Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Hot new interview with thread favorite DarksydePhil.

And before people ask, it's fake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The guy has a lot of talent, it's just where he channeled that talent...

That said, that Pokemon LP is still one of my favorite retsupuraes just because of how weird it is and how much effort went into it. I think he's got great potential to make some great stuff, and at least he seems to have some self-awareness. I'm hoping he'll move on to better and less-creepy things as I can't help but admire what he's accomplished, as hosed up as a lot of it is.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

You can never have enough DarksydePhil bashing.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Sorry, should've clarified this isn't real. Play4Real is The Onion of gaming journalism, in that they post "parody" news that can and at some point probably will come true.

Not that it's that hard to imagine DarksydePhil literally losing to a monkey at video games.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

wait wait wait his fans LIKED the camcorder? :psyduck: WHY!?

For the same reason they'd watch an unboxing video without any actual unboxing. His fans are just as incompetent at watching better videos apparently, so he's a role model for people too dumb to do basic stuff without loving it up.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

If people didn't want to discuss LP, then there wouldn't be so much chat in this thread and the Sandcastle about various LP topics, and we wouldn't have threads like the Experimental LP thread. Besides, this discussion on whether we should discuss Let's Play is us discussing Let's Play. :tinfoil:

People just say they don't want to discuss Let's Plays in general to preemptively show they're not taking it too seriously, and even then they'll still discuss them. I don't know, it's fun to learn and try new things in the hobby, finding ways to make my updates better and more efficient, seeing what crazy awesome stuff people come up with. If Let's Plays weren't fun to discuss, then what would make this forum different from Games?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Post it on GBS and let it evolve into a general thread mocking lovely LPers, like how the CAD thread evolved into lovely webcomics in general. It'll help clear this thread up a bit and put DSP bashing in a more appropriate place.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I guess the question there is whether there's any cases where a game's sales were hurt by the exposure of a big-name LP. I'm pretty sure even terrible games like Sonic 2006 and Ride to Hell: Retribution actually got some sales just from people wanting to experience the terribleness themselves.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

valkhorn posted:

I prefer to keep private issues between you and me private. A little birdie told me you insulted me, in public, again, and so I checked it out. I thought maybe if you had some issue with me we could handle it like people instead of behind each other's backs. I'm not going to forget that you personally insulted me here as well as passed along gossip about me that wasn't true - but that matter again is between you and me, and has nothing to do with everyone else on this forum. You know where to find me if you want to discuss the matter further but I won't discuss it further here. I've already tried to contact you, and this is what you chose to do.

Here's an idea, instead of AGAIN poking fun at me here, why don't you *shock* private message me either here or my channel or google plus?

I'm not posting LPs here for reasons - and you guys should be happy with that. If my existence bothers you so much, then fine, make fun of me all you want because obviously it makes you feel better.

Now watch me go on probation yet again for actually giving my side of the discussion and trying to be civil.

Serious talk, you're taking this poo poo too seriously, which is funny since you never took seriously any actual advice people gave you in the Sandcastle. You need to develop a thicker skin if you're going to do something like Let's Plays where you put your effort out there for people to criticize, since you just overreacted to a small offhand comment that would've been overlooked otherwise.

Actually, to move things back into focus for a bit, what are people's experiences with Youtube LPers in terms of taking criticism? Because it really seems like most people just ignore it or shout back in anger, but it'd be cool to hear of examples where people listened and changed stuff for the better.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

slowbeef posted:

Someone once posted in here that they wanted to be rich and famous on YouTube. If that person's around, mind if I ask: you sure?

Well, I do now.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Leovinus attempted remaking his FF8 LP since he wasn't satisfied with the old one, but that fizzled out for reasons. He did it pretty similar to his last run, though a bit more fleshed out, and people still liked it. And there are some LPs that do multiple runs through a game, like ddegenha's three runs through Seiken Densetsu 3.

It depends what game is being redone, why the LPer is redoing it, and whether the LPer has enough new things to offer, or are trying a completely different approach (narrative vs. informative, screenshot vs. video, new forum, et cetera). Usually the newer one will be better quality since the LPer can incorporate things they learned since the last LP, or know the game better to better pull off which approach they want, but it comes down to whether the time spent redoing a LP is really worth it. And it probably is since the LPer would rather remake it than do another LP or whatever the hell else, so I have no problem with LP remakes.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Jsor posted:

This is kind of random, but I really don't get LPers who enable game modes where you can only have one save file. It seems like you're just begging to lose 3 hours of footage and be unable to rerecord it.

It's possible I'm just too paranoid, though, since I don't think I've ever actually seen a series die in the middle because of this happening.

Sometimes games only have one save file and there's no easy way to back up. I've seen LPs where the LPer lost a save file, but the LPs usually recover whether from someone else taking over or the LPer simply replaying all the way back.

I always back up many of my saves, since there's been times I went to an earlier save to show something off I missed or just learned about.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Of course a guy who'd think swatting was a good idea would (likely unironically) use the name BadAssDwg69.

