Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Slowbeef posted:

Do custom thumbnails actually... do anything for anyone? I don't ever really regard them when I go to watch videos - I usually find what I'm looking for via search and the title.

If you subscribe to a whole bunch of people, they're quite useful. Particularly given that youtube likes to cut off longer titles, they're a quick way of seeing what it is. For me it's quicker to see the thumbnail that says GTA V 18 than it is to scroll down and read Blahblah Blahblah plays Grand Thef... and work it out by hovering the mouse or something to see the full title. Even more so if you have half a dozen different minecraft series. They're not all quite so horrible.

Even though there's a whole load of entirely unrelated things in the top one, it's instantly clear what's what. I can scroll through someone's videos and immediately identify what anything is, particularly if it's part of a series I'm watching, and I recognise the thumbnail. The second one, not so much, but since there's generally not more than one or two things on the channel, it doesn't matter so much. I know I'm not interested in Fatal Frame, so I can move on. In the third image, there's some riffing on a lovely Dangan Ronpa LP, some riffing on a lovely art game and a podcast, but the only one you can easily identify is the podcast because it has a distinct and obvious thumbnail. There's no identifying information in the others to tell me what the video is about, what game we're seeing or anything. Given that there's not a lot you can do since apart from maybe gaming in the clinton years and billymc, there isn't really a whole lot of continuity between videos with retsupurae, it doesn't matter so much. But it's still less immediately obvious.

If you're competing with dozens of other people on some guys front page, the thumbnail is the immediately visible advert that's going to draw them to your video, that guy is probably going to click on the neat looking thumbnail which tells you the episode number, the LPer and the game rather than some empty unidentifiable background or a minor characters dialogue face. You barely have to read anything to recognise a thumbnail. I imagine for the average user of this forum, they're probably pretty useless, though. Tobuscus' face will draw in 12 year olds like nothing else.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Thanks for this because this gives me an excellent example of the thing I hate:

Sure, you can instantly identify the game, but apart from that you have no idea what's the difference between GTA V Part 15 and GTA V Part 20, because they use exactly the same image!

I still watch him sometimes so I'm biased, but I'm not really sure what you want out of it. A full description in a tiny box? Given that GTA isn't a game that easily splits into mission or something, there isn't a lot of difference between part 15 and part 20 apart from the fact that one happened a couple of hours after the other. They're not as good at telling information as the actual title, sure, but those seem pretty good given the amount of space you have to reasonably show information. The NHL ones tell you which team he's playing. When that's got to replace your title for idiots who won't read things (viewers), as well as serve as an advert, it seems pretty good to me. The mindcrack ones do change with the video too. I haven't watched them so I can't tell you how relevant those images are, but I assume that they're at least partially relevant, showing a picture of what he might have been building or something in the episode.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 10, 2013

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

On that note, go watch the developer commentary for Ratchet and Clank 2 and 3. I think 3 is finished, but I haven't watched the entire thing yet. A couple of devs got together to play it through, and they talk all about how the games went together and a lot of the other people involved. I wouldn't say it's necessarily a masterpiece of humour or technology or anything, but they show off a fair bit including easter eggs and stuff. I think they even confirm what we all knew in the the lava gun upgrade was really terrible and stupid.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

TotalBiscuit posted:

I still have no idea why people watch this, but it's the only series I do where the primary demographic is 13-17 year olds. Everything else on the channel is 25-34 primary, followed by 18-24. It's also one of those games that has no story of its own so it's only really watchable if the people playing it are making something entertaining out of it.

It's still awful and I feel bad for starting it, but a lot of people like it and really wanted it to come back so, hey.

For me, it kind of fills the void left now I don't have a TV so can't watch Police, Camera, Action! or Jeremy Kyle. I'd never watch it like I'd watch a full episode of an LP or Game of Thrones, but I'd happily put it on while I was making food or something. It's just deep enough that it's not literally mindless drivel, but it doesn't require my full attention and it doesn't really matter if I miss something. I don't think there are many people who could honestly say everything they do and all the media they absorb is deep and enthralling. I'm happy to talk to someone who mostly reads or watches entirely factual history stuff or something, but personally I don't think I'd want to hang out too much with someone who refuses to look at anything which is more wacky dicking around than character building personal improvement. I think you're missing a lot if you only watch jesse throwing bombs in terraria and nothing else, but equally you're probably missing out on something if all you watch is CoD montages, or analysis of indie art games.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Looking at a couple of playlists from Jesse Cox, it looks like that effect more or less stops after the first few videos. His War in the North videos dropped pretty quickly and then pretty much hold at about a third of the views for the first video from episode 5 onward.

