Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

That is a crazy-random selection of languages the game is playable in. I've never seen a game released in Italian but not either French or German before. This game is already defying expectations and it's not even in my Steam cart yet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
The price is acceptable to me. Bought and downloading! I look forward to delightful and ideally comical surreality. I will also accept a measure of disturbing unease, it being ever closer to Halloween and all.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Having never played the original, I can safely say I'm already enjoying this, and I've only gotten as far as the main menu and options section. Oh my.

Edit: WHAT IS GOING ON HERE

TACD fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 17, 2013

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
This is a rather ...unique "review" of the game.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/10/17/wot-i-think-the-stanley-parable/

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I think some people MIGHT be cheating.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 17, 2013

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
You really should Click on door 430 five times.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Did you guys get the broom closet ending.

The broom closet ending is my favorite.

XD

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Lizard Wizard posted:

I think some people MIGHT be cheating.

Or it's the developers testing things. Hate Plus has an impossible achievement that the creator has unlocked on their profile to tease players.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Did you guys get the broom closet ending.

The broom closet ending is my favorite.

XD

I am finding your comments concerning. And is the last bit the frustrated lines he make when you get Player 2 to enter the broom closet?

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

I've been playing this for 30 minutes and it is already my favorite game of 2013 after antichamber. I'm wondering how much potential play time there actually is. There seems to be a lot more branches than in the original.

edit: holy loving poo poo the minecraft branch. My sides.

Dicky B fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 17, 2013

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Just bought this and am downloading it right now. This will be a fun day off :3:

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I am finding your comments concerning. And is the last bit the frustrated lines he make when you get Player 2 to enter the broom closet?

I've been playing with subtitles on and it shows up when the narrator gets all sarcastic.

There's a few other times where the tone of the narrator's voice changes the appearance of the subtitles. It's neat.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Mokinokaro posted:

Or it's the developers testing things.

Or it's both. I'd say that people using SAM is the most obvious answer though.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I saw everything I possibly could in the original mod and this loving game keeps throwing things at me that I wouldn't expect for a second.

gently caress, (you probably shouldn't read this, but I just need to say something) the game dropped me into Minecraft, the Narrator built a house and then decided the game was too open so he loaded up portal.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
OH MY GOD MINECRAFT OUT OF NOWHERE (How the gently caress are we even gonna say what we are spoiling here? That spoiler relates to when you refuse to enter the orange hallway twice)

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
This game is really artsy. You won't be able to fully appreciate it unless you play it for four hours.

Seriously, the baby-fire game? What the hell is going on here?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Go back in on another play through.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do they make a stand alone version of the 8 game?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Mr. Pumroy posted:

I've been playing with subtitles on and it shows up when the narrator gets all sarcastic.

There's a few other times where the tone of the narrator's voice changes the appearance of the subtitles. It's neat.
Oh Christ I hadn't even thought to play it with subtitles enabled.

I've been playing for three straight hours and I just don't know what's real anymore. This game.

The very first ending I got was the developer preview mansion / 'heaven' / female narrator bit, which was weird.

Is there actually a way to disable the explosion? I'm guessing no since the narrator makes it a point to laugh at you for trying but I would not be surprised either way.

I got seriously tripped out when the adventure line went a bit Antichamber for a moment and went through a long corridor that ended up in the same room it just left and was only a short corridor after all.

And and and, the bit where you get to a 'happy place' where the only alternative to watching the stars is throwing yourself off a flight of stairs :( I couldn't bring myself to do it, I just restarted the game...

Sorry for all the black bars, I don't really know how to hint at what I'm spoiling without spoiling it. You know.

Hogama posted:

You really should Click on door 430 five times.
You're a dick. Or the game is a dick. Maybe both?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Fuuuuck, don't go down the escape route in the left door if it's the first time you're playing. It leads you to a museum of behind the scenes stuff, including pictures of all the endings. Man, I know it's not a huge deal all things considered, but that was a real bummer :(

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
I am very pleased with the quality of this. Gets a bit full of itself on occasion, the museum mansion is a fine example, but for the humor and surprises... Well worth the price of admission. Not at all clear how to discuss anything without spoiling things... How to get to things is often more of a spoiler than the things themselves. Fascinatingly, humorously bizarre.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

Hogama posted:

Go back in on another play through.

In my case, I went into the broom closet and out of it two games in a row, and now it's sealed up so I can't go back in on my third run. :D

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

I think I've explored all the possible branches now but I can't really be sure. Total play time is around 2 1/2 hours. I'd say it's worth the price tag.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Hakkesshu posted:

Fuuuuck, don't go down the escape route in the left door if it's the first time you're playing. It leads you to a museum of behind the scenes stuff, including pictures of all the endings. Man, I know it's not a huge deal all things considered, but that was a real bummer :(

Unless you found some museum room I didn't find, it doesn't show all endings.

I've found 11 different endings so far, and I guess there is more.

