Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There was a lot to like about this episode, and I liked it.

Michonne was definitely after the Governor, but also bringing gifts to her friends which was cute as hell given how awkward and closed they made her last season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I thought the favorite statues at the airport question would be one of them, as in there was no children-playing-leapfrog statue and now Rick knows something's up.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I got the impression that all the zombies were on the roof from a helicopter evacuation gone wrong. They weren't zombies when they went up there. I really like that they're putting more thought into these sets than "they were driving and then suddenly a hundred fatal head wounds happened."

It's also a little more sad that way. All those people probably starved with inaccessible food twelve feet below them.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I think the hacked off foot guy also collaborates that scenario.

I'm just so glad this season opener happened. There was so very much to love.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

A character in the comics suffers some severe brain damage, which leads to some really interesting possibilities and questions that all get ignored shortly afterward. But it would be cool to revisit and explore some in-between conditions.

The show hinted at the virus causing Shane's aggressive behavior near the end, that could be a good place to start.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

ThatPazuzu posted:

Wait, what? Did I miss something? I don't remember that at all.

He was being exceptionally aggressive and agitated in his last episode, and they did the super-zoom-in zombie vision as he converted in seconds instead of minutes (or hours).

My take away was that he had a full blown raging case of the zombies. I mean, unless stress accelerates the condition in some way? It was much different than usual, which typically means something - but TWD isn't always consistent in execution.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's also likely that the whole reason he went on the scavenge run was to score some booze. He offered a bunch of weird extra reasons asking to come along, went straight for the alcohol, and then lied about how it got knocked over.

I know I've said this before but goddrat this show got better in a hurry.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'd be terrified of survivors wearing living zombie exo-skin suits.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

When I saw the burned bodies, I initially thought that they'd dragged themselves outside and self-immolated to prevent another inside the fence attack.

I'm glad Ty was like "who did this?!" because that's a pretty unlikely scenario. Unfortunately my money is on the combat medic since he's the only character (other than Carol) who has been deceitful this season.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

There was blood on the pillow, which made me think their eyes had popped before they dragged themselves out.

But again, that was just my weird initial reading on the scene, I'll be very surprised if it turns out to be a mercy suicide.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Blazing Ownager posted:

I don't understand why people see a guy who's only crime so far was jonesing for a drink, then ultimately doing the right thing and putting it back (even if it did lead to somebody getting killed, that was an accident) and constantly use this as justification to his "shifty behavior" that indicates he's probably some kind of secret villain.

It's just that they've portrayed him as less-than-honest. Which is typically a tell that he's a distrustful character - but after last episodes' red herring Q&A about the airport statues I wonder if they're playing on expectations of predictable writing. The other indicator is that he was introduced as a new character and not immediately killed.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Was that in the episode or the preview?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'd rather they use symbolism that makes sense instead of previous seasons' dissociated visuals and themes.

They're laying it on thick, but there's at least something to it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The show has diverged far enough from the comics at this point that they're completely different things.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

rivetz posted:

Other than Rick and Dale, I don't necessarily expect anyone to make it from one episode to the next.

I've got some bad news for you, man.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Philip J Fry posted:

What they need to do is start using that Jeep Cherokee...

I hate to go down the coulda-shoulda route, but there hasn't been a pile of bodies high enough to stop the Humvee rusting Woodbury since bible times.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

There's also that zombies just wander around / stay stationary unless there's something to hold their interest. The fence surrounds what's basically a huge food aquarium, so any that wander within sight of it are going to stick around.

I really like the idea of Michonne's Governor scouting trips, or rather how they gives her pretense to do nice things for people she likes. She helps out, doesn't have to talk to anyone (I think there's some kind of social anxiety there), and it's a nice parallel to when she first showed up with baby food. I doubt she seriously expects to run into him out there, but she's made this is her 'job' and it keeps her at arms' length from attachments that could turn traumatic. (Ie: Judith, Andrea.) It only took something like four episodes to actually build her up as a character, once they bothered trying to.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm confused why they actually showed her killing the girlfriend in a flashback. It's a better story if she was covering for the kids, but now there's no reason to still think that's the case.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I hope they run into a cult of unfathomably evil motherfuckers who all have compass tattoos.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I saw that too, but figured they were showing the other side of the sign.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I can't help but think the episode titles are an obtuse reference to 12 steps and Bob is going to be the main character in the same way R2D2 was in Star Wars.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

They made it pretty obvious how the virus got there: the first people sick were fence cleaners, and the first bloody eye zombie was on the other side of the fence.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

They've set up a Chekhov's child, repeatedly called attention to her knife, locked her in with the most vulnerable prisoners, and just exiled "mom."