Do similar patterns hold for videos from smaller channels, or posted in a forum environment like SA rather than on the wild plains of youtube?

VVV Oh yeah, I wasn't thinking it would be drastically different, but I was wondering whether it being largely an SA audience whether the drop is smaller or slower than with an audience of pewdiepie fans.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 11, 2013

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Yeah, even if RT sway more to the personality fueled side of things, most of their content is hardly low effort and even after hundreds of halo videos it's doesn't get old in the same way that someone laying rails in minecraft for three hours does. Looking at almost anything that isn't literally a playthrough as LP is probably the wrong way to go about it. Jesse Cox and TotalBiscuit play terraria is more of a reality show riding on the back of a game than a terraria LP.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I know sometimes it's hard to many different ones. I remember searching for Lollipop Chainsaw LPs a couple of months after it released, and the way youtube search looked, you'd think only three people had ever played that game.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I don't find most text-reading (or facecams) particularly offensive, more just kind of pointless. A lot of people here seem to think they're the worst possible thing to happen to LP or something, but as long as they're not really terrible, I don't really care. Chances are, you're not going to be saying anything if there's text to read anyway, so I kind of don't mind someone doing it for me. It means I'm not sitting there for ten seconds a line because you're flicking through slowly. As long as you're not roleplaying ecco or doing stupid voices or something dumb, I don't really care either way. If someone is staring at a wall, it can help if they read so I know they're looking at a poster or something and didn't just stop to check their phone and not edit the pause out or something. Don't talk over anything useful (or put a facecam over a healthbar or some subtitles or something) and it's not really a big problem.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

That video raises a few interesting questions. What's the point of him being there if he's not reading the lines?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

VivaVizer posted:

At work and can't watch the video but maybe commentate on what is going on in the game?

Don't be ridiculous.

He asked my question at the beginning. It's a terrible video.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Even if I don't like PDP I can at least respect his ability to draw in an audience and play the publicity game. It's as much a stylistic issue as an objection to him himself. DSP is a terrible person who is literally incapable of comprehending what he is doing wrong while refusing to take advice about why his numbers are going bad.

Also, what is up with all the blowjob motions his girlfriend is making in that video?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Ah, I see.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Yeah, I don't think it's an act, even if it was at one point. The only explanation is that there are enough horrible people that two were able to find each other. Anyone willing to watch her videos to find out if she's as bad?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

DSP seems to just plug his camera in and upload, so it's understandable, if not really acceptable, that it got through. PDP seems to edit to put stupid subtitles for his screaming and cut out the non screaming sections. That's got to have been some sort of joke to him, right?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

When he says 8 hour DSP montage, I think this is the one, assuming there aren't multiple such things.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Lazyfire posted:

There are multiple DSP montages that break the hour mark. As a matter of fact they seem to be a subgenre of video on YouTube unto themselves. I guess that can't be too surprising when you consider that Phil's insane schedule leads him to post, in a week's time, 64 videos of just Blue Dragon, and about 40 videos of Dragon Age Origins in two weeks. You could literally never run out of material to put in those montages.

Oh yeah, I'm very much familiar with the set of videos themselves. I've watched pretty much every one of them I can find, and the eight hour one was already in my playlist. Not actually got around to starting it yet. I wouldn't be surprised if there are multiple really, really long ones.

On the DSP topic, does he actually expect people to watch everything he does? He talks like he really does think people are just going to sit there and watch hours of effectively raw footage every day. I kind of considered it originally as more of an archive sort of thing, so you might only watch one of his games over a couple of weeks and just ignore the rest, or for people who just wanted a particular game.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The problem with the yogscast is the vast majority of their gaming content is minecraft, or things that play out similarly in terms of their aimlessness and reliance on some outside influence to be entertaining. It's hard to pick out something good that will get over the style difference between what goes down well here and on youtube.

That said, I keep going back and watching this one, although it's probably much funnier with an understanding of who's who there and what's going on.

