Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think it could work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeez
May 28, 2012

DannyTanner posted:

Last night on Twitter:

If you aren't following Tommy on Twitter, you're loving up. He doesn't update often but what's there is good.

Has that ever been confirmed as his? It seems legit but I've never been able to tell for sure.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

Baron von der Loon posted:

I want this book turned into a movie. It'd make for an excellent feel-good comedy movie.
Just for once I can say that I called it. Absolutely psyched about the possibility of a movie being made.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I sort of want Wiseau to play himself, but obviously that's impossible. I feel like trying to direct him to play himself would send him swinging back to the other side of the spectrum and he'd just metamorph into James Dean as he always hoped to be.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I sort of want Wiseau to play himself, but obviously that's impossible. I feel like trying to direct him to play himself would send him swinging back to the other side of the spectrum and he'd just metamorph into James Dean as he always hoped to be.

Have you seen Spring Breakers? James Franco is basically the perfect man for the role. Tommy Wiseau is essentially just a different version of Alien.

"Some people about change. Want to change world. Not me. I'm about stacking up change! All this poo poo, this poo poo is all mine! Look at poo poo! I smell nice, I have the nunchucks, my bed is no Mickey Mouse stuff, is art piece!"

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I want Wiseau to play himself and be so weird on the shoot again that Franco has to write a behind-the-scenes book about it, which gets made into a movie itself with Wiseau starring in it again, and so on.

It's Wiseaus all the way down.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

MorgaineDax posted:

I want Wiseau to play himself and be so weird on the shoot again that Franco has to write a behind-the-scenes book about it, which gets made into a movie itself with Wiseau starring in it again, and so on.

It's Wiseaus all the way down.

:psyboom:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Seeing other actors recreate scenes from the original movie is going to be amazing.

Who's gonna play Chris-R? That's what I wanna know.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

Christopher Walken.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Xylorjax posted:

Christopher Walken.

You'd take a national treasure like Walken and relegate his talent to simply "WHERE'S MY loving MONEY, DENNY?!"?

Nah, let Dan...ArmenianLastName play himself. Because he kinda scares me.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Pretty sure we need Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson for Chris-R's character.

Or Mark Wahlberg.

I recently watched Pain & Gain, apologies.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

Ensign_Ricky posted:

You'd take a national treasure like Walken and relegate his talent to simply "WHERE'S MY loving MONEY, DENNY?!"?

Nah, let Dan...ArmenianLastName play himself. Because he kinda scares me.

That's not a bad idea either, but I was just picturing angry Walken yelling at, say, Shia LeBouf Denny.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Xylorjax posted:

That's not a bad idea either, but I was just picturing angry Walken yelling at, say, Shia LeBouf Denny.

Actually, that's kinda spot-on casting. Why can I see the beef playing that role so easily???

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

The Room's FB page posted this as someone's dream cast kind of deal, and I'd be all for it.

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1/1511801_10152301513479497_1906670890_n.jpg

The book was fantastic, I had to order the signed version to go with my signed Blu-Ray of the movie. I'm very excited for this film adaptation.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jon Voight is way too old to play Tommy, but I'd still like to see it. Also the rest of that cast list looks perfect. I hope they end up going with at least some of those choices. Michael Cera as Denny would have me dying laughing.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I do not want to see Ryan Seacrest's blowjob face.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

I do not want to see Jon Voight's bare thrusting rear end.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Xylorjax posted:

I do not want to see Jon Voight's bare thrusting rear end.

Whoever plays Tommy, I hope they use him as a body double for the rear end scenes.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

savinhill posted:

Whoever plays Tommy, I hope they use him as a body double for the rear end scenes.

Tommy has to show his rear end, or the movie won't sell!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The rear end shot scares my wife!

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

CelticPredator posted:

The rear end shot scares my wife!

I'm pretty sure it scares God Himself.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Room's sex scenes are The Room of The Room.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I'm halfways through the book and it's good on many levels. The difficulties of a young actor who wants to make it, the pathetic, scary delusion of a damaged immigrant trying to american-dream himself into someone else, the story behind the weird things in the movies. It's all interesting and nicely presented.

