Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Captain Sheepy posted:

The thing with those is that they're all "censored" versions that lack any sort of nudity or... the you know. Not that it makes playing those any less embarrassing of course.

Oh christ I cringed so hard my colon disappeared into my intestines

edit: I have never seen someone try so god drat hard to be funny as this man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Captain Sheepy posted:

The thing with those is that they're all "censored" versions that lack any sort of nudity or... the you know. Not that it makes playing those any less embarrassing of course.

Man he seems genuinely nervous.
"Come on man, be funny, or you're going blow it with this anime babe.
Good, just keep saying stuff, yes. I am killing it. Keep laughing at her jokes."

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
There's been a trend I've noticed on twitch where people buy green-screen sheets, but don't use the chroma key on them and, in fact, just sit in front of a green sheet for their face cams. I like this trend. However, that man took it to the next level by painting his room green-screen green.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

CJacobs posted:

Oh christ I cringed so hard my colon disappeared into my intestines

edit: I have never seen someone try so god drat hard to be funny as this man.

Maybe I'm projecting, but every time the facecam goes to full screen, I can see the light in his eyes fading away

Spielmeister
Mar 31, 2014

Captain Sheepy posted:

The game content or the LP superstar act?

This video from his channel page is full of his groan-worthy "funniest" moments. He seems to think saying butt is hilarious and he gets uncomfortably excited over little anime girls. People on YouTube really think this stuff is that funny? :psyduck:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He has around 100x more the subscribers than me. So apparently he's doing something right.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Captain Sheepy posted:

If you are going to make a Let's Play of a game like this, you should at the very least not put your face in it.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Spielmeister posted:

The game content or the LP superstar act?

This video from his channel page is full of his groan-worthy "funniest" moments. He seems to think saying butt is hilarious and he gets uncomfortably excited over little anime girls. People on YouTube really think this stuff is that funny? :psyduck:

He looks like he's in constant pain.

Maybe this is how some people cry out for help in the 21st century.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Unfunny Poster posted:

He has around 100x more the subscribers than me. So apparently he's doing something right.

This is always the worst feeling. :smith:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Danaru posted:

This is always the worst feeling. :smith:

Yeah. Some days I go "it'd be cool to have 100k subs and lots of money off these vids" and realize that overall I'm OK with my videos not pandering to the lowest common denominator and being their own unique thing which my subscribers like.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I hate that guy. I hate him. I've never heard or seen him before now, but goddammit, he is the worst.

And he's making money.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He's no different than that super hyper Irish guy. Though I guess my own subtle racism towards the Irish makes it OK since I always imagine the Irish to be overly jovial 24/7. Except during that potatoe famine :smith:

Roaper
Mar 23, 2012

When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
Pssstt, you know who is also really bad? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJmsCDWKCnc

He makes me a little sad to be Irish.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Roaper posted:

Pssstt, you know who is also really bad? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJmsCDWKCnc

This twat just makes me loving cringe any time that I see him
At least Mini lad, Terroriser & Daithi deNogla are funny due to their irishness sticking out when playing with the Americans in their group. Also mostly because their videos are generally people just playing about in Garrys mod or GTA V and aren't trying to be anything else.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Roaper posted:

I love his utter disbelief at what the cheat clearly says it'll do. Like he launches off a ramp and he's all "Holy poo poo, faith and begorrah, I never expected that I'd go at an increased distance into the air! Leprechaun! Women drivers are bad!".

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Roaper posted:

This was the Irish guy I referenced earlier.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

There are a lot more awful LP-ers than I initially imagined. Thanks, crap shoot.

Thrap shoot.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Christ I wished I hadn't clicked on any of the last bunch that were linked.

I'm surprised how little the games matter to a lot of popular LP channels, it's all about the weird antics or acts people pull off. Even with more serious guys I get the impression that I'm actually looking at a vlog that accidentally plays some random game in the background.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Captain Sheepy posted:

I'm going to punch you in the loving face for showing me this. Then I am going to grab your hands and use them to punch that guy's loving face because I don't want to use my own hands to touch that greasy screaming turdlord. Holy gently caress what even is that?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

The longer I manage to get into the video, the more I feel kind of sorry for the guy. He seems to be two steps away from an heart attack.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 29, 2015

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Captain Sheepy posted:

It honestly feels like someone is forcing this man to play that game.

