Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

You been had! Hoodwinked, bamboozled, run amok!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Zand posted:

its actually spelled "gypped" and its a racist term that means "defrauded" or "swindled"

:rolleyes: In the abstract, maybe. Never known a person to use it with racial overtones. Maybe in the 19th Century, but c'mon.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

:rolleyes: In the abstract, maybe. Never known a person to use it with racial overtones. Maybe in the 19th Century, but c'mon.

The "racial overtones" are inherent to the word.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jacobin posted:

More regular people couldn't give much crap about whether someone 'hasn't pushed a commit in years' or 'had a patch accepted'. Who is the face of an issue? Who is advocating it? This matters just as much if its a political issue and a technical one.

Most regular people have literally never heard of him, and a lot of people in the know about such things don't consider him the face of anything.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

fishmech posted:

Most regular people have literally never heard of him, and a lot of people in the know about such things don't consider him the face of anything.

are... are you in the know? :stonk:

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

Zand posted:

its actually spelled "gypped" and its a racist term that means "defrauded" or "swindled"

Ok sorry I forgot it had a root meaning from the word gypsy. Anyways yes it felt devaluing.

fishmech posted:

The Real Foogla posted:

are... are you in the know? :stonk:

The guy was in Rolling Stone, regularly quoted in a mainstream German newspaper. Is about as regular and relateable as it comes from this field, is just what I am saying. Its all a bit poo poo.

Jacobin fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 11, 2016

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Jacobin posted:

Ok sorry I forgot it had a root meaning from the word gypsy. Anyways yes it felt devaluing.

Instead of using a potentially-offensive term, you could instead just say that he welshed on the deal, or that you expected more from him but he managed to jew you down.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Appelbaum is a known credit thief that regularly used his social power to force himself on people doing actual work, overshadowing and minimizing them to increase his own clout. That he's famous outside tech circles because of this behavior isn't an argument in his favor.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

pr0zac posted:

Appelbaum is a known credit thief that regularly used his social power to force himself on people doing actual work, overshadowing and minimizing them to increase his own clout. That he's famous outside tech circles because of this behavior isn't an argument in his favor.

Your absolutely right just sucks, there is a real need for communicators who can reach out of the circles but who arent abusive etc

Jacobin fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 11, 2016

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Jacobin posted:

The guy was in Rolling Stone, regularly quoted in a mainstream German newspaper. Is about as regular and relateable as it comes from this field, is just what I am saying. Its all a bit poo poo.

yeah, ok, but I was making fun of loving fishmech

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Seeing Jacob's horseshit exposed and subsequent comeuppance is a pleasure to many of us.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Real Foogla posted:

yeah, ok, but I was making fun of loving fishmech

Nobody cares about your meltdown.

pr0zac posted:

Exactly this. The ESR of "security".

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

In case you've forgotten, the FBI has access to a Tor 0day, and there's been a little legal dust-up over the matter as Tor tried to get access to it so they could patch it. The FBI has gotten tired of making legal arguments and has gone right ahead and classified their exploit.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Combed Thunderclap posted:

In case you've forgotten, the FBI has access to a Tor 0day, and there's been a little legal dust-up over the matter as Tor tried to get access to it so they could patch it. The FBI has gotten tired of making legal arguments and has gone right ahead and classified their exploit.

On top of this, as another side-effect of the Tor Playpen case, thanks to the presence of online hackers and/or you handing over your IP address when you access a website, a federal court has ruled that you have no "reasonable expectation of privacy" on your home computer, and, therefore, law enforcement does not need to get a warrant to hack into it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

On top of this, as another side-effect of the Tor Playpen case, thanks to the presence of online hackers and/or you handing over your IP address when you access a website, a federal court has ruled that you have no "reasonable expectation of privacy" on your home computer, and, therefore, law enforcement does not need to get a warrant to hack into it.
The logic give is particularly Orwellian---you only have an objectively reasonable expectation of privacy, it argues, if your computer can't be hacked. So if the Feds can in principle hack your computer then (by this decision) it is permissible for them to do so. Like that's actually what it argues---that a computer that would otherwise have Fourth Amendment protection doesn't merely if it is hackable. The decision compares it to a case (Minnesota v. Carter) in which it was found that a cop looking through broken window blinds didn't constitute a Fourth Amendment search:

US v. Matish, p. 53 posted:

Just as the area into which the officer in Carter peered - an apartment - usually is afforded Fourth Amendment protection, a computer afforded Fourth Amendment protection in other circumstances is not protected from Government actors who take advantage of an easily broken system to peer into a user's computer.
That's literally catch-22: they have the right to do anything you can't stop them from doing.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Except looking through your window blinds isn't generally a crime, hacking into a computer is explicitly illegal.