It's really, really not the sort of stuff that goes down well here, although I'm still going to defend it as a disagreement in style and taste rather than something objectively good or bad. It's not like they're screaming rape while playing video games badly, marketing towards 12 year olds and commentating through burps on camcorder.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

It's mostly okay if it's a line at the end of the video or something, especially if you're trying to do it as a job or something. It's just annoying when half the screen is taken up by DAILY VLOGS LIKE SUBSCRIBE CHECK OUT MY MARIO LP FAVOURITE NEXT VIDEO LAST VIDEO MINECRAFT EPISODE 300000 annotations.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

He's kind of an arrogant at times, and he certainly , but when your job is to talk about video games for the internet and every time you do it you get a thousand people telling you to go die, that's gotta be pretty loving horrible. It's a huge amount of stress, and it sounds like he already has other problems and that's making it far worse. I think it's hard to begrudge the occasional post like that for someone who puts up with that poo poo all day every day for doing something they enjoy or think is worth doing.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I don't think he's really capable of getting/keeping a real job. Even if he doesn't like LPing, he earns enough money to live on from rolling out of bed in the morning and sitting on a sofa playing video games badly for hours. It requires basically no practical knowledge or teamwork or anything, and against all odds, the lack of communication skills and common sense appears to not hinder this in the same way it would anything else.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Combat Lobster posted:

From what I remember he was/still is apart of a group of machinima makers that, back in the day, made some pretty alright Minecraft machinimas. They also did a TON of Minecraft custom maps LPs, and eventually they started doing blind LPs of other games on their mega-channel and their own individual channels. So basically it's all because of Minecraft.

Fun Fact: While Ubernova hasn't been retsupuraed, two others in his group have been.

Two others? I know they did ssohpkc or whatever, but I can't think of who else it was.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'm not sure how many fans DSP actually has. It seems like although his sub count is pretty reasonable, most of his videos hover at around 1-2k views at most, and a lot of those are people who just like watching trainwrecks or literally don't know any better. I can sort of see redeeming features for people like PDP and tobuscus, because even if I don't really find them funny, I can sort of see how someone screaming and shouting and showing you their face might be entertaining. It's not really to the tastes of this forum, but it's undeniable they have some appeal, even if it's not your thing. DSP really doesn't have any redeeming features at all. He can't make his failures entertaining at all and refuses to even try things like editing or scrapping something ever.

I think he just doesn't really have anyone to defend him, because everyone who watches him is equally happy to make fun of him, or doesn't venture far enough into LP to bother watching RP.

Has anyone managed to watch that 50 minutes 2014 HEY LOOK AT ME IM REALLY NOT THAT BAD video he did? Is he going to make any changes, or does he just reassure you he'll ignore the haters.

I guess now I've talked about watching video games on the internet, I need to go read some Tolstoy and watch The Artist.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 25, 2014

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Lazyfire posted:

Phil's a special case because he more or less makes money on just making GBS threads out content at a pace of like a video per hour every single day.

The average YouTube guy seems to do three videos a day of different games one day and then on day two three videos of different games, then repeat for all eternity. Most of these people sound like they occasionally have fun with games at the least where Phil seems to be some sort of mentally challenged shaved ape that can only hit all the buttons at once while making grunts and throwing rage fits when a move "doesn't come out" or something.

YouTube LPers (which is a terrible catch all term for "Non-Goon LPers")still poo poo out content with little to no editing or thought, or just dump streams, yet they have legions of fans who will defend them to their deaths on Reddit and Twitter and so on. The big difference is that Phil is constantly abrasive in every way possible while the other people generally sound approachable and seem to acknowledge their audience is their source of income. Meanwhile Phil tells people in his comments they are retarded and they should never watch him again because they use adblock.

See, I'm not sure I agree that they do no editing or anything, at least nothing near DSP level of making GBS threads. Sure, it's not practiced with trial runs, or as well edited as the MGR LP, but that guy went to the effort of grabbing a chicken suit and setting up the tech stuff to record flappy bird decently. PDP does that subtitling stuff on horror games, and does stuff like blowing up his facecam to full screen when he makes a stupid face. He does stuff like stopping to actually look around a game and let stuff happen rather than the Phil "gently caress this, run past, ignore everything and swear at the game." There's a level of technical competence that exceeds putting a camera up in front of your tv for 8 hours and plugging it into youtube, and as someone who used to watch a lot of stuff like the Yogscast or Creatures, I've never seen them repeat the same thing for half an hour because they're literally a loving moron. I'm clicking around the most popular videos of those people, and at the very least they're definitely able to edit together compilations of the best bits (for varying definitions of best), and there's stuff like switching perspectives to pick out the least dull bits of minecraft videos and that sort of thing.

