Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

6 or 7 months have passed since the end of season 3, Jesus :stare:

Well yeah, feed plants all the Miracle Grow you want, they ain't gonna spring up like that in a month.
I think it was established last season that winter was getting close, hence why they weren't going to leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Scooter_McCabe posted:

I can't believe I tuned in for this horrible poo poo. Seriously between "I'm dead already woman," "PTSD cliche red shirt black guy" and "coughing boy" there was little to be enthusiastic about. I was immediately angry at hand waving away of Carl's descent into a child soldier's mindset. "Oh cool I get to read comics now," and Rick taking up the simple life of farming with a loving IPOD.

Where the gently caress do you get an IPOD in a zombie apocalypse and how do you keep it charged? Then came the hand waving of Rick and Carl's psychological problems because its nothing that 6 months of farming and reading comic books can't cure? Then of course there is the helicopter. I couldn't tell if it was a Blackhawk or a Jolly Green but how would anyone believe a big hunk of metal like that falling out of the sky wouldn't collapse a roof of a lovely convenience store upon impact? Better yet how did the zombies get on the roof? They couldn't be from the chopper because they would be all mangled up from the crash. Did the survivors lure them up there with the boombox? Sure why not lure them onto the roof to aid even more weight because a crashed military helicopter is not enough.

Given that they likely scavanged Woodbury, and Woodbury had solar panels, and that the prison still has generators that run, it's not that far a stretch that someone can find a way to keep electronics charged

I'm not sure about the chopper, depends on how far up it was, I assume, since it was a camp area I have to imagine it crashed taking off or landing with people on board. It's not like a 747 crashing here

No More Heroes posted:

The producer on Talking Dead said 6-7 months. Also- the sneak peak of next week they showed on TD with the mysterious person with a flashlight feeding the fence walkers during the night, I bet its Carl, at the beginning of the episode Rick busted him saying he stays up all night reading comics by flashlight :staredog:

But to what end?

I'll bet it was the girl naming them and claiming they were still people

TOOT BOOT posted:

There was an interview on CNN where they said theyre making zombies more of a threat but that they're not doing fast zombies. I hope they have plans other than having redshirts die to zombies.

Well, they hinted early on in the episode the walkers weren't fanning out anymore, and you could see them grouping in places while Carol mentions having to stay on top of killing them off. I imagine it'll be overpowering en mass in multiple places at once

rivetz posted:

Also I think folks are totally overreaching on the dead-Millhouse stuff. Zombie somehow infected that pig, Millhouse got it from the pig somehow (betting we'll learn one or both somehow next episode), and now the water can't be trusted, one more reason they have to leave. I don't think the bloodshot eyes is anything beyond "hey here is a zombie with bloodshot eyes, [later] see this dude? His eyes are bloodshot because he's a zombie now

Yes, but as we've seen in the past, they don't focus on the same zombie over and again without there being something there.
I too think it had some disease that killed the person off and has managed to spread it through interaction with the fence killing brigade.
It wasn't the disease that killed Millhouse, it was the fall from passing out

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 14, 2013

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

The Human Crouton posted:

If the makers of this show cared, then yes, they could have done that.

I thought they were debating on doing away with the livestock at the beginning of the episode kinda sorta because of the disease exchanging. This was kind of a kill two birds one stone deal.
Though if the fence team had actually been out there doing their job, this likely wouldn't have happened anyways

Hollis posted:

Well we still haven't had a ominous character show up yet. So as soon as that happens we'll know.

Also, what the gently caress happened to the town of Woodberry(Sp?) , I mean i watched the finale but did they take everyone or are there still people living there?

Oh look, it's the new "Who turned the alarms on" of the season

Blazing Ownager posted:

Seriously I've said it before but if the Gov flipped out in the tombs because people wouldn't leave a zombie-infested, tightly packed hallway to get shot, and shot them there (where they'd be jammed in like sardines) it would have made so, so much more sense.

But he didn't flip out there. Where he snapped was when he stopped them and they argued and refused to go back, that's when he snapped and wasted them. Up till that point he was going to try attacking again.

If you're gonna slam the writers over it, at least have the damned poo poo right before you do

Darko posted:

They at least TRIED to do the "how can a zombie invasion start in a small enclosed space when the first person who screams would alert everyone" by having the zombie go for the actual kill and cut off the actual scream. But, yeah, it was a little TOO transparent for me, too.

