Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
This particular Youtube Let's Play of TimeSplitters is kind of special to me. The LP is about two years old, unfinished, and the last sign of life of Youtube user MyCatIsGo. But what makes it so special is not just him and his nerdy, nasally voice, but his so-called friends co-commentating who basically make the whole thing come together. The LPer is kind of unfunny, annoying, and a bit of a dick and tells his co-commentators to shut up a lot, so the co-commentators don't hesitate to make fun of him and the game. There are only seven short videos of the LP, but you really only have to watch the first three parts to witness the LPer get more and more fed up with his possibly stoner friends and their lovable antics. Without them, this would just be another bad Let's Play.

It kind of still is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
I could've sworn DSP said "I don't know what the United Kingdom is" instead of "I don't know where the United Kingdom is". Even he can't be that dumb, right?

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
Yeah, I guess it's basically undisputed now that Sips is probably the most entertaining of the group. Hell, he's the only one who's video I watch regularly. He's informative as he is funny, and even when he doesn't know what to do, he at least catches on quickly enough. It's a nice change from most of the crap on youtube. He might as well be the anti-DSP.

His Airport Simulator video is really interesting for a video of an otherwise boring and lovely game.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
You know, from all the things I've heard from people unsubscribing from DSP because of his awfulness, it makes me wonder what made them subscribe to him originally in the first place. I mean, I don't even know how long he's been doing this but I take it he hasn't changed at all from when he started. I just don't get how his antics can be entertaining to some people for them to even consider clicking subscribe and following him just long enough unironically.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
You also can't mention Sjin without mentioning his amazing Let's Build videos. Even if you don't like Minecraft, you have to admit, he's pretty drat good at building neat projects.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!

I whole heartily agree.

also, semi-:nws: for manly physique.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!

Mr DJB posted:

Red is not leaving Pallet Town.

Of course they skipped the name input screen too, I bet. That would've been a lot more embarrassing.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!

NeilPerry posted:

Sometimes you need a separate thread to contain the anger so that real discussion threads don't devolve into DSP/CTRL+ALT+DEL chat, so maybe make a genuine retsupurae thread somewhere.

It's in GBS.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!

Attestant posted:

Pretty sure this is a weird sexual thing for them.

Funny you mention that. Some time ago while looking for video content of a game I really like, I found a youtube channel that described itself as a "Gyaku ryona" related channel (which means something like, gay abuse or dominance or something) where all the videos would be of fighting games with no commentary or anything but they would be focused on the big muscley characters grabbing other male characters, some would just be of win or lose poses, and some of the characters would be customized to the point where they'd be wearing almost nothing. Basically every video had "(gay orientated)" in the title.

It was funny as it was scary. I mean, what he likes is his own business but ya know, to each their own I guess.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
If anyone is going to mention QDC, I think it should be known that this was the best thing they ever done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1YzliVN29U

Now THIS is how you do a speedrun!

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

If you can't take 2 hours of your life to go out on a real date with someone...

And I don't mean you personally, of course. But who does dates over webcam, while streaming and then save it for posterity?

Creepazoids, lonely nerds, or at least the dangerous combination of the two. My question is: Who the hell would be willing to watch the entirety of this?

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!

Phantasium posted:

Hah.

Atlus tweeted this sometime earlier today.

Later on, I see they've put up this message on Facebook.

It gets better:

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!

The commentator is a little too quiet, I can't really hear what they're saying most of the time. Particularly shy people wanting to get into video let's plays should probably practice speaking before doing live commentary.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
There's nothing odd about that. There are quite a few streaming communities which have multiple streamers that take turns and such. There was one in particular I used to visit called DEEP GAMES which had quite a few and there were open applications to join as a streamer available. The community itself was pretty toxic though, so I'm not sure if they're a good example.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!

