Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Latest: Tag Team Caverna de pollos!

Hardmode solo caverna!

Bienvenidos

And welcome to the Guacamelee LP! This is going to be so awesome.

(Thread title means either [or both] "Stronger than death" or [and] "More serious than death". It's a nice sound AND a fine play on words, if I do say so myself! And yes, I know there's an accent in mas, but the thread title yelled at me for improper characters!)

===========================================================================

Bacter, answer us honestly: what is Guacamelee?

Guacamelee is a metroidvania/beat-em-up/side-scroller/art game with a dash of Ikaruga and some excellent, not-overdone silliness and character design.

In short, it's a potent amount of fun in a petit package, not unlike some of your spicier salsas. Mexican/Latin American metaphors are going to come up a lot in this game.

Why?

Well, Guacamelee is set somewhere vaguely south of the (American) border. You might be tempted at various times to think it's Mexico, Brazil, Peru... lots of those kinds of places. If anybody more fluent in geography and culture than I am can spot what is clearly supposed to be the setting for this game, let me know. Until then, the setting is officially "Magic Realism Latin America".

So what's the game about?

SO MUCH COOL STUFF YOU GUYS. There are evil skeleton charros, a gunslinger cursed by El Diablo himself to be on fire forever, which barely gets in the way of his heavy drinking, wacky themed luchadors, and it's all set during El Dia De Los Muertos, in what becomes this amazingly-well-drawn cultural pinata explosion.

Charros? Luchadors? Dia De Los Muertos? Bacter, I am so culturally ignorant it HURTS.

That's cool. I was too, before this game! And as is my custom, I've got a whole slew of awesome cultural artefacts and other extras just cooking away, ready to be released at a time of my choosing.

And as is your custom, will we be making our own ending and just generally thread participating as usual?

Actually, not this time, muchachos. Well, as relates to the ending. I know I've only done super-story-heavy adventure games so far, and there are more of those I want to LP in the future, but part of what I like here is branching out and doing some new games. Guacamelee doesn't really have enough of a story TO come up with an alternate ending. I still want thread participation, though!

How we gonna participate then, Bacter? BACK UP YOUR STATEMENTS.

Easy! One of my favorite parts about this game is how ABSOLUTELY CHOCK-FULL it is with references. TO games, internet memes, works of fiction and literature, there are just hundreds of the things.

So, be on the lookout for them! If you find one, list it in the comments, and you'll have claimed it. I'll say the goon who racks up the most references caught might just win themselves a FANCY PRIZE! Maybe more to come? Who knows.

So what all are you doing for this LP?

'Couple things.

1) BACTER PLAYS - This is a solo run, through hard mode, gonna get 100% of everything. And do it in a timely fashion. I don't mean to BRAG, but I am the 23rd fastest person in the entire world at beating this game, as of 10/9/2013.

2) TAG TEAM - I'll be co-commenting along with perennial favorite and near-human Mzbundifund, as he plays through the game for the first time. Normal mode (since you have to beat the game once to unlock hard mode), possibly 100% if he insists on finding everything, but not if he doesn't. Ima let him take the reigns and just shoot the breeze with him as he does. Give him some encouragement folks, he tries.

3) BONUS ROUND - This is going to contain a) the side quests and little extras in the game that I don't want to bog down the regular play-through with, and b) some special extra cultural stuff that I thought was neat enough to throw in the game.

Who knows what else'll happen later, but that's good for now I think.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

1) make sure you're watching the videos in HD!

2) There's a slight sync problem that isn't showing up on my test video - I'll fix it soon, but the video is still plenty watchable for now!

3) VVV

REFERENCES OWNAGE LIST (probably to be replaced by a pretty graphic at some point!)

Ulvirich
Majora's Mask

Six of Spades
Insanity Wolf
Mega Man
Mario Bros
Minecraft
O'rly owl

Neige
Me Gusta face
Grumpy Cat
Gato Grunon Cat Food!
"Gentlemen"

Stratavarius
Booster from Super Mario RPG
Link
Castle Crashers
Mr. Destructoid
Giant Bomb

dscruffy1
Link getting ready to bodyslam Ganondorf (in church)
ANGRY ROOSTER awesomesauce might be a reference to sriracha? (I'll count it!)
First ep. name
Fire Flower in Tule Tree

Choco Boco
Buisness Cat
Bachelor Frog
8bit MarioBit Trip Runner
Viva Piñata

Erik Shawn-Bohner
Sweet Tequila info

The Grundtvigian
Hernando's Hideaway
Awesome information about the -ucho suffix

Non-EuclideanCat
Prinny
Chozo Statues
Metroid statues (close enough!)

