Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Peter North posted:

I liked this quote from the end of the House hearing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMQ4EN3Rh30&feature=share

Rape is OK if she doesn't remember it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Aurubin posted:

Alexander denied that it was the NSA directly spying on European countries, saying they got the info from their European counterparts. Quite frankly, I believe Alexander, at least partially. I don't know where to parse out where he's obfuscating, but I believe the foundations of his side.

So, what, the people tapping Merkel's phone were actually a bunch of V-männer or something? That sounds ludicrous.

iFederico
Apr 19, 2001

Elotana posted:

At the end of the day it is naked imperialism. "Economic interests" and "political interests" are just another way of asserting that our status as a superpower is an end in itself, one that justifies any means whatsoever. And as with all imperialism, we're now we're seeing the first signs of blowback.

Incidentally, the early defenses of the US spying program was that the US only used it for national security, unlike the Chinese who used it as an economic tool and for industrial espionage.

That defense hasn't really held well.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

V. Illych L. posted:

So, what, the people tapping Merkel's phone were actually a bunch of V-männer or something? That sounds ludicrous.

It's probably more of a hint that they bought the data from the UK, if anything.

To comment on the people going "how do you know Germany isn't doing the same thing?": Obviously nobody knows how far the German government is going, but it's worth keeping in mind that any German government that is caught tapping a foreign allied leader's phone would suffer dramatic electoral consequences. Germans still remember the wiretapping extravaganza that was the STASI, and as a result privacy is a very big deal here. Immediately after the Snowden leaks there were widespread demonstrations, along with calls to block Obama's visit to Berlin and to offer Snowden asylum. The international consequences have been talked about ITT, but I can almost guarantee that Merkel's party would suffer in the next elections, and she herself would quite possibly have to face an impeachment process (Misstrauensvotum).

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...a4dd_story.html

quote:

The National Security Agency has secretly broken into the main communications links that connect Yahoo and Google data centers around the world, according to documents obtained from former NSA contractor Edward Snowden and interviews with knowledgeable officials.

By tapping those links, the agency has positioned itself to collect at will from among hundreds of millions of user accounts, many of them belonging to Americans. The NSA does not keep everything it collects, but it keeps a lot.

According to a top secret accounting dated Jan. 9, 2013, NSA’s acquisitions directorate sends millions of records every day from Yahoo and Google internal networks to data warehouses at the agency’s Fort Meade headquarters. In the preceding 30 days, the report said, field collectors had processed and sent back 181,280,466 new records — ranging from “metadata,” which would indicate who sent or received e-mails and when, to content such as text, audio and video.

The NSA’s principal tool to exploit the data links is a project called MUSCULAR, operated jointly with the agency’s British counterpart, GCHQ. From undisclosed interception points, the NSA and GCHQ are copying entire data flows across fiber-optic cables that carry information between the data centers of the Silicon Valley giants.

The infiltration is especially striking because the NSA, under a separate program known as PRISM, has front-door access to Google and Yahoo user accounts through a court-approved process.

The MUSCULAR project appears to be an unusually aggressive use of NSA tradecraft against flagship American companies. The agency is built for high-tech spying, with a wide range of digital tools, but it has not been known to use them routinely against U.S. companies.

White House officials and the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, which oversees the NSA, declined to confirm, deny or explain why the agency infiltrates Google and Yahoo networks overseas.

In a statement, Google said it was “troubled by allegations of the government intercepting traffic between our data centers, and we are not aware of this activity.”

“We have long been concerned about the possibility of this kind of snooping, which is why we continue to extend encryption across more and more Google services and links,” the company said.

At Yahoo, a spokeswoman said: “We have strict controls in place to protect the security of our data centers, and we have not given access to our data centers to the NSA or to any other government agency.”
Essentially, MUSCULAR appears to be the backdoor counterpart to PRISM, done without the companies' consent (well, explicit consent).

