popular they assume that they'll never fall, like WingsOfRedemption. He was/is a Call of Duty player who charged fans to get into games with him and for slots on his XboxLive friends list. He was an early partner with Machinima and made decent enough money he bought a double wide and a truck that was promptly stolen (no, not making that up).

A few months ago he decided to break from Machinima and found another partner network that promptly fired him because he is rapidly bleeding subs and getting fewer and fewer views. Now he alternates between Let's Play videos and updates about how bad his life is and how he is basically radioactive to YouTube networks and makes so little that he is losing money by playing video games for a living.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

OwlFancier posted:

I know of Curse as the folks who run the minecraft forums and seem to do a bunch of stuff for MMOs too.

I'm pleased to hear they're an agreeable lot, I was initially a bit offput when they took over minecraft's community side.

Fascinating story, anyway, though I'm not sure what put you off doing it? That's fairly good money, was it just you got sick of the amount of crap that gets uploaded to youtube or something? If you don't mind me asking, that is.

Eh, I "quit" for a half a year at first due to disinterest and focusing on college (in hindsight I was being angsty, I think) and then came back to a real YouTube partnership, a year later views started to dwindle for me and a lot of people I knew and over the years I just fell to obscurity, maintaining a small viewership which was fine but ultimately I wasn't in control of my income what so ever and the bigger other channels got, the less time and money networks had for smaller channels. At it's peak I had 50,000 subscribers and good percentage of that as regular views but it was clear I was on a downhill slope in terms of subscriber retention probably 2 years ago now.

It was a cool thing while it lasted but I ultimately grew kinda bitter about it (not any more) and put it behind me. A couple of cool old viewers have stuck with me, which is nice but it's not even remotely within my interests to do it again. LP is a good hobby and pass time, it was not a fun job in the end. I'm sure it is for my friends who have broken 1 million subscribers, though! :v:

Lazyfire posted:

WoodysGamerTag + WingsOfRedemption.

Both Grade A assholes. I had the displeasure of being around Wings a few times in the Call of Duty commentary video hayday. Woody is on another level, he's a total oval office. Wings has done what you described since day one and I'm surprised he even built as large an audience as he once had but then again there were so few guys doing it and such hype around COD commentary that everyone gained subscribers for doing it, no matter how lovely and reprehensible some of the people were.

I mean maybe I'm an rear end in a top hat too but I'd like to believe otherwise. I never did get sucked in to the meta game of subznviewznsubznviewz.

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 11, 2013

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Sundowner posted:

His "descriptions" are "astounding"...

Looks like someone doesn't understand how search tags work.

baldurk posted:

If you still have one of them lying around, this would be a great place to show it off.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sundowner posted:

Eh, I "quit" for a half a year at first due to disinterest and focusing on college (in hindsight I was being angsty, I think) and then came back to a real YouTube partnership, a year later views started to dwindle for me and a lot of people I knew and over the years I just fell to obscurity, maintaining a small viewership which was fine but ultimately I wasn't in control of my income what so ever and the bigger other channels got, the less time and money networks had for smaller channels. At it's peak I had 50,000 subscribers and good percentage of that as regular views but it was clear I was on a downhill slope in terms of subscriber retention probably 2 years ago now.

It was a cool thing while it lasted but I ultimately grew kinda bitter about it (not any more) and put it behind me. A couple of cool old viewers have stuck with me, which is nice but it's not even remotely within my interests to do it again. LP is a good hobby and pass time, it was not a fun job in the end. I'm sure it is for my friends who have broken 1 million subscribers, though! :v:

I was thinking it sounds like a bit of a rockstar lifestyle, in a way, as in you can make it big but probably won't and it'll all go downhill soon enough. Not the sort of thing I think I could handle certainly.

It's weird because apart from the yogscast, all the people I watch LPs from are doing it on a fairly small scale, it's weird that the LP industry (jesus christ that shouldn't be a phrase that has meaning) is big enough not only to support celebrities, but also networks built around the videos and the business of monetizing them.

