Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

frozentreasure posted:

Another part of that DSPositive video showed him in one of the Souls games; I think Demon's Souls. He apparently tried level grinding and the game punished him with a PvP boss that was also level 90. That went over pretty well.

I think 4chan was actively loving with his Demon's Soul attempts in an organized manner, with people intentionally keeping around his level range and invading in areas where he went.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Aurain posted:

DSP is actually quite accomplished at fighting games in that he's not as bad at them as he is at everything else, he's largely complacent with his gameplay and as we all know, all too happy to blame his mistakes on "lag" or "cheap online tactics". At one point in time, /vg/'s Fighting Game General members found out he was streaming Street Fighter 4 and /vg/ decided that they would get in on that and beat him a bunch to make him quit for the night. DSP ended up beating practically all of them several times.

I wonder how much that contributes to his attitude about other games. Being well above average in fighting games is pretty hard, even if you're not in the highest top tier of players. Maybe he assumes he'll be automatically skilled at all the other "easier" games genres too, and then trips over the fact that all new things have a learning curve of some sort.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Microsoft is apparently doing a thing that certainly has implications for Youtube LP's:

NeoGAF: Microsoft to offer 3$ per 1000 views if you promote XBO

While it's not exactly exclusive to LP's, it definitely qualifies as a large company taking proper interest in youtube gaming content and meddling with it for their own monetary gain. It'll be interesting to see if we'll get some big name youtube LPers making some very pro-Xbone content thanks to this.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

What, why. How does he have 2 million subscribers. :psyduck:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Ugh, gently caress you for actually giving me a reason to sit through 10 minutes of mr. parrots-are-not-actual-birds. :saddowns:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

DialTheDude posted:

I'm hesitant to include this because it's a gimmick, but goddamn is it one of the strangest gimmicks I've ever stumbled across on Youtube that can't go without mention.

Drowning video game characters in every game where it is possible to submerge them

It's kinda fascinating (read: scary) how dedicated the guy is to it, with even WarioWare of all games being included on the list.

Pretty sure this is a weird sexual thing for them.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

slowbeef posted:

Submitted for your approval:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTtpLmZwJ0s

Markiplier. Discuss.

Markiplier is the one LP'r that my Youtube recommendations really want me to watch, based on the SA LP's I watch.

It is painful to have his face all over my youtube front page all the time.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Kytrarewn posted:

I'd actually be interested in seeing a discussion of what made people get into watching LPs.

Retsupurae.

I used to loathe Let's Plays as a concept, and I was pretty thrilled to find a channel that was exclusively about mocking bad let's plays. My line of thought was that "This is so dumb, why would I want to watch anyone play a game, when I could play it myself?" and basically all the previous exposure I had to LP's was the Youtube stuff. After I had exhausted all of the retsupuraes on the channel, I was content starved and watched all the wrongpuraes. Then the LP's like Dead to Rights. Then RP stuff by Chip and Ironicus, then their LP's...

Eventually I caved in and got a forums account. That was one hell of a slippery slope.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Jamesman posted:

You're not watching for the game anyway, man. You're watching for the people. That's why we have facecams. Facecams that get bigger every day.

One day we're just gonna have videos where it's nothing BUT facecam. You're just watching people react to the video games that may or may not exist offscreen.

Aren't those just vlogs, which are already pretty popular as is?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

gatz posted:

Uh, for context, DSP blocked me for sending him this message:

I was speaking about this forum post of his:

What a positive fellow.

Fairly sure that he's just completely incapable of empathizing with anyone not-him, and equally incapable of admitting anything being his fault.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Even if PDP is familiar to people, I have a hard time figuring out why people would prefer watching him ramble over jump cut footage instead of a trailer/gameplay video/preview from an official source.

Because he's funny. :downs:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Have thine own respect, go not yonder knocking for nothing, I say!

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

slowbeef posted:

How many parts of this experiment do you think you'll be doing?

Here's hoping long enough to witness the gibbering madness slowly set in, with increasingly agitated and incoherent posting as the days go by.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I'm a bit curious how people here feel about this question:

Would you either watch over 200 videos worth of DSP, or or 200 videos by PewDiePie? Which one do you think would be worse?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

unfair posted:

The only time I've seen PewDiePie is on the Polaris main channel - he's done some videos gaming with other people and seemed pretty competent. Is he really not on his own channel? I ask because it feels like a lot of what people say about him is secondhand.

https://www.youtube.com/user/PewDiePie

His channel is the single biggest channel on Youtube. It beats even the official youtube channels.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I think that would require 10,000 hours of effort.

But since this is DSP :effort:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

slowbeef posted:

this one guy is like "no they're bullies, no mercy, they deserve everything."

To be fair, this is a pretty common sentiment with internet vigilante/script kiddie-types.

Only thing that makes this case notable from SA LP's point of view, is that it happened to someone DSP related.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

RSCNyx posted:

I wonder if those huge LoS prompts show up in his everyday life.

I can't imagine how he could be this bad with daily life stuff. He would need assistance to function like a normal person.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't think I'd believe him even if he came out and said "DSP was all a joke! I'm really a nice guy who's good at video games and bathes! You all got trolled!"

How many people have tried to pull that bullshit to try and save face? Even Chris-Chan himself made a video like that once.

In the case of DPS, that kind of a reveal would just be swapping one disorder for another, really.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

slowbeef posted:

I've heard as far as subreddits go, /r/letsplay isn't actually soooooo bad - they actually reject scarecams and do require some modicum of quality. Baby steps, I suppose. (But it does have a lot of problems with people going in to promote their poo poo.)