It's a shame we already know the ending, though. Without context, I'd be betting on the book taking a dark turn and Tommy gutting Sestero and wearing his skin to a casting call. Or pulling a Se7en and beheading Sestero's pregnant wife.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Sephyr posted:

I'm halfways through the book and it's good on many levels. The difficulties of a young actor who wants to make it, the pathetic, scary delusion of a damaged immigrant trying to american-dream himself into someone else, the story behind the weird things in the movies. It's all interesting and nicely presented.

It's a shame we already know the ending, though. Without context, I'd be betting on the book taking a dark turn and Tommy gutting Sestero and wearing his skin to a casting call. Or pulling a Se7en and beheading Sestero's pregnant wife.

That is being saved for part 2.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
I hope Tommy plays himself in the movie, he would have no idead what was going on

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
You guys should follow Greg on twitter.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jabronie posted:

:lol: Yeah, at the Disaster Artist event I went to, Greg brought a copy of the original script and brought audience members on stage to act out that part and a few others. Needless to say I couldn't control my laughter.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Jabronie posted:

Holy poo poo, they need to release that whole thing to the public because drat.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Old Man Donkey?

:ramsay:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

EvanSchenck posted:

After reading the book I thought there were two possibilities, or some combination of them:
(1) Tommy made the fortune himself, probably by trading in Asian knockoffs of fashionable clothing and accessories. He says at some point that his business involves importing leather jackets from Korea. It may be that he somehow became a major importer of bootleg junk and was wholesaling it around California, and then he made some fortunate land purchases with that money that multiplied his wealth after the real estate market in SF exploded. Sestero rightly points out that professional criminals wouldn't trust a guy like Tommy to do much of anything, but counterfeit jeans is a pretty low-intensity criminal enterprise. It's not exactly running heroin.
(2) Tommy inherited his money, not from his family, but from Drew Caffrey, who was posthumously credited executive producer on The Room. Tommy's sexuality is a pretty obvious subtext in the book, and in the biographical sketches that Sestero assembled there are repeated references to older men trying to pick him up. Speculatively, maybe this Caffrey guy had money and owned the real estate, and Wiseau was with him in a long-term relationship and wound up the beneficiary of Caffrey's will when he died.
Your #2 possibility is bizarre, but entirely plausible. I roomed with a gay man who also spent some time living in a queer commune, and he had known a few well-to-do elderly gay men who had little to with their estate but donate it to a community or to a younger friend or lover.

That said, after all the craziness in Wiseau's life, I wouldn't be surprised if it was something as simple and banal as #1. I mean, who says that Street Fashions USA is an illegitimate business? Shady, sure, but selling cheaply-manufactured clothes as "designer" wear at a fat markup is neither illegal nor rare.

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Adventures of Chris-R would be an amazing movie. Just an hour and a half of him holding a gun to someone's head and yelling "WHERE'S MY loving MONEY?" over and over.
I see it as being like Flesh, where Chris-R has to wander around the city demanding his loving money from a series of weird people, then gets bored and falls asleep.

Beeez posted:

Yeah, I can buy most of the story Greg says Tommy has told him of his past, but I bet there's a lot more degradation we're not privy to, especially with all the emphasis the book places on mysterious old men taking a shine to Tommy, one of which is confirmed to have tried to convince Tommy to "suck him off". On one hand I respect them for not elaborating on every lurid detail because even someone as crazy and histrionic as Tommy deserves some privacy, but this book does make me even more curious about certain aspects of Tommy Wiseau's life. As creepy and manipulative and histrionic as he's portrayed, the book also made me pity Tommy a lot more in a weird way. It really does seem like, at least at the time the book is discussing, Greg was the only person rescuing Tommy from complete loneliness.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I finished it over the weekend and, well, wow. I hadn't really pegged The Room as something as unique as it may be. The surrealist American dream is really remarkable. Even if his flight from Poland and episodes in France were completely fabricated, Wiseau may be a more important contemporary figure than his terrible movie first appears. Here's a man, enamored with Hollywood, who builds an empire chasing a futile dream. A dream that absolutely breaks him, but never seems to stop driving him. And, now, personally both believes himself to have succeded fully and is widely regarded as a madman for doing so. Wiseau may well be a sociopath, but The Room may just be the tragedy he intended it to be.