Which is likely why an appeals court is going to take one glance at this and say "wtf"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
However the actual laws we have to make hacking illegal are really awful to begin with.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

hobbesmaster posted:

Except looking through your window blinds isn't generally a crime, hacking into a computer is explicitly illegal.

Which is likely why an appeals court is going to take one glance at this and say "wtf"
A agree that it's unlikely to set precedent, but for other reasons. The argument you present isn't really a good one, as cops can, as a routine matter, do many things which it would be illegal for a random citizen to do. E.g. a cop can stop a suspect and pat them down without it being a Fourth Amendment search (per Terry v. Ohio) but if you or I attempted to do the same thing it would be assault.

But I think the Carter analogy is flawed because a broken window blind is in and of itself an objectively failed privacy protection (that is, with no further intervention on the part of anyone else), while a computer that is in principle vulnerable to attack is not---and in this case the computer wasn't just randomly leaking private information or anything, it was only doing so after malware was crafted specifically to perform that operation was placed on the computer. The fact that the FBI (or anyone else for that matter) has to make a really nontrivial investment in technology and infrastructure to be able to accomplish this is a pretty obvious facial challenge to any comparison to Carter.

I mean I think the issue is actually much broader---by a more or less identical argument you could say that no citizen has an objectively reasonable expectation of any of their rights, because it is clearly within the capabilities of the LEA community to deprive people of them. But that has never been and, hopefully, never will be a legal standard. This decision notwithstanding.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

pr0zac posted:

Source? I've never heard of him, I'm interested in knowing about what credits he's thieved and people he's minimized.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
The 'broken blinds' argument is a terrible analogy; it would be far more accurate to describe it as being like an easily picked lock.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Denver PD seizes $30k from citizens and uses it to license Geofeedia, acquiring the ability to simultaneously monitor posts on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Vine, Periscope, and Flickr, among others. Its location-based search capabilities enable police to vacuum up nearly every social media post emanating from within specified geographical boundaries. The tweets, photos, videos, and live broadcasts of anyone identified by the software within the area are intercepted and recorded by police through a process developers call “geo-fencing.”

Denver P.D. denied the Daily Dot access to records concerning the types of social media posts it has acquired through Geofeedia’s platform, describing the posts as “confidential intelligence information.” A request for access to any training materials, or paperwork that would describe the software’s functionality, was also denied. According to police, “the proprietary interests of the manufacturer outweighs any public purpose to be served by release” of said records, if they exist.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So this is like a Stingray but just for the Internet instead of phone calls?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

FlamingLiberal posted:

Except that this lets the police permanently store the ill-advised boob-flashes your teenage daughter is periscoping to her friends who are peer-pressuring her.

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.
That thing just sounds like a scraper that pulls in public social media and allows searching of geotags by distance. A teenager could build this from scratch over a weekend, or in 10 minutes starting from another scraper.

I wouldn't compare it to something as sophisticated and nefarious as stingray.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Nah, it's more like hired-gun scanning of social media to control police PR narratives, say, in the aftermath of protesting or police shootings or other instances of 'social disturbance.' Basically part of institutionally sponsored community policing.

http://thebaffler.com/salvos/social-media-spin-cantu

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Yahoo has been complicit in monitoring their users, scanning most or all users' email for the FBI, NSA, et al.

So far, Google, Microsoft, and Facebook have all denied doing this (or denied receiving this type of request), while Twitter has partially denied (due to a gag order and a lawsuit resulting from said gag order). If you still had a Yahoo account, might be a good idea to shut it down.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So is Tor still the way to go to help hide your network traffic? I figure this morning showed that I need to start taking my privacy a lot more seriously.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

IUG posted:

So is Tor still the way to go to help hide your network traffic? I figure this morning showed that I need to start taking my privacy a lot more seriously.

