Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

quote:

Sensenbrenner has called his bill the Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ending Eavesdropping, Dragnet-Collection, and Online Monitoring Act – or USA Freedom Act

I wonder how long it took them to think of that name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Good to see Alexander resort to doing the same thing the rest of us do when a third party has their poo poo - whine!

http://www.politico.com/blogs/under-the-radar/2013/10/nsa-chief-stop-reporters-selling-spy-documents-175896.html

quote:

The head of the embattled National Security Agency, Gen. Keith Alexander, is accusing journalists of "selling" his agency's documents and is calling for an end to the steady stream of public disclosures of secrets snatched by former contractor Edward Snowden.

"I think it’s wrong that that newspaper reporters have all these documents, the 50,000—whatever they have and are selling them and giving them out as if these—you know it just doesn’t make sense," Alexander said in an interview with the Defense Department's "Armed With Science" blog.

"We ought to come up with a way of stopping it. I don’t know how to do that. That’s more of the courts and the policymakers but, from my perspective, it’s wrong to allow this to go on," the NSA director declared.

Alexander did not elaborate on what he meant by reporters "selling" documents or what options he might consider for halting the disclosures. An NSA spokeswoman declined to expand on the general's comments.

The NSA director's frustration with the flurry of leaks appears to be building. The interview was posted Thursday, the same day the Guardian reported that the U.S. monitored calls of 35 world leaders after obtaining their phone numbers from other U.S. government officials.

On Wednesday, the White House reacted to reports of NSA monitoring of German Chancellor Angela Merkel by announcing that President Barack Obama had pledged to Merkel that the U.S. was not examining her communications and would not do in the future. White House spokespeople would not address reports of past monitoring of Merkel.

I agree! Maybe end the third party doctrine to start?

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Nah, she's just pushing the 'Obama didn't know' narrative and making token statements to quell anger. She's still the same ol NSA Feinstein.

Sancho fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Oct 29, 2013

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

quote:

And anyone curious who Germany spies on?

No? Not one drat bit. The German government can't do poo poo to me. My own government sure can tho!

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Thrasophius posted:

I've read that the EU wants to put trade restrictions on the US over all this, what would this imply for the world economy if it goes ahead? Do you guys think it'll just be a minor annoyance to both sides or a major set-back?

It won't ever happen. The EU is just as bad and is complicit with the USA in spying. They're just spouting off for youtube clips and other election fodder.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Snowden just got a job with a Russian company. I dunno why that pisses me off. We really should be bringing him back as a hero with a parade. Make him head of the NSA. Get him to fix the Obamacare website. Hell, anything but trying to ineffectively brand him as a traitor. So much untapped talent gone cause idiots wanna keep their power here.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Internet Webguy posted:

The restrictions are due to the fact that there are known bribes to the police and editors who are literally in bed with politicians. The culture of corruption goes deep within the industry because they have been allowed to get away with these kind of things for so long.

Isn't bribing police & politicians a crime for anyone over there with its own existing penalties?

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Great Britian is full of great ideas.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/07/us/cia-is-said-to-pay-att-for-call-data.html?_r=0

Calling it now. Public outrage causes the NSA to lose power and the other 40+ alphabet agencies that do the same thing to gain power. Firmly looking for a third party that is not American at this point.

quote:

The N.S.A. is subject to court-imposed rules about the standard that must be met before its analysts may gain access to its database, which contains records from multiple providers. The C.I.A. appears to have a freer hand, and officials said it had submitted significantly more queries to AT&T for data.

Watch my right hand...pay no attention to my left one.

Sancho fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 7, 2013

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

The more that gets released/leaked, the more likely the whole program will be fundamentally changed. I can at least count on Edward Snowden to release the relevant documents where the US government is unwilling.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Renesys reports that large-scale MITM attacks are now a reality. Not even just from the NSA. HTTP/2 with mandatory end-to-end encryption is sounding better and better all the time.

Someone's done a good analysis of the QUANTUM packet injection system, recommended by Bruce Schneier.

