Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I don't know why they'd start you off on Embodiment of Scarlet Devil though. I would've started with Perfect Cherry Blossom or maybe Subterranean Animism, both of which are a lot more fun. Also, the games get a lot more interesting in the later levels - the first few are generally very easy and are meant to just ease you into the game, but the difficulty curve spikes sharply around level 4 in most Touhou games.

Also, oh god slowbeef focusing is important look up the controls or something. :psyduck:

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

NinetySevenA posted:

Is there any truth in these posts?

I don't know how skipped ads work, but the average revenue per thousand ad views is somewhere between $0.50 and $3 after Youtube takes their cut, so that would be 0.05 to 0.3 cents per view, and a single ad is what on average, 30 seconds? I think Google uses some kind of brokerage system where advertisers can decide how much they want to spend, so actual numbers depends a lot on the kind of channel you are...

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Hey, if Deceased Crab can LP the exact same game twice, why can't you?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

There really isn't anything wrong with wanting to do it over if your first time didn't go so great, or just if you want to do something cool and new with it the second time around. I think it's a little weird to just do over an LP that was fine the first time around though... not, like, morally wrong or anything, just a little strange.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Call me crazy, but I liked the first La-Mulana LP he made. The 10 minute thing was a bit, y'know, but that was just how we rolled back in the year of our lord 2007.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I haven't watched his remake ones, but La-Mulana is one of those games that expect you to get lost and stuck repeatedly, and solutions to puzzles can be far removed geographically from the result of solving them. As a result, if you know what you're doing and you're trying to solve the game as efficiently as possible, it's going to look like you're just constantly doing strange stuff all over the place and then puzzles turn out to be solved somehow. It's really hard to give hints in video form for La-Mulana. You're probably better off just asking someone for hints to specific puzzles...

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Eligible or not, videos that long are skippable so that's just what people are going to do. What's bizarre isn't so much that you can do it, it's that someone decided it would be a good idea to do it.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I suppose that makes sense for products you might have encountered in other contexts. I'm not so sure on the "30 minute Let's Play as interstitial ad" thing, though...

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

slowbeef posted:

Don't worry, he made a video explaining why he did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3pG5Avrmus

Keywords: "Do good stuff, Robin Williams, Toby turner, Tobuscus, I love you, Rip Robin Williams"

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

BlueDude posted:

He's done this before: I think one time he called Ridley "the Retsupurae guy"

I'm pretty sure he's straight up referred to Ridley as "slowbeef" on occasion.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I feel like there's a huge unresolved plot thread here. What happened to giant hand man?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The whole reason for the voice commentary is to be... commentary. If you're just yelling random words about nothing in particular that's not nearly as compelling an experience than talking about the game and what you're doing. Facecams are sort of like the former, but with little real capacity for becoming the latter. I think the main thing about them though is that they've become a hallmark of low-effort, appeal-to-young-teenagers LPs that focus more around the personality than the game itself. It's a heuristic for low quality rather than a cause of low quality.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

TheModernAmerican posted:

Why is it so bad to have an LP about a personality, rather than the game?

I think it's just not what the kind of people who visit SA are looking for, by and large.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Dias posted:

About face/full—body cams, and I'm aware it isn't exactly a LP: The Excellent Adventures of Mike Ross and Gootecks does it right, mostly because their format is conductive to it. It's a group of pretty good Street Fighter players goofing around online, and since you have to wait for games anyway, they cut to the couch cam while they argue about whether or not Mike is godlike. Of course, it works better if you actually have a personality.

I think that's the kind of format that really can work, but it depends on actually being funny/interesting and having a group of people who are all engaged enough to contribute (I've seen some "couch LPs" with five or six people involved and two of them just never say or do anything, which is pretty crappy). It comes back to the heuristic thing... most Youtube facecam LPs have bad facecams indicative of a deeper problem, and so facecam becomes a warning sign in any LP. For what it's worth I think if your LP has a format that works well with that sort of thing or is good despite it, then most people will be able to look past that initial warning sign in fairly short order. If there are no signs of that, then I guess you'll get blasted for it.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Oct 5, 2014

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Suspicious Dish posted:

I watch LPs with funny personalities like slowbeef, Diabetus, Psych, the Posse' (someone please help me make that fancy e', it's not on this phone), the Coffee Drinkers, those guys who did that movie about Office Space I can't remember the name of.