Patter Song posted:

Slowbeef: since you and Diabetus are now RPing terrible video game Kickstarters, can I call your attention to this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wargirlgames/my-little-dictator-a-battle-visual-novel

(Non-pony-related, despite the title)

It's one of the most horrific things I've seen and it met its funding goal.

With a name like "My Little Dictator", I was expecting it to be more like this.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!

IceAgeComing posted:

Dr Eggman is having a meltdown about the superpsyguy news.

What the gently caress does that even mean? Is he trying to be insulting or did he get possessed by the devil?

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!

gatz posted:

Can I get some context to all this? Who are we upset about?

Apparently the guy who voiced Dr. Eggman has stooped to an all time low and needs to defend pedophiles in order to feel important.

TheMcD posted:

Llanfairpwllgwyngyll (Llanfair for short) is a town in Wales that had its name artificially inflated to Llanfair­pwllgwyn­gyllgo­gery­chwyrn­drobwll­llanty­silio­gogo­goch in order to set some sort of record. Why the gently caress it's used as an insult (I guess?) here is beyond me.

Maybe because he thinks he's "random" or something, as if that's even a remarkable trait.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
We already have Youtube Let's Players appearing on TV, radio, and movies. At this point, they might as well replace all celebrities in the future. When going to a prestigious acting academy, one of the first classes you'll attend will be on what wacky slurs to shout when playing a bad flash game for the internet. Let' Plays will be played in theaters in full 3D as blockbusters and be sold on Bluray. The future is here, the future is now.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!

:staredog:

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
I think what makes LPs with text reading worse are the ones with fictional names, or even common names and words for that matter, that the LPer can't pronounce. Case in point almost every Mount & Blade Warband LP I've ever seen where the LPer pronounces 'denar', as in the Macedonian Denar for example, as denYAARGHs. The constant adding of imaginary consonants and exaggeration of syllables is absolutely annoying, it's probably almost about as bad as people doing "funny voices" over flash games.

This LP is around 90 videos, but he sums up the LP in episode 2: "Oh nevermind that's just me talking out of my rear end again *raspberry tart*"

Captain Sheepy fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Dec 22, 2014

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!

Unfunny Poster posted:

So apparently I missed a whole ordeal in which DarkSydePhil got banned from his own website by his mods over some disagreement or something?

How.....how is that not at all surprising?

Someone please explain this in full detail, my curiosity is killing me!!

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
The Persona 4 Soundtrack was a good choice though, I think. When I had the video on when I was drawing, I forgot all about the actual video and just listened to the music until DSP started talking again. Then I just looked up actual P4 OST videos.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
What's great about Youtube comments is that if the particular let's player has enough e-popularity and one were to leave a negative, let alone "trolly" comment, at least no less than a dozen fanboys will come out and throw a hissy fit at the OP in defense, not that the YTLPer in question even knows or cares.

Of course that sort of happens anywhere on the internet, but Youtube comments especially.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
I used to have Rainbow Six Rogue Spear videos on my channel and one of the videos took place in the Kosovo level where I had comments featuring political bickering between Serbians and Kosovans. It's funny because that's another reoccurring theme among video game videos where I once saw a Civilization V video where someone was playing as Washington and oddly enough people were talking about communism in the comments.

I don't get it, isn't that what places like D&D are for? Why Youtube Let's Play comments?

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
I watched the "This is how you don't play Resident Evil 4" video and saw him die to the first enemy and it kind of got me thinking. Why is DSP like how he is? How can a human being sincerely act like a one-dimensional embodiment of ignorance and mindless wrath? With the camcorder, the whining, and the constant failure, you would almost think of this as some sort of parody or joke, but it's not. It's almost cartoonish, it can't be real. Did he have a bad childhood or something? Maybe he has some sort of complex? I just don't know, I don't think I'll ever understand DSP much like anyone else probably can't.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I remember on Windows 98 when Solitaire was considered a T rated game. Times have changed :smith:

I just wish the M rated Minesweeper game wasn't cancelled.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!