Being promotion-heavy seems to be a bit of a general problem for the site. I used to check their roguelike subreddit at a point, but recently it's been flooded by people plugging their kickstarters, greenlights and LP's.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

RSCNyx posted:

I don't know if it works. Personally, I have a headache because he keeps talking in low whispers and the sound is literally driving me mad, but hey, we reached the next evolution in LP: LP therapy.

All I know is my headphones are replicating the sound of him smacking his lips and tongue with such accuracy, that I had to close the thing out of disgust fairly quick. Sounds like that REALLY get emphasized when everything else is real quiet.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

What the hell is going on there. :stare:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
is this the point where we start dredging up retsupurae fanfiction?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Roar posted:

Maybe if he were less of a useless twat he wouldn't have trouble getting more subscriptions / ad revenue. Just a thought.

But that would require him admitting doing something wrong and actively doing something to fix it. And these are not going to happen, basic DSP 101.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

a cartoon duck posted:

My favorite dark souls thing is people talking about shields, a central gameplay aspect, being a crutch and you're a scrub if you use such weak-rear end moves like blocking.

Dark Souls 2 has the new game stat, Adaptability, that increases things like how fast you drink Estus or how well you roll.

The amount of times I've seen people call it a useless stat because those things are a crutch makes my head hurt. :psyduck:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Andrast posted:

Well, if you just played perfectly you wouldn't need the extra invincibility frames. :smug:

It's still a drat dumb and slippery argument to make.

Health is a crutch if you play perfectly!

Stamina is a crutch if you manage it perfectly!

Str and Dex are crutches, because better weapons and damage are useless if you play perfectly!

Basically if you're not SL1 you might as well not play because you're not good enough for this perfect game series. :smaug:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Testekill posted:

Better than google.

I'm just glad that Google isn't buying up all the streaming services and forcing us to stream on YouTube only.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
In a rare moment of self awareness, DSP acaullt apologizes for raging at a videogame and his audience.

I don't even know what to think. :psyduck:

Attestant fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Aug 28, 2014

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Golden Goat posted:

What did he do to realize he has to apologize? Did he kill someone on camera?

Apparently this outburst: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytZ3cRKh054

Context is that he finished Dark Souls 2 when a lightning based build was very strong in PvE, but was later heavily nerfed. And the boss itself is a reskin of an earlier boss, that he had major issues with.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

slowbeef posted:

I don't have my headphones with me, but does his entire chat just consist of people mocking him?

Mostly mocking, though he's not really raging at them either. Just against the game and it's developers.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

The concept of forums quite possibly doesn't occur to a lot of people.

Forums are kinda old fashioned at this point, I'd imagine. Most people are more familiar with terrible comment fields and various instant messaging, I bet.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Angry Joe is pretty much the only person from that site that was smart enough to basically go solo on YouTube, while the others clinged on that horrible blip based site.

He's done really well after that, and I kinda gotta respect him for it.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I was looking for this image a while back and couldn't find it. Thanks! It's kinda funny how the entire TGWTG and Channel Awesome just slowly burned out and is basically dying off at this point, I could've sworn there was a time where it seemed like it was pretty up there in terms of popularity.

It was pretty popular for a while, and helped define early nerd video review trends.

However the site launched around 2008, and the vidoes themselves were Blip.tv based. Unfortunately for them, 2008 was also when YouTube really started to take off. YouTube became the internet video standard, while Blip.tv kept getting worse with more adverts and shittier tech all around. This is why I think that Angry Joe was smart to move on YouTube around that timeframe. Then the TGWTG-site started to curl up inside it's own rear end with the dumb crossovers, continuity and content bloat, and they kept losing key people to dumb drama (Spoony, etc).

Combine that with the growing popularity of YouTube based vloggers and LPers, and you get the barren wasteland Channel Awesome is now.

(edit) I used to spend far too much time watching their videos back in the "good" old days. :saddowns:

Attestant fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Apr 9, 2015

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

CJacobs posted:

:allears:

The person who described their occupation as this is great. If you describe yourself as a 'wise guy' you are in fact not a wise guy.

Honestly, I wish I had enough self confidence to describe my occupation(s) like that.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

SelenicMartian posted:

SEPHIROTH: i literally blew up the whole solar system
CLOUD: what are you smoking
- @ffvii_blazed

Usually I can't stand stoner humour, but that twitter is a work of art. :allears:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Someone should use a facecam while painting or something.

?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

TaurusOxford posted:

It was funny because Cerulean86 is mocking DSP's commentary when he plays fighting games (which is pretty dead on), and DSP being DSP, doesn't notice this at all.

DSP would probably pick a fight with recorded and edited sound clips from his own videos, and not get what is going on.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

paradoxGentleman posted:

I am not at all weirded out that FNAF's characters have videos like these dedicated to them, but I am somewhat peeved that whoever made them felt the need to turn them into generic anime girl #3741

It's mostly because the people making these don't have any actual talent with 3D modelling or animation. Rather, they're using some terrible generic anime doll animating software, which is very limited in the stuff it can actually animate. So the best they can do is texture swap some existing anime girl in to whatever colours they want.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I forget, did ForeverPandering turn out to be TotalBiscuit?

No, he manages to somehow be even weirder instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Why does GTA:SA even have a Mature rating in the first place? Is it some post-Hot Coffee stupidity? :allears:

• Locked thread