Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

FrickenMoron posted:

Just dropping in to say that I dig your "first time playing" videos slowbeef. I hope to see some more FTL videos eventually?

Agreed, FTL is a fantastic game.. And for any of you dudes that haven't played it, I seriously recommend it. [/shamelessplug]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

General Ironicus posted:

This is your reminder that we are hosting a panel on LP at the Chicago Comic and Entertainment Expo on Sunday morning. And a big thank you to the people who submitted questions for the Q&A portion. Please join us for video game church if you are able: http://c2e214.mapyourshow.com/5_0/sessions/sessiondetails.cfm?ScheduledSessionID=11AB

Unfortunately, I happen to be in Florida. I won't be anywhere near the northern states for another few weeks.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

It's been a page and everyone has failed to comment on this, so I gotta ask; is this deliberate? Is there some developer (or I guess localizer) out there as good at making subtle jabs LP personalities as they are terrible at kerning? Or is this just an awesome coincidence?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I don't think anyone actually knows. Maybe send a twitter message to Aksys' US branch?

e: vv Well there you go.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 26, 2014

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.

Fedule posted:

It's been a page and everyone has failed to comment on this, so I gotta ask; is this deliberate? Is there some developer (or I guess localizer) out there as good at making subtle jabs LP personalities as they are terrible at kerning? Or is this just an awesome coincidence?

The description, and the effect of said item, makes it seem like a less-than-subtle reference, personally.

dumb bunny
Jan 30, 2014

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Aksys_Mike02/status/459742779900297216

@Aksys_Mike02 posted:

That was intentional, like every in-joke I throw into whatever game I've worked on.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

What game is this?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Sorcery Saga: The Curse of the Great Curry God for Vita.

Nksor
Feb 1, 2013
Bringing it back to Game Grumps (again), although this time I think the discussion can be a bit more open-ended.

Earlier today a collab was posted up on Polaris with a couple of people from Game Grumps on their show called Table Flip with guests being the members of Mega64.

Ok.

The episodes themselves weren't anything special, weren't falling-off-my-chair hilarious, but weren't bad either. I tend to enjoy the stuff Mega64 puts out, so I was pleased overall.

On each of their channels, a promo was posted for the episodes. The Game Grumps' video's comments section was pretty neutral, although there were some people who enjoyed it and disliked it. The comments section on Mega64's video, though?

Oh boy.

The reactions ranged from "What the gently caress" to "Holy loving poo poo this channel is dead dammit all to hell" to what basically boiled down to death threats. It brings an interesting question:

Will content creators be afraid to work with other content creators in fear of a bad reaction? A lot of people instantly hated the content just knowing that Game Grumps was a let's play channel (mind you, a lot of the comments were timestamped before it was even possible to have watched all of the videos). It's not like they're "selling out," either: it's been established that members from both channels have been good friends for a long, long time. What's the status of the name of let's play on the online community, and in real life? Have cashgrabbers and screamers made the name so hated that communities are willing to lash out instantly the second it's associated with them?

ritcheyz
Dec 25, 2008

You've gotta be crazy
Gotta have a real need
I saw that, and I think the backlash is just that the audience for Mega64 really, REALLY hates Game Grumps. I'm not sure how much it has to do with the fact that GG is a Let's Play channel, though.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The knock on effect of the cash grabbers being the best known is that their audience is mainly younger people. It's not just that people who do lets play, to many people, are screamy idiots - in fact, I think that fact itself is probably the lesser issue for a lot of people. I suspect that for a lot of people, it's just the fact that it's video games (a known waste of time and corruptor of the youth) being watched on the internet (see video games), aimed at 12 year olds.

For specifically mega64, that might be less of a problem since it's sort of a dumb nerd thing anyway, but more generally, it wouldn't surprise me if there were some people who'd want to avoid LPers simply because idiots playing video games for children to laugh at is just a bit beneath them.

I think a lot of the time in this thread, we overestimate the amount people outside the "scene" actually know about LP. I'd be pretty surprised to learn if there was a significant portion of people who are in any way aware of what actually comprises any LP (beyond it being those minecraft videos their little brother watches) but aren't actually people who'd watch it. I know people who'd call themselves gamers but would still look down upon the very concept of LP before watching anything. It literally doesn't matter whether it's rape jokes, entire videos of unedited camcorder nonsense where no progress is made, or the most informative thing in the world, because the vast majority of people who don't take part in the gaming community just know that for some reason, their little brother really like watching people play minecraft on youtube.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Nksor posted:

Will content creators be afraid to work with other content creators in fear of a bad reaction?

Spoony's friends (and even his girlfriend!) absolutely refuse to appear in his videos, and ask him not to feature their videos on his site, just because his fanbase is so utterly vile that they descend like a pack of rabid Alabamans on a black man on anyone who comes to their attention. Sometimes, when they're bored, they lash out at Spoony too.

I know all this because on at least one occasion he made a video calling them out for it. He basically said, "You guys are quite possibly the shittiest people on the internet. I am absolutely not grateful for your support because this is the worst kind of support I could possibly get and I might actually be better off if I were just toiling in obscurity."

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Speaking of Game Grumps, I finally watched a video by them today. They are much better than I thought they'd be. Haven't really seen any terrible parts in the dozen videos I've seen so far but I can see where the faults would be.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Any discussion of Game Grumps invariably seems to come with weird celebrity stalker facts about bad behavior on the part of people involved in the channel. It's weird, you never hear stuff about background Pewdiepie drama and people hate him way more.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
The problem with Game Grumps is just a lot of little things, and when you release three videos a day, those little things really add up and start to become harder and harder to ignore.

