Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Episode was good because of the character development.

Episode was bad because of literally no plot development.

Like, could there have been any middle ground at all? They could have ended the ep with any positive progress having happened and I would have been very satisfied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Irish Joe posted:

The only way this could get any worse is if Rick, Carl and Michonne board a sentient train.

just replace the kids with zombies and I truly don't understand how that wouldn't rule.

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This show has not been and will never be an amazing show with amazing writing.

It will never be "grounded in reality" or philosophical or whatever the gently caress anyone after 4 season still for some reason expects it to be.

What it is, is the only good zombie show on television and one that has better production quality and is more interesting than (sadly but truly) I'd say 80% of television currently airing. Especially since Breaking Bad just ended and especially because Game of Thrones usually doesn't run simultaneously it's often the most interesting action drama on it's air schedule (which, again is sad but hey).

This thread used to be really funny because the show had dipped into a slum of rancid quality for a few spans of episodes over the past few seasons but it usually doesn't stay awful that long and when it's decent, as I've stated it's pretty cool if you don't try to stack it against what? The loving Wire? Certainly better than most of the bullshit networks are pumping out these days. That makes this thread being a constant bitchfest really, really withering, like it's been 4 seasons and that finale coupled with the sum of the decent to good episodes previous to it has made this show pretty enjoyable these past few weeks. The bandit scene was super tense then metal as gently caress, we've explored a lot of character motivations and throughout the season developed several of the flat ones significantly, plus we've finally reached terminus and even if it's a cannibal cliche (zombies to begin with are the ultimate goddamned cliche so why complain?) I'm very interested to tune in next season to see how Rick puts his money where his mouth is.

My point being, if you didn't enjoy this half season then just..I dunno watch something else it's almost definitely not going to get much better and since it's not "awful" by most television standards comparing it to some kind of imaginary self standards that the show itself has never lived up to just comes off as weird entitled and contrived whining for it's own sake. It's certainly not funny or interesting which make all the posts ironically worse than the show itself.

e: response not to immediately recent posts, but the general theme of the last few pages and majority of the entire thread

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Austrian mook posted:

well yeah having them be rapey evil people is dumb and they "were" morally ambiguous and interesting aside from that?

E: What "was" said about Michone's shirt at the end of it all, because I really can't remember.
Being contrary to a point while proudly ignoring conflicting evidence then stating you don't actually remember the details at all?

Thread Epitome.

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Austrian mook posted:

Except that's not what I'm doing at all? I'm saying that they missed out on a good chance to make interesting characters and just made them evil. Idiot.
They, a roving band of apocalyptic bandits were always going to be evil. There is nothing morally ambiguous about rape, or senseless violence which are the the very first themes the gang were introduced under and this never changed at any point. They were proud sociopaths and admitted that they didn't fit into civilization when it did exist. Thier ambiguous code? gently caress you got mines? Yeah that was a real game changer. Rules don't actually equal morals as it turns out.

As others have stated they were interesting despite not being what you wanted them to be because they were a new perspective into a much different society than we're used to. However it was so barbaric and simplistic it didn't really have legs to last that long especially when they picked a bone with the main character.

I guess if I lacked basic comprehension and formed a head canon based off it then I'd be upset when it didn't come to life as well.

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
One thing I found interesting is that no one even bothered 'claiming' michonne by which you can assume this gang rape process is so routine and automatic for them everyone just knew they were getting a piece anyway, except for the chubby pedophile who was just doing what I imagine he routinely does as well. :barf:

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
http://youtu.be/-6BsMzc9mMs

http://youtu.be/Q9aM9Ch97U8

Bad lip readings of TWD are pretty magical.

Daryl: Hey I get it man, dolphin ain't the same as an apple

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
JBTW a Season 1 rewatch after so many years is good as gently caress just for the whiplash of how fast the plot actually moves. You also get to laugh hysterically at how quickly random redshirts get wasted to zombies for no reason at all. Especially Andrea's sister (made funnier by how sad it makes Andrea because gently caress her) whose literal last words are "there's no more toilet paper??".

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

moths posted:

It's kind of more grotesque when you realize that he managed to destroy that guy's brain with his bare hands, after presumably punching his guts out.

I love that he's horrified of the violence he's capable of. Have they established his pro football background on the show yet?
Literally right here

PaganGoatPants posted:

Surprise motherfucker.
I played football for a championship team and that is a pretty loving form tackle right there lol.

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
^^^ This too

Borrowed Ladder posted:

I definitely don't think Tyrese killed that guy, which is why he wouldn't let Carol go in the cabin.
This is going to be the new "they aren't cannibals".

He didn't "not let her" go into the cabin, I'm re-watching the episode right now and it's not "panicked" like the one guy said it's a calm, resigned "don't bother" in response to Carol assuming she'd have to finish the job like she used to have to. You can even appreciate it from a narrative perspective since it brings the episode full circle from Carol killing the walker and I can't to no, Carol I got this I can.

Him not killing the dude would be super awful TV writing and this episode fired on all points so why assume the worst?

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Calling it now, gum guy kills Sasha directly or indirectly and brings the unnecessarily drawn out arc full circle when Cutty actually kills him( the kill part might not actually happens since he's proven to be so loving bitchmade) . The writers will actually think it's clever too is the sad part.

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Blazing Ownager posted:

For all the bitching about the writers this season has been great so far if they can keep it up.
If seasons two and three were literally half the amount of episodes the Walking Dead as a whole would be in my top 5 favorite TV dramas of all time, but even as is it's top 10. It's really a great show and doesn't deserve half the vitriol it gets in this spergfest we call a thread.

