Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The...uhh... red tint to everything tricks Scott's mind into thinking his eyes are closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
A few days ago I read this quote, perhaps it’s relevant here

Grant Morrison posted:

Kids understand that real crabs don’t sing like the ones in The Little Mermaid. But you give an adult fiction, and the adult starts asking really loving dumb questions like “How does Superman fly? How do those eyebeams work? Who pumps the Batmobile’s tires?” It’s a loving made-up story, you idiot! Nobody pumps the tires!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The official explanation is ruby quartz coincidentally has the same resonant frequency as the Summers family psionic field that protects them from their brand of kinetic powers (also, that's a thing they have.)

So the couple of centimeters between Cyclops' eyes and the lens of his visor/sunglasses is just constantly full of optic blast.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Isn’t it very well established that Alfred maintains the Batmobile? So he’s the one who keeps the tires inflated.

Aphrodite posted:

The official explanation is ruby quartz coincidentally has the same resonant frequency as the Summers family psionic field that protects them from their brand of kinetic powers (also, that's a thing they have.)

Oh ok that makes sense.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Gripweed posted:

Isn’t it very well established that Alfred maintains the Batmobile? So he’s the one who keeps the tires inflated.

Oh ok that makes sense.

Harold maintains the Batmobile. :colbert:

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Gripweed posted:

Alfie's been dead a few years now

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Damien does the tyres now, keeps him off the streets and out of trouble.

Also I realise Morrison's being glib there, but I think the better view is that that stuff only matters if the answer is actually an interesting story.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Joe Fisto posted:

Alfie's been dead a few years now

Picturing the Batmobile needing an oil change for 30,000 miles because Alfred took care of all that and Bruce has no idea.

Like when I had my first car and kept telling my dad I was getting oil changes but didn't.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I thought Jason was in charge of the bat tires?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Gripweed posted:

I still don’t understand how a ruby quartz lens blocks kinetic blasts.

One theory is that it tricks his brain or eyes into thinking he's firing the beams so he really doesn't.

I want him to get full control of his powers and stop using it and then immediately get a faceful of pocket sand.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

So the couple of centimeters between Cyclops' eyes and the lens of his visor/sunglasses is just constantly full of optic blast.

This exact thought popped into my head a few weeks ago when Scott was chewing out the newslady on 97. Thoughts like, “are the glasses skin tight so little bits of optic blast don’t leak out and kill someone in his periphery?” and “why don’t his optic blasts inherently shoot his glasses at sonic speed right through this lady?”

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

One theory is that it tricks his brain or eyes into thinking he's firing the beams so he really doesn't.

I want him to get full control of his powers and stop using it and then immediately get a faceful of pocket sand.

That’s the most reasonable answer I’ve ever seen to this question.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah just don't worry about how the ruby quartz works. He's either constantly blasting his own face as the beams ricochet back or the material tricks his eyes into not blasting or they just dissipate or are absorbed by the material.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Clearly they are a second portal back into the punch dimension

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That is one little thing the Fox movies added. His Oakleys had little horse blinders on the sides.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
In the latest episode, I'm not spoiling this because it has nothing to do with the plot: Rogue does a kick and the animation on it, to me, looks like a callback to Thundercats Panthro's kick in the intro. Just want to know if anyone else thinks the same.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

So am I just stupid or do I not understand who the villain at the end of the latest X-Men 97 episode is?

EDIT: Okay, was able to look it up and I have never heard of or seen this character before.

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 24, 2024

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah just don't worry about how the ruby quartz works. He's either constantly blasting his own face as the beams ricochet back or the material tricks his eyes into not blasting or they just dissipate or are absorbed by the material.

I just wanted to say I always read your posts in Scott's voice.

Due to your avatar being his best day ever.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Diabetic posted:

In the latest episode, I'm not spoiling this because it has nothing to do with the plot: Rogue does a kick and the animation on it, to me, looks like a callback to Thundercats Panthro's kick in the intro. Just want to know if anyone else thinks the same.

Almost definitely a Super Inazuma Kick and/or Rider Kick reference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv7cW_ijtQQ

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

I just wanted to say I always read your posts in Scott's voice.

Due to your avatar being his best day ever.