Also Arin is one of the dumbest people, and listening to him try to talk like he's not a barely functional human is just so painful at times.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Hey Jamesman, how's the DSP experiment going?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I came down with an illness, and decided I needed a break from such... harsh conditions... until I felt better. I'll get back to the grind in the next couple of days though.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jamesman posted:

I came down with an illness, and decided I needed a break from such... harsh conditions... until I felt better. I'll get back to the grind in the next couple of days though.

Jesus... forcing yourself to watch DSP made you physically ill? The US Government needs to weaponize him pronto!

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The US Government needs to weaponize him pronto!

They send him to North Korea, he starts complaining that he can't understand Chinese, and laughs at the fact that they all have the same haircut. All while wondering where Hideo Kojima is.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Given how much stupid fake poo poo like the haircut story, the "his uncle got sent to be eaten by dogs" story and "lol they believe they found an unicorn and made a park about it" the general public (and even people who jerk themselves off for "not being guillable") tends to buy for weeks, sending DSP there at this point would be standard procedure.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Does anyone know any good FTL players? I tried watching northernlion but although he is tolerable as a person his play is kind of not good.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Momplestiltskin, who is doing an FTL LP right here in the forum seems to know what he's doing.

Five
Jan 6, 2009

It's not really a Let's Play but a guy named LethalFrag on Twitch is currently going through a thing where he is doing no-pause runs on hard of every single ship. He's not broadcasting right this second, obviously.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Five posted:

It's not really a Let's Play but a guy named LethalFrag on Twitch is currently going through a thing where he is doing no-pause runs on hard of every single ship. He's not broadcasting right this second, obviously.

I'm watching one of his recordings, and I have to say; while I'm not a fan of face-cams, I appreciate that he: 1. put some effort into it (looks like he's got a green screen set up) and 2. is animated enough that it adds a little to the experience rather than just staring at the screen glassy-eyed and slackjawed.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
Are we sure that PDP is a kids only thing, because this just popped up on my facebook:

All of the people who commented on that are college students.
My friends really disappoint me, because these aren't the only ones that I know of that like him.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Strong Mouse posted:

Are we sure that PDP is a kids only thing, because this just popped up on my facebook:

My friends really disappoint me, because these aren't the only ones that I know of that like him.

In this day and age, most people stay childish until the age of 30, so this really just cements that PDP is really a kiddish only thing.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
I would like to think that it's fair to say that the majority of LP fans are age 20+.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Strong Mouse posted:

I've been going to the idiots in social media thread so when you used all the same color to censor this picture i thought it was just 1 friend of yours that REALLY like PDP enough to make several comments in a row like that.

I'm sure there ARE people like that but it still kind of freaked me out.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

General Ironicus posted:

This is your reminder that we are hosting a panel on LP at the Chicago Comic and Entertainment Expo on Sunday morning. And a big thank you to the people who submitted questions for the Q&A portion. Please join us for video game church if you are able: http://c2e214.mapyourshow.com/5_0/sessions/sessiondetails.cfm?ScheduledSessionID=11AB

Is there a video of this somewhere? Or the answers to the Q/A part of it at least?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

DOOP posted:

Is there a video of this somewhere? Or the answers to the Q/A part of it at least?

It was today. Give them time to get it ready.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Roar posted:

I would like to think that it's fair to say that the majority of LP fans are age 20+.

I'm honestly surprised there's any kind of adult following for any of the more entertainment/personality based LPers, although maybe I'm giving people too much credit in assuming grown ups would be more interested in, at the very least, reasonable production values and a certain level of non-idiocy.

Every child I meet, be it my little brother, my cousins, kids of family friends or whatever, seems to be able to instantly connect over a discussion of who they watch playing slender or minecraft, whereas I don't think I've met anyone at university who didn't just get sort of confused when they discovered I watched video games on the internet.

Is my experience the exception? A lot of the discussion here treats youtube LPs like their main audience is made up of adults, whereas the vast majority of the LP audience I've encountered outside this forum are literally just children.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Not all pewdiepie fans are kids. There's this guy, for example.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

IceAgeComing posted:

:barf:

Why... why did I click that link?

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

[quote="IceAgeComing" post="428873568"]
[/]

What?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I didn't know that Jesus had a youtube channel, myself.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

IceAgeComing posted:

I didn't know that Jesus had a youtube channel, myself.

He gives you tips on how to gently caress people up, with his buddy Liam. He's also a peder-rear end.

Nobody fucks with the Jesus

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

IceAgeComing posted:

Ok, which one of you mother fuckers is this. He basically described himself as somebody from the goon.jpg thread.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

MooCowlian posted:

I'm honestly surprised there's any kind of adult following for any of the more entertainment/personality based LPers, although maybe I'm giving people too much credit in assuming grown ups would be more interested in, at the very least, reasonable production values and a certain level of non-idiocy.

Larry the Cable Guy

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there

MooCowlian posted:

I'm honestly surprised there's any kind of adult following for any of the more entertainment/personality based LPers,

I really don't. After browsing Tumblr for cool fanart and funny gifs, I found out a lot of teenage women / women in their early 20's like Game Grumps. Enough for a Tumblr fandom at least :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

As a dude who watches people video games on the internet I also hate it when people watch the wrong people play video games on the internet.

• Locked thread