Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Mordaedil posted:

You don't understand satire at all, do you?

sethsez posted:

Uh... that's the joke. It's a gag.

Yes, I understand that that is, in fact, the joke. Moreover, it's a joke that uses irony to make fun of the concept that video games offer a choice. I've always been under the impression that using irony to make fun of something can be a form of satire, and that the emperor's new clothes is also satirical in nature. Thus, the button room (heck, the whole demonstration really) is pretty emperor's clothes-ey. Looking back, I think I took the first post the wrong way and was responding to something he wasn't saying. That being said, please tell me more about how I don't understand satire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boblemoche
Apr 11, 2008

Buried alive posted:

That being said, please tell me more about how I don't understand satire.

You don't understand satire.

(I don't understand sarcasm.)

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Buried alive posted:

Yes, I understand that that is, in fact, the joke. Moreover, it's a joke that uses irony to make fun of the concept that video games offer a choice. I've always been under the impression that using irony to make fun of something can be a form of satire, and that the emperor's new clothes is also satirical in nature. Thus, the button room (heck, the whole demonstration really) is pretty emperor's clothes-ey. Looking back, I think I took the first post the wrong way and was responding to something he wasn't saying. That being said, please tell me more about how I don't understand satire.

In the allusion I was making, people who didn't like the demo might see those of us who are praising its cleverness to be "praising the emporor's clothes" -- that is, the praise is mostly just peer pressure and not because we really do find the game interesting. I was attempting to diffuse such a notion, assuring detractors that, if they didn't find much to like in the demo, it's not because we're just making it up and pressuring them to agree, but they proabably just went into the game looking for a different kind of experience, and the S P doesn't have to be for everyone.

Everyone read your response to my post in that context. So it appeared you were saying, "but the Stanley Parable really is just the naked emperor, not as interesting as everyone's pretending. For instance, that button room didn't have any choice at all." Since you were disagreeing with my post, you put yourself in the apparant position of trying to demonstrate how the demo isn't clever. To say what you did in that light looks exactly like "not understanding satire". So people called you out on it, because they only can see what you wrote, not what you were thinking.

Of course, it seems that you just misspoke, and didn't disagree with me at all. You were trying to say that the Stanley Parable talks about emperor's clothes situations, not that this thread is one.

Now that I've explained this misunderstanding in lengthy and condescending detail, hopefully we can move on.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Oct 15, 2013

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
The Stanely Parable: An emperor's nudist colony.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Buried alive posted:

Looking back, I think I took the first post the wrong way and was responding to something he wasn't saying. That being said, please tell me more about how I don't understand satire.

It's okay, I can't read minds either.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

In case somebody was wondering about keeping the achievement, check one of my older spoilered posts (now that people are freely talking bout it).

Opposing Farce posted:

He might have narration for if you insist on standing still even after that, though.
No, at least not for ~20 minutes.

User0015 posted:

You played a completely different demo than I did.

I'm playing the "Preparing to launch The Stanley Parable Demo..." steam dialog box. It's going pretty good so far.
(Spoilers) I remember that feeling, back at the beginning, that was lovely. No concerns about where it was all going, no confusion, just a blank slate. Freedom! We were free! There was nothing to think, nothing to know, simply being right there in that moment. Wasn't it so... beautiful? Wasn't that moment so singularly, piercingly, beautiful? We were free.

I also remember the "deleting The Stanley Parable Demo" box, too. Actually, it was pretty similar.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Where Portal is a first person puzzle game, this is a first person Choose Your Own Adventure book. It's a game the same way a CYOA book is. It's railroaded the same way all games are, but The Stanley Parable lets you pick which railroad you want to travel, and the more twists you introduce by picking alternate routes, the farther the outcome of the game can vary from where you start. You do have a weapon since it's a first person game, but your weapon is your obedience or disobedience of the narrator and the story he wants you to follow. If you just go along the railroad like any other game, it will be a linear romp through some pretty rooms, but if you choose not to the game will accommodate for it and tear apart the reality your character has lived his life in.

Jinh fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 15, 2013

Caufman
May 7, 2007

ImPureAwesome posted:

He gets frustrated and changes the game to 'don't put the cup in the bin' as well if you just dick around and don't do anything (I figured this out cause I accidentally caused the cup to go through the floor and was stuck for a bit).

drat, I dropped my cup behind a stool and restarted when I thought I hosed myself. If only I had more patience and trust in the demo.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Doom Goon posted:

(Spoilers) I remember that feeling, back at the beginning, that was lovely. No concerns about where it was all going, no confusion, just a blank slate. Freedom! We were free! There was nothing to think, nothing to know, simply being right there in that moment. Wasn't it so... beautiful? Wasn't that moment so singularly, piercingly, beautiful? We were free.