Evil Mastermind posted:

What amazes me about the behind-the-scenes stuff is how utterly lacking Tommy is when it comes to basic empathy. He doesn't seem to understand other people except in relation to himself and what he wants. And when he gets cornered on something, he honestly doesn't seem to get how to deal with it.
I'm about 2/3rds through the book and just reached the part where Tommy goes flying down the road while throwing a temper tantrum at Greg for talking about him to all those friends.

Tommy's not the first filmmaker with an irreconcilable desire for both publicity and privacy, but his deep insecurity regarding the most superficial facts about himself is in a class by itself. It doesn't seem to occur to him that he can't be a celebrity and a cipher at the same time.

It's very telling that he's fascinated with James Dean and Marlon Brando, the handsome young All-American filled to the brim with inner turmoil. I don't think Wiseau really wanted to be an actor, or even a star. It's just a typical American dream, one that a man could delude himself into thinking he can buy his way into...and Tommy is very rich and so terribly alienated and alone.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm about 2/3rds through the book and just reached the part where Tommy goes flying down the road while throwing a temper tantrum at Greg for talking about him to all those friends.

I know I've said this before, but at that point in the book I was honestly scared for Greg's life. Like, my actual thought was "Oh God, Tommy's going to kill Greg!" It was closely followed by "wait, Greg wrote this," but still.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm not going to say that Tommy is a psychopath (that always seems to me like an easy answer), but he certainly seems constitutionally incapable of understanding any perspective but his own incredibly bizarre one. The only time he seems to be able to relate to other people is in terms of a battle of wills.

He definitely comes across to me as a narcissist in the same vein as Brando: a wounded child who manipulates others with aggressive and inappropriate behavior just to be reassured that he matters. It's evident in the way he handles his money: he'll throw away millions as long as it was his idea, but he'll fight you over a nickel if giving it to you feels to him like a personal surrender.

Jitzu_the_Monk posted:

One thing I like about the book is that Greg Sestero doesn't use the book to gloss over his own faults as he lays Tommy's bare. Oftentimes throughout the book Greg comes off as a self-absorbed jerk.
I both love and hate professional cowriters because while they probably save a lot of autobiographies from being an unreadable mess, they also obscure what's genuinely coming from the primary author. It seems to me that Sestero has a good sense of his own and others' motivations and the ability to be honest about it, and that it's served him well (along with being a very photogenic son of a bitch).

Evil Mastermind posted:

How in the holy hell did Wiseau not get lynched? I mean, seriously, he treated everyone (except Greg) like utter poo poo, to the point of making Juliette Danielle (Lisa) cry in front of everyone and refusing to pay the entire crew because they said mean things about him.
My best guess is that when Tommy wasn't being insufferable on set or being a miser about "perks," he was paying a lot of people a lot of money to spend hours doing nothing, and a production that drags on and on is still a steady paycheck.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Halloween Jack posted:

It's very telling that he's fascinated with James Dean and Marlon Brando, the handsome young All-American filled to the brim with inner turmoil. I don't think Wiseau really wanted to be an actor, or even a star. It's just a typical American dream, one that a man could delude himself into thinking he can buy his way into...and Tommy is very rich and so terribly alienated and alone.

I liked Sestero's observation (when Tommy has given him a copy of the script for The Room to review) about how Johnny probably reflects what Tommy thinks is the American Dream; a job in a bank where he makes them bundles but still passed over for promotions, spends all his free time tossing around a football, with a thoroughly unpleasant fiancée fyoocha-wife who's cheating on him with his best friend.

It's been a while since I read the book, but I actually wonder if Tommy's apparent aversion to French is why Lisa is never his "fiancée" in the film, but always his "fyoocha-wife".

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I just started reading this and I can't say I'm surprised that a guy who looks like a vampire happens to have a weird fixation on them.
:downs:: "This park look like perfect place for vampire, I think vampire from Alcatraz live here."

There's tons of great little details that just go by and are never dwelled on or mentioned again. Like Tommy's weird phobia of deer or how he just casually mentions that he has dreams where Greg kills him. Tommy's also even creepier in real life than he was in the movie. Especially that part where he meets Greg's mom, who tells him not to have sex with her son and he just laughs creepily and says "We all do." I'm not even sure what was going on with the "Somebody's chicken" scene but that was pretty weird.