One of the most basic yet most versatile exploits:

In hilariously petty news, the NSA is suing to stop production of t-shirts that mock them.

http://www.voanews.com/content/nsa-squabbles-with-t-shirt-maker-over-free-speech/1790549.html

Good thing too, I was getting tired of reading those lame Federal Body Inspector t-shirts, which will certainly be next on the priority list, right?

I think they're used to getting companies to fall in line by bluffing them with stern letters. They're not used to going to real court, just secret court.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

It's ok tho it's more humane than outright imprisoning/killing them so we should do it. I wonder if intel guys really are brainwashed into thinking they're American heroes or something.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

It's a national security thing, just trust them.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

I'm sure they do. Now lets try and figure out how to get them to stop.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

The leaks are going to get worse and worse right up until midterms. This will be a voting issue as much as politicians really want the whole thing to go away.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Not before some major elections first though.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

About 14 or so years ago.

Agreed but if you haven't yet, now is a good time!

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

The rest of our insurance is poo poo in this country so why not?

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Private companies will throw a hissyfit that they are obligated to hold data longer than they'd like. The US gov't will just throw their hands in the air and say whelp we tried looks like we have to store it now.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

"Global war on terrorism" creeps me out every time I read it.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

King of Hamas posted:

Just because it is illegal does not mean that it is wrong, and Snowden did America and the world a favor by exposing the NSA's machinations. There should be whistleblower protections for individuals that want to expose government corruption but since America is a corrupt country there aren't. Your mindless legalism loses the greater issue.

Relax, history will treat Snowden well. Better than Obama. This NSA crap is stuck to his legacy like white on rice.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

What use does the NSA have for your fingerprint? They're much more interested in your contact list, your text messages, and your search history.

Maybe they can actually confirm a sim card to person relationship that way before they drone strike anyone else. Oh wait they don't give a poo poo. loving idiots in NS.

edit: pass on that info to the CIA or however they're involved I dunno.

Sancho fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 25, 2014

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

I utterly reject the statement that 'privacy is over.' Privacy is coming back in a big way and I'll shell out big bucks for those providers who can strengthen privacy.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

So what this indicates to me is now "privacy is now a commodity".

Obama's plan to boost GDP.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Pucker up dudes here it comes!

http://www.salon.com/2014/03/27/nsa_reform_bill_to_take_concerning_route/

I doubt they could actually get this to pass in the house right? Even if they rush this POS out, the house surely wouldn't vote on this over the USA Freedom Act or Amash's amendment right? :/.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

On the bright side I believe today is General Alexander's last day on the job. Good riddance and rot in hell.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Maybe everyone will switch to open source products. I'd love to see them try to just flat out make encrypted communication illegal.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

So the IRS 'lost' 2 years worth of emails and now smart-rear end republicans are calling on the NSA to deliver the goods. Funny poo poo all around.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

There is not enough funding in the world to make them happy when technology allows them to exceed the constraints of their manpower.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Good point. I think it really depends who those 248 people are.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Confirmed what we already knew:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2450080/fbi-cia-can-query-us-communications-collected-by-nsa.html

The FBI and CIA have access to US info from the NSA gathering, and at least the FBI does not track how many times they query it. FBI has authority to search the database for 'evidence of crimes'. Sweet country bro.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Could also be the lineup of Fox News & every AM talk show host. That would give enough fuel to the GOP for decades =/. God don't even want to think about that.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

So anyone who has ever done a google search for Tor is flagged for enhanced surveillance? Lol all I can do is laugh and wait for the paddy wagon to come in the night.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Zut Alors!

Welcome to the list bitches.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Miltank posted:

This is just about a worse case situation for these leaks, how could Greenwald have been so foolish? This could turn the NSA into a strictly partisan issue by the end of the week.

Yeah I see a lot of right-wing support for NSA reforms drying up here.

"Oh they were just spying on (American) MUSLIMS? Carry on then."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

lmao at the dems in power who dont give a gently caress. check back when trump is holding the reins of the nsa.

• Locked thread