Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy

ritcheyz posted:

I hope that the Dark Souls SL1 thread has been coming across as part humor/part informative. I try to really dig deep and show stuff off that I think most people won't know about, so hopefully that's been evident in the videos. :ohdear:
Thanks to you, I now know that doing barehanded parrying is pretty much the most badass thing I could do in the game. It was a great mix of information and humor, which is why I always look forward to your next update.

RSCNyx posted:

That's the weird thing about Dark Souls. Even after you play it for ages, you still find new things about it.
This. I'm always discovering new ways to take down enemies and bosses without switching to a different class on new playthroughs. It's why I sometimes even look up some crazy, sneaky methods on Youtube every now and then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Hey Vicas, you've been outdone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cYY41T5mQA

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
What a scrub, he's not even using the original controller.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
He's playing on VC because it has less lag.

Doc Neutral
Jan 31, 2014

slowbeef posted:

Honestly, I'm not personally of the belief that 2BFP has a markedly better fanbase than others, even including Restupurae. Frankly, at PAX, meeting other groups and their fans, I felt pretty loving lucky to have the fans that we do, especially compared to some of the fandoms I saw there. Another big YouTube LPer, AllShamNoWow, actually complimented us on our comments section being that there's funny poo poo in there from time to time.

I'm not saying 2BFP doesn't have good fans, I just don't think the mailbag is any indication that their fans are better than average.

Although I agree that the Retsupurae fans are quite a bit better then the average YouTube LP fans, however when you or any of your co-RPers shows or even hints at being somewhat progressive the comments section tends to turn into poo poo, I kind of regret scrolling down on your new Video Game Therapist vid(it was hilarious but again the comments section :ughh:).

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

Arson Fire posted:

From way back on page 4, but it looks like Beagle is finally starting on another series of XCOM videos. This time using the Long War mod for Enemy Within.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUeHJ2RU1e0

I agree that some of the ARMA stuff he makes can be a bit inaccessible. But a lot of it's hilarious regardless of whether you know anything about the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4PnJf35vso

Glad to see him do more X-Com. I really like his style of commentary and editing. He reminds me of TheAuZZieGamer except for that whole 'being a horrible person with an actual anger problem' thing.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

valkhorn posted:

I replied to you and this is what I said:

Ahem... 'is genuinely giving me more traffic and subs right now'...

Meaning both trailers that I made were sort of experimental. I have used adwords before just to see what it would do. It's my money and I can spend it however I please. Rest assured I didn't spend much. The latest push in stats as far as the channel trailers go is not from paid advertising whatsoever. It's due to FanFinder - which is something I got picked up for and it's genuinely giving me new active subscribers. I'm also getting subs from search results and suggested videos.

I have no control over where or how often the fanfinder trailers are played. But it's doing me a service and is giving me new traffic and new subscribers and genuine growth so I'm not going to turn it off. They do make adblockers for youtube. They are effective. Sorry if you find the channel trailer annoying but the returns are good and I'm not spending a dime for fanfinder so why would I complain? Plus it takes so long for fanfinder to update to another channel trailer, if ever, so that is something that is mostly beyond my control.

Gatz - the youtube contest I had for Super Mario All-Stars still got me subs and traffic, and although it wasn't the result I hoped for I still had submissions for the prize and still gave the prize away to a particular winner. In fact, I mentioned it in the final video for SMB3. Had you watched this, you would have known. It gave my channel somewhat of a boost and I'm fine with that.

I will not be posting threads in SA anymore. It's just not the audience I'm looking for anymore at this time. Nor is it an audience that is interested in what I do. Rather than cater myself to the SA audience, I just went looking elsewhere for an audience interested in me. Be glad you won't have to deal with my posts in the sandcastle anymore, or threads you can dislike and ignore. I can do the games I want to do, and you have other LPs you can watch and enjoy. It's a win-win for both of us.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Thank you for this, it was more than I could ever have hoped for.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Carbon dioxide posted:

5/5 would watch again.

Anyway, I think you can have an informative Metroid LP, but you'd have to show off sequence breaks and the like and have other stuff to talk about during backtracking parts and the like.

I highly enjoyed KingEffingFrost's Metroid run. It definitely can be done.

Ironed Idol
Nov 16, 2013

by XyloJW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZRfqboR0TI

look.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!

The commentator is a little too quiet, I can't really hear what they're saying most of the time. Particularly shy people wanting to get into video let's plays should probably practice speaking before doing live commentary.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Two hundred ten minute videos. What is this, 2004?

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
200 videos and 3 subscribers.

crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today
Are 12-16 year old's the target audience of the youtube AVGN rip off game review characters? I've watched a few videos by 'JonTron.' It's confusing. He acts like the condescending Sesame Street character towards an audience of too-dumb to understand pre-schoolers. His mile-a-minute talking would be fine in a sort of Joe Friday Dragnet way, but with his 'WEEEEEEEEEEE!!!' tone of voice, sends me into sensory overload. I still like Loony Toones and nes games...but what's wrong with me..I feel so out of touch with the teenage generation.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Speaking as a 26-years-old man, I like JonTron, I think he's funny and energetic. I don't really see any condescension so I'm not sure where you're coming from on that one.