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

It all comes back to Rebel Without a Cause.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I almost freaked out today on the bus from college. I looked out the window and saw a poster for a theater play with a black&white picture of a Wiseau-like figure sitting in the dark, holding a rose. For a second I was sure that he'd done it again, and now made a movie about Johnny's afterlife.

Turns out it was just a oneman play by some argentinian actor with a...rather unfortunate resemblance to everyone's favorite romanian/french/belorussian/czech cipher. I'll take a picture later and post it here for appreciation.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Celery Face posted:

I just started reading this and I can't say I'm surprised that a guy who looks like a vampire happens to have a weird fixation on them.
:downs:: "This park look like perfect place for vampire, I think vampire from Alcatraz live here."

Lest we forget, the movie almost included Johnny's Flying Vampire Car.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

And so it finally begins.

I think.

http://thefilmstage.com/news/james-franco-to-play-tommy-wiseau-in-his-feature-about-the-making-of-the-room/

quote:

Earlier this year the news dropped that James Franco would be directing and producing a film about the making of what many would say is the worst feature film ever made, Tommy Wiseau‘s The Room. Based on The Disaster Artist: My Life Inside The Room, detailing actor Greg Sestero‘s account on the production of the film, we wagered that Franco himself might take the role of the director, but nothing was confirmed, until now.

Stopping by the Opie & Anthony Show, Seth Rogen revealed that Franco is looking to play Wiseau himself and had much more to say about the production. “This won’t be an expensive movie,” Rogen laughs. “I saw it like 10 years for the first time, like right when it came out. I had just moved to LA and there would be billboards for it and ads and stuff like that. I remember I saw it with Jonah Hill actually, randomly, and then we became obsessed with it, like it was the greatest f*cking thing we had ever seen.”

When it comes to Wiseau’s persona, Rogen says he’s “serious. Totally, totally serious. But that’s what’s interesting as we talk about it and work on the movie. It’s your instinct to just say, ‘F*ck this movie. It’s a horrible piece of sh*t. Why would you do this? What an idiot.’ But what you can’t ignore is that there’s tons of bad movies that aren’t watchable and that no one watches over and over and over again. So there is something that you kind of have to give credit to. Because of all the sh*tty movies, he made one that people still watch ten years later. People love it, so there’s obviously something — no effort of the guy who made it — but there’s something oddly brilliant about it in a way.”

He said,” A lot of movies you get the joke ten minutes in, like, ‘I get it. It sucks.’ It’s not like that. After forty minutes, you’re like, ‘It keeps coming up with new ways to be sh*tty!’ It’s reinventing the sh*tty wheel as the movie goes on. It’s truly amazing.” When it comes to Wiseau himself, Rogen added, “What’s interesting is he’s had to restructure his thoughts on it to some degree. Because he wants the acclaim and attention but all that’s associated with somewhat acknowledging that it sucks sh*t. So I think he’s kind of in a weird position where he goes to the Q&A’s and introduces the screenings and I think now he kind of pretends, ‘oh, it’s a dark comedy’ or something like that. But it’s so clear that he’s wounded and torn. Which is interesting also — a guy who has to go around and perpetuate something that’s being received for all the wrong reasons, basically.”

Working with Sestero on the project, Rogen went on to say, “His character would be the star of the movie. But yeah, it’s crazy. He’s still friends with Tommy. Again, for Greg, it’s bizarre too because he wanted to be a serious actor and he ends up in that. He knows it sucks though, as it’s happening. But he, at the same time, seems to be like, it’s a movie. Somebody’s actually making a movie.” As for the attraction to the material Rogen said, “I think people like the idea of people whose ambition way outweighs their talents. Like there might be something inspiring to people about that. It’s like, this guy didn’t care? Why should I care? He wanted to make a f*cking movie and he didn’t let the fact that he didn’t have any idea how to do it stop him from doing that. There’s something endearing about that.” So, we’ll have to see if Franco can make that come across as he directs, produces, and now stars.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Franco needs to do a quick youtube video of him in a black wig screaming "YOU'RE TEARING ME APAHT, LISA!!" immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

Currently $2 on Amazon as part of Kindle Daily Deal.

• Locked thread