I don't know what that last one is, but none of the others fall into that category as far as I'm concerned. Plus, y'know, they have actual personalities and say funny poo poo. About the games, mostly.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Suspicious Dish posted:

Find me a single Possé (thanks frozentreasure!) video that has actually focused on the game at all.

That's the one I didn't know. I am selectively blind and said "the last one" despite the fact that there were more of them after the parentheses which is totally on me. Your mileage may vary.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Dinky video games have been a natural extension of merchandising for years now. I guess they figure this has more appeal to that particular demographic than lunchboxes and action figures.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I've said this before, but Game Grumps would be way more watchable if you just cut Arin out of the equation. I get that what I'm saying is wholly unreasonable, but there are so many videos where like, Danny or whoever is talking about what's happening in the game and making relevant jokes while Arin is busy making fart jokes and weird noises.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I think part of the thing with Arin is that sometimes, he just doesn't seem to be very engaged with the game itself, so he hasn't got anything relevant to say and doesn't really seem to want to make an effort to approach it, either. At that point, his go-to schtick seems to be to become a howling, Sandleresque maniac and it's just obnoxious and not very funny. To me, anyway. I guess it's fair enough to not be invested in everything, I just wish it didn't all devolve into monkey noises when that happens.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Brits tend to think I have an American accent, for some reason. I don't know what Americans think. I'm not, at any rate. But I swear, most people from my country have the most atrocious accent ever and it's instantly noticeable.

Also, the thing that always gets me about Psychedelic Eyeball is the way he hasperates hevery word that starts with a vowel for some reason. Is that typical of French Canadian accents?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Danaru posted:

Also French Canadian swears are lame :colbert: step up your game, French Canada

The only French Canadian swears I know are the ones raocow uses and I've been told he swears like an old person.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Hey, I don't know, I ain't the one saying it. I don't know poo poo about French Canadian swears other than that they're all Catholic terminology for some bizarre reason. :shrug:

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

"British" consists practically entirely of RP, Cockney, and Hobbit.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I mean, it can still be (and is) a problem for my potential enjoyment of his material. Doesn't have to be a problem for him, or any of the people who do like him, or a problem in the larger sense at all.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Surely there has to be a healthy middle ground somewhere that's more "It would be cool to chat with this guy at a convention or something" and less "I'm going to secretly move into this guy's apartment complex and pretend I don't know him, forming the soil in which our destined relationship can bloom". :stonk:

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Do ten year olds see car insurance ads on videos, though? Targeted marketing has become creepily effective lately, especially once you remember YouTube is owned by Google and presumably have access to their data. It's plausible that the ads they are seeing are for, I don't know, video games and Spongebob paraphernalia.

Buying ad space is frequently a losing proposition anyway, though. The only inside knowledge I have is from the video game business, but basically you buy clicks at a loss hoping the influx of users will generate a second wave of organic users. If you find that your CPI is less than your CLV, then you're basically printing money and you should spend as much as you can on marketing right now because you'll only profit from it (until the market is saturated), but in my experience most companies are nowhere near that point.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 16, 2015

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Also while I'm here, slowbeef's complaint about the meteors in Flame Core being completely undodgeable reminded me of this fantastic moment.

Oh my god, I knew this game was complete rear end but that just takes the cake. It's beautiful. :allears:

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

That's the kind of poo poo that ends up getting innocent people swatted, harassed, stalked etc. Internet detectiving is still bad for all the same reasons regardless of what the severity of whatever the target is accused of is.

e: ^ basically that. The last thing you want when there's a criminal accusation going around is for a crowd of random assholes to decide a guy who's actually unrelated to the crime did it and plaster his personal information on the web and/or go for a "little visit".

