Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

precision posted:

They really need to make a film version of the book of the making of The Room. Not even kidding.

Who would you cast? And no casting Tommy as himself!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Christoph Waltz

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tonight at Greg's book reading/signing/Q&A thing that I went to, he confirmed that there will be a movie adaptation of The Disaster Artist and he thinks we'll be very excited about who's involved in it :D

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Tonight at Greg's book reading/signing/Q&A thing that I went to, he confirmed that there will be a movie adaptation of The Disaster Artist and he thinks we'll be very excited about who's involved in it :D

With all the celebrity fans of The Room I could see Kirsten Bell as Juliette.

Or Alec Baldwin as Tommy. That would be amazing.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

This is the best news. Although I'm sure it won't be for a year or two.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Nicolas Cage as Tommy Wiseau is the only acceptable answer.

Bonus points if there's an after the credits scene where Wiseau plays Cage.

EDIT: gently caress this, an entire reboot of Face/Off. "OH HAI HONEY, PAPA HAS BRAND NEW BAG HAH?"

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

EDIT: gently caress this, an entire reboot of Face/Off. "OH HAI HONEY, PAPA HAS BRAND NEW BAG HAH?"

Only if Greg gets the Travolta part. :colbert:

edit: "OH NO, NOT THE BEES! YOU ARE TEARING ME APART, BEES! WHY YOU DO THIS?!"

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 19, 2014

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Only if Greg gets the Travolta part. :colbert:

edit: "OH NO, NOT THE BEES! YOU ARE TEARING ME APART, BEES! WHY YOU DO THIS?!"

HOW COULD YOU BURN DOLL?!? I FED UP WIT THIS WORRRL

EDIT: If I was Wiseau, I would totally do a series where I insert myself into classic movies. Just imagine Quint's USS Indianapolis speech if Hooper said "Hah, what a story Quint!" at the end.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

EDIT: If I was Wiseau, I would totally do a series where I insert myself into classic movies. Just imagine Quint's USS Indianapolis speech if Hooper said "Hah, what a story Quint!" at the end.

You all are knowing me, and how I am working. I catch the fish, but it be very hard. BAD FISH! Not like going to pond, fishing trout or tuna. This shark, he will tear you apart! Some shaking and baking, and then you drown! And you do it fast for the tourists, no Mickey Nouse stuff. Not going to be nice, huh? I value my suit more than three thousand dollars. I just find for three, but I catch, kill, maybe eat for ten. But you need to all make up minds. If staying alive is what you are wanting, pay me my money, okay? If you are wanting to be Mickey Mouse chickens, live on water and bread. No volunteers, no mateys, captains are too many around here! Remember, ten thousand gets me by myself, and I give you head, tail, drat everything, huh?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

If you yelling "barracuda", the people say 'WHAT you TALKING about?' but if you yell "shark" you maybe have panic stampeding?

"Pippet! Pippet! Come on Pippet!" "Oh, bye doggie!"

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

"This is the beginnings of a beautiful friendship, and I love Lisa so much."

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
This is fun, but hard as balls trying to find one that translates to Wiseau really well sometimes.

Sons of Scottishland! I am being William Wallace. And I am seeing whole army of my countrypeoples, here fighting the tyranny. You've come now to fight while being free men... and free men you are still being. What will you do with that freedom, hah? Will you be fighting, hah? Yes, fight and maybe you be dead. Be running, and you'll live for little bit. But dying in beds, when you is old and sick, would you be want to be willing to trade everydays, from this day to tomorrow, for one chance, just the one chance, to come back today and be telling our enemies that while they may be taking our lives, they will never be taking... OUR FREEDOMS!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

"Heey! You put dat bunneh back in dat box please, now."

"Hehe...I knew you was a punk...and I was right. You've been playing us all along. You're a free man.."

"Did you not hear me? Are yoo tipsy or somethin? I said put bunny back in box! I wont not ask agaiin!"

"HeheheAHAHAHAHAHAAH!"