I dunno, it's not entirely unbelievable seeing that the neck and head were the exposed flesh. It might just be when you're still they go for places they know are alive like flesh vs tearing through clothing/blankets/what have you.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Oct 22, 2013

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Blazing Ownager posted:

I know he didn't flip out there. I'm saying that would have made INFINITELY more sense if he had.

In otherwords:

Scenario A (What happened in the show):

- Gov Attacks
- A-Team Violence begins (Everyone purposely missing everyone)
- People freak out and run away with exactly one casualty, thanks to Carl
- People refuse to go back in a big open road spread out
- Gov manages to one handedly kill everybody and goes "Welp!" and wanders off, with his guards not doing anything about him going insane
- Our four heroes set off to assault an entire town to their knowledge, leaving behind several key fighters.
- They find the massacre.

Scenario B (What I was talking about)

- Gov Attacks
- When the Woodsbury people make it out of the tombs they lose a couple getting gunned down by Glenn & Maggie
- They begin refusing to leave the Tombs, which are infested with zombies behind them
- The Gov can't make them move out, and is getting overrun from behind, so says gently caress it and blasts them all, in a close quarter hallway
- The Gov and his guards run the hell off, Rick's group finds the lone survivor and realizes what happens
- Our four heroes set off what they now know to be just three people.

My whole point was moving his freak out to "while under fire in the battle scene" would have been a thousand times more logical than just having him kill his entire armed army single handed in a calm open road. It would have made his retreat make far more sense and generally fixed the whole thing, in my opinion. They could have played the scene almost identically, but by moving the events, it clears up the vast majority of plot holes and silliness caused by the order they did it in. (Yes, I count Rick & three buddies assaulting what they thought was 30+ people that they just went out of their way not to kill, just scare, with no knowledge at all of what happened on the road as a gaping, massive plot hole.)

What we got felt like a bunch of tourists got ran through a haunted house, scared a bit, and then immediately started pulling a Monty Python esque RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY! I don't know, I think it'd been far more dramatic on top of more logical if he had just killed them when they refused to listen to the attack orders, instead of the way he did. It'd even given them more reason to trust the Woodsbury people, given they just watched so many get gunned down by their enemy.

Yeah, it could have gone that way, maybe. But still wouldn't make any more sense than out in the field.
Of course them running simply wasn't the straw that broke, it was their refusal to listen to his dictatorship, not running from the prison. When the people, as a group stood up against him, that's why he broke.
Killing them all in the field is no more realistic than somehow shooting them all in dark hallways in a prison.
His guards, of course won't do crap because they're loyal cowards that just found out he managed to kill Merle, the supposed badass of all of them.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 22, 2013

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Dr. Abysmal posted:

This is probably the conclusion that characters on the show might make, one of the previews did show Tyreese punching Rick. However I'd be a little surprised if any of the important/long tenured characters were responsible. If you narrow that down to people who would know about the sickness that leaves Bob, the other doctor (the children called him Dr. S and he's appeared on screen for like 2 minutes), and Sasha. I'm not sure if Sasha would murder her brother's girlfriend so signs are pointing to mysterious stranger Bob.

Rick wouldn't be able to do this. It's not in his character to regardless of his standing as a main character.
I'm thinkin' it's the boozer, myself

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

TOOT BOOT posted:

I think you are the only one that understood what they were going for there. Two good episodes in a row but the show is still terrible at getting its point across.

I think that whole thing is kinda terrible at pointing out just who could be guilty. The door is hinged on the left, regardless of which is your dominant hand, opening it with your right would just be awkward.

The thing that got me in this episode is the whole water thing. They're sucking water from that little stream and it seems not boiling it and storing it in open containers...in Georgia, mosquito land. Not to mention the possibility of a few walkers sloshing through that stream, that looks like disease central in itself.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This remains the best idea I've seen:

...aircraft carriers are out because of complexity. It doesn't matter if you find a guy who can run the reactor, and have him teach the next generation, the power plant will eventually need refueling. The better idea would be to get to where one of the Iowas are moored as museum ships if you wanted to go over the top. They might be giant diesels, but most of them are still seaworthy thanks to a lapsed Congressional edict, and I'd assume most of them are still mostly analog in regards to control. Easier to find a guy who knows diesel engines, even if he'd have never worked on something as huge, the principles are the same.