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 17, 2015

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

HMS Boromir posted:

Hey there La-Mulanites! I'm Deceased Crab. Huzzah!

Yep, pretty sure it was this one for me, too. Might have been one of ProtonJon's videos, too, though.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The White Dragon posted:

My first one was Beef and Diabeetus's Super Metroid. I tried to go back to it, but unless they kept the raws and reuploaded them somewhere else, it's kinda hard to go back and watch it even though I really enjoyed it back in 07 because the resolution of online video was just so bad and we barely knew it.

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKYOr4Fw5Ck

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The only criteria to join is being white and hating jews/communism. Same reason you have British Nazis or French Nazis.

The nazis were obsessively concerned with lineages though, so not all whites were okay with them. Anglo-Saxons and Normans are Germanic, and thus superior. The same can't be said for Slavs (or, presumably, Celts, which makes French nazis a little strange too), which were decidedly un-Germanic and thus inferior. Oddly, they considered some Slavs to "actually" be Germanic tribes and thus okay. It's... no one's ever accused nazi racial ideology of being anything but hosed up, but you kind of have to wonder sometimes. Also, for some reason, Tibetans were considered awesome because they believed Tibet was founded by Aryans.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 11:59 on May 28, 2015

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I'm really not sure what issue people are having, exactly? "Don't show AO-rated content" seems fairly cut and dry to me. I mean, come on, you have to assume the people making the calls aren't complete idiots or rules-lawyers. They're not going to check what version of the game you're running so long as the actual content you're streaming isn't over the line. As far as I'm concerned they're just cleaning up their rules in a way that makes sure any future AO-rated games that come out are also covered without them having to go through this stupid treadmill every time. Handling each game separately every time it comes up is impractical in the long run.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

To be fair he at least tried to give reasons why some games evoke a more visceral reaction than others and why Hatred really isn't one of them, so that's some content that isn't just a restatement of something else. I don't know if he made the point very well, though. Either way, Hatred just looks like a pretty bad game, or at best fairly unremarkable. I guess the greyscale-with-spot-color look might appeal to some.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Really I think it's that what people are actually looking for in an LP isn't entirely straightforward to articulate, so people tend to fall back on "it should be about the game" as the standard explanation, even though it's clearly not the entire truth and ultimately probably not a great explanation. That being said I don't know how to explain it. I feel like there is a qualitative difference, but damned if I can put it into words.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Really I think for me the point where I lose interest is when the player seems to just not care about the game at all. As if the game is entirely incidental to what's going on. Whether or not I'll watch is still up to whether the LPer is doing something interesting with it or not, and a lot of that is personality, but if all I wanted was variety comedy I'd be watching a panel show or something. Make the game part of it one way or another, yo. I guess that's why I find Game Grumps so insufferable... half the time it seems they just don't give a poo poo about what they're playing and just want to make fart jokes.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The only places on there you can discuss anything is in subreddits that are too small for the votes to do anything and/or that are narrow enough that there aren't a lot of controversies. But I mean, eh, just don't even try. Use it to find relevant links to things you're interested in, and/or cat gifs, and leave it at that. Find somewhere else to have conversations. Other than that, the fact that it's a massive site where anyone can get an account in ten seconds and there are way too many subreddits for anyone to keep track of means you're going to run the gamut from decent to knots of undiluted :wtc:. Thankfully most of it is just dumb and not directly offensive.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

To be fair Snakebird gets ball-bustingly hard (perhaps not at that particular point, but) and I still haven't beaten all of it, so thanks slowbeef. :argh:

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

They're not wrong... song covers are derivative works, and only the original copyright holder has the right to produce derivative works or grant permission for others to do so. In the United States you can get a compulsory license, but that involves paying royalties, so that puts you back in the same revenue sharing boat.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

It's not that GEMA won't allow it, it's that they're basically trying to extort Youtube for music streaming royalties way in excess of what Youtube makes in revenue in the first place, forcing Youtube to ban access entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

So what does this mean if Steam goes belly up tomorrow? Does my massive catalogue of singleplayer games that use Steam authentication count?

• Locked thread