Slightly scary, really, thinking about it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well if you think about it some people make money crooning horrible, offensive schlock into the public ear. Always have always will. PDP is just some of the first to do it in a shrill, annoying voice punctuated by rape jokes every odd second.

See Glenn Beck and other radio personalities.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Sp00ky of Team Sp00ky's fame - the biggest fighting game streamer around - made a couple of LPs some time ago, and they were quite nice. Here's the playlist for his Zelda II playthrough. It helps that he was pretty good at the games he picked, and that the dude is one of the chillest human beings on Earth (as long as you don't touch his stream equipment). He's not really a LPer (he did those during a "break") tho. Which, to be honest, probably helped things.

And using that as a segue, I like it much better when YT LPers play games they actually KNOW than the streak of random blind bullshit most of them do. Before Two Best Friends became full-fledged LPers (instead of just doing the gimmicky videos), they did a Resident Evil 2 series that was well-played and had good information about the game/series, even if it was still personality-type commentary. That's the type of stuff I don't mind from YT-style LPs, even if it's mediocre it's miles better than face-cam and stumbling thru a new game you're bad at. But I guess when you're trying to make Youtube Yens, you need to play new releases to capitalize on the hype. Still, at least keep it on the genres you're decent at. Don't pull a DSP is what I'm saying.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Dias posted:

Don't pull a DSP is what I'm saying.

I think Phil is ... you know I've ragged on him a lot, so lemme temper that.

I don't think he's doing it for that reason, per se. He just doesn't seem to get certain things. He asks "why aren't people watching subsequent videos of my series?" and even I can tell you it's because views always drop off after video 1, almost as a rule. Even our more popular stuff (Darkseed 2, for example) - the first video always does way better than the others.

So, while he probably wants his views and subs to go higher, I don't think he has a firm grasp on how to do that. He probably knows on some level GTA5 will bring him more views, but I don't know that he does it for that sake specifically. You'd also think he'd realize "don't be a dick to your fans" would go a long way too.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!

Help Im Alive posted:

Rooster Teeth has been doing it for years now. Granted they do a lot of videos that aren't just let's plays, but within the past year or so I think their Achievement Hunter/LP stuff has grown to be one of the biggest, if not the biggest, part of the company.

TotalBiscuit
Sep 17, 2007

Lazyfire posted:

I still have no idea why people watch this, but it's the only series I do where the primary demographic is 13-17 year olds. Everything else on the channel is 25-34 primary, followed by 18-24. It's also one of those games that has no story of its own so it's only really watchable if the people playing it are making something entertaining out of it.

It's still awful and I feel bad for starting it, but a lot of people like it and really wanted it to come back so, hey.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Wind God Sety posted:

Rooster Teeth has been doing it for years now. Granted they do a lot of videos that aren't just let's plays, but within the past year or so I think their Achievement Hunter/LP stuff has grown to be one of the biggest, if not the biggest, part of the company.

Yeah, they've leaned heavily into the personality side of it. They do weekly games in Minecraft, building up new areas and playing games in them, and play multiplayer in a different couple games every week. There's the right blend of content consistency and content variety.

It works in part because they make no pretense about showing off the game or anything like that-- it's basically a comedy show played out over video games. Also, the fact that they scored the username "LetsPlay" probably helped.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TotalBiscuit posted:

I still have no idea why people watch this, but it's the only series I do where the primary demographic is 13-17 year olds. Everything else on the channel is 25-34 primary, followed by 18-24. It's also one of those games that has no story of its own so it's only really watchable if the people playing it are making something entertaining out of it.

It's still awful and I feel bad for starting it, but a lot of people like it and really wanted it to come back so, hey.

I personally didn't enjoy it so much (but then, jesse's style grates on me a little bit sometimes) but if I had to guess, it's because some folks maybe really, really enjoy that kind of LP.

For me it's subjective, I like some of the yogscast minecraft stuff, and they only have what story they choose to put in it (and they usually choose some sort of goal for the series) but just watching people dick about in a game with no goal doesn't really do it for me.

