Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

various cheeses posted:

Explain.

Also why do people think Bob knows the Terminus crew from somewhere else? They probably just got to know each other briefly before being herded into train cars.

At no point does it ever come up though. He never acknowledges them in anything other than a few general remarks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

VDay posted:

Aren't you the guy that was weirdly aggressive and called people "loving idiots" when they said that the crazy girl was obviously the one who was feeding the rats to the fence zombies?

I might have called you and other posters stupid and I was wrong about the crazy girl, but hey at least I

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing

SocketWrench posted:

At no point does it ever come up though. He never acknowledges them in anything other than a few general remarks.

It's kind of funny how we assume the cast is so generally dimwitted that one guy is good with names and it looks like a plothole.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons

moist turtleneck posted:

I'm not good at church stuff but this seems like a nice easter egg

Thank you, I noticed the verses but couldn't do a screen cap when I was watching.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Crows Turn Off posted:

Yeah, I agree with you. The bite itself doesn't cause you to turn, but it leads to a quick infection, fever, organ failure or whatever else that does cause you to die. We don't really know.

I'm just saying that "the bacteria" isn't the thing that kills you.

Yep. Romero rules.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

SocketWrench posted:

Remember everyone screaming about no character development? Now here's a prime example of that and he's a "played out trope".

A trope isn't inherently negative, nor did I indicate that Tyreese's characterization is "played out." In a show with a large cast, the writers are inevitably going to depend on familiar roles. The "gentle giant" is arguably playing on some pre-existing racist assumptions, but at least Tyreese's arc provides some depth to his character.

His mistake of letting Terminus-guy live solves one problem and creates another: Carol can justify her violent action in the prison (Tyreese didn't act and now Bob's a burger); and Sasha can blame Bob's death on Tyreese.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

various cheeses posted:

Also why do people think Bob knows the Terminus crew from somewhere else? They probably just got to know each other briefly before being herded into train cars.

Personally I was just confused and thought he knew him because of how much he talked and taunted him instead of being like "oh hey we're eating that black guy* we missed eating earlier, small world lol"

*I don't see people in terms of race but Im talking from the bad guys POV and assuming he probably does cause he's bad. If it were me I'd just be like "oh hey DeAngelo from the wire I'm gonna eat you now, haha."

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Personally I was just confused and thought he knew him because of how much he talked and taunted him instead of being like "oh hey we're eating that black guy* we missed eating earlier, small world lol"

*I don't see people in terms of race but Im talking from the bad guys POV and assuming he probably does cause he's bad. If it were me I'd just be like "oh hey DeAngelo from the wire I'm gonna eat you now, haha."

what is this

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Austrian mook posted:

what is this

Garreth is racist? Or Eviltobaccoexec is.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

MariusLecter posted:

Garreth is racist? Or Eviltobaccoexec is.

I think Eviltobaccoexec was very clear.

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Thank you. Clarity is my business, and business is booming

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Naet posted:

A trope isn't inherently negative, nor did I indicate that Tyreese's characterization is "played out." In a show with a large cast, the writers are inevitably going to depend on familiar roles. The "gentle giant" is arguably playing on some pre-existing racist assumptions, but at least Tyreese's arc provides some depth to his character.

His mistake of letting Terminus-guy live solves one problem and creates another: Carol can justify her violent action in the prison (Tyreese didn't act and now Bob's a burger); and Sasha can blame Bob's death on Tyreese.

I'm not saying you did, just that no char development has been a bitch point for some people constantly through the series. Then when we have development that continues and makes sense, now it's some sort of bad thing that's just too over used. The writers of this show cannot win with the goons here. When they do a good job people bitch, when they do a bad job, people bitch, and most of the time about poo poo that was explained but they couldn't pay attention to the show

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

SocketWrench posted:

The writers of this show cannot win with the goons here. When they do a good job people bitch, when they do a bad job, people bitch, and most of the time about poo poo that was explained but they couldn't pay attention to the show

Tviv.txt

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Bob will live and be the group's token amputee, except he won't gently caress it up like Herschel and get a peg leg instead of crutchin around

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Parity warning posted:

Bob will live and be the group's token amputee, except he won't gently caress it up like Herschel and get a peg leg instead of crutchin around

Bob is going to be lucky to last the next episode. Let him go.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Scapegoat posted:

Bob is going to be lucky to last the next episode. Let him go.