16 inch battery fire on a horde, that would be awesome

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

zoux posted:

I used to work with a dude that had two prosthetic legs and I had no idea for like months and months because he always wore pants. He had a slight limp but I was shocked to learn he was missing both limbs below the knee.

And the show has shown Herschel limping a bit when he's really gotta move. I mean it's almost like they have to spoon feed the audience again.
I bet they cut the leg off the mystery person that turned the alarms on last season and managed to attach it to Herschel. That's it. They used thread from Andrea's gate ramming suit after she drove the zombie delivery van

Fog Tripper posted:

Oddly enough the town the governor ran didn't have that issue, much less the "~*psychological implications*~".

- Entire small town manages to keep walkers out, live in relative bliss.
- Single person manages to fend off walkers from an entire town block solo, lives a bit disturbed because of son's death.
- Group of seasoned walker fighters cannot manage to secure a prison with double fences, guard towers, fortified cell blocks, captured humvees, fully automatic weaponry, fresh recruits... because "reasons".

Bad planning seems to be the majority of it. Note how they don't seem to have scheduled fence guarding or anything. Add to that disease hasn't been a thing anywhere before this except Andrea getting the flu. It's almost like the situations aren't the same in one way or another
Plus we already know Woodbury has been overrun in the past by the Governor's own words. We just haven't been shown all their problems, nor Morgans because the show focuses on Rick's group. So while it's clear the others have huge failings too, they're easier to ignore because we're not following their stories

quote:

We are talking about a foe whose skull becomes less durable than paper mache mere moments after turning. If stepping on a fresh walker's skull results in a rotted cantaloupe effect, I imagine a collision with a car may have a favorable result. Unless you are manufacturing drama and are not very interested in continuity.

We already saw the results of running over zombies...the results were far from favorable in any sense of the word

Mexcillent posted:

It's that simple. Someone, within in the prison, for some reason (and I don't buy that it's dumb little kids, I'm pretty sure its a Woodbury/Governor catspaw) is taking down the external defenses of the prison.

Yeah, that makes total sense. Rather than a girl feeding things she names and thinks are just pets to toy with, it's the Governor risking his life by scaling the fence after making his way past the hordes to feed them rather than just, I dunno, running a goddamned truck full of zombies through the fence again. Why yes, your theory makes so much more sense

V I wasn't arguing their skulls don't turn to mush, but that running them over is hardly a good idea. It's almost like piling corpses up underneath a vehicle stands a good chance of lifting the drive wheels off the ground, kinda like getting stuck on snow banks in winter

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 3, 2013

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

foxatee posted:

I could almost buy the whole "Governor inside job :ninja:" idea if you considered that the Governor left with a couple of people. Not every person from Woodbury went with Rick. However, wouldn't other former-Woodbury folk recognize infiltrators? :shrug:

I somehow doubt others that decided not to go with Rick would go for the governor given they were all informed how he mowed down their loved ones and friends. I seriously doubt he'd be stupid enough to send former residents in too seeing the rest of the Woodbury crowd there, not to mention that person is endangering all their friends/family by tempting an overtaking of the fences.

I mean, for it to work it would have to be someone no one there would know that has no ties or affiliations to anyone in there which a former Woodbury resident is sure to have

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Oh look, rick found some hippies

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Tim Whatley posted:

I don't wanna be that guy but even if you decapitate the zombie isn't it still gonna keep biting and poo poo?

Yeah, but it'll be a slight less mobile

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Toriori posted:

"I have to ask you three questions.
How many walkers have you killed?
How many people have you killed?
Did you know the amazing financing options and mileage you can get in a Hyundai?"

"Did you know 15 minutes can save you 15% on your insurance for that Hyundai with Geico?"

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
lol, go fatty go!

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Mooseontheloose posted:

to be fair, I would probably be suffering tons of PTSD during the zombie apocalypse too.

I was waiting for it while he was driving. Like had flashbacks because his convoy hit an IED or something and goes ape behind the wheel.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Bjay9 posted:

Lotta people in here hating on the Ricktatorship and he's not gonna be okay with that. :colbert:

Well, lots of people want to see him go Clint Eastwood western gunslinger sheriff like he was in that bar. Somehow it isn't development to see a guy tasked with upholding civilization have leadership thrust upon him and slowly wear him down till he's broken and now has to rebuild himself while hitting barriers along the way trying to break down what little progress is made. It's just development if you started out as a pussy no one cared about and changed into someone rambling on all the time about doing what ya gotta do including shanking people and making poor descisions (irony since that's what people hating on Rick are citing) after being completely useless for three seasons.

