Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CommieGIR posted:

It will be diesel converted. I told her that was the condition

I have been wanting one with the 5 cylinder diesel. Its a tractor engine but reliable.

But seriously. After getting stuck driving the future wife's sonata in the snow and then getting back in to the Rover there's no contest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The 20v really does drive like a truck, all the power is in the upper half of the revs. Crazy feeling.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 8, 2015

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Oh man thats fuckin sweet.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

CommieGIR posted:

The 20v really does drive like a truck, all the power is in the upper half of the revs. Crazy feeling.

I got the same feeling when I did the 16v swap on my Scirocco. Engine didn't feel any different and probably marginally worse than my 8v in the low revs but as soon as you hit 4k rpm it just takes off.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Im putting a TDI in my Scirocco so its going to be the total opposite. I love on demand torque though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fart Pipe posted:

Im putting a TDI in my Scirocco so its going to be the total opposite. I love on demand torque though.

That is the trick, the TDI loses the horses, but the low end torque lets you move like a bat out of hell, it just takes a little bit longer to get to hell.

1500quidporsche posted:

I got the same feeling when I did the 16v swap on my Scirocco. Engine didn't feel any different and probably marginally worse than my 8v in the low revs but as soon as you hit 4k rpm it just takes off.

It was so weird, I was almost disappointed driving around the neighborhood after picked it up, and then I got on the highway and got into the upper revs, completely different animal.

I'm probably going to replace the wheels, I'm not a huge fan of the BBS stocks.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 8, 2015

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

CommieGIR posted:

It was so weird, I was almost disappointed driving around the neighborhood after picked it up, and then I got on the highway and got into the upper revs, completely different animal

Yeah when I first swapped the engine in I was going easy on it trying to see if there was any problems (Yup, detonation issues thanks to spark plug wires) and was extremely disappointed. I remember thinking what a waste of time it was and was concerned that I had bought a lemon engine. Once I got ignition sorted I was pretty happy, it requires a different sort of driving style that makes you look like a dick but its enjoyable.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
As promised, a quick video of the drive.

I really need a Go Pro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLkwrJu4c3I&list=UUgIrijo82AYT8DdT9WjunwQ

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
AWESOME. The juxtaposition of the classical music on the radio and the growl of the motor was an interesting, if unintended, touch

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TWSS posted:

AWESOME. The juxtaposition of the classical music on the radio and the growl of the motor was an interesting, if unintended, touch

The phone really just didn't capture the audio well, the throb of that engine is impressive when at cruise.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Sounds good, dude. You should get a better microphone or something so you can record it!

Makes me really miss messing around with 5-cylinder Audis.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Audi 90s first repair!

Replace the smashed headlight and turn signal:

Before:

During:

After:

Can't run the turn signals yet due to damage to the bulb holder, but that's a quick fix once I get a new one. And yes, I have the matching clear turn signal for the drivers side, but its guard weekend, no time to replace it for now.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 10, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
A chilling discovery: Thermostat must be stuck open or removed. Engine never warms up

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

God drat cooling system.

(I know it's the wrong brand, shut up)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fucknag posted:

God drat cooling system.

(I know it's the wrong brand, shut up)

At least its cooling, just too damned much.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

A chilling discovery: Thermostat must be stuck open or removed. Engine never warms up

Could also just be a lovely parts-store thermostat with no jiggle pin, worn out wax, or a fragile spring.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Could also just be a lovely parts-store thermostat with no jiggle pin, worn out wax, or a fragile spring.

Could be, noticed recently that at key on and before cranking, the radiator fan runs up too, so the fan thermostat switch may be bad.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Superiorgermanbuildquality.txt

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Superiorgermanbuildquality.txt

Car runs and drives. What, you wanted COMFORT? Nein!

We gave you heated seats, plebe, that is ALL you need. No heater, that is for the ubermensch only!

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 14, 2015

intheflesh
Nov 4, 2008
On these motors, its always a good idea to have an extra coolant overflow tank cap or two around. Apparently the check valve in them dies quicker than normal, especially in higher altitudes, and doesn't allow the system to fully pressurize, which may be a contributing factor to the car not warming up. It seems to give a little bit of warning when its about to die, the car won't warm up for a long time, then be crazy hot, then fluctuate all over the middle third of the temp gauge much quicker than a normally operating car would.
Its only like $15, so it's a good idea to have an extra couple just in case. Otherwise you may end up replacing it with a cheap one, trying to drive across country, having the cheap one you just bought from NAPA have the check valve fail CLOSED, then over-pressurizing the coolant system causing your radiator to burst, turning your lovely road trip into a week long stay in Buttfuck, Montana. Ask me how I know

These are amazing cars when they run right, and actually aren't that complicated to fix, especially if you are used to late 80s early 90s VAG fuckery. I had mine for a few years, sold it with just over 300k miles. The 5 cyl makes a hellish almost haunting shriek, and now I'm looking at craigslist being sad there is no more room in the driveway

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

Car runs and drives. What, you wanted COMFORT? Nein!

We gave you heated seats, plebe, that is ALL you need. No heater, that is for the ubermensch only!