Also I'm pretty sure you need to go back and watch some more Sesame Street. Jon acts like a Muppet to be sure, but I think a Muppet like Jon would overstimulate the hell out of Sesame Street's target audience.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
He's silly as gently caress and whether or not you like his poo poo depends on your tolerance for silly humor. For me, it tickles my funny bone a fair bit, but it can be tiresome sometimes.

I assume, Dr. Buttass, that your tolerance for silly humor is quite high, considering your username is "Dr. Buttass."

crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today
There might be a difference between Monty Python brand of silly, and Frat Boy silly. But it's all good with me, he's got his fans. I spend a lot of time reading a lot of really dry stuff for work, so when I get a chance to relax I like the dumbest garbage I can find.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012
I know Markiplier has been mentioned a couple times in this thread so far, and I really don't know much about him aside from that he does voices/screaming and plays a lot of horror games. This question in the Friend Zone panel got a really good response from him though - and makes me think he's a pretty smart and savvy dude.

Fair warning, most of that video is pretty cringeworthy.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I think Jontron is the only funny internet reviewer out there anymore, honestly. I wasn't too keen on him on Game Grumps, but his reviews, especially his newer stuff, is pretty good and consistently worth at least a few chuckles. His early stuff is really cringeworthy though.

EDIT: Funny gameslashmovie reviewer, anyway. Last I saw of his stuff, Todd in the Shadows was pretty consistently good too.

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!

kalonZombie posted:

I think Jontron is the only funny internet reviewer out there anymore, honestly. I wasn't too keen on him on Game Grumps, but his reviews, especially his newer stuff, is pretty good and consistently worth at least a few chuckles. His early stuff is really cringeworthy though.

I've got him on my subfeed, and I usually skip on his videos when they come up, because I think of his older stuff and I'm like "yeah I don't really need to."

And then after a few videos I see one that I do want to click on and I'm reminded, "Oh yeah, JonTron is actually really good now." And then catch up on what I missed.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Robust Laser posted:

I've got him on my subfeed, and I usually skip on his videos when they come up, because I think of his older stuff and I'm like "yeah I don't really need to."

And then after a few videos I see one that I do want to click on and I'm reminded, "Oh yeah, JonTron is actually really good now." And then catch up on what I missed.

In my opinion, his first real funny video was Nightshade so that's a good point to work from.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

unfair posted:

I know Markiplier has been mentioned a couple times in this thread so far, and I really don't know much about him aside from that he does voices/screaming and plays a lot of horror games. This question in the Friend Zone panel got a really good response from him though - and makes me think he's a pretty smart and savvy dude.

Fair warning, most of that video is pretty cringeworthy.

Markiplier when he's not in character comes off as a pretty enjoyable guy to watch. I kind of wish he would drop the whole "Pewdiepie Junior" act and do his gaming thing as himself because then he might have something watchable.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Jamesman posted:

Markiplier when he's not in character comes off as a pretty enjoyable guy to watch. I kind of wish he would drop the whole "Pewdiepie Junior" act and do his gaming thing as himself because then he might have something watchable.

He'd also probably be much less popular so that's doubtful.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jamesman posted:

This is basically exactly what I think. I was legitimately disappointed in his videos when I first found them because I liked his voice and he seemed like he would be fun, but then he started with the silly voices and screaming and frankly not-that-good jokes. I was also irritated because I was trying to find LPs of games and mods like Black Snow and kept finding PDP clones (or PDP himself), when I just wanted someone who could LP it sanely and calmly.

quote:

He'd also probably be much less popular so that's doubtful.

See though, he's already gotten some popularity. He's at the point now where if he makes a gradual change to his style over time, bringing himself down a notch into something more calm and properly thought out, he has enough of a fanbase that he won't just disappear from loss of viewers. He's not really in the precarious early stage where he has to make something of himself or die out.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

chitoryu12 posted:

See though, he's already gotten some popularity. He's at the point now where if he makes a gradual change to his style over time, bringing himself down a notch into something more calm and properly thought out, he has enough of a fanbase that he won't just disappear from loss of viewers. He's not really in the precarious early stage where he has to make something of himself or die out.

His current fans came there because he had a good voice and was like PewDiePie. If they woke up tomorrow and he launched a highly informative LP with no face cam people would complain he "Got bad" and stop watching.

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

I play games and sometimes the things I say are of a humorous variety.

