Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Anyone want to try to decipher this? It's on one of the first few tables you see in the demo if you want to try to get a clearer picture.

I do want to try to see if I can poke through the texture files because there's a bunch of little side details that I can almost read that I'd love to read fully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Personalized copies?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
No, it's not supposed to end there. The ending involves an elevator.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Broand posted:

Oh is this a new release of that Source mod from last year or so? Looks pretty cool, but the original game thing, while fantastic, was very short. Is this significantly larger?

We don't know yet, but from promotional screenshots it does look very much expanded. The demo at least is 20-25 minutes long and completely standalone which is almost half of the length of a full playthrough of the original (getting all the endings), so I would definitely expect it to be longer.

At the very least all the additional content they've put out surrounding the game has been brilliant enough for it to justify me buying the game!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Geokinesis posted:

The Stanley Parable demo does actually have an achievement attached to it, not just the fake cup in bin one.

It's the same achievement, it just re-locks. If you open the overlay right after getting it you can see it there. I wanted to put it in my showcase but that doesn't work. :(

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I asked him on twitter for a friend about pretty much the same thing. He says that he'd recommend to wait for the new game because it does incorporate things from the old mod (though there is new content in the new game) + if you play it so soon before picking up the remake it "probably but not entirely" will feel like replaying the old mod.

Also twitter sucks for longer thoughts and questions, why exactly do people use it anymore I don't know

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

RBA Starblade posted:

Based on the Steam Store, it looks like the full game will be free, so that's probably why. There's no price for it currently.

The narrator definitely mentioned "paying real world money for the game" in the demo.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Comstar posted:

Is there another version of the version of the demo for this game that is..I don't know..fun? Interesting? Funny? Tells a story? I played a game going from room to to room where a well voiced narrator (who sounds like the narrator from Little Big Planet) took me through 20 or so rooms using a 10 year old engine and made one reference to Half Life 2 pick up that can. That was it. For a brief moment I thought we might be getting a reference to an SCP object, but that was only for a second.

From this thread I get the impression there is a much better demo out there I didn't get to play, because that would be ironic, or something. Ha ha. Jokes on me? AWCY?

I'm very sorry that you don't get humor that isn't referential, goon with a MLP avatar.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I did notice that after getting an ending and returning to the beginning, there's a computer in the first offices that has "INPUT" something or other on the screen, and interacting with it makes one of the squares under it light up. I was able to do it twice, but after the third time I couldn't find it again. Anyone else notice this?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

davejk posted:

After you interact with 5 of them - one per playthrough, with the last being in Stanley's office - something will happen.

If you have difficulty finding one, remember that there's a computer on the boss' secretary's desk.

That was definitely worth it. :3:

Another thing I noticed: One of the computers has a screen titled USERNAME: ACCESS and ends in "What is the significance of the number 1112800?" Any thoughts?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Mr. Pumroy posted:

I'm referring of course to the employee lounge.

It's okay.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

DarkstarIV posted:

So does anyone know how to get the 8888888888888888 achievement? I can't seem to figure it out. :(

There's exactly one place in the game where you can press the number 8.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
The last one is the one in your office.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

BobTheJanitor posted:

That's true. I actually kind of wish the game had done a bit more to be kind of eerie and creepy. Some of the pre-release trailers definitely had a menacing vibe about them, and yet I can't really think of much in the game as it is that plays on that feeling. Except in the endings when the narrator gets overtly vindictive, but again, that's not so much 'creeping dread' as just 'angry man yelling at you'.

I think the red door, downstairs, and turning the mind control on endings each work pretty well to that end, plus bits of the unplug the phone and confusion endings.

Boxturret posted:

I've heard a Trapdoor ending referenced several times but no one has actually said what it is. Help.
There's a trapdoor in the room right before the mind control switch choice that has a teleport trigger that might be another ending, but as far as I know nobody's dug up anything saying it actually leads to anything (and that entire area having a solution that leads to something seems counter to the point of that ending).

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

HonestWilliam posted:

William hides the best secrets. Try typing secret in your keyboard and then starting the credits. That is me.

I don't think anyone found this one yet!

repiv posted:

The developers are doing an AMA on Reddit, and they claim there's at least one secret yet to be found. The hint is "up".

Except he also said the hint is "down."

flatluigi fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 23, 2013

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Line Feed posted:

I wonder if it has anything to do with the elevator near the boss's office? I sat in that elevator for a few minutes while I went to the bathroom but nothing special seemed to have happened when I got back. I figured the joke was that the elevator didn't go anywhere but now I'm thinking it actually might.