:commissar: "Play this repulsive anime game, or we'll post your most embarrassing moments across the internet."
:byob: "What could be more embarrassing then playing this game with a facecam?"
:commissar: "... Good point, alright, play this game or we'll shoot you in the head."

Spielmeister
Mar 31, 2014

Fleve posted:

Christ I wished I hadn't clicked on any of the last bunch that were linked.

I'm surprised how little the games matter to a lot of popular LP channels, it's all about the weird antics or acts people pull off. Even with more serious guys I get the impression that I'm actually looking at a vlog that accidentally plays some random game in the background.

Yeah, the more popular someone gets, the less the game matters. I've noticed that a lot of the people we've seen in this thread over the past few days use manufactured click bait titles in all caps, sometimes not even bothering to mention the game involved. Come to think of it, doesn't PewDiePie do that too?

Roaper
Mar 23, 2012

When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Roaper posted:

I gotta say, one of the things I like about omfgcata/Jesse Cox, and I know a lot of people don't like him is the fact that he outright tells his viewers that trying to make a living out of LPs is a bad idea and to stay in school and get a job that contributes better to society. A while back when Let's Play was first becoming popular on Youtube I had a bunch of friends who wanted to make it big on youtube and make it into a living. I'll be honest, a couple of them are doing nothing with their lives right now.

Way back several pages ago I mentioned I had friends at the start of the LP trend who went head first into youtube for that hot partnership cash. Well after doing some internet detectiveing/social media snooping, I managed to actually find one of those poor sods who is still making videos. I looked at a few of his videos ad was actually surprised to see he's roped in several other people I knew from school to co commentate with him at times. ADHDcraft/EternalHatredXD Aka Marcus J mainly makes minecraft videos of which he has 50+ videos, several LPs with friends, MW2 Montage videos, GTA Online videos, and something he calls "Trolltage" (I think it's a combination of troll and montage?) where he plays on public servers of games and attempts to make people angry which he underlays with subtitles ala PewDiePie. Warning to all headphone users, he has a video on the main page of his channel that autoplays of a 3D rendered intro sequence that is several times louder than the rest of his video, uses some incredibly generic anime theme music (he enjoyed Naruto a lot when I knew him), and lasts 13 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UChFzGG2BTExmSIOwVDoBGQQ

Also a user by the name of Mickell Pickell who I also knew in real life, often plays with him or appears in videos. His entire schtick is also your typical Pewdiepie subtitles with pictures and changing text to show his mood, mugging from his ever present and looming facecam, and a video selection mostly of him acting afraid in scary games. I can't for the life of me remember his real name but until the day I die I will remember his haircut that he still has, and that god drat pikachu costume he wears in most his videos as he wore it multiple times to school on pajama day and Holloween. I really didn't know Mickell but he was always that guy that kinda hung out near the group and I would see at some parties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?TheMickellPickell

SnakemanMn
Apr 1, 2013

"What is green, slimy, and smells like bacon?"

Fleve posted:

For the most part, yeah, the general view of most goons in regards to Let's Play is that it should be focused on the game, not the player; the player can provide their insights on the game and play it in ways that'll best show the game off, but the game is the main attraction. With Youtube, it's the exact opposite. The game provides situations and gameplay that piques certain... "antics" from the player, and do so in ways that'll best pique those... "antics", but the player is the main attraction.

It used to be "search an LPer and check out their selection of LPs" but with the modern era of Let's Play, it is now "search a game and check out their selection of LPers" because every single big name LPer out there plays the same exact games (Slender, FNAF, etc) so the game doesn't even matter anymore. A typical Youtube subscriber is going to find an LP of any one of the "most LPed games" done by their favorite LPer(s) and only watch that/those one(s). With this being the norm, they don't even have to bother watching anybody else's LP of those aforementioned games, because the show they came to see was already given to them. That's usually why I have to laugh at people that go LPing those infamous games to try and ride on the bigger LPers' coattails. They're not realizing that, more often than not, it's not the game people want to see, it's the player, and they'll never have that power so they're poo poo out of luck.