Hirayuki
Hablando del rey de roma idiom

Mr. Maltose
Magical Realism note

Nimby
Das Boot
Angry Birds

Fiendly
Tobasco sauce

Kangra
Superbrothers

Green Intern
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes

Lobster Horse
The mystery of the audio
Wario
Megaman pattern in wall
space invaders
Majora's mask warp points

Scribbleykins
Mega man energy tank

FH_Meta
8-bit Mario
Donkey Kong

TheGreatGildersneeze"
Escape Goat (Goat Trainer)
"SplinterFace," which is a nickname of the smug grin Splinter throws at the camera in the victory cutscene for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time for the SNES.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 5, 2014

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Spotted a Majora's Lucha Mask. :3: And you're right, the stylized graphics are amazing, same with the animations, also looking forward to the music tracks.

Edit: Why didn't you stay and hit the chickens repeatedly, likely nothing would happen.

Gum Drop
Aug 17, 2013

Competitive player of a dead game.

Ulvirich posted:

Spotted a Majora's Lucha Mask. :3:

There's quite a number of references like that in this game. This is a fun rear end game, though.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
I also noticed an Insanity Wolf Tequila, the Majora's Mask Guy was fighting a Mega Man luchador, A poster advertising luchador Mario Bros. and the mining shop had a Minecraft-style pickaxe in its logo.

You're right about it being hella reference-heavy, though I'm not sure how I feel about straight up internet memes being there. There had BETTER be Manny Calavera in there somewhere.

I'm with you about the art direction being really cool. Paralax backgrounds are nothing new, but always look dope when they scroll at just the right speed and with enough moving parts. The way power up/ability get text flashes at you is cool too, in an epilepsy-inducing kind of way.

Edit: Wow, a lot of internet references. I didn't think people even used the 'o rly' thing any more.

Six Of Spades fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Oct 11, 2013

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
God drat this game is fun. I really need to go back and do a proper 100% run one of these days.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Incidentally, the absolutely excellent song at the beginning that I cut in is Ileso by Control Machete. It's been in my "running songs" mix for a WHILE now.

Edit for Strat: I get your point, BUT consider that most of these are intended to be viewed out of the corner of your eye as you dash past - just window dressing in a very stylized environment.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Oct 11, 2013

Stratavarius
Nov 6, 2012
This is a pretty cool game. I had heard a bit about it, but seeing it play out is actually seems really fun.

Also, I'm pretty sure that is a picture of Booster from Super Mario RPG in the house in Santa Luchita, Link was in a few places as a luchador, Castle Crashers, and Mr. Destructoid VS Giant Bomb poster.

And yeah, there seems to be a ton of references just shoved in there, particularly bad internet memes. It's honestly a bit overdone already and the game seems to have barely started. I just wish they were a little more subtle or more clever.

Gum Drop
Aug 17, 2013

Stratavarius posted:

And yeah, there seems to be a ton of references just shoved in there, particularly bad internet memes. It's honestly a bit overdone already and the game seems to have barely started. I just wish they were a little more subtle or more clever.

You've more or less seen all instances of these kind of references in the game. There's only the two towns, and the posters mostly only appear in or right outside of them. There's a few more in the land of the dead which you go to later, but that's basically it.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Alternate working thread title: So You Juan To Be A Hero.

I wanted to do this myself but I have faith in you. :arghfist::saddowns:

e: Nobody mentioned it, but the middle window in the church is definitely Link getting ready to bodyslam Ganondorf. And ANGRY ROOSTER awesomesauce might be a reference to sriracha?

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 11, 2013

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.
No one noticed Me Gusta Guava, with the Me Gusta face (29:48)? I think I also saw Grumpy Cat as well.

EDIT: 32:01! Gato Grunon Cat Food! Blink and you'll miss it!
EDIT the second: "Gentlemen" Churros at 32:32!

Neige fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 11, 2013

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I fell off of this game right before the last level when I realized what I was up against for a proper ending Tree Tops :argh: but it was a blast up until then.

As far as the references go, there's a few groaners but I think they put enough flavor in them that it doesn't matter.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Oh yeah, I should mention that spoilers, except really dumb egregious ones like"hey guys this is the bad guys master plan!!" are fine.