I can't stop laughing at his reaction.

e:

djw175 posted:

That's from National Report, a satirical news site. It didn't actually happen.

Well that's disappointing.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 30, 2014

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Angrymog posted:

I thought about doing an april the 1st stream with a facecam and wearing my fencing mask for the entire stream - it would be about as expressive as a normal facecam.

This, except I'd be wearing a Horse Mask instead.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

TheModernAmerican posted:

In streaming, on the other hand, I'd say a facecam is pretty important for chat interaction and such. And a lot of them don't obscure the game at all by putting a stream of their chat below the cam and have the full game taking up 75% of the screen, but unobstructed.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't really see how seeing someone's face helps communication where one side is a bunch of people without faces communicating in text on a time delay. If anything, I'd guess not showing one's face would put the streamer on more equal footing with their watchers, where sans-facecam the streamer is talking more with their watchers.

That's probably just me, though.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

TheModernAmerican posted:

I implied habitually watching them, I gave Markiplier a few views and thought he wasn't that funny. Acheivement Hunter was way too far in and had too many in jokes. There were others, but in general there aren't too many good youtube LPs. Please relax. The point was that this thread doesn't even consider the opposing view, they threw it out of hand about four years ago, to the point that you were not allowed to post an LP with a facecam.

They're allowed, it's just that general opinion here is facecams generally add little to the games being played so you never really see facecams except as jokes or from people unfamiliar with the forum. You'd probably see face/bodycams here if the games were suited for them, like some Wii games, or extra video to show stuff off like Vicas playing SM64 with his feet or if someone wants to show their finger placement for Guitar Hero or something.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

judge reinhold posted:

And, lo, the debate was finally settled. Everyone agreed to their opinion about face cams and vowed never to talk about it ever again on SA.

Now that that's settled, let me tell everyone my opinions on the Sandcastle:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I'd like facecams more if all LPs were done by animals.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Believe it or not, you can both put actual effort into your LPs and discuss methodology and the ongoing trends and all that kind of stuff, and also not take LP that seriously and treat it as a hobby that doesn't consume your life. It doesn't have to be an "either-or" thing, much like how it isn't in every other hobby you can think of.

It's not a bad thing to be really into Let's Plays until it starts affecting your life in a negative way, other than it being a nerdier and more awkward hobby to talk about in public than most others of course.

Also, between this thread and the Sandcastle, I don't know if we really need another Blasting Zone. It was fine for what it was, but I don't really see what purpose it'd serve now.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

IGgy IGsen posted:

DSPs real reaction would be "What the gently caress? It turned off? Oh right, I was just supposed to know that. Thanks a lot for this piece of poo poo Kojima!"

Also: Those LPers on reddit you mention are probably idiots. Unless of course they only care for the cumulative number of views going up. Which I guess they should if they wanna make money with their stuff. But no one will be able to keep up with that many videos a day and even as an LPer it's only possible if you upload your raw unedited footage. Which I know many people do, sadly.

I'm curious to see the view counts of the people saying, "Yeah, four videos a day sound about right."

Though they probably still get more views than most of the people on SA.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

judge reinhold posted:

I don't think so. You look at the people who post their garbage introductory threads here and their views are usually below 50 and they upload at least one video per day. I don't know if that advice is worth following anyway since I doubt someone who is starting out and just making GBS threads out videos as quickly as they can will really outshine the thousands of other people doing the exact same thing.

Oh, the advice is definitely bad, but there's definitely a balance between "Crank out a bunch of poo poo" and "Put in a lot of time to make something great" that you have to strike to get views.

The best advice is to have a personality that attracts certain types of people and pair it with a game that is unique and interesting enough that tons of people want to see it played. I'm mainly curious to see how many of the people on the LP subreddit actually have a decent audience.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Trash Ops posted:

Something that isn't funny can't be funnier than something that is funny.

It can with integer overflow.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

"If you don't want to spend your life playing video games, you hate yourself." - Iggy Igsen, tyool 2014

Anyway, my problem isn't in it being / not being fun, but in parasiting on somebody else's work. But this isn't the blasting zone and I don't want to get banned, so I guess just read the BZ archived thread for exhaustive converage of this incisive social issue.

Reviews, movies/TV shows based on books, MST3K/Rifftrax, artists clearly inspired by other artists, and a bunch more.

The spin done by the LPer(s) definitely has some intrinsic value, or else people wouldn't follow specific people like Pewdiepie and instead just watch solely for whatever games they're interested in. I don't see how it's different from MST3k, except instead of riffing the LPer can instead/also be informative on various aspects of the game (and even stuff beyond the game), encouraging the audience to contribute/affect the LP, and even add their own narrative twist to the game.

Besides, if companies don't want you making money from their work, they could just block the LPs from Youtube or go the Nintendo route and take the ad money for themselves. Of course, that means depending on game footage as your revenue source is very risky unless you're the top few guys or can stretch out into something different.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I'm so going to steal the "Let's Play on Twitter" idea at some point.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

gently caress if I remember the first video LP I've seen. Probably something like Sonic 2 Special Edition or Jurassic Park Trespasser or something that was big at the time.