Maybe I'm giving them too much credit, but there's a level of ability in terms of technical stuff and being okay at video games that's generally pretty common to most of the really big names, but obviously absent with Phil. I think of it like they're reality TV or something. Just because Keeping up with the Kardashians is about people I don't care about doesn't mean it's actually low quality. If Pewdiepie is filming a Kardashian arguing with her boyfriend, DSP is filming his mum deciding which brand of cornflakes to buy, with a cameraphone, and only managing to get a shot of her feet. There's some level of planning and preparation there, just not the kind we want.

Partly, I think it's a problem with the definition of an LP. At the top youtube levels, it's basically a comedy show using video games and personalities as vehicles and marketed to kids, although the comedy is of subjective quality. When we talk about LP here, we want a presentation of a game first and foremost, targeted at mature people who are interested in the game itself. I'd say they're pretty much two different genres just sharing a name, like comparing documentaries to sitcoms or something.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I think that LP is silly and dumb, but that doesn't mean we can't discuss and argue about both the technical and subjective quality and value of the people and videos involved. There's a lot of things that are weird and funny that are okay to talk seriously about and I don't really see why LP has to be excluded from that.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

It's really hard to get the top of the pile of crisp packets, coke cans and used tissues to stay level when you place the camera on top.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Crazy internet people are crazy internet people, sadly.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

heytallman posted:

So what you're saying is, they need to start up a Retsuprenticeship program.

I'm sorry.

e: The part of me that likes trying to make the worst video I can possibly make wants to do a video of Minecraft, Happy Wheels, Slender, and Flappy Bird all at once. With a scarecam, of course.

The scarecam needs to have a giant frame, to look more professional. You could have all four games in each of the four corners of the screen, overlapping slightly. Then overlay the cam of you in your oculus rift, face obscured, right in the centre. Be sure to wear a funny hat.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

They're juggalos, It's probably not a joke.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

ChaosArgate posted:

I don't know a thing about how Reddit works; can you get banned/probated if you break rules there?

They tend to start by just deleting offending posts, but they have banning and shadowbanning for the bad people.

I feel like it's kind of difficult to frame the entirety of reddit as the people who actively post in one thread/subreddit, or the people who moderate it (given the number of lurkers and people who just don't post in those parts or interact with those people), but yeah, the LP subreddit is kind of lovely and basically just annoying people crawling over each other for promotion. I think it's just a fact of life that anywhere that picked up on LP in the past four or five years is probably leaning to the youtube side simply because that's what the vast majority of it is.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 5, 2014

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

LPs let me see games I wouldn't have played otherwise because I can't play them, don't want to, or wouldn't have been aware of. As well as just showing the game, there's usually someone who knows the ins and outs to show off stuff I might have missed and do things I wouldn't have had the ability or dedication for. Alternatively, it might be a game I've played but want to see more of, either because I'm just not done with it but can't/won't actually play again, or because I just want to see other people tackle it. Sometimes, I just think that the LPer is interesting or funny and (sorry) I don't really much about what the game is.

It's gonna look really dumb to anyone not interested in video games, but y'know.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Box got opened, 0/10.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Jazerus posted:

I am kind of confused as to why they would prefer a format that doesn't fully archive their work over the LPs they used to do. Can anyone who used to LP and now mostly streams explain?

Streaming is really, really easy. No editing, rendering, uploading/dealing with youtube (although streaming sites aren't always great). There's no limit on how much or how little time and effort you put in, and you can just turn off and forget about it when you're done.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Subscribing definitely helps me find videos. If I'm kind of bored and just decide to go find something to watch, I can click subscriptions and find the latest videos from my 188 (I had no idea it was so many) subscriptions, all of which are things that I've picked out because they might interest me. Not knowing what I want to do and just clicking over to youtube because why not probably puts me in the minority of users, but people are definitely getting views they might not otherwise because I'm subscribing to them. Ideally you want to be part of someone's routine and something they actively check on, but the sort of people who'll subscribe because someone said to at the end of a video are probably the sort of people who aren't overly committed to that you, but might want to check back. Subscribing gets you on their what to watch/my subscriptions pages, which reminds them you exist. If you're really into a few people or you're following from an external source like SA, subscribing isn't going to do anything really. If you're the sort of person who isn't interested in watching all 749 and counting BoI episodes from NorthernLion but might occasionally watch one when bored, subscribing gets his videos on your youtube front page.