The tree tops are absolutely evil platforming, which I'm now able to do with under 10 errors, due to Stockholm Syndrome and muscle memory.

Edit: Also, the metroid and choozo statues are still up for grabs, yo!

And am I wrong in thinking that the finger-pointing staff in the goattrainer's hut is probably a reference to something?

Bacter fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 11, 2013

Gum Drop
Aug 17, 2013

Rodyle posted:

I fell off of this game right before the last level when I realized what I was up against for a proper ending Tree Tops :argh: but it was a blast up until then.

Megaman platforms was also a hard one, but Tree Tops was insane.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

infinitycanvas posted:

Megaman platforms was also a hard one, but Tree Tops was insane.
I really liked the "bonus" challenges, they had the right amount of bullshit in them to be hard without at any time looking cheap. Whenever I failed it was always my mistake, even if said mistake was missing an half a second window after other three of those in a row.
Having said that: "Psyche":argh:

Bacter posted:

yellow skeletons
:argh: I think those are my most hated enemies in the game.
Hold on, what do you mean if they get hit by a downward punch they can't dodge the followup combo? :bang::bang::bang:

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Yeah, it took me until my second play-through to realize that one. I honestly have no idea how I would have managed flame face on hard without that piece of knowledge.

And there is a LOT of competition for most-hated enemy for me. Large numbers of chupacabras, those energy-wing guys, yellow guys combined with enormous esqueletos, there is a lot of competition for awful.

VIDEO IS UN-DE-SYNC'D

Bacter fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 11, 2013

Choco Boco
Aug 20, 2013
Ah man, I still need to finish this game. Excited to see it LP'd though

I noticed Buisness Cat (Gato Negocio) VS Bachelor Frog (Rana Soltero) in the first town, around 4:01.

E: Also found an 8bit Mario in the wall at 28:41 and the Bit Trip Runner guy at 30:55. And has no one claimed Viva Piñata?

Choco Boco fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 11, 2013

Gum Drop
Aug 17, 2013

So you're going to do the third Caverna Del Pollo as Skelton for the Steam chives, right? :valvebeta::valvebeta::valvebeta:

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

I've actually done a full play through on hard never changing out of skeleton - the question is how much of it is interesting to show! I'll at LEAST show off that achievement

Pfefferbao
Jun 1, 2011
This is a quite beautiful game. It's clear that there was a lot of care and love put into it.

Little baby chickens :3:

Gum Drop
Aug 17, 2013

Bacter posted:

I've actually done a full play through on hard never changing out of skeleton - the question is how much of it is interesting to show! I'll at LEAST show off that achievement

The only other achievement I would say definitely show off is The Old-Fashioned Way. The real way, not the cheat way.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Btw, by EXECUTIVE ORDER:

Good gameplay tips (that I'm missing out on)
Fanart/original creations
Notes about the setting/characters/whatever

Are also redeemable for prize cred, and NOT necessarily on a 1:1 exchange rate(!)

Erik Shawn-Bohner
Mar 21, 2010

by XyloJW
Unless the developers don't know anything about tequila or are purposefully ignoring it, the setting of this game is definitely in Mexico. There's international treaties to respect Mexico's laws that tequila can only be produced in Jalisco (which is where blue agave is native and commercially grown for the purpose of making tequila) and a few small, select parts of other regions. It can't be marked as tequila unless it meets those and other legal specifications. Spirits produced from other breeds of agave or in other regions is mezcal, the stuff with the worm in it.

That'd place the geography as (most likely) Jalisco, Mexico which is western-central.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Man, I kept seeing things that I sort of vaguely knew were from the internet and then googling them to find out their name and everyone had already got them all :(

Also, at 30:09 there's graffiti on the wall of the eagle eating the snake that's on the Mexican flag so seems like it's probably Mexico to me!

^well that's a much better informed and more specific guess

CestMoi fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 11, 2013

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

:dance: Loved what I played of this game. That said, the coordination required later on grated on me something horrible. I ended up stopping because drat I'M GETTING BAD AT THESE PLATFORMING SEGMENTS.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Bacter posted:

Yeah, it took me until my second play-through to realize that one. I honestly have no idea how I would have managed flame face on hard without that piece of knowledge.
Dodge was my best friend throughout the whole game. In alternative, 2 standard attacks and a special (preferably rooster uppercut for the launch and the air combo), piledrive the rear end in a top hat yellow whenever it's possible.

