Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spielmeister
Mar 31, 2014

Leal posted:

SJWbeef rant
Most of that seems to be a rant about the most recent Retsutalk where Beef and Betus talked about Patreon and viewers gifting them games on Steam and their best guess as to why people do that, and the fact that they run ads on their videos in general. I have no idea what he's talking about with the click-bait custom thumbnails though.

In short, I think he's basically accusing Beef and Betus of "selling-out like everyone else on YouTube" in the most incoherent way possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Spielmeister posted:

Most of that seems to be a rant about the most recent Retsutalk where Beef and Betus talked about Patreon and viewers gifting them games on Steam and their best guess as to why people do that, and the fact that they run ads on their videos in general. I have no idea what he's talking about with the click-bait custom thumbnails though.

In short, I think he's basically accusing Beef and Betus of "selling-out like everyone else on YouTube" in the most incoherent way possible.

The funny part is on that retsutalk video, he made this comment, which doesn't appear to have anything to do with literally anything in the podcast

quote:

I just figured something out about these two fuckwits and SA as a whole:
These are the type of people that drone for companies like Blizzard. For instance: Say you have Torchlight 2 Vs Diablo 3 which one do you think these two idiots are going to defend and drone for? Diablo 3. Why? Oh not because its good or anything but because it has the name Blizzard & Diablo on its box. You are tools.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
He must be from a dark future where retsupurae has become corrupted by the evils of fat stacks of cash. He probably just wants to warn us. I should update my fan fiction.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 21, 2014

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Spielmeister posted:

I have no idea what he's talking about with the click-bait custom thumbnails though.

You know we all only watched the Darkseed 2 Longplay because of the thumbnail of Mike. :colbert:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Garrand posted:

The funny part is on that retsutalk video, he made this comment, which doesn't appear to have anything to do with literally anything in the podcast

Does this guy have betus and beef confused with someone else who cares about diablo-likes or is he just making up an imaginary scenario to get mad about

BlueDude
Aug 7, 2014
Maybe he's just trying to warn us about the hidden dark side of Retsupurae. I mean, every LPer has a dark side, right?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Retsupurae's dark side is named Phil.

BlueDude
Aug 7, 2014

Jsor posted:

Retsupurae's dark side is named Phil.

:downsrim:

No, I'm pretty sure that's actually Chip Cheezum's dark side you're talking about.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

slowbeef posted:

That comment on Obscure 2 was actually too long for me to read. Every time I start to read it I think of 1000 better things to do with my life.

I only read it cause I'm having mouse issues, went to test the mouse by scroll wheeling down then the mouse died and I read it cause I couldn't be assed to get up and unplug/replug the mouse.

Garrand posted:

I think its funny he makes that comment in the talk video, then in the obscure video he makes what I posted. He is missing the proper videos for his rants.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BlueDude posted:

No, I'm pretty sure that's actually Chip Cheezum's dark side you're talking about.

Chip's dark side is the Newground user Badger Masada.

BlueDude
Aug 7, 2014
Clearly, Diabetus's dark side is Chuggaaconroy.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

BlueDude posted:

Chip's dark side, like anything related to Chip, is named Hank.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Hank Beefum :3:

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Chip's dark side is Chippowai, please learn the lore.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Anyone know of a good offsite LP (or even commentary-less longplay) of Final Fantasy X? The Dark Id's one only made it halfway, and I did not care for the Tipping Fourties one.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

It looks like YouTube is thinking about offering a pay-to-not-see-ads service. It seems that this is a move to make content creators happy by introducing a new revenue stream that may increase the pool of ad profits to share.

The fact that Adblocker or using a Chromecast eliminates ads anyways seems to not register with Google.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lazyfire posted:

It looks like YouTube is thinking about offering a pay-to-not-see-ads service. It seems that this is a move to make content creators happy by introducing a new revenue stream that may increase the pool of ad profits to share.

The fact that Adblocker or using a Chromecast eliminates ads anyways seems to not register with Google.

They may start punishing people who use adblocker software, like restricting commenting and uploading privileges.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

They may start punishing people who use adblocker software, like restricting commenting and uploading privileges.

I suppose they could try to restrict uploading to something, but could we possibly be lucky enough for them to restrict commenting?

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm not seeing a problem here. :confused:

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

chitoryu12 posted:

Or like what Hulu does and just doesn't allow you to watch the video until you white list the site, or what blip does and sitting on a message screen for a while before starting the video.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
That's when you just bypass the bypass detector and you go back to doing things as usual.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

mateo360 posted:

Or like what Hulu does and just doesn't allow you to watch the video until you white list the site, or what blip does and sitting on a message screen for a while before starting the video.

Game Anyone outright restricts privileges for people who use Adblocker by giving them a "score" that increases as they view ads and participate in the site and decreases for each ad they skip. They block entry to raffles, walkthrough requests, and other features for people who block too many ads.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Cheez posted:

That's when you just bypass the bypass detector and you go back to doing things as usual.