Stairs posted:

Can Rick honestly say he isn't responsible for what happened when he refused to listen to anyone about the guy tied up in the barn that subsequently led to triggering a loving Hoard that then eliminated the Farm and killed people?

Wait, what? What happened there was Shane going nuts over time because he wanted Lori and Carl and couldn't have them and was forced to be human in the zombie universe leading to him trying to kill Rick, that's what turned the horde to the farm.
I'm all for placing blame where it's due, but people need to stop this remembering poo poo that didn't really happen the way they post it did

GamingHyena posted:

I see your S2 Nebraska episode* and raise you S3 “This Sorrowful Life," where Rick makes the incredibly boneheaded decision to kidnap Michonne and offer her up on a silver platter to the Governor. What does Rick think he's getting out of this deal to sell out someone whose been extremely helpful to the group? A pinkie swear by the Governor that he won't kill them all even though its drat obvious by that point that the Governor absolutely can't be trusted.

Its hard to see that Rick has much of a moral high ground to judge Carol when he's made decisions like this.

And yet he didn't and struggled with that idea through the whole thing.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Nov 4, 2013

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Yeah, Rick's actions with the hitchiker while in his morally gray, no more outsiders, pragmatic leadership mode as well as how they dealt with Carl makes him look like a huge hypocrite. They leave the guy to get eaten on the side of the road

They left a guy perfectly able to walk and run while he shouted his fool head off. That's hardly knifing two people on their sick beds and burning them afterwards without any knowledge of what was going on besides "they're sick and one person might have died from it or something else"

quote:

then a few episodes later welcome in everyone from Woodbury that wasn't one of the Governor's henchmen.

How dare Rick's attitude change between that episode and the finale where they find out that the most able bodied of a group were just wiped out by their leader. That's not character development!

quote:

Then Carl executes that teenager putting his gun down and surrendering because "he did what he had to do", basically trying to take a morally gray proactive choice to protect the group, essentially the exact same thing Carol was doing. But because Carl's just a teenager and Rick's son, he gets the second chance, just has his gun taken away from him til Rick feels like he can use it responsibly again and gets put in a more stable situation to bring him back down.

Yes, killing that kid that was involved with an attack to openly kill every one of them is the exact same as knifing two sick people in bed, especially given one is a kid who isn't emotionally stable because kids aren't and an adult that should know better and why.

quote:

Meanwhile Rick just unilaterally decides to expel Carol from the group and send her out on her own despite the fact he's no longer the de-facto leader and they actually have a council to decide such things.

Or simply making it easier now by sending her off then when she has a psycho man and possibly a lot of others screaming for her head.
I do foresee both her "daughters" dying simply because Rick promised to keep them safe, we all know his revolver demands the blood of young ones to sooth its bloodlust

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Stairs posted:

The Walker hoarde was alerted to the farm's presence by the noise they were making in the forest and field. They wouldn't have been out there if Rick was even partially capable of making a decision. Shane wouldn't have snapped quite so quickly, or if he did it would likely have been closer to the house or on a run.

Ah, fantasy land where things could happen. From the view as the horde changed directions they were just outside the farm's fenceline. So Shane shooting a gun anywhere would have brought them in.
But of course Shane going nuts and leading Rick off away from everyone wouldn't happen at all without that kid Rick refused to kill, Shane would obviously just use his mental powers to down Rick in front of everyone.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
^Yeah, we had this kid that literally died in less than 24 hours while not locked up or even known to be that sick while these other two aren't dead in that little a time, isolated and locked up...yeah, I can see how this is exactly the same situation...

Schiavona posted:

Rick gave them both guns though. They both managed to die without firing a single shot, which would have alerted Rick and Carol.

I'm sure we'll find out later. Rick told them where the prison was, and we didn't see hippie boy actually dead. I'm sure he'll pop up in another episode and explain why everything was what it was

LadyPictureShow posted:

It seems like he's one of those types that isn't good with a melee type weapon. He did stab that one, but it was pinned down and not a threat.