*throws bunny, attacks Tommy*

*Tommy kills Nick Chinlund*

"Ahh...why did you not listen? Dis whole thing could been easy. Why did you not put bunny back in box!? Hah Hah Eh Hah."

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

What's the matter McFly? Are you maybe a chicken? CHEEEEP CHEEP CHEEP CHEEP

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Don of Corleone, I am being honored and being grateful that you has invited me at your home on this wedding day of you daughter. And I hope they first child is being very masculine, no being little chicken!.

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012
It would also be pretty "great" to have Wiseau versions of classic children's shows

"Oh Hai Arnold!" *22 minute gratuitous sex scene*

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Enjoyed this book a lot. It makes you feel a bit sorry for Tommy (supposing a lot of the author's descriptions of his background are accurate) while still making him come across as incompetent and insufferable.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
I am herr for chewing on the gum and to kick yours rear end. But the gum is all gone?

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
So the inevitable has happened, someone did some research and uncovered records of people who are almost certainly Tommy's family. Assuming the book is accurate and Greg didn't do something crazy and copy the identities of a bunch of real people to build a fake story of Tommy's past or something - case closed, he's Polish.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
I'm curious about what Wiseau thinks about this book. Considering how he's portrayed as a fiercely private person, I can't imagine how Greg could get his approval for this.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Forgall posted:

I'm curious about what Wiseau thinks about this book. Considering how he's portrayed as a fiercely private person, I can't imagine how Greg could get his approval for this.

According to Sestero's interview with Doug Walker, he "Support book fifty percent, hah?"

I finished it over the weekend and, well, wow. I hadn't really pegged The Room as something as unique as it may be. The surrealist American dream is really remarkable. Even if his flight from Poland and episodes in France were completely fabricated, Wiseau may be a more important contemporary figure than his terrible movie first appears. Here's a man, enamored with Hollywood, who builds an empire chasing a futile dream. A dream that absolutely breaks him, but never seems to stop driving him. And, now, personally both believes himself to have succeded fully and is widely regarded as a madman for doing so. Wiseau may well be a sociopath, but The Room may just be the tragedy he intended it to be.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

The Time Dissolver posted:

I am herr for chewing on the gum and to kick yours rear end. But the gum is all gone?

This censor taker tried to test my brain so I ates liver with some favorite beans and nice Chee-aunty. *horrible slurping noises*

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"I feddap wid Jedi Council."

"Didn't make you a Master, huh?"

"That sonuvabitch Obi-Wan said I would get it when I join Council. They betray me, they didn't keep their promise, and I don't care anymore."

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Forgall posted:

At Greg's book event I went to on Friday, someone asked what Tommy's reaction to the book was and Greg said that Tommy was iffy about it at first but by now he's probably read it at least 12 times and he refers to it as "the red bible".

Also I saw on Facebook that Tommy's going to be in attendance at Greg's next book event, so he must be cool with it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

At Greg's book event I went to on Friday, someone asked what Tommy's reaction to the book was and Greg said that Tommy was iffy about it at first but by now he's probably read it at least 12 times and he refers to it as "the red bible".

I'd be willing to bet that Tommy's okay with it because it's attention.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I just saw this on reddit, and you guys need to see it and the story behind it: https://pay.reddit.com/r/theroom/comments/1w4xw0/we_met_tommy_wiseau_and_greg_sestero_at_a_book/

Classic Tommy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The perfect role for Tommy Wiseau.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Listen to me. Pay attention, this the important part. OK, so you need to throw the acid in children's face if I ask. No Mickey Mouse poo poo! You work, you getting caught and then dying. Is no other way. Maybe in thousand year, things not be so bad. But you and me, we are the dead ones. OK now you go, and get that awful wine smell with you! Ha ha, I joke with you!

precision fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 31, 2014

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I just chewed through this book in a sitting. I was expecting light-hearted comedy and was surprised by how creepy, scary, and downright depressing and sad it could get. What a wild ride through a deranged man's life and emotions. I highly recommend reading this to fans of The Room, people interested in movie making, and anyone looking for a funny yet heart-breaking look at a man who has all the money in the world yet struggles desperately to find happiness.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