I feel very comfortable saying the NSA has no business engaging in full-take tapping domestic cables, especially not data links between the servers of massive, private companies.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
efb...I'll leave the image, though.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Elotana posted:

I feel very comfortable saying the NSA has no business engaging in full-take tapping domestic cables, especially not data links between the servers of massive, private companies.

Inconceivable! The NSA said there was no direct access! In front of congress and everything! Inconceivable!

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Elotana posted:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...a4dd_story.html

Essentially, MUSCULAR appears to be the backdoor counterpart to PRISM, done without the companies' consent (well, explicit consent).

Arkane posted:

Was just going to post that. Best quote:

The Article posted:

Two engineers with close ties to Google exploded in profanity when they saw the drawing. “I hope you publish this,” one of them said.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

SSL is dead, I give these revelations three unironic "Thanks Obama"s

Kid Gloves
Jul 31, 2013

by XyloJW
Oh man, some of the articles from the past few months are hilarious in light of this. Too bad so many of these government officials were anonymous, huh?

CNET

CNET on June 7 posted:

The National Security Agency has not obtained direct access to the systems of Apple, Google, Facebook, and other major Internet companies, CNET has learned. [...]

Those reports are incorrect and appear to be based on a misreading of a leaked Powerpoint document, according to a former government official who is intimately familiar with this process of data acquisition and spoke today on condition of anonymity.

"It's not as described in the histrionics in The Washington Post or The Guardian," the person said. "None of it's true. It's a very formalized legal process that companies are obliged to do."

additional lols

quote:

President Obama addressed the NSA's program during brief remarks in San Jose, Calif., this morning. But Obama's remarks merely offered a high-level summary of the Section 702 process: "With respect to the Internet and e-mails, this does not apply to U.S. citizens, and it does not apply to people living in the United States."

Also kind of funny, Google's blog post from the same day, emphasis very much mine:

quote:

First, we have not joined any program that would give the U.S. government—or any other government—direct access to our servers. Indeed, the U.S. government does not have direct access or a “back door” to the information stored in our data centers. We had not heard of a program called PRISM until yesterday.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
It seems pretty clear that MUSCULAR is some kind of a network-level data tap like a fiber optic splitter. The graphic is just noting that they can do anything they want once they're inside Google's datacenter.

I think it's less plausible (although not implausible) that no one at Google was involved in this. Not the C-suite, certainly, you'd want them for plausible deniability anyway, but there had to be engineers and techs who noticed or should have noticed this. They don't appear to have highly tight integration because they were unsure of things like what triggers a mailbox migration.

Additional slides here, dated March 14 2013:
How the NSA's MUSCULAR program collects too much data from Yahoo and Google

This gives an idea of the scale of the NSA collection. MUSCULAR is allocated 60gb of collection per day into the PINWALE database, and was expected to grow to 120gb per day in 2013.

That also gives us a figure on their bandwidth usage, they are pulling an average of 5 mbps between all data centers. Which is peanuts, you could do that with cellular data modems.

Also there's an interesting footnote at the bottom:

quote:

Past DO volume reduction efforts:
Webmail OAB- Leap day 2012: the original defeat only targeted gmail, yahoo, and hotmail webmail protocol
FB buddylist sampling since last year

Today: FB OAB defeat/atxks/facebook/ownerless_addressbook: this is a JSON addressbook

Collectively this implies that overseas collections have been gaining significant momentum over the past year or two, under Obama's watch. Coincidentally that is also right after the FISC shot down this kind of collection from domestic servers (October 2011). So the NSA immediately did an end-run around their oversight.

