Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

veekie posted:

Some kind of bonus when your real life and character skills match huh.

More a matter of knowing how to cook. Presumably cooking poorly will create a ungodly blob of death even if you've maxed out chef class, so you need to have the skill level and the knowledge, hence the Crescent Moon Alliance's chef looking to Nyanta for advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Conot posted:

More a matter of knowing how to cook. Presumably cooking poorly will create a ungodly blob of death even if you've maxed out chef class, so you need to have the skill level and the knowledge, hence the Crescent Moon Alliance's chef looking to Nyanta for advice.

Maybe not that serious, but if you make tasty food by simulating real-life cooking, it stands to reason that a genius real-life cook with the requisite permissions would make extremely tasty food, just like I imagine that a real-life martial artist would do quite well with the new combat system.

In other words, if you have the in-game skills, you can make the food. If you're skilled in real-life cookery, you probably know what to do to make it delicious.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Wonder if that applies to other sub class skills.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

^^^ ninja e: An irl Princess Rosegarden. :allears: ^^^

Conot posted:

Marie > Naoutsugu (?)

I think this is more of a Awww, he's squirming, isn't he cute? :3::byodood: kind of thing.

Darth Walrus posted:

Maybe not that serious, but if you make tasty food by simulating real-life cooking, it stands to reason that a genius real-life cook with the requisite permissions would make extremely tasty food, just like I imagine that a real-life martial artist would do quite well with the new combat system.

In other words, if you have the in-game skills, you can make the food. If you're skilled in real-life cookery, you probably know what to do to make it delicious.

I think this post nailed it. I found it interesting that one of the extras was saying that the cresent burger probably tastes like nothing or salt. I admit that a number of dishes I failed at looked good but ultimately tasted like salt. Now I actually taste my cooking while in progress instead of stick to the recipe and misread it :v:.

Also, a person with no experience in cooking would see a recipe calling for meat, and think meat is meat. That isn't the case in life where one animal tastes way different than others and in game when Nyanta said the giant boar is no good because it's too strong.

It was a nice little twist that I appreciated. Looking forward to the next episode. Don't know where Shiroe is going with his plan now.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

^^^ ninja e: An irl Princess Rosegarden. :allears: ^^^
All you need to do is to be able to act hilariously smug. And know how to laugh like a noblewoman!

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Also, a person with no experience in cooking would see a recipe calling for meat, and think meat is meat. That isn't the case in life where one animal tastes way different than others and in game when Nyanta said the giant boar is no good because it's too strong.

Would make some good stew, though not much good for burger. They need a Specials menu for rare ingredient items.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

At first I thought Shiroe's plan was to get other guilds to join in on the cooking so they can have more stores, somehow uniting everyone to be happy or whatever because they are working towards a common goal. But after the "you can buy buildings" reveal buying the guild hall and throwing out the exp-potion farmers does sound more plausible.

Demicol fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 18, 2013

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

A: Would anyone who's actually eaten meat really think that? I mean, I can't imagine someone going "Oh yeah, this beefburger recipe will work just fine with squab!"

B: I wondered why they couldn't mix the giant boar meat with regular meat to get a burger that was a bit stronger than usual but not overpowering. Maybe the cooking system doesn't allow for it, though...

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
They're probably working on RPG cooking logic, where a meat item is a meat item and taste doesn't matter(because you can't taste it anyway).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, they were doing really detailed stuff like checking the salt balance, which you probably want a RL cook to help you with if you have no RL cooking skills.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Most likely, Nyanta just happened to be the first in the region to figure out that RL cooking makes food taste like food. I assume that other cooks were still concerned with the RPG cooking mechanics and/or are not good cooks in RL. We can't say for sure that he was the first in the world, but within Akihabara why not?

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Also, the odds of a good cook also picking the chef subclass and having a decent level in it doesn't seem likely. Imagine if you're a professional chef, but because your chef level is too low or nonexistent, your best recipes just turn to slime. You'd probably write it off as a bust.

The most likely to discover how it works is a guy who not only knows how to cook, but has also maxed the chef subclass, so that all their cooking skills can be employed. Not sure how popular leveling subclasses would be either, since they'd be time consuming to grind.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Yeah, veekie and Viggy pretty much covered what I meant.

-If you're an awesome cook IRL, but have level 1 cooking ingame you will fail most cooking attempts because the food is beyond your level. The guy who made the bowl of purple blob showed us that. I'm assuming he was knowledgable in cooking because of his surprise of the failure and Nyanta's explaination.
-If you have level 90 cooking, but burn cereal while making it IRL you'll either depend on the ingame interface to cook(which makes the food taste like nothing) or you'll make stuff that tastes like crap.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Was it ever said what the Chef subclass did mechanically in the game besides making special foods? Depending on its utility, it may have not been picked up compared to other traditional crafting classes or those with greater utility.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Xelkelvos posted:

Was it ever said what the Chef subclass did mechanically in the game besides making special foods? Depending on its utility, it may have not been picked up compared to other traditional crafting classes or those with greater utility.

Given that there is some kind of maid subclass dedicated to cleaning, I dare say a good number of the subclasses do nothing but roleplay actions until the apocalypse.

Now I wonder if there's some way for Serara abuse her high cleaning skill level with real cleaning skills.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

veekie posted:

Given that there is some kind of maid subclass dedicated to cleaning, I dare say a good number of the subclasses do nothing but roleplay actions until the apocalypse.

Now I wonder if there's some way for Serara abuse her high cleaning skill level with real cleaning skills.