Bacter posted:

And there is a LOT of competition for most-hated enemy for me. Large numbers of chupacabras, those energy-wing guys, yellow guys combined with enormous esqueletos, there is a lot of competition for awful.
I think my go-to for that last one was rooster uppercut into air combo, the instant the big guy tries anything use a forward special if I'm in the air / dodge behind if on the ground, repeat. Piledrivers to spice, other specials if stamina permits.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
It's cool how this game has made you much more knowledgeable of south american culture. I salute your intellectual curiosity!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Erik Shawn-Bohner posted:

Unless the developers don't know anything about tequila or are purposefully ignoring it, the setting of this game is definitely in Mexico. There's international treaties to respect Mexico's laws that tequila can only be produced in Jalisco (which is where blue agave is native and commercially grown for the purpose of making tequila) and a few small, select parts of other regions. It can't be marked as tequila unless it meets those and other legal specifications. Spirits produced from other breeds of agave or in other regions is mezcal, the stuff with the worm in it.

That'd place the geography as (most likely) Jalisco, Mexico which is western-central.

I didn't realize booze was such serious business.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Aw yeah, I picked this up myself not too long ago. I haven't quite figured the game out yet but it's pretty satisfying when you put together one of those huge 50 hit combos.

Non-EuclideanCat
Nov 9, 2009
I want to say Tutorial Chicken's "dood" is a Prinny reference, but I don't know if it's enough of a thing to count.

Bacter posted:

Edit: Also, the metroid and choozo statues are still up for grabs, yo!

That just feels like cheating.

Rodyle posted:

I didn't realize booze was such serious business.

Similarly, there are numerous trade agreements in place that make it so that the name "bourbon" can only be applied to the drink if it was made in the U.S.

Gum Drop
Aug 17, 2013

I'll hold off sharing my easy mode strats for beating the combo challenge rooms until you get to them, however one really effective strategy I found for fights is that your special attacks can be interrupted with a dodge. Most special attacks have an attack animation with a long pause at the end, which you can completely negate with the dodge. It keeps you moving and following behind your enemies to continue your combos. If you have a lot of stamina and the blue skill, you can speed up general travel time doing this, too.

The Grundtvigian
Mar 16, 2006

bork bork bork!
*cha cha cha*
"Pueblucho" (also seen as "poblacho" in some areas) is actually a Spanish slang word, used throughout Latin America to mean "lousy one-horse cowtown." :eng101:

edit: The local bar being "Hernando's" is likely a reference to the familiar old song "Hernando's Hideaway."

The Grundtvigian fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Oct 12, 2013

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Ahhh so cool, Grundtvigian!

So I knew the -ito suffix was diminutive, but the idea was that it was endearing. So a pueblo is a town, a pueblito would be a fun, quaint, cute little town, but -ucho is dimunutive and kind of pejorative, so a pueblucho is a crappy town, a casucho is a run-down little shack of a house, etc.

I just love that there are suffixes for both calling something small, both in the cute and the crappy sense. Spanish is pretty awesome, you guys!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

You mentioned that "king of Rome" was a mild expletive in Spanish; in this case, Frey seemed to be saying "Speaking of the King of Rome...[and through the door he appears]" as we say "Speak of the devil...[and he will appear]" The two were discussing El Presidente's daughter when she walked in the door.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Oh hey, Guacamelee! This game rocks!

Oh hey, Guacamelee. This game is not Magical Realism. To be fair, there are a lot of people who get the genre confused with general fantasty, some people even say that Magical Realism is Fantasy by South Americans. The people who say that are fuckers and will be up against the wall when the time comes. Guacamelee is super cool fantasy with a fresh Mexican setting, but it lacks a lot of elements that make Magical Realism. Mostly the Realism. The genre is defined by a hyper-realist presentation of setting and life, except there's always the single exception where something fantastic or magical is present. However, even that supernatural element is discussed and approached in a realist manner.

Guacamelee would probably be a pretty boring game if it was Magical Realist. Instead it's just balls to the wall and great for it.

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

Bacter posted:

Ahhh so cool, Grundtvigian!

So I knew the -ito suffix was diminutive, but the idea was that it was endearing. So a pueblo is a town, a pueblito would be a fun, quaint, cute little town, but -ucho is dimunutive and kind of pejorative, so a pueblucho is a crappy town, a casucho is a run-down little shack of a house, etc.

I just love that there are suffixes for both calling something small, both in the cute and the crappy sense. Spanish is pretty awesome, you guys!