Still have fond childhood memories of my dad somehow getting his beetle started in -30C weather and me practically getting frost bite in the back seat on any trip. It truly was a people's car.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

intheflesh posted:

On these motors, its always a good idea to have an extra coolant overflow tank cap or two around. Apparently the check valve in them dies quicker than normal, especially in higher altitudes, and doesn't allow the system to fully pressurize, which may be a contributing factor to the car not warming up. It seems to give a little bit of warning when its about to die, the car won't warm up for a long time, then be crazy hot, then fluctuate all over the middle third of the temp gauge much quicker than a normally operating car would.
Its only like $15, so it's a good idea to have an extra couple just in case. Otherwise you may end up replacing it with a cheap one, trying to drive across country, having the cheap one you just bought from NAPA have the check valve fail CLOSED, then over-pressurizing the coolant system causing your radiator to burst, turning your lovely road trip into a week long stay in Buttfuck, Montana. Ask me how I know

These are amazing cars when they run right, and actually aren't that complicated to fix, especially if you are used to late 80s early 90s VAG fuckery. I had mine for a few years, sold it with just over 300k miles. The 5 cyl makes a hellish almost haunting shriek, and now I'm looking at craigslist being sad there is no more room in the driveway

I have a couple spare caps from various Audis I've owned, and yeah I know about the overpressure issues, unfortunately thankfully, the radiator has minor leaks, so its not building up a lot of pressure lately.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Got the garage partially cleaned out, so the Audi 4k Quattro can move in, and I've got a 3B ECU and wiring harness on order for it.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
That's a good looking workspace you've got. Super jealous of your five-cylinders.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

That's a good looking workspace you've got. Super jealous of your five-cylinders.

I'm jealous of yours as well, hopefully I'll have the 4k running soon.

Gotta clear out the other bay for the TDI so I can remove the turbo for a rebuild.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I'm lagging here... All proper AI garages have at least 1 engine block hanging around.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I'm lagging here... All proper AI garages have at least 1 engine block hanging around.

There's another one against the other wall :)

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Oh poo poo. I didn't even see the one on the stand! So 3 blocks?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Oh poo poo. I didn't even see the one on the stand! So 3 blocks?

Oh, no I thought you saw that one. There are two 5 cylinders in the garage, one on a stand, the other waiting for me to buy another stand.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Got 3 in my shop, EJ25, an AHU TDI and a flathead sitting on a tire. Its actually the least amount of engines Ive had in there in a while.

Love the new Audi, Commie. I think we need more videos of the 5 cylinder sounds :)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fart Pipe posted:

Love the new Audi, Commie. I think we need more videos of the 5 cylinder sounds :)

I need a Go Pro or something that is actually worth a drat.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Fart Pipe posted:

Got 3 in my shop, EJ25, an AHU TDI and a flathead sitting on a tire. Its actually the least amount of engines Ive had in there in a while.

1 stock 5.0
1 modified 5.0
1 ej25
2 ej20
1 ej25 behind the garage out in the snow (dead)

He who dies with the most big pieces of metal wins

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

I need a Go Pro or something that is actually worth a drat.

If you get one get an external mic also. The built in mic blows so much rear end.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Slow is Fast posted:

1 stock 5.0
1 modified 5.0
1 ej25
2 ej20
1 ej25 behind the garage out in the snow (dead)

He who dies with the most big pieces of metal wins

:black101: Soon, I will have more. I'm basically picking up every 5 cylinder Audi/VW motor that pops up on Craigslist, just because they are only getting more and more uncommon.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 19, 2015

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Fart Pipe posted:

If you get one get an external mic also. The built in mic blows so much rear end.

Do you have to get gopro specific ones that hookup over WiFi or something? I've been wanting an external setup for mine but I also need to keep it in the waterproof case since I want to use it sailing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SuperDucky posted:

Do you have to get gopro specific ones that hookup over WiFi or something? I've been wanting an external setup for mine but I also need to keep it in the waterproof case since I want to use it sailing.

There is a Bluetooth microphone setup you can get for the GoPro: http://www.sena.com/product/cameras/bluetoothaudiopackforgopro/

That'd be your best bet, so that you can keep the camera sealed while still being able to have un-sealed audio input.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CommieGIR posted:

:black101: Soon, I will have more. I'm basically picking up every 5 cylinder Audi/VW motor that pops up on Craigslist, just because they are only getting more and more uncommon.

I have seen a couple of of the big V6 (305) engines from a couple of GMC's floating about. They are pretty rare, but they make some pretty decent power for their size. But the parts are starting to become a bitch to get.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Gopro's built in mic is awful. Got some footage of ice rallycross this weekend with a British guy yelling "power" on every straight. Thought I had gold. Went to edit it, you couldn't hear anything... :mad:

Tony quidprano fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 19, 2015

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Commie when can we expect your imported 1990 S2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Commie when can we expect your imported 1990 S2?

When I win the lottery :smith:

Gotta remember: Every vehicle I've purchased I bought for under $2k, most of them even less than $1k.

A 1984 Audi Quattro Sport just went for $400k in auction: http://rmauctions.com/lots/lot.cfm?lot_id=1071873

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 19, 2015

• Locked thread