Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
opinionslikekittens
Feb 24, 2007

I telecommute and it's hard not to fall into a sedentary lifestyle. And my waistline is telling me it's time to get a standing desk. One better designed than my laptop on my dresser.

I wanted to know if you guys had suggestions. If there's a good plan for a DIY one, that'd be even better.

Thanks for your help, good folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ov
Jul 28, 2004
SEE THAT WET SPOT ON MY PANTS? WATCH ME MAKE UP A STORY ABOUT SPILLING A CASSEROLE

How would a standing desk help you lose weight?

enraged_camel
Jul 4, 2007
Can't make ends meet in the US? Move to Australia! If you need to ask about things such as "economic feasibility" and "logistics" you're just lazy and entitled and better looking than I am

opinionslikekittens posted:

I telecommute and it's hard not to fall into a sedentary lifestyle. And my waistline is telling me it's time to get a standing desk.

Or maybe it's telling you it's time to watch what you eat and start going to the gym?

I built mine a couple of years ago using $50 parts from Home Depot and 2 hours of labor (would have been 1 hour but I suck at carpentry). This is what the ergonomics should be like:

How you build it is up to you. Google "diy standup desk" brings up plenty of results.

sweet_jones
Dec 31, 2006

I've been using mine for around six months and I am extremely pleased. I have much less tension in my neck, shoulders,and wrists.

My set up was DIY and basically all Ikea poo poo I put together:

I started out with the monitor on books which was a rookie mistake...you can see in this picture how high it ended up being from the actual desk once I truly dialed in the height enraged_camel's diagram shows. That's a squishy chef mat on the ground, probably the best $5 I ever spent. I'd say all told this whole set up was less than $160 or so. Those are two night stands under the desk, they didn't fit next to the bed in my new place so they became desk drawers. I may sand and paint them black to match.

Almost forgot, I'm 5'11".

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Look on craigslist for an IKEA Jerker desk if you don't want to go the DIY route, it's out of manufacture but they pop up now and then.

534154414E
Jun 11, 2008

My solution: heavy duty shelving like so... http://www.leevalley.com/US/Hardwar...t=3,43648,43650

I got one A (Optional, but makes installation easier.)
Two B's.
Two F's, for the keyboard desk.
Two C/D/E's for the monitor (C might be best because it doesn't have the additional supports, so it's more adjustable, but I got E's. No complaints though.)

I used some scrap plywood for the shelf parts, but you can go as cheap or fancy as you'd like. You can make the keyboard part quite large.

Pros: Very sturdy, adjustable.
Cons: Not easy to move, can mark up the walls, very, err, industrial.

I'd post pics, but I recently moved and have been too lazy to put the thing together.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...hreadid=3599425
I posted this thread a few weeks ago.

I ended up buying a Workfit-D for home with a keyboard tray off Amazon. I have had a Workfit-S at work for a year or so. I wanted a full desk, not like one of those adjustable monitor stands.
This desk was expensive as gently caress, but I'm loving it.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Don't stop me now

The wirecutter has a good article about this that I used to build my own standing desk - check it out. So far I like the effect standing has on my alertness and my posture is way better but I can't comment on if I'm actually losing weight from using it.

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

I bought an adjustable laptop stand from Amazon for $55. My employer doesn't offer stand up desks and I telework frequently as well, folds up neatly and I can pack it in my luggage.

ov posted:

Not answering the OP for him, and my reasons are slightly different anyway. But the past year has had me glued to seats on airplanes, rental cars, and my desk chair. It has destroyed my flexibility to the point I can't do squats/deadlifts after work with good form at this point. It usually takes me a few days of foam rolling and mobility exercises to get back to normal. Standing up does help me I've noticed, so there.

FAGGY CLAUSE fucked around with this message at Jan 19, 2014 around 15:42

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

ov posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24532996 posted:

"If we look at the heart rates," John Buckley explains, "we can see they are quite a lot higher actually - on average around 10 beats per minute higher and that makes a difference of about 0.7 of a calorie per minute."

Now that doesn't sound like much, but it adds up to about 50 calories an hour. If you stand for three hours a day for five days that's around 750 calories burnt. Over the course of a year it would add up to about 30,000 extra calories, or around 8lb of fat.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

I think the first poster meant that if you have an expanding waist line and a sedentary lifestyle, then in all likelihood getting a standing desk isn't going to reverse your weight gain as opposed to like, you know, not having a sedentary lifestyle.