It's probably not a massive help, but given that it's really easy and pretty much universally accepted, it's probably worth reminding people to like and subscribe just because it's going to get your name thrown at them again every so often, which is better than them never finding you again. It's like the User Control Panel of Youtube.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Aurain posted:

YouTube = per view
Twitch = per ad.

Huh. I swear I always heard that youtube was per ad as well. I guess I can enable adblock when watching phil videos without feeling poo poo about it.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Lazyfire posted:

Phil worked for Sikorsky helicopters for a number of years according to what he's said. You would think someone who worked for a United Technologies branch for any length of time would have more sense than to become the KING OF HATE (please don't say bad things about me!) but here we are.

Did he mop the floors or something? I'd have thought that if whatever he did was actually relevant to sikorsky, either it would have been a desk job which is probably more or less interchangeable with playing video games in terms of the stress on his back, and if it was something more physically stressful, he would have a level of experience, contacts and references which might allow him to do something more worthwhile than playing video games badly for the internet.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'm not really sure LR is something that's fast paced enough. There are 133 videos and it's basically all just JRPG stuff, which isn't necessarily quite so obvious and funny in failing as spending half an hour trying to stack barrels because you didn't read the jumping tutorials. Also, you'd have to watch loving 25 hours or something of him to pick the good bits, rather than maybe 5-10.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

They do seem to be pretty on top of copyright issues and network news if that's something for you, but its usually limited to discussion about how it affects their ability to monetize all half a dozen people who care about their videos, so not much use beyond he headlines.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The knock on effect of the cash grabbers being the best known is that their audience is mainly younger people. It's not just that people who do lets play, to many people, are screamy idiots - in fact, I think that fact itself is probably the lesser issue for a lot of people. I suspect that for a lot of people, it's just the fact that it's video games (a known waste of time and corruptor of the youth) being watched on the internet (see video games), aimed at 12 year olds.

For specifically mega64, that might be less of a problem since it's sort of a dumb nerd thing anyway, but more generally, it wouldn't surprise me if there were some people who'd want to avoid LPers simply because idiots playing video games for children to laugh at is just a bit beneath them.

I think a lot of the time in this thread, we overestimate the amount people outside the "scene" actually know about LP. I'd be pretty surprised to learn if there was a significant portion of people who are in any way aware of what actually comprises any LP (beyond it being those minecraft videos their little brother watches) but aren't actually people who'd watch it. I know people who'd call themselves gamers but would still look down upon the very concept of LP before watching anything. It literally doesn't matter whether it's rape jokes, entire videos of unedited camcorder nonsense where no progress is made, or the most informative thing in the world, because the vast majority of people who don't take part in the gaming community just know that for some reason, their little brother really like watching people play minecraft on youtube.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Roar posted:

I would like to think that it's fair to say that the majority of LP fans are age 20+.

I'm honestly surprised there's any kind of adult following for any of the more entertainment/personality based LPers, although maybe I'm giving people too much credit in assuming grown ups would be more interested in, at the very least, reasonable production values and a certain level of non-idiocy.

Every child I meet, be it my little brother, my cousins, kids of family friends or whatever, seems to be able to instantly connect over a discussion of who they watch playing slender or minecraft, whereas I don't think I've met anyone at university who didn't just get sort of confused when they discovered I watched video games on the internet.

Is my experience the exception? A lot of the discussion here treats youtube LPs like their main audience is made up of adults, whereas the vast majority of the LP audience I've encountered outside this forum are literally just children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

inthesto posted:

The false premise here is the people in question giving the first poo poo about what the audience wants or delivering quality content. Dudes just want to get paid for playing video games.

When the audience's idea of quality doesn't extend much beyond starring a youtube personality exaggerating their personality traits, I don't think they really need to put too much thought into quality and audience.

• Locked thread