Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Slowbeef posted:

Do custom thumbnails actually... do anything for anyone? I don't ever really regard them when I go to watch videos - I usually find what I'm looking for via search and the title.

I use custom thumbnails for almost every one of my videos. I use them to upload an innocuous screenshot from the video because a lot of the time YouTube's three thumbnail options spoil stuff that happens in it.

But I guess that's nothing like the intended way to use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Popo posted:

Giant Bomb

It's subscriber content, but since you mentioned Bioforge, I feel like it's also worth mentioning the currently ongoing Load Our Last Souls, in which Vinny loaded up his old Dark Souls save and is now trying to beat it. He has a couple of people (one who's beaten the game, the other has played more than Vinny has) to help guide him, so he never gets totally lost. They guide him just enough so it's not frustrating to watch, but not so much that they take all the fun out of a blind Dark Souls run. His save is more or less immediately after the Lord Vessel, so you miss out on the first half of the game, but it's still an entertaining watch.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

MooCowlian posted:

Looking at a couple of playlists from Jesse Cox, it looks like that effect more or less stops after the first few videos. His War in the North videos dropped pretty quickly and then pretty much hold at about a third of the views for the first video from episode 5 onward.

Do similar patterns hold for videos from smaller channels, or posted in a forum environment like SA rather than on the wild plains of youtube?

It's different from a full video LP, but the supplemental videos in my Corpse Party SSLP (which are all uploaded as unlisted on YouTube, so all the hits should be coming from here) got significantly more views in the first one or two updates than the later ones, but they eventually even out and get roughly the same number of views.

It only makes sense that it would be this way, though. People check out the first one or two updates, and if they're not interested they stop. But once you've been through five or six, you're probably invested enough to see it through to the end.

edit: contrary to this, the supplemental videos for my Okage: Shadow King LP (which are also all unlisted) all have about the same view count, from the opening cutscene to the ending cutscene. Boring RPG boss fight videos and the credits have significantly less, but that's to be expected because there's less incentive to watch them over cutscenes and stuff.

Hamsterlady fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 11, 2013

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

miscellaneous14 posted:

I probably wouldn't watch through it again, but the constant repetition in that Darkseed 2 longplay gave it this hilarious subtext that something was very mentally wrong with Mike Dawson (in addition to apparently being a necrophile). Like him constantly going back to Ms Ramirez house and talking to her as if he hadn't been there just an hour prior pissing her off.

One of my favorite parts of that whole long play was when the long player was loving around in the mirror maze for no reason, and after ten minutes (probably only three or four, but it felt like ten!) Mike all of a sudden says "A mirror!!!"

I think that long play would really lose a lot of its charm if it was edited down to cut all that pointless meandering out.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Five posted:

So here is a question, and I saw it lightly broached earlier in the thread.

What in the world is with face cams? I see it a lot when I watch Twitch streams that people seem to almost get upset when one isn't included, like it's become some sort of standard. I just can't personally see what the gently caress it adds to the experience though. Where did this come from? Why is it there?

It makes more sense when you consider that a lot of people aren't watching for the games, they're watching for the person playing. If you're watching someone's stream just to listen to them without caring about the game they're playing, seeing their face would probably add to the experience. Especially for people who play horror games, because when you watch someone play a horror game for the sole purpose of hearing them react to the scares, seeing them react would be that much better.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

mcclay posted:

I find that Cry is actually not that terrible, despite his association with PDP. His screwing around videos on Battlefield and the like are quite funny, he doesn't use a face cam and when he plays a horror game he actually shuts up and lets the gravity of the situation hit instead of rambling like a moron. While he does read text out loud he actually has the voice for it and he seems intelligent despite the company he keeps. His LP of Corpse Party was quite good.
Link to Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ChaoticMonki

Judging from the first video (dunno if he fixes it later), his Corpse Party LP has no in-game audio, because of the emulator he's using. I would argue that the audio is important enough to the atmosphere in Corpse Party that not having it there makes his LP of it bad by default.

He's also reading the dialog, even though the game has voice acting (really, really good voice acting, for that matter). The emulator bug with Corpse Party doesn't affect the voice overs (and to my knowledge it never did, aside from an overlapping thing that wouldn't occur as long as he lets the voice play all the way to the end with each text box, assuming he's using JPCSP). Why didn't he just go into the in-game options and turn the music all the way down, leaving the sound effects and voice on?

edit: going through some more of his videos, I would go so far as to say that this is a terrible LP, and perhaps the worst possible way to LP the game, without taking his commentary into account at all (because it could be the most amazing commentary in the world and it wouldn't redeem it in my eyes). The only upside I can find is that he somehow got in-game audio for the ending cutscene, which is good because the way the voice acting, music and sound effects come together in that scene is amazing and absolutely vital to it.

Maybe I'm being harsh, but I really love Corpse Party, and seeing it so wholly misrepresented (without voice overs all of the best scenes lose their impact (and no, his reading does not make up for the lack of the professional stuff from the game). Without music and sound effects, the scary moments completely fall flat) just pisses me off. It feels like a complete bastardization of a game I really love.

Hamsterlady fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Oct 30, 2013

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

ElTipejoLoco posted:

I don't feel strongly enough against people putting their own ridiculous spin to things to feel anything other than amused, but at least this Cry guy was whispering and tried to use inflection... Unlike Secluded Hermit's take.

Okay, I was pretty bothered by Cry's lack of in-game audio (maybe a little bit too bothered, after sleeping on it), but at least he's not this guy. Goddamn.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I really wanted to enjoy Alan Wake, but something about the camera made me unbearably motion sick after 10 minutes of play every single time, and I had to give up. It's really weird; no game has ever given me motion sickness, even games notorious for it like Mirror's Edge, but Alan Wake just completely fucks me up.

Seemed like a pretty good game, aside from the constant urge to vomit it gave me.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

quote:

I want to make awesome Let's Plays of some of my favorite video games and the new next gene games.

He's got my support. It's so hard to find coverage of the new next gene games!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Jamesman posted:

Our beloved Richard has made quite a name for himself by spamming his videos on the forum, and I believe he even failed a mod challenge.

He passed the mod challenge, actually. Aced it, even.

• Locked thread