I know another poster commented on it, but the fact he had *only* booze in his bag was heavy-handed. Granted, he *did* look over all the drugs in the cabinets and said they had everything possibly useful, which Michonne packed up. Seemed like a bit of an over-reaction from Daryl. Maybe if it turned out Bob dumped out some meds in favor of the booze, the reaction might not have seemed so over-blown to me.

Don't forget he just had this discussion with Daryl about how he went on the last run with the intentions of getting a drink and all that. Daryl is reasonably upset that this was just another booze run for the guy while the rest are risking their lives for the group.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 4, 2013

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Carol lost her only daughter, who is a comparable age to her now quasi-surrogate daughters, in part because she was unarmed and not trained to defend herself from walkers. Carl, who is also a comparable age with her daughter and is one of the five remaining survivors from the original season 1 crew, is trained on using a handgun which he has used to defend himself and others on numerous occasions and is considered an asset and fighter to the group rather than just another person that needs to be taken care of. In the zombie apocalypse, it's never really too early.

I agree the kids should be taught to use, but this victory at all costs attitude Carol has tried to bestow on the group is not something that should be taught to children

Svanja posted:

I have been checking other Walking Dead chat areas and the Facebook link. Carol covering up for someone else is the prevailing theory right now. It actually does make sense, although you do not agree. Rick even says she would do anything for the kids- even allowing herself to be banished to protect their place in the community. Also I noticed something Gale Hurd said on Talking Dead- "...if she did kill those people." Interesting choice of words right after Carol's confession episode, don't you think?

So tell us about the NWO and 9/11's inside job

This is a really stupid idea that she's covering for a kid to the point she feels grief and anger over it and accepts being booted from the group to face a possible death when she knows that the worst the child would be in for is a friggen lecture. What else would they do? "Ok, you killed them, zombie death it is"

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 5, 2013

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
^Something along the lines of "If you take a single drink before the medicine gets in our people"

LeJackal posted:

Better to just hold hands and sing campfire songs as the shambling corpses of your parents devour you, I guess.

Well these people locked up in isolation are sick and may or may not die, best to shank'em now just in case and leave the possibly deadliest fluids from them smeared over the beds, walls and floors, you know, to protect the group that's mostly sick and in isolation and may or may not live.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 5, 2013

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Bown posted:

That one part where Bob went for his gun or whatever and Daryl just got all up in his face really aggressively and intimidatingly was so ridiculous and childish. I don't usually post in this thread but I had to point out how silly that was. What was absolutely anybody thinking?

Because Bob is a real world version of internet tough guy. When push comes to shove he doesn't have the spine. Granted most of us already knew this, they felt they had to show such again, I guess, to spoon feed the audience one more time.
Sorta like the scene in the Postman where the one soldier says "There must have been a zoo somehwere around here, but anyways". Yeah, I think anyone with a decent IQ could figure that out, but sometimes they need to spoon feed the audience. Not like this thread or the one before it had ample examples of why they have to dumb the show down.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

savinhill posted:

Her father just died and she and her sister were all alone in the world, while all her interactions with the badass prison people were the prison people giving lessons/telling her how she needed to toughen up. She also latched onto to Carol as a mother figure and probably thinks Carol was disappointed in her when she couldn't go through with putting her father down. Maybe she thought Carol was abandoning her when she was put in quarantine and doing what she previously backed out of would please her.

If it turns out not to go that way, fine. I'm not gonna preemptively write off the rest of that storyline this season and say it's gonna suck if it doesn't go how I predicted it would.

The issue is though the girl didn't go into quarantine until after the murders took place, and she volunteered to go into quarantine on her own. So for your theory to work, that abandonment thing has to go which basically gives us no motive but "SHOCKING PLOT TWIST DUN DUN DUN" cheesy type writing that got this show a reputation for having poo poo writing.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

bobkatt013 posted:

Why? The Governor is still out there and we know he is going to try to kill everyone? He has used zombies before as foot troops and if he has an army at this point its very tiny since he killed them all.

And we run into this issue where the Governor, hell bent on revenge makes his way through the hordes, scales the fence and feeds them from behind, then scales the fence and leaves every day instead of, you know, ramming down the damned fence with a truck again.
Same with a supposed plant in the prison. Nothing like endangering yourself and your friends/family to do something the governor could literally do in five minutes at night and seriously gently caress the place over without all the James Bond espionage bullshit.

Fog Tripper posted:

What would be the point of ANY of the built-up backstory of the girl?