"There just going to kill off one of the greatest TV characters of all time"-- some loving goon. Can't wait til Bob pulls the sword he fashioned himself from his peg leg and kills all the cannibals and shows you what an idiot you are. T-minus 25 hours.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Parity warning posted:

"There just going to kill off one of the greatest TV characters of all time"-- some loving goon. Can't wait til Bob pulls the sword he fashioned himself from his peg leg and kills all the cannibals and shows you what an idiot you are. T-minus 25 hours.

They already killed Herschel. An arguably more awesome peglegger.

Bob is hosed.

StickyNavels
Apr 3, 2009
I really enjoyed season 1 of WD but everything I've seen beyond that (bits of S2) has been poo poo. Is the show good again?

StickyNavels fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Oct 26, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

StickyNavels posted:

I really enjoyed season 1 of WD but everything I've seen beyond that (bits of S2) has been poo poo. Is the show good again?
Yeah, for now. The series has had its ups and downs, but there have been really good episodes here and there, and so far this season is pretty sweet.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The cannibals' dialogue seemed to attach real significance to eating Bob. I wonder if he'd originally had a larger role in the breakout, and that had been cut.

The eating scene was effectively done, but a poor fit with the scenes it tied into. TWD has had real problems with this before. Herschel describing Carl as "murdering" that kid is the prime example - they seem to prefer an exciting scene over one that makes sense within the narrative.

Also why would you eat the closest thing to a doctor you've met? Especially one who wants to help. They're going to feel awfully silly when flu season comes around.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Bob didn't take a bath after jumping into poop water zone. That leg was probably full of parasites and nematodes which made it delicious.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

StickyNavels posted:

Your problem was enjoying season 1. To this day I don't get why anyone likes those first few episodes.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

They really oversell both the potential, production, and scope of the show.

You see what they did with Atlanta and it feels like we're going to see a dozen people dealing with the whole world gone to poo poo. (Instead of just spending way too much time with the same six people in a handful of locations.)

The first episodes introduced new people, killed old and new people, and cycled locations frequently. It set the pace that S2 torpedoes hard.

moths fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 26, 2014

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

moths posted:

They really oversell both the potential, production, and scope of the show.

You see what they did with Atlanta and it feels like we're going to see a dozen people dealing with the whole world gone to poo poo. (Instead of just spending way too much time with the same six people in a handful of locations.)

The first episodes introduced new people, killed old and new people, and cycled locations frequently. It set the pace that S2 torpedoes hard.

There's a lot to critique about season 2, but if you watch it as a self contained kind of zombie movie with a slow burn (and some really stereotypically dumb zombie movie moves) I don't think it's too bad. The realities of changing production between season 1 (which I feel for its relative dynamism has some of the most cloying, baldly emotionally manipulative stuff in the entire series) and 2 and the kind of weak writing throughout the show aside.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Naet posted:

And, as someone mentioned before, Bob would be a real fuckin' bastard if he didn't mention, "Oh, Terminus? Yeah, we probably shouldn't go there." Or, if he was there prior to Rapeward Tattooman et al, he might've said, "Oh, Terminus? Those folks are cool. We should go there!"

Maybe terminus didn't exist at that point? He could have met the group that used to reside there before they created it.

I hope bob survives and I hope they incorporate gareth into his backstory some how. It would be cool and that's all this shows writers seem to care about.

Catsplosion fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 26, 2014

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I haven't followed the behind-the-scenes stuff super closely, but I thought part of the problem with season 2 is that it was produced while there was a continuing struggle for who would be the actual showrunner. I know the show has cycled through a lot of them for its run and maybe I'm mixing my timeline up, but it would explain how from episode to episode the show couldn't seem to decide if

a) Shane was a troubled guy who was going to get his poo poo together and maybe he's not so bad / SHANE IS A MAD DOG AND A DANGER TO ALL AROUND HIM AND NEEDS TO BE TAKEN DOWN
b) Herschel is a good person at heart but is not handling the zombie apocalypse well / CRAZY OLD MAN GONNA DOOM US ALL, ALSO HE'S RACIST
c) Andrea and Dale hate each other / Andrea and Dale make up? / Andrea hates Dale / They Make Up / Now Dale's Mad at Andrea! / No they're fine / ANDREA HATES DALE

I know there was the whole "Darabont loves the actor playing Shane" thing and I can imagine there may have been similar things going on considering how they wrote Dale out at the end of the season. But yeah, even more than 'stuck on a farm forever', the fact that the show seemingly couldn't make up its mind about any major character development on the farm was even shittier.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

A straight watching of Season 2 today actually smoothes over one of the biggest problems people had with it: that the slow-burn, atmospheric story took a loving year to tell. It's not bad in a DVD or Netflix binge, but it's a miracle people stuck with it as long as they did.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

moths posted:

A straight watching of Season 2 today actually smoothes over one of the biggest problems people had with it: that the slow-burn, atmospheric story took a loving year to tell. It's not bad in a DVD or Netflix binge, but it's a miracle people stuck with it as long as they did.