Articles like this make a lot more sense when you realize that a "transaction" is one of those NArchive files that contains a couple thousand mailboxes. They call it a "transaction" because it's being migrated between servers or data centers.

quote:

The issue arose in the context of a government application for reauthorization of 702 collection. After filing this application, the government—on May 2, 2011—wrote a letter of “clarification” describing how certain “upstream collection” of internet communications included what are called “transactions.” Upstream collection refers to collection by tapping the U.S. data pipeline, rather than by collecting from internet service providers. And “transactions,” as Judge Bates explains, “may contain a single, discrete communication, or multiple discrete communications, including communications that are neither to, from, nor about targeted facilities.” While it’s not entirely clear what a “transaction” is, think of it as a communications package—say, a snapshot of someone’s email inbox—in which the individual communications come bound together. While they can later be separated and disaggregated, the NSA cannot capture them separately. Moreover, these “transactions” turn out sometimes to include both purely domestic communications and communications involving U.S. persons not of foreign intelligence interest.
http://www.lawfareblog.com/2013/08/the-nsa-documents-part-ii-the-october-2011-fisc-opinion/

It's also interesting to consider the article a month or two ago about how Google was enacting a crash program to get all its datacenter-to-datacenter links encrypted. Interesting timing.

quote:

Google’s encryption initiative, initially approved last year, was accelerated in June as the tech giant struggled to guard its reputation as a reliable steward of user information amid controversy about the NSA’s PRISM program, first reported in The Washington Post and the Guardian that month. PRISM obtains data from American technology companies, including Google, under various legal authorities.

Encrypting information flowing among data centers will not make it impossible for intelligence agencies to snoop on individual users of Google services, nor will it have any effect on legal requirements that the company comply with court orders or valid national security requests for data. But company officials and independent security experts said that increasingly widespread use of encryption technology makes mass surveillance more difficult — whether conducted by governments or other sophisticated hackers.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...f8ef_story.html

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 30, 2013

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack
What is an "OAB"?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I'm pretty sure it's Offline Address Book.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
The degree of overreach and brashness shown by the NSA is stunning. There are collaborative mechanisms in place already to get the information they want, whether it be intelligence-sharing agreements with communications companies or allied nations, and not in the Pakistan or Egypt sense: these are countries whose interests are aligned with ours, and not just for the sake of fighting the Cold War or international terror. When our country behaves in ways that we would disapprove of others reciprocating in the same fashion, something is wrong. I cannot fathom why they don't understand how this undermines our credibility and trustworthiness, and makes cooperation (with all its associated benefits) pointless.

In other news:

Business Insider on spying in the Vatican

Excerpt from article posted:

The report states that the American agency, recently embroiled in a number of scandals, is believed to have been intercepting calls within the Vatican before and during the Conclave. There are also suspicions that Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio, who would later be chosen as Pope Francis, was under surveillance for a number of years.

Panorama reports that the intercepted calls were put under four categories; Leadership intentions, threats to financial system, foreign policy objectives, and human rights.

The secretive world of the Vatican has come under scrutiny before, with leaked documents and tapped phone-calls causing a number of scandals. However, the Catholic Church seems to be taking this latest allegation in its stride.

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm pretty sure it's Offline Address Book.

Google was giving me "Overactive Bladder", so that's a relief.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I guess I skipped the part of yesterday's hearing where James Clapper felt it was necessary to rebut Jon Stewart.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kid Gloves posted:

Oh man, some of the articles from the past few months are hilarious in light of this. Too bad so many of these government officials were anonymous, huh?

Lying Snowden exaggerated things claiming the NSA had direct access to any sort of data without judicial oversight!

It's so glorious seeing the NSA's web of lies and talking points fall apart with each new article. They basically targeted big US tech companies since the tech companies serve as a centralized handy fishing spot for data mining.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

I hope this forces the tech companies to take a more adversarial stance.

Shut up I can dream

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Elotana posted:

I hope this forces the tech companies to take a more adversarial stance.

Shut up I can dream

I edited that post quite a bit above as I tried to suck all the information I could out of those slides, but one of those articles is interesting in hindsight. In September there was an article about how Google had accelerated plans to encrypt their datacenter-to-datacenter links as of June. That's right about the time the CEO was insisting he'd never heard of PRISM and there was no "backdoor" or "direct access".