I also remember the "deleting The Stanley Parable Demo" box, too. Actually, it was pretty similar.

The good news is, disabling cloud saves let me play The Stanley Parable Demo.

The bad news is, 'play' has a loose definition in the previous sentence.

I was expecting something more along the lines of Antichamber or dark humor ala Portal without the portal gun. What I got was neither of these and a complete lack of understanding of what, exactly, is The Stanley Parable on top of that. And I don't mean in the ironic sense considering the point of the Demo, but in the actual sense of how you play it, especially as a CYOA like people are suggesting. I say with confidence: I Don't Get It.

Still gonna buy it though.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

There is no choice in the demo, you just get an idea of the tone of the writing.

The choice in the game is coming across two doors and the narrator saying that you go through the left door, and then you decide which one to go through. The original mod diverged massively based on choices like that.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Veotax posted:

There is no choice in the demo, you just get an idea of the tone of the writing.

The choice in the game is coming across two doors and the narrator saying that you go through the left door, and then you decide which one to go through. The original mod diverged massively based on choices like that.

And the narrator starts getting pissed at you if you disobey him. Really all of the magic is in the writing and narration.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
Ok that's fine then. I get what the Demo is going for, but it definitely doesn't push the whole "Cool CYOA with narration that adapts and also everything starts to fall apart."

Good to know.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Here's an explanation, based on what I've read on Galactic Cafe blog since the original mod came out:

Davey Wreden has been struggling with how to advertise The Stanley Parable, because the less you know about it, the more fun it is when you play it – a lot of the "magic" comes from the layers of discovery and surprise (not all of it, but a fair portion). The first moment of "oh, okay" leads to the next moment of "oh, huh" leads to the next moment of "oh what?" and then "wait, really?", and everything within the game itself is set up to manage your expectations precisely as your understanding of what-this-game-is changes repeatedly. Davey's unsure of his ability to advertise without crossing the line and spoiling part of the that. So instead of ever talking specifics, he's gotten into the habit of advertising by making other things that combine his writing with Keven Brighting's voice, such as the youtube trailers, or just his writing, like with the Helpful Development Showcase. Of course, all this dancing around the issue has just left lots of people confused, and asking "but what IS it? can't you just tell me?". This, of course, is frustrating for both sides of the question. So the demo is yet another attempt to demonstrate the tone of the game without revealing any of its mechanics or content -- instead, it's all about Davey's inability/reluctance to answer the "but what is it" question, and about the concept of demos in general, and about some other miscellany. The closest it gets to any of the actual themes of the original mod is at the end, when the voice starts narrating in the past tense, but inaccurately ("no confusion, no questions about where this all is heading"), and then slowly diverges further and further from the truth as experienced by the player, and it develops into a kinda dark moment with a pointed separation between narration and what's-actually-happening-with-the-player-camera.

The Stanley Parable is a game about the odd intersection of interactivity and narrative that videogames have been attempting to develop. The Stanley Parable Demo is a game about why you should play The Stanley Parable without knowing much about it.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 16, 2013

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Ditocoaf posted:

Here's an explanation, based on what I've read on Galactic Cafe blog since the original mod came out:

Davey Wreden has been struggling with how to advertise The Stanley Parable, because the less you know about it, the more fun it is when you play it – a lot of the "magic" comes from the layers of discovery and surprise (not all of it, but a fair portion). The first moment of "oh, okay" leads to the next moment of "oh, huh" leads to the next moment of "oh what?" and then "wait, really?", and everything within the game itself is set up to manage your expectations precisely as your understanding of what-this-game-is changes repeatedly. Davey's unsure of his ability to advertise without crossing the line and spoiling part of the that. So instead of ever talking specifics, he's gotten into the habit of advertising by making other things that combine his writing with Keven Brighting's voice, such as the youtube trailers, or just his writing, like with the Helpful Development Showcase. Of course, all this dancing around the issue has just left lots of people confused, and asking "but what IS it? can't you just tell me?". This, of course, is frustrating for both sides of the question. So the demo is yet another attempt to demonstrate the tone of the game without revealing any of its mechanics or content -- instead, it's all about Davey's inability/reluctance to answer the "but what is it" question, and about the concept of demos in general, and about some other miscellany. The closest it gets to any of the actual themes of the original mod is at the end, when the voice starts narrating in the past tense, but inaccurately ("no confusion, no questions about where this all is heading"), and then slowly diverges further and further from the truth as experienced by the player, and it develops into a kinda dark moment with a pointed separation between narration and what's-actually-happening-with-the-player-camera.