That being said I really dislike how they've handled Tyrese. I know I have no right to speak on how he should or should not have been characterized but I personally feel he just isn't carrying out a coherent narrative. I [personally] just get the feeling they're more in love with the irony of "it's a huge tough looking guy that hates violence, wacky!!" than a character that makes actual sense (not saying he's wrong for holding onto his humanity but after 2 entire seasons he should have become slightly dynamic by now..). The scene where he's like gently caress life I'm depressed and lets himself get surrounded by 100 zombies (how did he survive this again?) jeopardizing the mission to save the entire prison + not caring about how his sister would feel about his death, and the recent one where he not only doesn't slay the baby killer, but actively refuses to allow Carol do so (for what reason??), make no goddamn sense no matter what angle you're looking at it from, zero.

I just think he has so much more potential.

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Naive goons believe that they can have a thread on the *internet for a show that has 15 year old plot spoilers and remain unspoiled.

A plague of spoiler avatars being purchased for the most frequent posters in those threads serves as a reminder that you can't.

* this is the key point here, really you can't, not get spoiled on Game of Thrones being on the internet at all, I read the entire book series after getting spoiled on season 2 by someone's Steam name during a Dota 2 match...

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I do think that there is a lot more hate for this show in this thread than it deserves, but I gotta be honest and say I have no idea how anyone with a decent exposure to television over the past couple decades could put it in the top 10 dramas of all time. I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, I'm just genuinely curious why the show earns that in your eyes. I think it's entertaining and I tune in every week because there isn't really any competition for that timeslot right now, but imo the show doesn't have enough depth to be considered anywhere near one of the top dramas of all time.
Well, I said my top 10, for context and in no particular order here's my top 10:

The Wire
The Sopranos
The Shield
Breaking Bad
True Detective
Game of Thrones
Fargo
The Walking Dead
Boardwalk Empire

I may be forgetting one or two really good shows I've watched but the last spot would be a show I really liked that got bad towards the end like Dexter or a show that started off really awesome but lost my interest in later seasons like Homeland or Justified.

I don't watch much TV, but I like what I like v:shobon:v

I was also in love with zombies before the fanbase became so giant and insufferable (28 days later and Dawn of the Dead '04 are some of my favorite ever movies). Ok, maybe not before but I don't actually think they're A Real Possibility like some nerds do.

edit: for that matter I'd love to know your top 10.

Amateur Saboteur fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Oct 23, 2014

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Fair enough, like 6 or 7 out of those 10 would be on my list too. I was just curious what about the show really connected with you, since so many people slam the writing endlessly, but liking zombies a lot would definitely make it a contender. Nothin' wrong with that.

edit: My top 10 would be something like:

Sopranos
Breaking Bad
The Wire
Twin Peaks
True Detective
Rome
Hannibal
Mad Men
Deadwood

My tenth pick would probably be Fargo or Boardwalk, but my guilty pleasure option is Spartacus.

And I'm sure there are tons of people that would question my list too. Hopefully I didn't sound like I was coming after you or anything, I just honestly don't hear many people say Walking Dead is one of their favorite shows. Most people I know either just tune in because nothing else is on, or hatewatch it so they have something to talk about.
I forgot about Madmen! And no, I didn't sense any animosity in your post, but I'm glad you did do your list because it reminded me that Rome was something I wanted to check out.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Me? I just want more post apocalyptic shows. I would TOTALLY tune in to Mad Max the series or even a TV version of Fallout.
This is extremely unlikely after what happened with Revolution, it's funny you mention Fallout though because watching that show all I could think was "this would be so much better as a video game".

Amateur Saboteur fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Oct 23, 2014

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My gf just got into walking dead recently after living under a rock so after we got done s1 I gave her a season 2 'speed run' that was pretty enjoyable for us both. Her only caveat was to see anyone dying or having sex plus what I thought was important in regards to character development. It went something like:

Full episodes 1,2,and 3 -> Netflix ff through ep 4 * pause for Glenn sex* -> ff to pregancy test result -> skip to barn scene -> skip to Rick wasting those philly dudes in the bar - > Rick and Shane fight - > full episodes 12 and 13.

I also paused everytime Shane wasted water and whenever Andrea grabbed a handful of his cock somehere in there.

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

precision posted:

It would be great if the people who took Beth, for once, are not mustache-twirling villains.

At some point that is going to get old. Hell, it already is old, Gareth was ridiculous (and not in the good way) and I'm glad they nipped the Termite story in the bud.
It's really funny when people accuse the Governor or anyone who came after him of being a "comic-book villain".

I know you didn't phrase it like that but I've seen it a bunch and it makes me wonder if people are actually willfully ignorant of this show's source material.

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lycus posted:

I thought Gareth was fun. *shrug* "I'm being a human being here, Bob!"
He was fun, and funny, and entertaining.

His arc was short and sweet and his demise was rewarding as hell. Plus his motives were relatively sound for all the poo poo he gets (this is the same thread that praised Joe the "ambiguous" rapist with code; 1) "the world's hosed" is a good enough reason to be evil alone with no semblance of any moral accountability or criminal justice system in place anymore 2) dude was jaded as gently caress from seeing his Mom train raped several dozen times by people he tried to help 3) he acquired a taste for eating dudes, not that hard to believe in this scenario.

edit: realization I was using a dumbass video game term.

Amateur Saboteur fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 30, 2014

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The only thing that can be scientifically proven is the inverse relationship between this show's quality and the posts in it's SA threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm with the rest of you guys, I'm just really not buying this whole "Terminus is full of cannibals" angle.

I mean think about it.

• Locked thread