It is a bit of a mystery, but I do think it probably has something to do with people just enjoying watching other people dick about and seeing what wacky antics they'll get up to in the videos. That would explain possibly some of the viewership that scarecam LPers get, you don't watch it to see the game, you watch it for the people playing it and their response to what happens.

For me I need a bit of the game in there at least, so I like stuff where the LPer sets a goal, or even if they're constantly riffing on the game because it's bad. Energy and personality can really enhance an LP (Kaz, medibot, and KFJ all did a FF13 LP which I really enjoyed because they work well together) but if you aren't going to include the game as anthing more than a pretense for watching the person, I don't see a lot of point.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

TotalBiscuit posted:

Well, skewing younger never hurt anyone on YouTube. I've watched a fair amount of the first series and only made it two episodes in when it returned. Jesse is just not the kind of YouTube person my fiancee or I really watch any of so we pretty quickly lose interest in what's happening.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Yeah, both my little brother (just entering college) and my neighbour (a lurker goon who's 20 odd) watch all of these sorts of shows, and I can understand the attraction. The Roosterteeth guys are engaging, and TotalBiscuit is also engaging (although the game he VAs in is not, not for me, at least). Then again, I used to run (briefly) with the "Funny [insert multiplayer game here] Videos" crowds, so make of that what you will...

TotalBiscuit
Sep 17, 2007

Lazyfire posted:

Well, skewing younger never hurt anyone on YouTube. I've watched a fair amount of the first series and only made it two episodes in when it returned. Jesse is just not the kind of YouTube person my fiancee or I really watch any of so we pretty quickly lose interest in what's happening.

I don't watch his content personally, it's not my thing, but I enjoy the straight-man/comedy-relief routine and he adds a dynamic to the podcast that we wouldn't get elsewhere.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

JamieTheD posted:

Yeah, both my little brother (just entering college) and my neighbour (a lurker goon who's 20 odd) watch all of these sorts of shows, and I can understand the attraction. The Roosterteeth guys are engaging, and TotalBiscuit is also engaging (although the game he VAs in is not, not for me, at least). Then again, I used to run (briefly) with the "Funny [insert multiplayer game here] Videos" crowds, so make of that what you will...

I mostly watch TB for the informative shows, WTF Is is a pretty good show for seeing what a game is like. Probably the best I've found at any rate.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

TotalBiscuit posted:

For me, it kind of fills the void left now I don't have a TV so can't watch Police, Camera, Action! or Jeremy Kyle. I'd never watch it like I'd watch a full episode of an LP or Game of Thrones, but I'd happily put it on while I was making food or something. It's just deep enough that it's not literally mindless drivel, but it doesn't require my full attention and it doesn't really matter if I miss something. I don't think there are many people who could honestly say everything they do and all the media they absorb is deep and enthralling. I'm happy to talk to someone who mostly reads or watches entirely factual history stuff or something, but personally I don't think I'd want to hang out too much with someone who refuses to look at anything which is more wacky dicking around than character building personal improvement. I think you're missing a lot if you only watch jesse throwing bombs in terraria and nothing else, but equally you're probably missing out on something if all you watch is CoD montages, or analysis of indie art games.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Slowbeef posted:

I think Phil is ... you know I've ragged on him a lot, so lemme temper that.

I don't think he's doing it for that reason, per se. He just doesn't seem to get certain things. He asks "why aren't people watching subsequent videos of my series?" and even I can tell you it's because views always drop off after video 1, almost as a rule. Even our more popular stuff (Darkseed 2, for example) - the first video always does way better than the others.

So, while he probably wants his views and subs to go higher, I don't think he has a firm grasp on how to do that. He probably knows on some level GTA5 will bring him more views, but I don't know that he does it for that sake specifically. You'd also think he'd realize "don't be a dick to your fans" would go a long way too.