The Stanley Parable is a game about the odd intersection of interactivity and narrative that videogames have been attempting to develop. The Stanley Parable Demo is a game about why you should play The Stanley Parable without knowing much about it.
Or, the tl;dr version is that this is one of the few games smarter than a lot of people playing it, or at least smarter than they're giving it credit for, and because of that a lot of people miss much of what is there because (for instance) they're expecting a game demo to give them precisely the sorts of things the demo is joking about other demos giving you.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Just finished it. It feels like it's in the spirit of the original mod. I think the difference between this demo and the mod is you really are being led along by the narrator instead of being given the option to rebel. Five minutes into when you can actually play the mod you were presented with two doors and explicitly told which door you were supposed to choose. The demo had that big open hub-like area with all these different rooms that let you interact or observe things, but there was still only one path to take. The mod's paths were branching, while the demo was a straight line with optional pit stops. It's still got the humor and great writing of the mod, but apart from the sight gags and spatial fuckery I'm not sure if it's sold the real appeal of the mod, i.e. choosing your own path and seeing the consequences.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Well, the demo doesn't even start with the premise that it's telling a story, which is kinda key framework for the mod. I guess instead, it has the premise that it'll demonstrate what TSP is, but that's not really the same. In fact, it's kinda silly to call Kevin Brighting's voice "the narrator" in this context, he's more of a tour guide. But I suppose that's good, leaving more room for surprise when the real game comes out.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 16, 2013

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

If you played any of the original stanely parable without the narrator's audio, it would be a very boring and pointless half life 2 map.

The mod is pretty much about the power of clever writing and audio imparting meaning where there is none - and mocking itself for it.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Spacedad posted:

If you played any of the original stanely parable without the narrator's audio, it would be a very boring and pointless half life 2 map.

Right. Lots of things are meaningless when you remove all context. A straight audio track of the narration, for instance, would also be pointless.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

The real magic of the game comes out in how the players will react to the narrator though, I think.

In some games when playing through their narratives for the first time, players will sometimes even start 'acting' a little in the game to get in the spirit of it all. For example, me mouselook-nodding to Alyx in half-life 2. (Something that portal 2 somewhat 'trains' the player to get in the spirit of very early on too.)

The stanely parable's real magic comes out when the player is actively participating in the narration as if they were part of the 'joke.' You can see some of that coming out in Adam Sessler's playthrough where he starts actually playing off the unexpected 4th wall breaking humor of what's happening. I also experienced it when I played through the original mod and was reacting to and talking back to the narrator.

Knowing this, I fully expect that even going into the new game, I will forget myself at times and start talking back to the narrator or other things. Partly out of purposeful fun, but also partly out of not being able to help myself - no doubt caught offguard by whatever new experiences are in store.

On that note, one of the most fun experiences I had in any game was in coop portal 2 where myself and my buddy were talking back to Glados - which makes me hope eventually that she might respond to player mic chat or other things in a Stanely Parable ish way in future coop iterations of the series.

Anyway, this illusion is broken on multiple playthroughs, but the original stanely parable was good at cleverly extending its lifespan with multiple pathways and a plot about controlling the player to a narrative.

Oh there are plenty of other games that I have this feeling in - but most of them are shooters or some other genre. Generally revolving around combat, but also puzzle-solving rarities or adventure game stuff. Stanely parable is just pure narrative - the suspension of disbelief itself on parade, and feels like the removal of the 'middleman' of all that annoying combat or puzzle-solving that gets in the way of a compelling narrative.

