Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Slate Action posted:

I drew Mega Starmie:

Needs more spikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Jeez mega Venasaur is a tank. He removes the weakness to ice and fire, gets a big boost to defense to make it as high as his special attack and defense. Still though Venasaur's main use is chlorophyll.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Zaphod42 posted:

Really? If you only get one, why? That's just a sucker move.

I mean I guess if you just really hate that pokemon or something. :confused:

I mean it's still bad to only give one per file, but I don't plan on using a lot of the megas and the ones I want to use aren't version exclusive so I might as well give mine away since they won't be any use to me. v:shobon:v

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Wait-wait-wait, do you only get one MegaStone, or can you have multiple of the same one? Like can I have multiple Houndoomites?

... Seriously this kind of decides if I wanna get another game. :ohdear:

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Nobody knows. I can't imagine them giving you only one, though, that's dickish.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

LightningKimba posted:

Wait-wait-wait, do you only get one MegaStone, or can you have multiple of the same one? Like can I have multiple Houndoomites?

... Seriously this kind of decides if I wanna get another game. :ohdear:

Not sure I get why it matters, since you can only have one mega-evolved pokemon per team.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Sade posted:

Not sure I get why it matters, since you can only have one mega-evolved pokemon per team.

What if I wanted ALL the stones? When there is something to collect I must collect them all.

(Games like DK64 were hell for me when it comes to that mentality)

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Don't misinterpret that, though - you can have as many Pokémon on your team holding Mega Stones as you want, you just can only Mega Evolve one per battle.

Inspector Zenigata
Jul 19, 2010

- - -

Inspector Zenigata fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Apr 3, 2014

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Intimidate drops the foe's Attack one stage, so it sticks around until they switch out. Chlorophyll affects the stat directly, so once it's gone so is its effect.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Sade posted:

Since there are version exclusive Mega Stones, for you to use Aggronite or whatever, someone needs to trade you their very exclusive one-of-a-kind stone.. which very few people will actually do if you can't get more.

Also you might accidentally trade it away and then goodbye Megamawile forever :(

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

maketakunai posted:

Since there are version exclusive Mega Stones, for you to use Aggronite or whatever, someone needs to trade you their very exclusive one-of-a-kind stone.. which very few people will actually do if you can't get more.

Also you might accidentally trade it away and then goodbye Megamawile forever :(

Aight, fair enough. I can't imagine they wouldn't give you a way to re-acquire mega stones though.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Speaking of Manectric, has someone found out yet what happens when a Mega evolved pokemon uses moves like Trick/Switcheroo? I'm pretty much sure that various other megas also have access to those.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

So far as I know, it fails.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

qnqnx posted:

Speaking of Manectric, has someone found out yet what happens when a Mega evolved pokemon uses moves like Trick/Switcheroo? I'm pretty much sure that various other megas also have access to those.

There are items that Trick doesn't work on, so it's probable that it just doesn't do anything.

quote:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Trick_(move)

It fails if ... either Pokémon is holding Griseous Orb or Mail... It also fails if either Pokémon has Multitype and either of the swapped items is a Plate.

Trick will now succeed with a Griseous Orb as long as neither the user nor the target is Giratina.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

It almost seems like mega stone collecting is the new legendary hunting. I can deal with that.

Does anybody know if 24-hour stores like Wal-Mart or Meijer will be putting the game on shelves at midnight? I know it's common on new release Tuesdays but Nintendo always releases games on weird days.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

It almost seems like mega stone collecting is the new legendary hunting. I can deal with that.

Does anybody know if 24-hour stores like Wal-Mart or Meijer will be putting the game on shelves at midnight? I know it's common on new release Tuesdays but Nintendo always releases games on weird days.

It's probably left up to the store. Call ahead and see. If your walmart's electronics dept manager is in tune with the pokemon thing they might even be doing a midnight release event.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Isn't it weird to only have about 69 new Pokemon made for Gen 6. I know a lot of the new Pokemon are in the Mega Pokemon, but they at least could have gotten to 90 or 100 new Pokemon. Even Diamond and Pearl had 107 new Pokemon.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Jarogue posted:

Isn't it weird to only have about 69 new Pokemon made for Gen 6. I know a lot of the new Pokemon are in the Mega Pokemon, but they at least could have gotten to 90 or 100 new Pokemon. Even Diamond and Pearl had 107 new Pokemon.

They also had to update the previous 700 pokemon with new models and animations, as well as model and animate every move in the game.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

Jarogue posted:

Most of those were pre-evos and evolutions. Basically what Megas are doing but worse.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Jarogue posted:

Consensus is that the development time that would have otherwise gone to designing more new Pokemon instead went to modeling and animating all 718 Pokemon plus Megas in 3D.

Inspector Zenigata
Jul 19, 2010

- - -

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Crosscontaminant posted:

Houndoom is another cross-pollination Mega Evolution - it's X-exclusive but Houndoominite is only found in Y.

Devs have been watching way too much Naruto, clearly.

Our Gamestop sucks butt and aren't doing a midnight thing, neither is our Best Buy. It's a sad day when your best hope is a drat Wal-Mart purely on the basis of them being open all the time. :mad:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Inspector Zenigata posted:

I disagree; megas are being given to things that deserved to get real evolutions, basically precluding them from ever getting real ones. Megas are quite different than real evolutions in gameplay, too. Plus most mega evolutions are just adding spikes and shoulderpads to the previous models, rather than looking like a truly distinct form. 69-75 new pokemon is fine, I just wish that some of the megas were actual evolutions instead of being restricted by this silly gimmick.