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

OP be aware that you will not radically transform your body composition by standing up. Feel free to continue to make decisions that will improve your health incrementally, however.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

You should really provide a budget, because "standing desks" range from $30 Ikea DIY jobs to $1600 electric height-adjustable bamboo sit-stand desks.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

Not gonna lie. As somebody who was addicted to WoW for 6 years and as somebody who gained 60lbs over that period, I can say that standing up and getting rid of my deskchair has helped very well to encourage me to participate in calisthenic excersizes more, and obviously 'staying on my feet'.

ov
Jul 28, 2004
SEE THAT WET SPOT ON MY PANTS? WATCH ME MAKE UP A STORY ABOUT SPILLING A CASSEROLE

OBAMA BIN LIFTIN posted:

I think the first poster meant that if you have an expanding waist line and a sedentary lifestyle, then in all likelihood getting a standing desk isn't going to reverse your weight gain as opposed to like, you know, not having a sedentary lifestyle.

Yeah that's what I meant.

If I get a standing desk my goal isn't weight loss. There are plenty of other benefits of using one (perhaps like a better posture, flexible muscles, longer life?).

I mean 750 calories a week is almost nothing (you use up more energy by walking 15-20 minutes a day). I am guessing that you would lose plenty of muscles too if you didn't work out. So a year of using a standing desk wouldn't mean that you'd lose 8 pounds of fat.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

ov posted:

Yeah that's what I meant.

If I get a standing desk my goal isn't weight loss. There are plenty of other benefits of using one (perhaps like a better posture, flexible muscles, longer life?).

I mean 750 calories a week is almost nothing (you use up more energy by walking 15-20 minutes a day). I am guessing that you would lose plenty of muscles too if you didn't work out. So a year of using a standing desk wouldn't mean that you'd lose 8 pounds of fat.

I completely agree, but that was most likely what he was referring to. Eating less poo poo takes less effort and would have greater results.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

I've heard that you will adapt to standing and then only burn nearly same amount of calories compared to sitting. I doubt real research has been done on this though.

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine

I'm a server for my day job. If standing caused you to lose weight, there wouldn't be any fat servers (there are.) But good on ya for not sitting at a desk! I tried office work once and only lasted a year, because gently caress sitting still all day.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

i'm so sorry but i have to go now. my time here is finally ogre.

I bet the weight loss would work better if you stuck a treadmill on that standing desk

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

I had a super terrible (stacked boxes) standing desk for a while at my old job. I found that it definitely keeps you slightly more active (at least if you're like me and switch weight from one foot to the other every couple of minutes). I don't think it's really reasonable to spend more than like 4 hours a day standing, so a stool or something is probably needed. However, assuming you don't change your eating habits you'll lose a little weight (not a very noticeable amount though).

Platapie
Mar 17, 2006

My employer provides adjustable desks (button to lower or raise it). I'm almost always standing since I find it the better way to work/I just don't like sitting all day. Took a while for the feet to adapt but I can do it no problem now.

opinionslikekittens
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah, I'm redoing my diet and cardio/strength program as well. I like reinforcing it with healthier habits.
I'd like an exercise machine desk, but I can't afford one and I'm not experienced enough to build one.
I'm working on a DIY one from a recent curbside find. I'll post pics when I get it built.

Belated thanks for all the replies.

opinionslikekittens fucked around with this message at Feb 27, 2014 around 21:07

colt45andashove
Nov 24, 2003
a13ean's bitch

I don't know about this as a weight loss plan, but from an ergonomics perspective, it's a great idea to vary your positioning throughout the day. In other words, sitting all day is horrible for you, but standing all day isn't great either.

They aren't cheap, but something like an ergotron adjustable sit-stand desk would be a great investment. Something like this would let you stand most of the day, but sit sometimes, and just periodically switch between the two.

humansuperior
Feb 17, 2005
Don't expect any mercy in the robot wars.

I just got a Geekdesk Max and it's pretty rad. I've been standing about 80% of the time and it's made me somewhat more productive so far. Let me know if you have any questions.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

antiga posted:

Look on craigslist for an IKEA Jerker desk if you don't want to go the DIY route, it's out of manufacture but they pop up now and then.

Do this. I have mine at sitting height now but adjusting it to standing is a matter of getting a friend over and moving 4 bolts. The desk is awesome too. I might convert it to standing again down the road.

APikeyReaction
Apr 13, 2007

Snowmobile ho’s on a cocaine mountain... Makin’ so much dough, better call my account’n!

I bought a 4pack of Camco Jack Stack jack stands off Amazon. Fashioned some parts from Lowes so the desk wouldn't slide off. Total spent: $32

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

So this was posted the other day:

http://standdesk.co/

The website is terrible and does not list the target price, but it's in the video: $399. That's a much lower price than most of the other electric height-adjustable desks on the market which are closer to $700+, but then again it's a Kickstarter project so who knows if they'll actually be able to ship it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Last week I manufactured a make-shift standing desk at work using a bunch of boxes. It looks pretty terrible, but it works.