Don't really remember the first SSLP I've read either, though I remember following one or two before there even was a LP forum. Maybe the Oregon Trail one?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Unfunny Poster posted:

Twitch updated its Rules of Conduct and "banned games" list to more or less nip the Hatred thing in the bud, but also say that any game rated as Adults Only by the ESRB isn't permitted on Twitch (M rated versions of a game, eg. Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy are fine but the AO "Director's Cut" isn't).

http://blog.twitch.tv/2015/05/rules-of-conduct-update-adult-oriented-games/

As usual, people are losing their god drat minds over Twitch saying "nah, we don't want this sorta stuff on our platform"

poo poo, now where will I stream my Mario ROM hacks where Mario is replaced by a giant dong?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The Vosgian Beast posted:

If they did that, Gamergate would piss themselves in anger and then try to takedown Twitch.

Alternatively, someone kept trying to stream Hentai games.

I'd like to think it's that same guy who used to repeatedly try to LP hentai games here and Twitch is trying to get him to stop already.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

sout posted:

I'm sort of surprised how many people add _____SA to the end (or start sometimes) or their usernames on other platforms, to the point that I think I even saw somebody do it for an SA account. :shrug:

To be fair, I kinda have to do that since "Mega64" is already taken at a surprising amount of places these days.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I prefer to think it'll be an extended episode of It's Always Sunny. I'd watch "The Gang Plays Minecraft" myself.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

i'm a giant pussy who got really tense and scared for like ten minutes thinking i was going to die from a pot randomly falling of a shelf earlier, and i will never play a fnaf game in my life, so people like us do exist

Why aren't you making the big bucks on Youtube showing off your fear skills then?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I'm just saying there's people far more worthy of getting $4 million a year, like RichardGamingo.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

Did Rich Evans do some scummy poo poo I missed :ohdear:

Or did other Plinkett guy do something or what.

You know how they splice the actual review content with "Plinkett is a serial killer who rapes and murders women" gags? It's probably that.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Danaru posted:

I still get angry YouTube messages about a Sonic Adventure 2 LP I did like a year ago now. There are a lot of really salty people that get angry at any criticism of SA1 or 2.

Golden Goat posted:

The Bayonetta 2 LP's another good example of the comments section going mental because they didn't shower the game with constant praise.

What I get from this is that inevitably I'm going to get death threats for my SimAnt LP.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Deceased Crab

Mega64
May 23, 2008

BMS posted:

Welp, that settles it. My task is clear.

Time to get to work on RPing a retsupurae video of Navigtr, with a George Wood soundboard.

edit: Ok, just listened to that video you mentioned. Is it just me, or does George Wood sound eerily like slowbeef when he's saying that poo poo? Slowbeef, did we just have a Maury moment and find your real dad?

Where do you think slowbeef got the idea of talking over video games?

George Wood, the original Let's Player.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Bill Clinton, right?

george's not the only wood here baby

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Didn't he have a game show where he'd ask a kid video game trivia and if they "won" he'd show them his rear end?

George Wood is really loving weird.

e:

quote:

Themes
A. intergenerational conflict
B. schizophrenia
C. saggy boobs

quote:

YouTube Series
Q. George Wood on “To Catch a Predator”

Really loving weird.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Nov 15, 2015

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Golden Goat posted:

Having seen some similar poo poo before I can totally see him trying this.

Also starting to find a ton of people on youtube admitting that he's a very unstable person. It's insane.

I find it hard to believe a person who makes their livelihood as an internet personality would be unstable.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

HGH posted:

Sorry but I just feel a need to post these:

Whose dumbass idea was it to make figures out of people that just shout profanities all day?

gently caress that, where's my loving cheap piece-of-poo poo action figure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Scaramouche posted:

So.....

My younger brother has expressed a desire to me that he wants to start a youtube channel about playing games and commenting on games related happenings, perhaps podcast style over his own recorded footage. He has no idea that watching LP has been my secret shame since 2006, or even that SomethingAwful exists (we live quite a ways apart, and he's 11 years younger than me), and while they're not identical there's a lot there in common. I linked him the http://salp.wikia.com/ and then got on a call with him.

I asked him what he wants to accomplish and what his influences are. He says "to have fun and learn stuff", and he got the idea from watching some mooks called Lazy Peon and Frankie In 1080p (are these guys terrible? I don't know what the young kids get up to on youtube now).

I was immediately filled with a feeling of dread, thinking he wanted to be the next Pewdiepie or Tobuscus or something. But I can kind of see it working for him; he's a musician who has overseen 2 albums for his band, and in the fall he's going to go to school to certify for being an audio recording technician. The first thing he said to me was that he thinks facecams are stupid. Lastly since he's my brother he's probably Not Stupid. He's asked for me for help not realizing that I probably know more about the whole dangle fangle than he does.

So I guess, any advice? Encourage him? Discourage him?

Since he has a background in music, it might be interesting for him to tackle rhythm games and other music-focused games like Electroplankton or whatever and offer his perspective as a musician. That could be a good starting point as far as finding games to talk about.

• Locked thread