Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TinKelp
Jan 9, 2007
:dukedog:
Buglord

Dr. Video Games 0029 posted:

That's the problem; reinstalling it doesn't wipe the old settings. It's still trying to display it at a resolution that my computer doesn't like for some reason.

I'm certain there's some stupid .txt file somewhere in steamapps where I can go in and manually set the resolution but I'll be hosed if I can find it. It's poo poo like this that makes me want to murder the god drat butt. I don't need every loving thing I do to a game preserved for all history on some server somewhere. For the love of god, let me walk this back to before I hosed everything up.

Look in Steam\SteamApps\common\The Stanley Parable Demo\thestanleyparabledemo\cfg\video.txt for the settings. It's weird that it's actually in a txt file instead of a cfg but there it is. If that doesn't work then try forcing a window with the -windowed launch parameter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinKelp
Jan 9, 2007
Buglord

Meme Emulator posted:

What makes those games great demos? MGS2 is obvious because of the fact that it kept Raiden so well under wraps, and I imagine Half Life is just there because Half Life, but what about Gunpoint and Other Thing? Just namedrops?

I have no idea what Other Thing is but this might be a reason why Gunpoint was included.

Tom Francis posted:

It also means I can afford to keep being nice. I didn’t let anyone pay for Gunpoint until I was ready to put a free demo out, so everyone would have a way to make sure it ran OK on their system and that they liked it before giving me any money.

I was informed by lots of people with industry experience that this is commercial idiocy: you want to hold it back so that excited fans buy without trying, then you can release the demo later to tempt those who weren’t convinced. And with some (not all), you get weird responses if you bring up non-money factors in a business conversation.

“You’ll lose sales this way!”
“From people who don’t really like it? I think I want to lose those sales.”
“No, you don’t understand. You’ll have less sales.“

TinKelp
Jan 9, 2007
Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQy0MJE5E2o

• Locked thread