As long as they make it so that bypassing ads (and bypassing the bypass detectors ad nauseam) is more annoying than watching them, they've succeeded anyway.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

mateo360 posted:

I use Adblock and have never encountered those things. :shrug:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

If YouTube tried to restrict adblock usage somebody would make a workaround in approximately 5 minutes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Genocyber posted:

Yeah, I use adblock and Hulu just ignores it and shows me ads anyway.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
They could make it part of the Chrome appstore TOS that apps cannot block ads on Youtube. They did that with video downloaders -- stream rip apps on Chrome must be programmed to not download Youtube videos to appear on the app install site. Obviously it wouldn't be perfect, but it would be a hurdle to a lot of people.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Genocyber posted:

I seem to have missed remembered. I do remember AdBlock basically breaking a video player to the point were I had to allow ads to actually watch, I think it might have been daisuki when I was watching the P4G Anime. Blip is fine and it was Hulu that had the message that would sit around for up to two minutes with AdBlock even though it has an option for a work around (basically it shames you by showing the message for the full length of time the ads would be playing)

and before anyone says it, no I didn't actually pay. This is a free software and that link on the options is more for donation then anything.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What I do is disable Adblock using the menu on the addon bar on Chrome, reload the page, and then just re-enable it after the page loads/clicking play and there are no ads and they can't do poo poo about it.

One thing I do wish you could block is those dumb "IF YOU LIKE THIS VIDEO HERE'S ANOTHER ONE YOU MIGHT LIKE FROM THIS GUY" popups in the corner of Youtube videos. Like, gently caress off, I'm trying to watch the video here.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

mateo360 posted:

I seem to have missed remembered. I do remember AdBlock basically breaking a video player to the point were I had to allow ads to actually watch, I think it might have been daisuki when I was watching the P4G Anime. Blip is fine and it was Hulu that had the message that would sit around for up to two minutes with AdBlock even though it has an option for a work around (basically it shames you by showing the message for the full length of time the ads would be playing)

and before anyone says it, no I didn't actually pay. This is a free software and that link on the options is more for donation then anything.

That's weird, I don't get that message.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

CJacobs posted:

What I do is disable Adblock using the menu on the addon bar on Chrome, reload the page, and then just re-enable it after the page loads/clicking play and there are no ads and they can't do poo poo about it.

One thing I do wish you could block is those dumb "IF YOU LIKE THIS VIDEO HERE'S ANOTHER ONE YOU MIGHT LIKE FROM THIS GUY" popups in the corner of Youtube videos. Like, gently caress off, I'm trying to watch the video here.

Magic actions for Youtube is a good extension that I use. It does things like automatically disables annotations and let's you change the size of the video player. I really don't like the annotations or the channel symbol in the top right so this works great for me.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lazyfire posted:

I think its probably more about the number of videos now watched on devices unable to adblock. I would be willing to bet that PC/Laptop isn't the majority anymore compared to things like iPhones, playstations, xboxes, rokus etc etc, and apparently there have been issues with android adblock not hitting google/youtube ads, which could be google laying the foundation for this in their backyard.

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

Stux posted:

I think its probably more about the number of videos now watched on devices unable to adblock. I would be willing to bet that PC/Laptop isn't the majority anymore compared to things like iPhones, playstations, xboxes, rokus etc etc, and apparently there have been issues with android adblock not hitting google/youtube ads, which could be google laying the foundation for this in their backyard.

Having changed from a laptop to a pad for video-watching (laptop broke) I can basically confirm that adblock's bloody difficult to get on it.
I've gotten around the 'ban' on flash on the pad, but I can't seem to install 'add-ons' to firefox.
And since everyone has a pad, it seems, I can easily see it being the main way to watch video.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Since the Stream Thread is basically an advertising ground with no discussion, i'll ask here:

Which would be more pleasing to stream viewers: [720p @ 30fps] or [480p @ 60fps]. Lately there's been debate on frame-rates across various web circles and my computer hardware's somewhat outdated, so I'm wondering if its worth sacrificing resolution for fluid animations in general.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I prefer 60 FPS but I usually can't watch HD streams so… :shrug:

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

Highwang posted:

Since the Stream Thread is basically an advertising ground with no discussion, i'll ask here:

Which would be more pleasing to stream viewers: [720p @ 30fps] or [480p @ 60fps]. Lately there's been debate on frame-rates across various web circles and my computer hardware's somewhat outdated, so I'm wondering if its worth sacrificing resolution for fluid animations in general.

Personally I feel like I never get 60 fps on any video-service, streaming or otherwise.
So it's more a choice between a 'steady' 30fps or an 'unsteady' one
And I'd rather have unsteady 30 fps at 720p than the inverse.

Heck, often it feels closer to 15, since it's noticeably worse than personally playing games criticized for having 'just' 30

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Highwang posted:

What are you streaming?

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

StoryTime posted:

What are you streaming?

Muramasa: the Demons Blade

I'm also just kinda curious in general if people prefer 60fps over higher resolutions. I figure some stuff like strat or adventure games it doesn't matter, but still its interesting to see what people think.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Highwang posted:

Muramasa: the Demons Blade

I'm also just kinda curious in general if people prefer 60fps over higher resolutions. I figure some stuff like strat or adventure games it doesn't matter, but still its interesting to see what people think.

I'm thinking that when it comes to strategy games and such, people will want to read the text on screen. Those kind of games deliver a lot of information through tooltips and things like that. When it comes to action games, fluid motion seems better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

IMO higher resolution, since 30 FPS is perfectly smooth.

• Locked thread