I apologize beforehand for the nitpick, but the word you were looking for a run-down little shack of a house is "casucha" because "casucho" would only come in a semantically awkward manner from "caso" (making it mean as an absolutely insignificant case) through the First Rule of dealing with Spanish/Italian/Romance Nouns stating that, barring some exceptions, appended suffixes, articles and adjectives should match with the gender and number of the intended noun in the same way "un-a casa" (a house) can become "un-a cas-uch-a apart-ad-a" (a far/removed/separate run-down little shack of a house).

Just another aspect of Latin-based languages becoming quite fun when they're seen as multi-layered puzzle games.

Also, while -ucho is usually a strong pejorative in the semantic vacuum, it can also lead to a really tongue-in-cheek way to talk about anything and it's really a big mark of how much trust was earned if someone calls you with one of those nouns and there's no hint of malice in the tone.

Anyways, this game impress me with how fitting it is for its setting to be described as "Fantasy Mexico", starting with all the motifs for el Día de los Muertos: Here in Venezuela as well as nearby South-american countries, delivering flowers to the loved ones' graves quietly is enough to celebrate November the 2nd instead of all enthusiasm and color that's given in the Mexican take on the date's celebrations.

And last but not least, "Cachito de Corazón" might be one of the most :3: ways to signal getting more health.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Could Angry Rooster be a reference to Angry Birds?

Also a cheap, easy reference: Das Boot is a movie!

This game gives me a very 'Grim Fandango' vibe, even the art looks kinda the same.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Omobono posted:

I think my go-to for that last one was rooster uppercut into air combo, the instant the big guy tries anything use a forward special if I'm in the air / dodge behind if on the ground, repeat. Piledrivers to spice, other specials if stamina permits.

My life totally changed when I realized you could dodgeroll out of their attacks.

Suspect Bucket posted:

It's cool how this game has made you much more knowledgeable of south american culture. I salute your intellectual curiosity!

Oh man, you ain't seen nothin' yet. There's so much to go through!

infinitycanvas posted:

If you have a lot of stamina and the blue skill, you can speed up general travel time doing this, too.

I bet this is INSANE with the skeleton suit. But is it really faster than just constant dodge-rolling?

Hirayuki posted:

You mentioned that "king of Rome" was a mild expletive in Spanish; in this case, Frey seemed to be saying "Speaking of the King of Rome...[and through the door he appears]" as we say "Speak of the devil...[and he will appear]" The two were discussing El Presidente's daughter when she walked in the door.

Ahh awesome! Alright points for the idiom! And because I'm an idio...t?

Mr. Maltose posted:

"Magical Realism"

You know, I admit to my shame that I probably only said Magical Realism because of the general Latin America/South American setting. Still, I should do a lil' video about Magic Realism because it's an insane and awesome genre!

AstraSage posted:

[Spanish stuff]
[Note about -ucho]
[Note about DDLM in Venezuela]

And last but not least, "Cachito de Corazón" might be one of the most :3: ways to signal getting more health.

I didn't even look it up until now, but it ABSOLUTELY is. And it's true that for a doofus like me, Spanish is a puzzle (if you ever listen to me talk in Spanish, it will impress you how out of my way I go to use only present tense!), I really like the huge variety of ways to express your feelings over something.

Is it a little place that you like? Is it a dumpy shack? Is it some beat-up old place that you really actually do like but you know isn't really posh? All these terms are VERY CLOSE to each other!

nimby posted:

This game gives me a very 'Grim Fandango' vibe, even the art looks kinda the same.

Funny you should say that...

Oh incidentally, for anybody who's in a place where DDLM (día de los muertos) is celebrated, I'm putting together my first little cultural note on it, and I wanted some good songs, not necessarially traditional, but ones you'd associate with the holiday.

So far I've got:

El pajarito verde
El agachadito
La polla pinta
El 4 vueltas
Los frijolitos pintos
Los comanches
El rapidito
Los huaraches
Los enanos
Los Matlachines
El zopilote

And after that I'll probably just throw in something else by Control Machete, who I am now obsessed with. But I'd take additions to that list, too!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 12, 2013

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

nimby posted:

Could Angry Rooster be a reference to Angry Birds?

Could be, but I think it's a reference to sriracha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gum Drop
Aug 17, 2013

Bacter posted:

I bet this is INSANE with the skeleton suit. But is it really faster than just constant dodge-rolling?

Well you still get that speed from dodge, but between each dodge you also get the first half of the blue animation.

• Locked thread