I'll always say he's never ever looked as happy as he has in that panel. He's so happy that he's about to enjoy a great cheesesteak.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Diabetic posted:

It’s a Rider Kick, but so is Panthro’s kick and the other eight billion kicks people think of. It’s Kamen all the way down.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

notthegoatseguy posted:

So am I just stupid or do I not understand who the villain at the end of the latest X-Men 97 episode is?

EDIT: Okay, was able to look it up and I have never heard of or seen this character before.

I know nothing about him except that he came with my Haslab Sentinel so now I'm mostly happy to have him.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
In regards to the villain it's Bastion from Operation Zero Tolerance but it sounded like Sinister said he had failed in the past as well when Bastion called out Sinister for losing since 1992, and I was trying to think if Bastion ever appeared in the 90s series or if he took over a different villain from the original show

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Madkal posted:

In regards to the villain it's Bastion from Operation Zero Tolerance but it sounded like Sinister said he had failed in the past as well when Bastion called out Sinister for losing since 1992, and I was trying to think if Bastion ever appeared in the 90s series or if he took over a different villain from the original show

They’re part Nimrod who was in the OG series.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Mr. Maltose posted:

It’s a Rider Kick, but so is Panthro’s kick and the other eight billion kicks people think of. It’s Kamen all the way down.

It really is impossible to overstate the effect Kamen Rider had on the depiction of fictional kicks.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I have now seen the Rider Kick, and about 8000 things that have influenced my favorite media for the last 40 years. I guess I gotta start watching Kamen Rider. I do know they had a one season US version called Masked Rider.

Also, apparently the animators intended it to be a Kamen reference and one of Rogue's moves from the VS series.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It might be a little overwhelming but Amazon Prime has Hideki Anno's Shin Masked Rider which is another of his reimagining of a classic Japanese property.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Don't watch Masked Rider. It's not good. They did the Power Rangers thing where they used the fight footage from a Japanese show and filmed new stuff so the hero was a white guy with a cute animal sidekick. The series they used was Kamen Rider Black RX, which is much better than Masked Rider. And has a fantastic theme song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV5l-Nt18o4

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Amazon also has some of the other kamen riders shows available too.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I feel I would be remiss if I didn't post the link to Toei 's official youtube channel.

TOEI TOKUSATSU WORLD OFFICIAL
https://www.youtube.com/@toeitokusatsuworldofficial2399

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The dialogue was especially clever this episode. Nightcrawler's eulogy being filled with wordplay while also being heartfelt, Beast's teardown of the reporter, Cyke's discussion with the President (love the camera staring Cyclops in the face as he repeats "Optics?"), Emma's brief joke, and Rogue's teardown of Cap. The show keeps nailing all its lines.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Codependent Poster posted:

I'll always say he's never ever looked as happy as he has in that panel. He's so happy that he's about to enjoy a great cheesesteak.

He really does look happier than he ever been in that panel. He's looking at it and thinking "this is gonna be real good".

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I hope Emma joins the team.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I can't imagine they went to the convoluted trouble of giving Emma diamond powers if they didn't have some plans to use her. She's arguably the biggest post-Claremont X-character and they are trying to move into that territory. I could see her joining the team to have an abrasive rivalry with Jean to replace the usual Scott/Logan friction. Or she could replace Jean as the team telepath in season 2 after a heroic sacrifice on Jean's part.

But then again, they did seemingly kill off Maddie rather abruptly after surprisingly teasing her as an ongoing recurring.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

iceyman posted:

But then again, they did seemingly kill off Maddie rather abruptly after surprisingly teasing her as an ongoing recurring.

Hey, it's (a clone of) Jean Grey, when has a little thing like death ever stopped them from recurring? :v:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I mean they're in the 90s X-Men era, they could do the "Jean/Maddie survived but somehow transferred her consciousness into Emma Frost" like in Uncanny 281 :D

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

iceyman posted:

I can't imagine they went to the convoluted trouble of giving Emma diamond powers if they didn't have some plans to use her. She's arguably the biggest post-Claremont X-character and they are trying to move into that territory. I could see her joining the team to have an abrasive rivalry with Jean to replace the usual Scott/Logan friction. Or she could replace Jean as the team telepath in season 2 after a heroic sacrifice on Jean's part.

I took it as just a nod to the original story, similar to how Morph turned into Magik/The Dark Child during the Inferno episode. That said, nothing stopping them from bringing her back later if they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MuscaDomestica
Apr 27, 2017

Jean: All the horror of their last moments... fear and sadness... except for Mactaggert who's last thought was "oh no not again"