Well, gee, I dunno. Thinks zombies are pets/people, refuses to stab zombies...I dunno. Perhaps to show that she's not Badass McStabby-deathbringer people are attributing her to be. Hence why I'm rather certain it's her feeding the walkers, she insists on treating them all like pets up to this point, it's not hard to add that all up. And surprise, it doesn't require taking large leaps of faith to get there or some conspiracy involving a fall guy to do it.
Honestly, this is like the whole "The chopper was shot down" last season

Theglavwen posted:

Weeeellll, keeping in mind that I think it's an obviously wrong idea, this bit sort of makes more sense considering that she thinks walkers are just 'different' people. Since she figures Walkers are people too, it might make more sense to her to kill people who are suffering in this life, so that they won't have to be bothered by it when they return. Improving their lot, and all that.

Killing them by destroying the part of them that brings them back and burning the corpses kinda screams a giant NO to that

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Nov 9, 2013

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Svanja posted:

I think they may have felt the prison was easier to defend. I know I would really like all that open acreage with the fence line, too.

Add to that the governor knows the town, he doesn't know the prison. So upon his return, he existing still being a threat looming, it'd be better to stay where they are than move into town where your enemy knows all the nooks and crannies. That and should the fences fail, they've gor rather strong walls to hide behind, unlike Woodbury where if it gets overrun (and it has in the past) there's poo poo all to do but wait to die in a small room

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Theglavwen posted:

Keep in mind, the people holding the theory seem to be claiming that Carol would have burnt the bodies after the killed killed, or tried to kill, them. The stabbing them in the head thing, as has already been discussed, is of course a legitimate objection. Unless somebody wanted to claim that she tried to kill them, bungled it, ran to Carol, who put them out of their misery by stabbing them in the heads then burning them, and the flashback just cut out the part before Carol got there in a brilliant and subtle case of misdirection!!! Come to think of it, I think I've seen that argument made already.

It's really stupid no matter which way you look at it. We've got a kid that wouldn't kill walkers or people, period. Now suddenly in 24 hours or less she does a complete 180 based on nothing and sticks two people knowing already that damaging the head is what kills walkers. For this to be what happened is poo poo writing.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Fog Tripper posted:

No offense, but are you suggesting that "poo poo writing" is something this show has a record of NOT having? I mean jesus, didn't we just do a virtual entire season of poo poo (beyond 2 or three decent episodes) writing?

No, I'm not suggesting it's something this show is above. But for it to truly be, then basically you've got the same "doesn't make sense" in why the shows have been written well enough around this single event and why this one event has to be such a giant poo poo.
It basically asks more questions than it answers, a pandora's box sort of deal

Fog Tripper posted:

Why in the everliving gently caress must they have the "On the NEXT Walking Dead" preview seconds before the next episode airs? What is the point? (that goes for any and all shows that have "on the next..." previews for their shows.)

Funny things about recorded shows, am I right? it's almost like they were recorded a certain way and playing them back gives the same results time after time.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 10, 2013

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Fog Tripper posted:

What is your point? Are you saying there is a legitimate purpose to showing sneak peaks of the show you are about to watch mere seconds later?

Killing time while they roll credits. Perhaps they show sneak peeks to keep the "this show is too boring" and the "not enough zombies" viewers interested with their ADD

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Fog Tripper posted:

In fairness to Shane, Dale became quite a schmuck. "oh hey, I'm just going to take all the firearms and dump them in a swamp, because reasons"

Mainly because Dale realized some people getting hold of guns was a really really bad idea (see Andrea). They were staying on a farm through the grace of the landowner who specifically was against them shooting stuff.
While Shane was going nuts, shooting the place up would definitely get them sent away if not have Shane do some killin' again

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Fog Tripper posted:

Have you grown anything outside of a game? I'm uncertain what it was Rick was doing in his tiny garden every day. Polishing leaves?

Thing is that garden won't sustain one person let alone a multitude. You need a huge space to grow stuff to live off of aside from having a 'side' of something at dinner.
You constantly have to deal with pests, weeds, making sure all of it is watered and fertilized...if you want a decent crop anyways. Then there's weather. Get a severe storm come through it can easily flatten half your crops...
Farming is a busy job that takes lots of effort and time. In modern times we have ways to speed that up through technology. In olden times like Rick and Co have been thrust back to it's more like 1800's farming where you literally worked the fields all day to grow enough to live on

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Lord Zafo posted:

There's also those lovely holes in the fence held together by bungie cords or something that Rick was seen scrambling to get through when Carol was on the outside. Unless it's held together with a padlock it would be inconsequential for someone who sees someone else using the hole to slip inside the first fence later on.