Season 2 gave us Hershel, Hershel's magical shotgun, the well of wonders, the barn of horrors, and Otis. You bite your tongue with anything bad about it.

xxEightxx fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 26, 2014

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Catsplosion posted:

Maybe terminus didn't exist at that point? He could have met the group that use to reside there before they created it.

I hope bob survives and I hope they incorporate gareth into his backstory some how. It would be cool and that's all this shows writers seem to care about.

This would actually be really dumb.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

xxEightxx posted:

Season 2 gave us Hershel, Hershel's magical shotgun, the well of wonders, the barn of horrors, and Otis. You bite your tongue with anything bad about it.

It was really really bad.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
They doubled the length of season 2 so AMC could make more money, which is why it feels so barren. They already had a season long arc planned out and they had planned for Shane to die in the finale so they just sort of keep hitting the same notes waiting for the season to finish.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
When they doubled the length of the season they also cut the budget since Weiner got a big raise in contract renegotiations for Mad Men. Every other show had less money to work with as a result; it's also probably why the giant slate of lovely reality shows got produced.

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My gf just got into walking dead recently after living under a rock so after we got done s1 I gave her a season 2 'speed run' that was pretty enjoyable for us both. Her only caveat was to see anyone dying or having sex plus what I thought was important in regards to character development. It went something like:

Full episodes 1,2,and 3 -> Netflix ff through ep 4 * pause for Glenn sex* -> ff to pregancy test result -> skip to barn scene -> skip to Rick wasting those philly dudes in the bar - > Rick and Shane fight - > full episodes 12 and 13.

I also paused everytime Shane wasted water and whenever Andrea grabbed a handful of his cock somehere in there.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Edge & Christian posted:

a) Shane was a troubled guy who was going to get his poo poo together and maybe he's not so bad / SHANE IS A MAD DOG AND A DANGER TO ALL AROUND HIM AND NEEDS TO BE TAKEN DOWN

There was no way Shane was gonna last. The guy was losing it the moment Rick showed up and was tempted within the first few episodes to shoot him. Every episode Shane got a little goofier till he completely lost it. Even without the Popeye/Bluto love triangle around Lori Shane would still have to go. It was just the matter of who was going to kill him and when.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mexcillent posted:

Your problem was enjoying season 1. To this day I don't get why anyone likes those first few episodes.

Did you binge watch it, or watch it live?

This matters.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

a cop posted:

It was but it was hilariously bad, like most Nick cage movies.

Surlaw posted:

This would actually be really dumb.

Hahahahaha. Like this show already isn't.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

a cop posted:

I found that if you fast forward through all the Rick/Lori or Shane/Lori scenes, it holds together a lot better on Netflix. I also liked the Otis/Shane scenes. That made him out to be a conflicted guy willing to make sacrifices/hard decisions to prioritize who he cared about, rather than the out and out psychopath he was by end of the season.

I will say, the great travesty was the patheticness of the T-Dog supercut.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jf7OW5c5Xg

13 episodes, and the man gets less than 5 minutes of dialogue. I think, only appearing in 3 episodes in season 3, he had more dialogue/screen time.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

LadyPictureShow posted:

I found that if you fast forward through all the Rick/Lori or Shane/Lori scenes, it holds together a lot better on Netflix. I also liked the Otis/Shane scenes. That made him out to be a conflicted guy willing to make sacrifices/hard decisions to prioritize who he cared about, rather than the out and out psychopath he was by end of the season.

I will say, the great travesty was the patheticness of the T-Dog supercut.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jf7OW5c5Xg

13 episodes, and the man gets less than 5 minutes of dialogue. I think, only appearing in 3 episodes in season 3, he had more dialogue/screen time.

I was always irritated by how little they used T-dog. Its been great watching this more diverse cast.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

When they doubled the length of the season they also cut the budget since Weiner got a big raise in contract renegotiations for Mad Men. Every other show had less money to work with as a result; it's also probably why the giant slate of lovely reality shows got produced.

But they still havent axed Comic Book Men WTF :vince: :vince: :vince: :vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I wouldn't be surprised if Kevin Smith does Comic Book Men for free just to stroke his ego

• Locked thread