Could be coincidence or a PR move, but one completely hypothetical interpretation of that is that Snowden triggered some in-house digging and they found something. While Google must respond to lawful intercept orders or NSLs, they do not have to sit by and let the NSA open up backdoors and hack them. Too bad SSL is apparently not very effective.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
In the meantime, the NSA will still have a permanent presence in the COs and Exchanges of Verizon, ATT, Comcast, Timewarner, Sprint etc. etc.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Paul MaudDib posted:

Could be coincidence or a PR move, but one completely hypothetical interpretation of that is that Snowden triggered some in-house digging and they found something. While Google must respond to lawful intercept orders or NSLs, they do not have to sit by and let the NSA open up backdoors and hack them. Too bad SSL is apparently not very effective.

It doesn't have to be an SSL vulnerability. It could be fiber splicing, and/or someone within Google could be working for the NSA.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

iFederico posted:

Incidentally, the early defenses of the US spying program was that the US only used it for national security, unlike the Chinese who used it as an economic tool and for industrial espionage.

That defense hasn't really held well.

It would be pretty rich to hear the French complain about industrial espionage given that it's the field they continue to lead the world in, to the point that at one time GE executives were told not to fly with Air France lest they have their luggage rifled-through.

Kurt_Cobain
Jul 9, 2001
Dudes, everything is ok

quote:

National Security Agency Director Keith Alexander on Wednesday denied knowledge of an agency program that reportedly tapped Google and Yahoo data centers around the world without the companies' knowledge.

“I don’t know what the report is,” Alexander said at a cybersecurity summit when asked about the Washington Post's latest report on NSA surveillance, as quoted by Politico.

Alexander added that the agency is "not authorized" to access the tech companies' data centers without going through a "court process," according to Politico. The Guardian reported earlier this year that the NSA's PRISM program allows the agency direct access to the servers of certain tech companies, including Google and Yahoo, that were required under U.S. law to comply with requests for users' communications.

When asked if the NSA infiltrated the data centers, Alexander responded “not to my knowledge,” as quoted by Politico.
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/nsa-chief-to-my-knowledge-agency-didn-t-tap-google-yahoo-data-centers

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
"Not to my knowledge"? Have we succeeded in compartmentalizing the NSA like a resistance cell?

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

I can parse this!

quote:

Alexander added that the agency is "not authorized" to access the tech companies' data centers without going through a "court process," according to Politico. The Guardian reported earlier this year that the NSA's PRISM program allows the agency direct access to the servers of certain tech companies, including Google and Yahoo, that were required under U.S. law to comply with requests for users' communications.

Remember this is a program focused on tapping cloud storage in concert with GCHQ. Presumably GCHQ handles traffic from American data centers as a courtesy while the NSA taps the rest. No court process required.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

It doesn't have to be an SSL vulnerability. It could be fiber splicing, and/or someone within Google could be working for the NSA.

The diagram seems to be saying that Google's internal traffic is not encrypted. I believe it is saying that the traffic in encrypted between the load balancers / front ends and the end users, but not between the front end servers and the internal services. Even if Google's internal traffic was encrypted, the way level 7 load balancing works the traffic would be decrypted and reencrypted on the load balancer which means that it would pass through memory there in plain text.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Arkane posted:

As a tribute to this fine, if tragic, work of art, there is now an :nsa: smiley for your amusement. Godspeed :patriot:

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

confused posted:

The diagram seems to be saying that Google's internal traffic is not encrypted. I believe it is saying that the traffic in encrypted between the load balancers / front ends and the end users, but not between the front end servers and the internal services. Even if Google's internal traffic was encrypted, the way level 7 load balancing works the traffic would be decrypted and reencrypted on the load balancer which means that it would pass through memory there in plain text.

You may be saying the same thing, but the impression that I got was that the NSA was intercepting Google data being sync'd/backed up between its various datacenters. :nsa::fh:

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Kobayashi posted:

You may be saying the same thing, but the impression that I got was that the NSA was intercepting Google data being sync'd/backed up between its various datacenters. :nsa::fh:

I'm not sure about the intercept point, but internal web services will be spread across many datacenters for availability and geolocation reasons. Internal datacenters within a region will likely have dedicated fiber links between them as well. So tapping the network either at the front end or at one of the links will pretty much give you everything if your internal traffic isn't encrypted. That would explain why Google is on an internal encryption binge if what someone else posted is accurate. However, my point with the load balancers is that if you have a compromised employee (well, group of employees, most likely), they could still tap all of the data even if the internal network is totally encrypted.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

I think the first WaPo article states that MUSCULAR comes from an unnamed service provider who allowed the NSA to split Google's fiber.