Shiroe tries to get enough money, falls 2 million gold short. Serara uses her maid skill to find loose change everywhere and adds 2 million gold herself. Hamelin is kicked out. Happy End.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

veekie posted:

1 year later, 95% of the population has been wiped out due to disease. Only Shiroe and company were not because they were the only ones with a member who could clean.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Naotsugu loses his griffon whistle, and there's a frantic search for it as a quest deadline draws near. Only Serera's Housekeeping skills are high enough to find it between the couch cushions.

kazakirinyancat
Sep 8, 2012
I found out from TV tropes (yes, I know) that the author is writing a web novel about the adventures of Kanami as she tries to get back to Japan. She's apparently traveling with an American ninja turtle wannabe and a Chinese gold farming bot that has gained sentience.

The novel is up on the author's website. No translation ongoing far as I can tell.

http://mamare.net/novel/1589/

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I can just barely muddle through it with the assistance of my dictionary.

Hopefully someone does a proper translation though!

kazakirinyancat
Sep 8, 2012

Tarezax posted:

I can just barely muddle through it with the assistance of my dictionary.

Hopefully someone does a proper translation though!

Maybe we can bring it to the attention of the people at Baka Tsuki? They're doing the light novels too.
I wanna read about the adventures of hat lady, ninja turtle, and gold farmer.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

kazakirinyancat posted:

I found out from TV tropes (yes, I know) that the author is writing a web novel about the adventures of Kanami as she tries to get back to Japan. She's apparently traveling with an American ninja turtle wannabe and a Chinese gold farming bot that has gained sentience.

The novel is up on the author's website. No translation ongoing far as I can tell.

I would watch the gently caress out of that OVA/ONA/series.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

kazakirinyancat posted:

Chinese gold farming bot that has gained sentience.

That... sounds amazing.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

kazakirinyancat posted:

This had better be animated.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

Shiroe isn't going to become an actual villain, in a large part because they've made too many jokes about him being a "villain".

Turns out he's the "Villain in Glasses". By the end of this season, Shiroe will take over Akihabara. By the end of the next, he will take over Japan. By the end of the third, he will take over the world. Then he will forever rule the world as its benevolent dictator.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
World optimisation at its finest.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

20 minutes of negotiating about prices, just what I expected.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
How many episodes is this?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

How many episodes is this?

Seem to recall it's two cours.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Demicol posted:

20 minutes of negotiating about prices, just what I expected.
George Lucas could have learned something if he watched this before making episode 1.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
If there was ever doubt that this was written by the same author as Maoyuu, this episode and apparently the next as well should dispel that utterly. It was still pretty decent, though, the fact that everyone apparently got magic spirit advisors was amusing enough to carry the episode.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Lot of reused animation in that episode, I wonder if they're saving up for something big? Regardless, I'm enjoying this a bunch. It's making me wish I could read this guy's light novels.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Evil Thing posted:

World optimisation at its finest.

Don't you mean System Mastery?

Also, we've discovered another use for Scribes other than drawing maps. Seems actually very handy given the relatively larger crafting focus in the game.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
The final episode of this show will be a bunch of people sitting around a table communicating by adjusting their glasses.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I imagine the poop socking guild leader who decided to cancel a raid for the upcoming meeting is some past acquaintance of Shiroe, right? This entire thing is a bit funny, but doing a drat good job at invoking some emotion from poop sockers like myself who have played MMOs in the past by invoking well known stereotypes. God damnit, I'm feeling nostalgic for a non-existent MMORPG here. :suicide:

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Looking forward to the Elder Tale Monopoly expansion! :dance:

.Clash posted:

The final episode of this show will be a bunch of people sitting around a table communicating by adjusting their glasses.

:c00lbert:

And I would be perfectly fine with this as long as Marielle makes an appearance and is scared out of her wits.

Alpha Kenny Juan fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 24, 2013

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This episode is probably the most interesting 20 minutes of talking anime heads, if not ever then drat close.
Because goddamit I've played EvE and I've been in similar discussions about ingame-related matters. My inner mmo-poopsocking-diplonerd boner knows no limits.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

.Clash posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliograph

Although the fact that they only have H, I, E, S, and 5 (or M, O, T, 0, depending on whether they use dots or dashes for each Scary Glasses Flash) really limits the vocabulary. :v: Maybe a left hand adjustment can be "dot" and right hand can be "dash"!

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Xelkelvos posted:

Also, we've discovered another use for Scribes other than drawing maps. Seems actually very handy given the relatively larger crafting focus in the game.

Looks like you need Scribes to transfer information on a level beyond voice chat.

Though Shiroe probably can use his glasses.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
I loved episode 8 even if it was mostly talking.

The way they tugged at the greed strings of the merchant guilds was excellent, they managed to make the whole thing pretty tense what with the little ghost version of each person saying what they actually thought. While everyone kept a mean poker face

I really expected Log Horizon to be a rubbish carbon copy of SA:O, instead its way superior and is easily one of my fav series on at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Funnily enough, to me it feels closer to what I expected SAO to be - basically an elaborate ploy to write about a fantasy world. SAO never made any excuses about what it was - it was a game, and if you beat it to got back to reality. Every bit of plot ultimately led towards the final confrontation and that goal. There have been no indications so far the LH will go down that route or that there even is a way to get back to reality.

It is really somewhat disappointing to me that everyone involved seemed to have gotten over the fact that the world is now a videogame in half an episode.

• Locked thread