TAILS is an OS that will route all traffic through the tor network for you. You can run it via a bootable USB and it will wipe the memory well enough during the shutdown process - https://tails.boum.org/

Whonix is another option as an OS for forcing all traffic through the tor network. Whonix goes as far as compartmentalizing the routing of traffic to its own isolated virtual machine, which it calls the Gateway, and then having a separate VM as your Workstation which works with the Gateway to configure/maintain any connections - https://www.whonix.org/

Keep in mind though, its really important to understand that tor isn't a silver bullet or anything. Please understand this is a privacy tool, not inherently a security tool, and so you must rely on your own actions to a degree - https://www.torproject.org/download/download-easy.html.en#warning

Here's also a handy guide of what the tor browser does and doesn't protect you from:

quote:

TOR BROWSER CAN

+ Prevent the ISP [Internet Service Provider] or other folks on the wifi at a cafe from knowing which sites you’re visiting

+ Prevent a site you’re visiting from knowing who you are (unless you tell them)

+ Prevent a site you’re visiting from knowing that you’re the same person who visited them yesterday

————————————

TOR BROWSER CAN’T

+ Prevent the ISP from knowing you use Tor (normally)

+ Prevent a site you’re visiting from knowing you’re using Tor

+ Make other programs on your computer use Tor

+ Protect you from browser add-ons or plugins (like Flash [don’t add these])

+ Sanitize files that you download from the web

+ Protect you from malware

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

IUG posted:

US and allied (five eyes) intelligence agencies can and have in the past broken tor. If you're planning something that the secret service would be interested in due to President Elect Trump it won't work.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I hope the intelligence community is happy now, they will get to break all of the laws they want

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

US and allied (five eyes) intelligence agencies can and have in the past broken tor. If you're planning something that the secret service would be interested in due to President Elect Trump it won't work.

Yeah, I doubt that I'm going to be entirely anonymous online anymore. And it's not like I'm doing anything online that I don't want seen, except for downloading linux ISOs. However, if I can just hide the sites from my ISP just so they don't get cataloged or anything, I might as well give myself that privacy.

I'm just imagining the Patriot Act 2.0 coming out in the next few years.

EDIT: Does the bootable OS still work as well if I run it in a virtual image on my computer (Mac)? I don't think I would want it for my full OS, since I still use programs, like iTunes, that wouldn't work in this OS.

IUG fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 9, 2016

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

IUG posted:

Yeah, I doubt that I'm going to be entirely anonymous online anymore. And it's not like I'm doing anything online that I don't want seen, except for downloading linux ISOs. However, if I can just hide the sites from my ISP just so they don't get cataloged or anything, I might as well give myself that privacy.

I'm just imagining the Patriot Act 2.0 coming out in the next few years.

Ironically, using Tor makes you more interesting to the intelligence agencies, so it's sort of a lose-lose proposition.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
T dt y I

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Are there any other active threads similar to this one?

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

IUG posted:

And it's not like I'm doing anything online that I don't want seen, except for downloading linux ISOs.

Please don't run bit torrents through tor. Pay $5 a month for a VPN if you're worried about that.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

pr0zac posted:

Please don't run bit torrents through tor. Pay $5 a month for a VPN if you're worried about that.

Seriously. The oldest and most well-known endpoint identificaiton attack against TOR is based on targetting users stupid enough to use bittorrent over it. It's been known how to identify BT-over-TOR users for over 5 years.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Some chilling effect ITT.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
have we discussed the lovely wordart logos they gave some of these programs

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/28/us/politics/nsa-surveillance-terrorism-privacy.html

quote:

WASHINGTON — The National Security Agency is stopping one of the most disputed forms of its warrantless surveillance program in which it collects Americans’ emails and texts to and from people overseas and that mention a foreigner under surveillance, according to officials familiar with the matter.

National security officials have argued that such surveillance is lawful and helpful in identifying people who might have links to terrorism, espionage or otherwise are targeted for intelligence-gathering. The fact that the sender of such a message would know an email address or phone number associated with a surveillance target is grounds for suspicion, these officials argued.

But privacy advocates argue that such broad collection of information means the agency, with help from telecommunications companies, is intercepting communications based on what they say, rather than who has sent or received it.

The existence of this so-called “about the target” collection from network switches was first reported by The New York Times in 2013.

Waiting for more updates, but quite a development if confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

:laffo: I still have SA banner ads turned on after all these years, and still click for some stupid reason

Anyways...does poo poo like this work AT ALL?

https://easyvpnrouter.com/

Or is it another misapplication of confidence?

• Locked thread