On that note: If say, bioshock infinite had drastically toned down its combat so it was rare and more based on key story events (brief intense struggles that have a huge story impact and visceral feel rather than a 'gamey game' fight arena shooter area - think more in the vein of what walking dead did) with everything revolving around the narrative of the world, I think it would have potentially been more compelling than it was - the combat at times gets in the way of the world, and feels like it was put in there as halfassed sugar coating. (Instead of connecting us to a violent world, it hampered the experience at times with 'gamey game' situations, such as putting a key antagonist behind magic bulletproof glass so it can spew its narrative at a player who normally has free agency to shoot anything that moves.) This is also why the 'return to rapture' DLC interests me, as the first part is supposed to be non-combat and all narrative with some adventure gaming ish things. I actually think future bioshock-ish games with strong narratives could benefit from such an approach.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 16, 2013

Dr. Fingerguns
Dec 26, 2011

What if all cats were THIS?
I played the original, and I'll definitely be playing the sequel. It's fun to have the reality made for you be torn apart in front of you. One other aspect that I love is watching people's reactions to playing it for the first time after I've played it. I could watch anyone do a let's play of this game, even someone who I'd normally hate, and still have a great time seeing them react to everything for the first time.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
It's a shame you can't actually pre-order the game. I'd like to know how much it will cost, so that I can leave aside a small pile of money for it.

I understand the pre-order thing might have been some kind of a joke, but is it really that big of a secret to not tell how much the game will cost?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Yeah, I don't know why it isn't up for preorder. It's out tomorrow, though, so not much longer until we find out.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

It might be because it's free.

We'll see though.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

It isn't going to be for free. Anyway I just got a 0kb update on the demo :tinfoil:

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Dr. Conro James Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master

Megadyptes posted:

It isn't going to be for free. Anyway I just got a 0kb update on the demo :tinfoil:
The demo's been updating every day to update the countdown until the game's release.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
OhboyohboyohboyOHBOYOHBOYOHBOY!

:swoon:IT'S ALMOST HERE!:swoon:

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
Four hours to go. Very excited. Highly doubt it'll be free, but if it is I'll be amazed. Also, inclined to throw money at them anyway should there be a means and the game be remotely as entertaining as the trailers and Demonstration.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, it's kinda strange that they decided to keep the price secret until the moment of release. An indie game like this could just as easily cost 3, 8, or 20 dollars, the decision tends to be mostly "do I want to play it safe with sales to my niche, or shoot for the moon with mass popularity at a cheaper price?"

If this costs $15 (a pretty standard price for "I refuse to race to the bottom" indies) there may be a bit of sticker shock. I wonder if not announcing the price until release makes it worse, or helps by not allowing people to argue endlessly about pricing in comments sections while they wait for release.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Ditocoaf posted:

If this costs $15 (a pretty standard price for "I refuse to race to the bottom" indies) there may be a bit of sticker shock. I wonder if not announcing the price until release makes it worse, or helps by not allowing people to argue endlessly about pricing in comments sections while they wait for release.

I have not played the original, but based on the demo it seems like it is going to be a the comedic equivalent of something like Dear Esther, which costs $9.99.

I expect The Stanley Parable to launch at 8.88.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The Stanley Parable will cost $400. The cost is the sum of the following figures: two dollars for each emotion it will make you feel, one dollar for each choice you can make which legitimately impacts the narrative and changes your experience of the game in a way that expresses your agency as a unique human being, five dollars for every graphics, a dollar per ending, ten dollars to cover narration, and then a little extra to make the game profitable.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Emotions are actually going to be microtransactions. $1 to feel joy for 2 minutes of playtime.

Ryen Deckard
Jun 28, 2008

My blood is red, white, and blue.
It releases in less than an hour and still no price or option to pre-order. This seems like something that should happen with The Stanley Parable though.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

It won't be released directly on Steam; instead, the executable will be hidden somewhere on your hard drive, possibly disguised as a normal file.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Looking for the Stanley Parable is the Stanley Parable.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Ryen Deckard posted:

It releases in less than an hour and still no price or option to pre-order. This seems like something that should happen with The Stanley Parable though.
It's £8 / $12

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
You can now buy the game on Steam. It's not rock-stable yet, though, it keeps popping up and disappearing. :)

edit: And it's downloadable, 2.2 gigs (download is 1.3 gigs)!

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Goddammit and I'm about to go to bed. Oh well, will deal with it tomorrow!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Seventh Arrow posted:

It won't be released directly on Steam; instead, the executable will be hidden somewhere on your hard drive, possibly disguised as a normal file.

It was hidden in the demo all along.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The demo conditions you to compulsively press eight buttons :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

The achievements are some of the best i have ever seen, i must admit.

• Locked thread