(edit): I should probably clarify that the emphasis on the player over the game has gotten exceptionally more steep compared to earlier years, and that there was certainly an element of player over the game back then. Looking back on this post, I see that what I said was a bit contradictory, e.g. there are people who will gladly watch an MGS LP by Chip instead of somebody else. However, I feel like that ties into what I said earlier about "providing insights"/"best show the game off" because the big reason why Chip LPs are so cherished is that they're LPs done right. They have lots of great coverage on the game's elements and facets, and coupled with interesting and humorous commentary, rather than some asinine schtick that most Youtube LPers rely on to get their viewer base.

SnakemanMn fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 31, 2015

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

So has any big youtube LPer jumped on the Hatred wagon? Or would that be too far for Youtube?

SnakemanMn
Apr 1, 2013

bobjr posted:

So has any big youtube LPer jumped on the Hatred wagon? Or would that be too far for Youtube?
Of course it wouldn't.
Granted, those on the list aren't any of the multi-million subscriber LPers, but there's a 200k+ subs one on that list and a German one, so I would say the seed has already been planted, and starting to grow.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Only name from that page I recognized was Nukemdukem.

bobjr posted:

TotalBiscuit did his WTF Is on it, and then did a semi-followup video talking about video game violence and what people deem is or isn't OK.

Hatred review - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWKSopTFf2U

Talking about video game violence - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXsE-Zwb_j4

For the most part he thought the game was bad and the hubub about it was all kinds of dumb for different reasons.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 31, 2015

watho
Aug 2, 2013

:): "Hatred is a bad, unfun game that's trying way too hard to be edgy and is only relevant due to controversy"
:downs:: "Yeah! Well let me say the exact same thing and rant about how games don't actually make people violent for 20 minutes! :owned:"

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

:fuckthis:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

watho posted:

:): "Hatred is a bad, unfun game that's trying way too hard to be edgy and is only relevant due to controversy"
:downs:: "Yeah! Well let me say the exact same thing and rant about how games don't actually make people violent for 20 minutes! :owned:"

He may have been verbose about it but it's a point that deserves to be made.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

:catstare:

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
To be fair he at least tried to give reasons why some games evoke a more visceral reaction than others and why Hatred really isn't one of them, so that's some content that isn't just a restatement of something else. I don't know if he made the point very well, though. Either way, Hatred just looks like a pretty bad game, or at best fairly unremarkable. I guess the greyscale-with-spot-color look might appeal to some.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I guess the greyscale-with-spot-color look might appeal to some.

Hatred is the Schindler's List of videogames. With Nazis and everything.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

she look good

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

dreezy posted:

Hatred is the Schindler's List of videogames. With Nazis and everything.

Sabotuer, motherfucker.

SnakemanMn
Apr 1, 2013

It's as if DashieGames needs to rely on shameful clickbaiting to get more people to watch his videos because they're not at all interesting or entertaining based on their own merit or something.

...oh, wait.

SnakemanMn fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 31, 2015

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

SnakemanMn posted:

For the most part, yeah, the general view of most goons in regards to Let's Play is that it should be focused on the game, not the player; the player can provide their insights on the game and play it in ways that'll best show the game off, but the game is the main attraction.

yeah thats why stuff like tipping forties and maxwell adams and retsuprae are/were so popular here.... not! idiot......t.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

It's possible to enjoy player-based LPs if you enjoy that player's personality, or the persona that he puts up when he plays.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Unfunny Poster posted:

Only name from that page I recognized was Nukemdukem.

TotalBiscuit did his WTF Is on it, and then did a semi-followup video talking about video game violence and what people deem is or isn't OK.

Hatred review - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWKSopTFf2U

"Once you run out of respawn tokens you have to restart the entire bloody level"
TB is baffled by the concept of lives in a video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Stux posted:

yeah thats why stuff like tipping forties and maxwell adams and retsuprae are/were so popular here.... not! idiot......t.

Those first two still focused on the games. They were fun to watch because their style complemented the game and they didn't try to overshadow it. Among other things, the freelance astronauts thing was mostly multiplayer games, where it was entirely natural in the first place.

Retsupurae has gently caress all to do with any of this and you're retarded if you think it is. It's a completely different concept.

• Locked thread