ChaosArgate posted:

I dunno about bad childhood but he told one story about it where he begged his parents for a toy, called them stupid when they said no, then bitched about it when he did get it for his birthday the next year.

Wait, that actually gave me a terrible thought: Maybe DSP wasn't weened from breast milk until the day he moved out of his parents house and is why he acts like such a baby all the time. Because if he was a spoiled brat then, chances are good he's going to be a spoiled brat now.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
I thought his review for Warband: Napoleonic Wars was good, even liking the acted bits in costume. It wasn't really an "angry review" as he was rather joyed to be reviewing a fun historical multiplayer DLC expansion.

But then that's really all I've ever seen. In the recommended videos on the side there's always that review of Soul Calibur V he did where the thumbnail has him looking rather upset at Ivy's breasts. That alone was enough to make me not watch anymore of his videos.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
Dave_o and the Ensos, always chilling on the infinite couch.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
"Hey goons, I have diabetes" is still probably one of my favorite lines to open up a video tbh

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Link? I need to hear this.

May you be forever enlightened!

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
Someone I knew for a few years now some time ago started doing a Minecraft Youtube LP troupe with some folks he met somewhere. They never seem to get any views whatsoever, which is a shame since they work really hard editing a lot of their videos, which I guess just goes to show how saturated that whole Minecraft LP field is. It's really nothing that anyone probably hasn't seen before a hundred times already, but they're alright people.

Funny enough when I talked to them (the one I knew) about it, he kind of refused to call "what [he] does as a 'let's play' of any sort." I kind of thought that was interesting and I think I can kind of understand what they mean. Would be doing random gently caress-around video series with your friends really count as an LP? Even regardless still, he's pretty enthusiastic to be making videos whenever the subject comes up, so I guess they're just happy to be doing this for fun, which is more genuine than probably anyone else on Youtube doing the same old dead horse Minecraft videos.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
I suppose you're right! Though, I guess it also can't be helped that Let's Play will always be one of those things where everybody may have a different definition of it. Just something I thought was interesting.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!

Golden Goat posted:

Let's Play - Videos/Screenshots where a person/group commentates/screams over their gameplay

How is that for a definition of Let's Play?

Good enough for me, I suppose!

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!

bobjr posted:

Isn't the problem with Minecraft LPs that you just run out of stuff to make videos on? Unless you're really good at building stuff at that game, but after a while it just seems like every minecraft lp turns into "Watch me talk about something else while I walk around collecting basic materials.

Kind of the opposite really. With mods, custom adventure maps and what have you, you'll always have something to do videos with, so it's a never ending cycle of gently caress.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
There's only one dog named Francis for me.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!

bobjr posted:

Have the mods really improved that much? I don't pay that much attention but I never saw any mods that weren't just the same thing in a different package or the same bland combat mods.

It really doesn't matter, if it's a slight change, it's still technically "new content" meaning that hasn't stopped anyone from making new videos gaining a poo poo ton of views. The more popular Minecraft LP channels are pretty evident of this. The YOGSCast even have it better: you could have a different member do videos of the same mod or map or whatever, and people will watch it even still. Not to bury their name though, they are at least better people and still 10x more watchable than a lot of these other bland, characterless Youtube channels.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!

Golden Goat posted:

Why is he dumping ice cold piss on himself?

To me it looked like chicken noodle soup for a second.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
Here's a six hour LP video of two people putting together a jigsaw puzzle in real time.

You can thank me later.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!

Capt. J. Linebeck posted:

I'm going to assume you knew it was an April Fool's joke, and you're not posting this in here to say "Heh, who would do this?".

Well yeah, I mean "April Fools" well jokes on them, they literally did this for six hours for the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
Frankomatic was the first LPer I ever saw and I remember hearing he used to post here. We follow each other on Twitter too, he's a really great guy.

Captain Sheepy fucked around with this message at 13:32 on May 24, 2015

• Locked thread