So far I've found (Quite spoilery, but not totally revealing)

1. Close the door when you are in your office
2. Jump off the platform in the warehouse, killing yourself
3. Picking up the phone
4. Unplugging the phone (might be more endings hidden in here)
5. Jump off the stairs after the Pretty Colors Room, killing yourself
6. Walking through the blue door three times
7. Refusing to visit the boss, going to the basement instead
8. Taking the elevator in the maintenance room (might be more here?)
9. "Escape" through the long corridor
10. Turn the mind control facility off
11. Turn the mind control facility on (might be more endings hidden in here)

12. Broom closet ending (not a real ending)

ymgve fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 17, 2013

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

Love the writing in this. Laughed out loud a few times and I've only seen about half of the endings.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

DannyTanner posted:

Love the writing in this. Laughed out loud a few times and I've only seen about half of the endings.

Yes, I actually had a laugh out loud moment about halfway through my first playthrough. It does some pretty unexpected things.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I did notice that after getting an ending and returning to the beginning, there's a computer in the first offices that has "INPUT" something or other on the screen, and interacting with it makes one of the squares under it light up. I was able to do it twice, but after the third time I couldn't find it again. Anyone else notice this?

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug

flatluigi posted:

I did notice that after getting an ending and returning to the beginning, there's a computer in the first offices that has "INPUT" something or other on the screen, and interacting with it makes one of the squares under it light up. I was able to do it twice, but after the third time I couldn't find it again. Anyone else notice this?

After you interact with 5 of them - one per playthrough, with the last being in Stanley's office - something will happen.

If you have difficulty finding one, remember that there's a computer on the boss' secretary's desk.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Ahahah, Notch tweeted about the game's website - which made the entire thing crash. :xd:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

:laffo: well maybe it is better to redirect to the store page then.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Just played as much as I can today before my brain implodes, I was already a bit delirious from lack of sleep, this really did didn't help. Completely fantastic. I want even more.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

davejk posted:

After you interact with 5 of them - one per playthrough, with the last being in Stanley's office - something will happen.

If you have difficulty finding one, remember that there's a computer on the boss' secretary's desk.

That was definitely worth it. :3:

Another thing I noticed: One of the computers has a screen titled USERNAME: ACCESS and ends in "What is the significance of the number 1112800?" Any thoughts?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

ymgve posted:

4. Unplugging the phone (might be more endings hidden in here)

This. This is the best ending.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

flatluigi posted:

That was definitely worth it. :3:

Another thing I noticed: One of the computers has a screen titled USERNAME: ACCESS and ends in "What is the significance of the number 1112800?" Any thoughts?

It's the thread ID for the original mod's thread on Facepunch.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Ooh, I think I found a bug!

When you first enter the Mind Control Room, you can climb on the chair, then on the desk, then leap off the platform. There's literally nothing down there and no clever Narrator lines so I think it's really somewhere you're not meant to be.

I emailed the devs, but it still has me thinking about how empty and meaningless it ends up being when you make choices that step outside the expected boundaries of a game (e.g. noclipping out of the level and finding nothing there). That means this counts as Art, right?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

How do you get the ending with minecraft and portal? I thought I had made all the choices but maybe I quit out of an ending prematurely.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Tagichatn posted:

How do you get the ending with minecraft and portal? I thought I had made all the choices but maybe I quit out of an ending prematurely.

What you do is disobey the narrator whenever you can do so in a way that moves you forward.

I also had a random restart litter up the starting area but... I have no idea what changed. Random effect I guess?

The Bishop
Oct 8, 2007
The ring, Vic! Don't touch the ring!
Grimey Drawer

Tagichatn posted:

Take the right door at the beginning, and continue on to the cargo lift. Fall off of the lift, onto the walkway, to the right. Proceed to enter the blue door three times. After that, I don't think there are any other branching off points.

Turra
Oct 28, 2006

Help! A guinea pig tricked me.

Mindblast posted:

What you do is disobey the narrator whenever you can do so in a way that moves you forward.

I also had a random restart litter up the starting area but... I have no idea what changed. Random effect I guess?

There seem to be a bunch of small changes to the starting area that as far as I can tell are just random on restarting, hallways bending different ways, litter, phones having messages etc. The one that really got me was The narrator said I thought someone was following me, and that if I turned around I'd see them.. nobody behind me but in the 2nd room I saw a person walking in the hallway through the window! Freaked me out Haven't been able to get it again though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This game rules even more than I expected as a huge fan of the original mod and the demo. Everyone should buy it or bug their friends to buy it.

I keep finding new things every time I play, however minor. For example, the broom closet is boarded up on your third playthrough if you enter it twice and the narrator comments on Stanley being sure someone is following him if you keep turning around. There's also an unexpected secret if you just idle in Stanley's office.

I still can't seem to get the speedrun achievement, though, even with the reset that places you before the two doors giving me a headstart, and the narrator just opening the secret door in the boss's office for me.

• Locked thread