HEY EVERYBODY! I got announcement to make! We expecting!

http://www.deadline.com/2014/02/james-franco-disaster-artist-movie-the-room/

quote:

James Franco’s Rabbit Bandini Productions has optioned book and life rights DisasterArtistto The Disaster Artist: My Life Inside The Room, the book published last fall by Simon & Schuster from actor Greg Sestero and journalist Tom Bissell. francoFranco will direct and co-produce the book adaptation with his Rabbit Bandini partner Vince Jolivette, and Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg’s Point Grey Productions. Ryan Moody is writing the script.

Sestero and Tommy Wiseau co-wrote and starred in the 2003 feature film The Room, which some have called the worst movie ever made. Wiseau directed, produced and financed the pic, which was self-released only in Southern California before word-of-mouth spread. It has since achieved cult status for its hole-filled plot and poor production values, earning it a place in the midnight show slots usually occupied by pics like Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Among the Room converts is the CAA-repped Franco, who reviewed the book on Vice in December, calling Wiseau “part vampire, part Hollywood dreamer, part gangster, part Ed Wood, and super lonely” and equating the novel to being a combination of Boogie Nights and The Master and praising it for going beyond being just a bunch of anecdotes from the set of a bad movie. Last month, Franco posted on Instagram that the book was his: ”A new Franco joint, starring both Francos – produced by seth and evan Wazzup now?!”

Oh man. This is going to be something amazing. I can feel it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
After Spring Breakers, I believe James Franco can totally play Tommy circa 14 years ago. gently caress yes.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

CelticPredator posted:

HEY EVERYBODY! I got announcement to make! We expecting!

http://www.deadline.com/2014/02/james-franco-disaster-artist-movie-the-room/

Oh man. This is going to be something amazing. I can feel it.

This is no Mickey Mouse stuff!

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I loved the acting class scenes, they were like Andy Kaufman routines.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

savinhill posted:

I loved the acting class scenes, they were like Andy Kaufman routines.

I would murder to be a fly on the wall for either of the sonnet or Streetcar scenes.

edit: If the film adaptation actually gets any Oscar nominations or wins, I will laugh my rear end off.

edit2: VV Precisely like Ed Wood. I love that movie.

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 9, 2014

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Ensign_Ricky posted:

edit: If the film adaptation actually gets any Oscar nominations or wins, I will laugh my rear end off.

like, say, Ed Wood?

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

Last night on Twitter:

@TommyWiseau posted:

Who ever gets to act for me in the movie should contact me and I can direct you first before you get directed by James franc.I know me

If you aren't following Tommy on Twitter, you're loving up. He doesn't update often but what's there is good.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

DannyTanner posted:

Last night on Twitter:

If you aren't following Tommy on Twitter, you're loving up. He doesn't update often but what's there is good.

Holy poo poo, it's like some Zen riddle!

quote:

How can you walk in someone else shoes? You don't have same feet! Use your own shoes. Shoes don't get you where you want. Feet do

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Room's official Facebook posted this

with the caption

quote:

Entertainment Weekly hints at The Disaster Artist: My Life Inside The Room film casting. Dave Franco as Greg Sestero?

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/02/08/james-franco-greg-sestero-the-room/

Disaster Artist
http://www.amazon.com/The-Disaster-Artist-Inside-Greatest/dp/1451661193
I think Davey looks the part but it would be pretty weird if he played Greg and his brother played Tommy.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I read an article in Harper's a few years back that mentioned that Wiseau made a short documentary about homelessness that wasn't completely terrible, and I'm pretty sure that it never came up in the book. This is weird, since that article was written by Tom Bissell, who co-wrote The Disaster Artist.

I also get the feeling that Greg knows more than he's letting on about this Drew Caffrey guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wait, this article on The Verge says Franco is starring in it. I didn't know that had been confirmed. But the article lead me to this on Instagram:
So I guess the brothers really will be playing Greg and Tommy? :stare:

• Locked thread