Well it didn't help that the person in the long play just LOOKED AT EVERYTHING even though nothing changes. It took like 10 minutes for him to run through the game looking at all these little things. It made that even more painful.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

TotalBiscuit posted:

I don't watch his content personally, it's not my thing, but I enjoy the straight-man/comedy-relief routine and he adds a dynamic to the podcast that we wouldn't get elsewhere.

Yeah, you can tell the series is supposed to have that sort of dynamic, which I think was successful at first, but as the Terraria series continued on it sort of lost that sense and more felt like you were trying to keep a child with ADD on task.

I've actually watched other stuff you and Jesse separately and had no real issue with it (aside from Jesse trying to force humor sometimes), but when you do this together it just doesn't come out great.

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 11, 2013

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Zain posted:

Well it didn't help that the person in the long play just LOOKED AT EVERYTHING even though nothing changes. It took like 10 minutes for him to run through the game looking at all these little things. It made that even more painful.

I never gave thought to editing Wrongpuraes until recently. It was something we just sort of fell into doing.

Basically, Betus came to NYC on a business trip. Usually when we meet up, I have something prepared - it's a lot easier to do RP in person, I've found. (See also: Multiplayer Metroid Prime Echoes) That time, I just didn't have anything, but mentioned I'd watched a longplay of Last Alert. We had a couple of drinks and decided "what the hell, give it a go".

When we were done, I actually was against posting it since it seemed like Lazy Let's Play, but he convinced me, and people liked it so we tried it with other things.

We ended up doing Darkseed 1, and I really, really wanted to do Darkseed 2 just to see his reaction to "the big event." Crendor's longplay - with all the waiting - was the best I'd found. Others tended to cut too much (the clown is completely skipped in one). I tried to play it myself, but good luck getting a Windows 3.1 game running on DOSBOX on a loving Mac. (I tried - my old LP was done on my now defunct PC.)

We went with Crendor's and some of it actually worked out okay (Dawson inexplicably hanging out in his bathroom for no good reason) and it made the ring tossing thing into a running gag which I didn't intend at all. But that said, yeah, there's some serious downtime in there. Maybe I should try editing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I want to talk about one of my favorite Let's Players, Angie Gallant.

Her stuff is across multiple websites, so it's worthwhile to google her name and find a thread that you like. Here's a few links to get you going: Hatoful Boyfriend LP and Tokimeki Memorial Girls' Side 1st Kiss

She LPs a lot of games that wouldn't be allowed on Something Awful, mostly Japanese dating sims. One of her most famous LPs was Hatoful Boyfriend, and I really think that her LP resulted in the game becoming as famous as it is now in the English-speaking part of the internet. If I'm not mistaken, she was the first person to do an LP of the game, while the internet was still tripping over the words "romantic pigeon dating adventure."

Despite the fact that a lot of the games she plays are either delightfully bizarre (like Hatoful Pigeon), and/or could be described as guilty-pleasure-anime games (Tokimeki and Shinsengumi), she never really does "HEY LOOK AT ME! I'M PLAYING THIS GAME ABOUT DATING PIGEONS, AREN'T I SO WACKY? THIS GAME SURE IS SOMETHING, YUP YUP." She takes some jabs at the games she plays when appropriate, but she always shows a level of respect, because in the end, it's up to her to keep on playing, and she's doing it all to show off a game that she genuinely enjoys, even if it is pretty anime (Tokimeki).

She does a lot of her LPs on websites that have a strict limit on how many images allowed per post, while also forums are not as moderated as Something Awful's are, in case you may be confused by the differences you see by following the links I posted. While Something Awful holds itself to high standards of quality before you could even get out of the Sandcastle, Angie Gallant does that stuff by herself in a forum surrounded by anime squeeing and glomps. I think she raises the standards in forums, and really gets people to discuss the games instead of just saying "pleeeze update moar, ilu!"

So yeah, Angie Gallant is pretty cool to person to follow if you're a fan of silly games with plot. She has a charming personality and she's very entertaining.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 11, 2013

• Locked thread