They've spent a lot of script real estate getting her to that place, and so far the stabbings are the most convenient fit for her arc. That's not to say a better one won't (or hadn't already) present itself, but it's kind of lovely to dismiss this as another "who let the walkers in?"

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Theglavwen posted:

Maybe I'm way off base, but the degree to which you have to go out of your way to treat this as an honest, serious theory, and not as best a potential DRAMATIC PLOT TWIST from nowhere, puts it perfectly in line with 'who let the zombies in' for me.

"Little girl, you need to toughen up and get better at stabbing dying people's brains!"

"Oh my god who stabbed these dying people in the brains?!"

A long, convoluted path.

I guess framing it in terms of murder makes it sound like a shocking impossibility, but how about as a misapplication of taught skills?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

She also goaded the two idiot young people into getting themselves killed by second-guessing everything Rick said when they wanted to go pick tomatoes or whatever. I mean, it's great that she's this pro-active character now but I think that scene was communicating that she's doing more harm than good.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Zombie Apocalypse is probably the dumbest setting for a whodunnit murder-mystery, anyway. There's always a plausible defense even if you're caught knifing some dude's brains out through his ear.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Post-Lost Viewing.

I think this post got a lot right. It's also nearly unheard-of for a show to introduce a TRAITOR IN OUR MIDSTS! mystery, and then absolutely 100% resolve it amicably as a misunderstanding within an hour.

TV doesn't usually move that swiftly, and especially TWD. It's a massive storytelling gear-change from previous seasons (where's Sofia?). Even after watching Carol stab her in a flashback, people are still skeptical - It was Rick envisioning the killing maybe.

I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop, and I know it won't. I'm waiting for her "I killed them" to be amended with "...when I armed and trained that little girl!" or "...after the council decided it was best!" It's not going to happen, and I understand that - but TV doesn't have much history of working this way. It's unconventional, and I dig it, but I'm not 100% comfortable buying it yet.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

In season one, you could argue that Shane is never going to turn into a Lori-assaulting Otis-murdering psycho usurper because it would have be "poo poo writing." I mean, look how he takes care of everybody and makes pragmatic decisions!

I actually work with a guy who is still confused as to why Shane wasn't a good guy. :smith:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Redundant posted:

I wouldn't personally deem them comparable since Shane takes a one way trip to crazyville over the course of 2 seasons whereas for the girl to be a killer she would have to go from pacifist to sociopath and then back to pacifist over the course of 2 episodes.

She'd really just need to take to the training that Carol and her sister have been shown giving her. She's not killing innocent people - she's helping the dying to stay dead. And letting go of her imaginary childhood zombiefriends.

But seriously, this guy at my job doesn't even buy that Shane went to crazyville. He was the most rational actor in every scene. Lori was bad for teasing him. He always did what was ultimately the best for the group. I just don't even know how to argue it, I told him to watch the CDC scene again, and asked him how he'd feel if he were Otis, and he's still convinced Shane was awesome and the victim.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm ok with seeing if this season can get the most from another character mishandled in a previous one. Carl, Hershel, Ty, Michonne, and Carol have had more and better character moments this season than in the previous three. I'd love to see what he can do with a villain. The preview at AMC makes his relationship with the one henchman seem like there's already more to both characters.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

MeLKoR posted:

Jesus this is months old. Galactica finds Earth.

The Annie stuff is a huge reveal and was only about a week old if you're following the books. Like I am. Thanks, spoiling dicks.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I guess if you pirate scans, sure?

E Book eight just came out in the US. But let's drop it, I'm glad everybody learned...something.

moths fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 12, 2013

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Wouldn't the bare minimum be not reinforcing the fence? I mean they've shown good reasons things are how they are, what else do you want?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Did anyone who was aware of the pits make it to the prison? Even if someone had, the purpose of the pits was to trap them for entertainment/research/weapons.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That was pretty great. Also I loved how they leveraged the Governor's erratic last-season writing to create insanely tense scenes.

And was that the same child actress in the Penny photograph? Or did they find another kid that looks like her?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

So is she going to be the lesbian that tragically dies or the one that goes flippin' insane?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Someone at work wondered if that was his real name all along and Phillip was made up.

Our post-:lost: world.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Jastiger posted:

Better choose option B because I'm still a comic book villain!

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but

moths
Aug 25, 2004

He's literally a comic book villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

A friend at work pointed out that the Governor can't just kill somebody and be done with it - He's got to extremely kill. Michonne's safe unless she wanders onto a Mortal Kombat screen or hangs out with a bunch of unnamed extras.

• Locked thread