Do we know for a fact that 'getting a mega evolution' is a guarantee that there will never be a new regular evolution for that pokemon? I haven't seen any confirmation on that one way or the other.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Jarogue posted:

Discounting legendaries, Diamond and Pearl introduced 31 new families, and gen VI introduced...31 new families! Of course with legendaries gen 4 goes farther but gen 4 also had too many legendaries.

gently caress evolutions, I care about brand new things, which this generation has plenty of.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.
Mega Houndoom is too great godbless

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I disagree; megas are being given to things that deserved to get real evolutions, basically precluding them from ever getting real ones. Megas are quite different than real evolutions in gameplay, too. Plus most mega evolutions are just adding spikes and shoulderpads to the previous models, rather than looking like a truly distinct form. 69-75 new pokemon is fine, I just wish that some of the megas were actual evolutions instead of being restricted by this silly gimmick.
These mega evolutions still embody the same gimmicks as before.

Yeah, but they've got a new hat!

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Crosscontaminant posted:

Mega Manectric is still Electric-type and has Intimidate.

Manectric has always been the most awkward-looking pokemon to me and this just solidifies it :allears:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

jivjov posted:

Do we know for a fact that 'getting a mega evolution' is a guarantee that there will never be a new regular evolution for that pokemon? I haven't seen any confirmation on that one way or the other.

No, but it seems likely, doesn't it? It doesn't really make more sense to give a pokemon with a Mega evolution another evolution.
I suppose they could treat the Mega Stone like Eviolite in that case, in that you get a benefit from not evolving the pokemon.

Then again, many of the pokemon who got megas already felt "complete" to me. An evolution wouldn't have made sense (to me) for Pinser--where do you go from a giant badass bug? The Mega Evolution forme allows them to improve it (that is, keep up with power creep (and give it wings!)) without trying to shoehorn in a new evolution for that pokemon.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
There's definitely an imbalance with the Mega evolutions where some of them are viable in either form (like Gengar) but some of them really need the Mega form to be viable (Mawile). If you see someone toss out a Gengar in competitive play, you have to wonder whether or not it'll Mega evolve and change the situation, but if you see Mawile come out you know what's about to happen.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Sade posted:

They also had to update the previous 700 pokemon with new models and animations, as well as model and animate every move in the game.

Its not like making 3D models is new to Pokemon, just like at XD, Colosseum, and Battle Revolution. And Mega evolution shouldn't take that much time since only the last evolution a Pokemon get one. There also maybe that every pokemon might not get a Mega evolution.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Slate Action posted:

There's definitely an imbalance with the Mega evolutions where some of them are viable in either form (like Gengar) but some of them really need the Mega form to be viable (Mawile). If you see someone toss out a Gengar in competitive play, you have to wonder whether or not it'll Mega evolve and change the situation, but if you see Mawile come out you know what's about to happen.
:objection:

Mawile actually has several very good sets in NU. (Mostly buff and utility.) The surprise factor might just be enough to keep them afloat in higher tiers.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Slate Action posted:

If you see someone toss out a Gengar in competitive play, you have to wonder whether or not it'll Mega evolve and change the situation, but if you see Mawile come out you know what's about to happen.

A Baton Pass team?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Is there gonna be a different thread for pokemon trading or will we just use this one? Between trade evos and version exclusive stones I suspect there'll be a lot of posts about it.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

The Leper Colon V posted:

:objection:

Mawile actually has several very good sets in NU. (Mostly buff and utility.) The surprise factor might just be enough to keep them afloat in higher tiers.

Yeah, but is having one strong option and one gimmick option really as good as having two strong options? You could run a surprise set on almost anything.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Is there gonna be a different thread for pokemon trading or will we just use this one? Between trade evos and version exclusive stones I suspect there'll be a lot of posts about it.

There's always a thread in Private Game Servers for trading.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Solumin posted:

No, but it seems likely, doesn't it? It doesn't really make more sense to give a pokemon with a Mega evolution another evolution.
I suppose they could treat the Mega Stone like Eviolite in that case, in that you get a benefit from not evolving the pokemon.

Then again, many of the pokemon who got megas already felt "complete" to me. An evolution wouldn't have made sense (to me) for Pinser--where do you go from a giant badass bug? The Mega Evolution forme allows them to improve it (that is, keep up with power creep (and give it wings!)) without trying to shoehorn in a new evolution for that pokemon.

It's just as likely that current mega evolutions will just become a regular, permanent evolution somewhere down the line. Or a split evolution where you can either keep it in a current form for mega evolution potential OR evolve it permanently into something new. Or something else entirely, who knows? I doubt even GameFreak does at this point. Let's not assume anything about future games when this one isn't even officially out everywhere yet.

Inspector Zenigata
Jul 19, 2010

- - -

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

I disagree; megas are being given to things that deserved to get real evolutions,
Which is the only reason I am awaiting a Farfetch'dite

You guys gotta see Masquerain in game, it flaps it's little wings ridiculously fast to keep itself afloat it's so adobrable goddamnit :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Not as a guarantee, but it seems pretty unlikely that they'd give the single-stage pokemon who now can mega evolve a regular evolution now that they have the ability to mega evolve.

If Game Freak wanted, they can just leave Mega stones in Gen 6. They did it to the Berserk Gene.

• Locked thread