What I mean is that it will be hard to secure their systems properly. From earlier releases, the NSA appears to either have fairly well broken SSL (aka TLS_RSA), or has a massive database of private keys (such that they consider "Decrypt all VPN traffic from Country X so I can identify users" to be a reasonable request for their system). If Google simply switches to SSL they reduce but do not eliminate their vulnerability. It depends on what kind of TLS they are using. If they can't just get the FISC to order Google to give up the key, or bribe some employee, the NSA certainly has the Key Recovery Service if needed, of course.

Google is grade-A prime beef for the NSA, I really hope they have several full-time tinfoil hat wearers on staff right now. As far as they can go legally, it's clear they go much farther.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 31, 2013

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tanith posted:

"Not to my knowledge"? Have we succeeded in compartmentalizing the NSA like a resistance cell?

NSA is beginning to basically resemble the nefarious organizations from the Splinter Cell series?

Yeah SSL isn't a end to end encryption system assuming you could do a man in middle type attack at the internal data center lines behind the demarc.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Can-O-Raid posted:

It would be pretty rich to hear the French complain about industrial espionage given that it's the field they continue to lead the world in, to the point that at one time GE executives were told not to fly with Air France lest they have their luggage rifled-through.
The government is just posturing to calm the incredible large amount of Frenchmen who aren't aware we have our own version of Echelon, an actual school of industrial and corporate espionage for military officers in Paris and a quite infamous reputation for industrial espionage. I think there was some diplomatic cables on Wikileaks with German ministers and CEOs crying to the US ambassador about the excessive and permanent pillaging and spying of the German industry by France. And considering that there were talks last year between France and the US about a mutual non-spying pact which ended up with Obama saying "no", it's not really a surprise that the NSA kept listing our phone calls, really. Unless you never read the press.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 31, 2013

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
All the spy words are in French, after all. Rendezvous, liaison, espionage...

Billy Idle
Sep 26, 2009

OwlBot 2000 posted:

All the spy words are in French, after all. Rendezvous, liaison, espionage...

It's why spy is the sexiest profession.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

etalian posted:

NSA is beginning to basically resemble the nefarious organizations from the Splinter Cell series?

Or any other technothriller antagonist, for that matter. I meant having Alexander insulated from enough details so that he can truthfully dodge things while under oath, but then again, apparently lying to congress is no big deal anyway. :nsa:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tanith posted:

Or any other technothriller antagonist, for that matter. I meant having Alexander insulated from enough details so that he can truthfully dodge things while under oath, but then again, apparently lying to congress is no big deal anyway. :nsa:

Plus having the balls to claim the leaked information isn't accurate despite being covered in all the top secret stamps.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Broken Machine posted:

As a tribute to this fine, if tragic, work of art, there is now an :nsa: smiley for your amusement. Godspeed :patriot:

YOSPOS, bitch. Who says the FYAD lites were or are never good for anything?

:rms2:
:yosbutt:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

etalian posted:

Yeah at this point I'm not entirely joking when I say I'm expecting the revelation of Alpha Protocol or some poo poo along those lines.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

It seems to me that a lot of the official responses are denials of accusations based on a tiny incongruity in said accusations.

"Did you spill that drink on the carpet?"
"No. Absolutely not. Never." (I bumped into the table, and the kinetic force transfer resulted in the drink falling on the ground.)

i am harry fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Mister Adequate posted:

Yeah at this point I'm not entirely joking when I say I'm expecting the revelation of Alpha Protocol or some poo poo along those lines.

While I loved Alpha Protocol, I'm not sure what you're referring to. What was the revelation again?

• Locked thread