Robust Laser posted:

His review of the movie "Foodfight" is pretty new and probably the best thing he's done other than "Birdemic". I appreciate his style in movie reviews and on the older episodes of Game Grumps but something about his video game reviews turns me off.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

The thing is, I imagine a lot of his fans are teens/pre-teens like with Pewdiepie. As such there's a constant flow of new fans being attracted to his style, so if he changes it slowly he'll lose his current fans as they get bored and won't attract new incoming ones.

At the very least, he has no reason to fix what ain't broke.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Doc Neutral posted:

Although I agree that the Retsupurae fans are quite a bit better then the average YouTube LP fans, however when you or any of your co-RPers shows or even hints at being somewhat progressive the comments section tends to turn into poo poo, I kind of regret scrolling down on your new Video Game Therapist vid(it was hilarious but again the comments section :ughh:).

Apparently meeting the standards of "bare human decency" like Slowbeef does makes him an SJW and SA is SJW central and Lowtax might as well move us to http://somethingawful.tumblr.com and get it over with.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Patter Song posted:

Apparently meeting the standards of "bare human decency" like Slowbeef does makes him an SJW and SA is SJW central and Lowtax might as well move us to http://somethingawful.tumblr.com and get it over with.

I was extremely hesitant to click that link but extremely relieved afterwards.

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Speaking of Markiplier, slowbeef just posted something in the Blasting Zone discussing his marketing strategies. Y'all might want to give it a quick look.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Patter Song posted:

I think if Something Awful brought their brand of sanctimony to Tumblr they'd be in for a pretty unpleasant shock.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

tinkerttoy posted:

Speaking of Markiplier, slowbeef just posted something in the Blasting Zone discussing his marketing strategies. Y'all might want to give it a quick look.

Ha. I mixed up threads and thought that was here.

CrazySalamander posted:

Does [Markiplier] model everything as well? And I mean literally everything, like Slowbeef said.

Keep in mind, there's a lot more to YouTube success than making videos.

Pewdiepie did a lot of marketing stuff right, probably inadvertently. That "brofist" bullshit and his memes-a-plenty encourage engagement and his subscribers comment over all the poo poo and he does and everything. He games the system due to that.

Markiplier does similar things, but again, in a smarter way. Pewdiepie's appeal to kids is that he worked blue. He would tell them the jokes their parents wouldn't ("suck my black pussy") etc. It's like when kids sneak off to watch South Park and laugh at Mr. Hanky while the other jokes just go over their heads. But if you notice, PDP doesn't get a lot of "official" exposure. Advertisers don't really want to touch stuff like that with direct endorsement.

But Markiplier works just blue enough. He doesn't seem to go past "My rear end!" "My balls!" with stuff. You get to laugh at a naughty joke, and you wouldn't mind making him the face of public events. (See also: Toby Turner.)

Here's a sneaky trick. But I actually like it.

You know how PDP fans go on and on about his charity? Markiplier puts his charity stuff in his About page. But get this: It's charity raised. Mark avoids the problem altogether: he doesn't look like an rear end in a top hat donating a bunch of money and then bragging about how he did it. He asks his followers to donate and praises them.

This is not criticism. I actually think that's a really smart move. He gets an added bonus that his less observant fans see that number and go "oh wow, Markiplier gave over 200k to charity? What a swell guy!" He didn't, mind! It just looks like it.

Note: I know this can kick off a charity debate, but the goodness (or not) of doing it or raising vs. donating, but that isn't really the heart of it. My point is if you look at Markiplier, he seems pretty drat business savvy, and he takes what PDP does and cherry-picks the good successful.

I'm also interested why he changed his YouTube channel from Markiplier to MarkiplierGAME. I don't know if that helps with search rankings or what.

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt

slowbeef posted:

I'm also interested why he changed his YouTube channel from Markiplier to MarkiplierGAME. I don't know if that helps with search rankings or what.

What a coincidence, I was thinking about changing my forums username to CybershellGAME (that way people will know I like games)

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
I have no idea if this is relevant, but GAME is the main videogame distributor in Britain so maybe that has something to do with it?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Saith posted:

I have no idea if this is relevant, but GAME is the main videogame distributor in Britain so maybe that has something to do with it?

That's actually not a terrible theory, but someone in the other thread theorized that he was probably launching a Vlogs channel alongside this one and that makes way too much sense to not be right.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Behold! The first let us play!

Masked Faceless
Oct 7, 2013

by Ralp

Didn't his house burn down a while back?

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Post this in the 2007 thread.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

slowbeef posted:

He moved from Markiplier to MarkiplierGAME because the former channel got three copyright strikes against it and he couldn't monitize it any more.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

gatz posted:

Post this in the 2007 thread.

I like the way that you think!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

JordanKai posted:

He moved from Markiplier to MarkiplierGAME because the former channel got three copyright strikes against it and he couldn't monitize it any more.

I think that's almost the answer with one nitpicky detail. 3 strikes removes the channel entirely. 1 strike means you can't get Google to monetize it or be partnered, so it's possible he had 1-2, couldn't remove them and had to move.

• Locked thread