Someone in the comments said they let it run for 24 hours, saved, and exited to find themselves exactly where they were to begin with.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
It's hard to have choices with more meaning than "fundamentally changing the entire path of the story," man. I don't know what more you want.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I honestly have no idea why you seem to dislike the game anymore. Your criticisms are all over the place (including seemingly getting upset with the game because it's gotten less pushback than Gone Home) and I don't really know what to respond to. Sorry, dude?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Tempo 119 posted:

A lot of people have mentioned Gone Home etc. but there's another game this reminds me of, I can't remember what it's called unfortunately, it's a text adventure where you're in a supermarket and the game always ends after one move. There are hundreds of inputs accounted for, and what you do affects the backstory as well as the resolution. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
It's called Aisle.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

this game says nothing valuable about games or choice

Says someone who played it for an hour and didn't bother to look at any of the rest of the bits of the game.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Yeah but the conversation is mostly uncritical praise like "I just played this game called the Stanley Parable, it's the best game I've played this year... but I can't tell you anything about it, just try it for yourself!" or "Have you found this cool thing that I found?". It'll take a few more weeks after the dust as settled to see whether it's had any lasting impact and if the game is a launching point for other conversations at all.

Is this really your sticking point about the game? People are saying that because it's really blatantly a game where you should go into it and experience everything yourself instead of knowing everything when you go into it. It's why the creators made a demo with the express goal of having absolutely no content from the main game in it while giving as best they could of an impression of what the main game will be like. There's absolutely more discussions being held about what's in the game and its merits, people are just trying to give others a pure experience of the game.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

If you try Googling "stanley parable" or "gone home" you get about 3.5 million for each. But if you Google "stanley parable" "not a game" you get 30,000 hits, and for "gone home" "not a game" 120,000 hits. The reasons for this gap is worth examining, not something totally unrelated.

The first lines of the first post you made in this thread say exactly why people are heavily more critical of Gone Home than Stanley Parable. Gamers as a whole dislike games that talk about issues or are """art games""" and TSP dodged that issue outright by centering it around humor and metacommentary instead. It's a fairly clear distinction and one that doesn't have a lot of depth to delve into.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

You seem convinced that because I haven't completed every ending of the game, this means that I shouldn't say anything about it because I haven't had the "pure experience". In reality, methodically going through every ending and option like an achievement hunter or a content muncher is exactly one of the things the game comments on and is criticising. I actually got that part of the game and you didn't, despite the fact that you enjoyed it and have played more.

That's absolutely not what I was saying and you should reread it. :)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Yeah, but the notion that choices in games are arbitrary is a fairly obvious one as well, and doesn't require a lot of depth to delve into.

That's a hell of a false dichotomy that you've got there, especially when you've already tried to say the opposite.

Yes, reviews are not the place for ruining the narrative of a game whose strength is the narrative. That's why it's very rare to find a review that just spells out the ending outright.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Klayboxx posted:

It's not exactly censorship if he himself made the choice, I agree with you there, it's just silly that people got offended in the first place.

One of the two people who contacted him about it was a teacher who wanted to show the game to his students but didn't really enjoy the imagery of a kid being set on fire, which is completely understandable. Go rage against ~the PC police~ somewhere else, you're grasping at straws.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Ditocoaf posted:

At this point, he's pissing plenty of people off just by deciding to change it.

Thankfully, all the people who are against him changing the game like this are whiny assholes who jump at the chance to yell "censorship." :)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
That was a response to a guy saying this, dude:

quote:

I really dislike all of this goofy gender and race equality call outs as of late. I'm pretty sure it got big with the whole Anita thing and from there dumb gullible jerks got delusions of grandeur and started calling out all sorts of dumb bullshit about how every videogame ever is racist/sexist.

Which is pretty much exactly that: 'argh why is everyone getting mad at sexism and racism recently instead of shutting up about it like they used to do, I blame a minor internet celebrity.'

Note that the quote was referring to sexism/racism callouts in general, not this specific case! And besides, this 'issue' was two people (one of whom was a teacher who wanted to show his class the game) who had a civil conversation with the developers about making a tiny change in the game. If you're looking for "outrage" you should look elsewhere.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Klayboxx posted:

I was talking about people from the other side of the argument. Some people are making a big stink about censorship and other such bullshit. But personally I feel like in a lot of other cases games aren't offensive at all but people find stuff to whine about.

There is nothing in that quote or the rest of your post on it that represents you talking about the people who are against the callouts, unless you think the people yelling about censorship are the people who wanted the change to happen somehow.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Yeah, the demo had a really hard job: show off the game without having any of the actual game's content in it. I feel like it worked in some respects (the humor and metacommentary) and failed in others (no choices, none of the darker bits that I feel are the best parts of the game), but I feel that for what it attempts it pulls off really well.

Regarding your spoiler: The narrator does comment if you wait for your number when you revisit that room, you do get alternate dialogue depending on whether or not you stay still or not when he asks you to, and there are a few other spots where he does change what he says depending on what you do like sticking around to play the 8 game or not. Those changes are definitely not as obvious as they are in the main game, though.

But yeah, if you've already watched people play through the entire game on Youtube then you've already watched the entire game and I can't blame you for not wanting to pick up the full game after that. I do kind of wonder if you have seen all the endings, though.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
What exactly about any of the game makes you feel like it's laughing at you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
That's beautiful.

• Locked thread