If you just want to feed the zombies because they're your new pets then you'd probably want to feed them the whole rat instead of leaving half-eaten rat corpses directly on the inside of the fence where they'd keep pushing to get the rest. Leaving the rest of the dead rats along the fence line seems more of a tactic to get the zombies to weaken that spot further. The girl was probably just stupid and left the rats though. This show isn't always that great at remembering its own details anyway, so I somehow doubt my theory of the Governor slipping in the first fence line to weaken it is even on the table.

As I said before, it doesn't make sense, period. Make your way past the horde to feed the horde, then make your way out when you could just seriously gently caress things up and ram a car through the gates or just cut the fuckers...it's not like this is impervious super steel and no one can find anything to cut it all over the place.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Mu Zeta posted:

It's better than reading about zombie survival tactics

And how improbable and impossible ideas are actually possible and likely

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Svanja posted:

They show the gov sitting in camp just staring at a walker coming for him. Martinez (?) shoots it and shakes his head. Gov wakes up to find himself alone. Burns Woodbury the gently caress down. Stumbles his way around and saw a barn with a guy's name on it, which he is now using.

Not just an area, that was the heavy transport from the slaughter sight of the NG in season 3

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Yar har fiddle dee dee

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Well, at least when they kill off his new step family, the gov's got a new zombie delivery truck

Edit: Whoops, guess not. Murphy's law strikes again

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Illinois Smith posted:

Here's something that's always bugged me: Who's that mopey kid with the dumb hat that keeps following Rick around?

He shot down the S3 helicopter

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

zoux posted:

I think it's pretty obvious they are setting up him going to the prison hat-in-hand, not trying to take them out.

The Governor issue is the extreme end of Carol's argument of "survival at all costs for me and mine". We say the Governor is a monster, but mostly he just has a bigger body count than some other characters who have done similar things that only cost a few lives rather than dozens or more. I'm sure the old Gov would've justified his actions by pointing out how the citizens of Woodbury were relatively safe and comfortable compared to your average survivor. His worldview was that any group that wasn't them or wouldn't join them was an existential threat to Woodbury (which actually turned out to be true) and so he justified his actions along those lines.

I think it's gonna be a real stretch to show how Rick's group is anywhere comparable with direct contact gun down groups of people from National Guard to his own people Governor.
I mean even your claim he deems any group that won't join him is a threat is wrong. He's gunned down groups that wanted to join.

And yes, Carol, heading down the path she chose, is becoming a monster

V It was

VV You'll notice I'm not a big "OMG SHE'S :krad:" Carol fan and that yes, she would become a monster continuing on down her chosen path. Getting booted is supposed to be her wake up call

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 18, 2013

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

euphronius posted:

Notice his daughter made him the white King.

It'd make little sense to draw on the black one with a black marker, but hey, whatevs

Evernoob posted:

No-one yet has mentioned the writings on the wall, which are very similar to post disaster landmarks where people write down stuff for their lost relatives.

Yes, we did, way back when the show started because that's where the Governor got his new alias from

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 19, 2013

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

euphronius posted:

It would not make any thematic sense for the Gov's daughter to think he was the black king.

Also I suppose yes the black marker wouldn't show up.

Well obviously the only sense to make here is instead of a kid drawing on something white that she's a friggen racist and that luggage she was hauling had her hood and cloak tucked in it

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

zoux posted:

relative morality vs. survival is a major theme in this show.

Ah yes, I can see how survival would bring about slaughtering National Guard troops, killing those that leave and slaughtering your own people for not following your orders. Kidnapping, torture and (implied) rape of another group.
Yes, the governor just did that for survival. How silly of us to think that no, he's not comparable to anyone else that hasn't done that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

zoux posted:

So you're saying that morality vs. survival is not a theme in the show?

No, i'm saying marking a sadistic villain under either when neither applies doesn't allow him to be a bigger villain than others or them less of a villain than him. He had no morality, and he had no desire for survival. His desire was to feed his ego, to be in command so he could dish out the orders instead of taking them, as they hinted at when discussing his life prior to the world falling apart.
But thanks for trying to set up a straw man, that was interesting

• Locked thread